Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Maybe I'm dumb but isn't Rand Paul one of the people that will only be satisfied with zero health care, repeal only type poo poo?

I get all my Rand Pauls, Paul Ryan, Ayn Rands, and Ron Pauls ideas mixed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the issue though, there's not a good way to establish that illegal spying (or illegal information sharing where it's not outright spying) is not still going on and from the information that has gotten out there's good evidence that these agencies have regularly flouted the law. If there was legitimate oversight it would be a different conversation, but recent leaks have been very clear that intelligence agencies are outright lying to the people that are supposed to have the authority to reign them in - and this has not resulted in any consequences.

If you ignore everything else, then sure, the CIA should be developing these tools and we should not be hearing about it. But in the context of what we've learned about intelligence agencies in recent history :nsa:.

The oversight thing is what I'm concerned about. I can't think of a good way to confirm if an oversight committee is actually making sure no illegal spying is going on or if the committee is just telling the public nothing illegal is going on without putting everything out for the public to see.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I just can't understand what kind of special moron thinks that a nation-state conducting legitimate foreign intelligence activities is not right or appropriate. Like how do you come to that conclusion, it's a beyond stupid point of view.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

DoktorLoken posted:

I just can't understand what kind of special moron thinks that a nation-state conducting legitimate foreign intelligence activities is not right or appropriate. Like how do you come to that conclusion, it's a beyond stupid point of view.

Maybe because the CIA has a long and storied history of doing things above and beyond the realm of normal intelligence activities? Like, fine, they do spy poo poo, everyone does that. They also have carried out assassinations and overthrew democratically elected governments, in addition to trafficked narcotics to fund black operations.

Lets not pretend the CIA is some innocent and law abiding agency, it's clearly not.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not to mention killed JFK

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

The Iron Rose posted:

See poo poo like this is why I was pissed about Manning's commutation.
I was also against Manning being treated that way, its sets precedent that you may not get hosed for leaking, and another one happened. I'm more concerned over the CIA's tools being leaked to outside parties, and what hacks may happen to other persons or organizations as a result. Also you guys shouldn't give the CIA a pass so easily, they've done very illegal poo poo in the past under the guise of of "BUT MY DOMINOES" despite oversight being in place; moreover they're expansion of powers since the Bush administration make it more worrying what gently caress ups they really could achieve. That said, we live in age where technology and enemies are everywhere, so who knows where the lines need to be drawn anymore.

If anything, abuses should have been reported to the appropriate inspector general / intelligence chair committee person in the house/senate. There needs to be a better system of abuse reporting or some death by powerpoint slideshow which I'm sure is covered by the death by opsec slide deck.

The real problem, is that there is a large population of autistic sperglords in our countries intelligence system.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Subjected asylum patients to months of covert LSD dosing just for kicks. Also regularly dosed Johns in a couple different cities, again just to see what would happen.

Oh and also was so flagrant about the whole thing that it hit the papers.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
opsec :3:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 8, 2017

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

If I were looking to take advantage of this WikiLeak to discredit the intelligence community, and I were Russian, it seems like a good time to try to tie the drug epidemic there to CIA activity. “The Americans are responsible for kratom and Trump must reduce their influence!!”

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

VikingSkull posted:

Maybe because the CIA has a long and storied history of doing things above and beyond the realm of normal intelligence activities? Like, fine, they do spy poo poo, everyone does that. They also have carried out assassinations and overthrew democratically elected governments, in addition to trafficked narcotics to fund black operations.

Lets not pretend the CIA is some innocent and law abiding agency, it's clearly not.

Don't forget the United Fruit stuff!

There are lots of legitimate reasons to not like the CIA so leaks like this just look bad. This is also a time where theoretically the CIA could become compromised and then what happens with all that data they got?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wanna take opsec wizard out for a beer and listen to him bitch about his life right now

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The folks at r/the_donald are in an absolute tizzy over this Vault 7 stuff. Basically, every suspicious death in the last 10 years has been the result of CIA hacking. Also, they now believe that the CIA engineered the purported Russian collusion in the election and is now trying to tie it to Trump.

Basically it's just an extension of the Infowars forums at this point.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Deathy McDeath posted:

The folks at r/the_donald are in an absolute tizzy over this Vault 7 stuff. Basically, every suspicious death in the last 10 years has been the result of CIA hacking. Also, they now believe that the CIA engineered the purported Russian collusion in the election and is now trying to tie it to Trump.

Basically it's just an extension of the Infowars forums at this point.

Seems legit.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

VikingSkull posted:

Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
:siren: Please don't talk specifics on how the IC monitors its targets or what the accountability process looks like :siren:

I don't know the exact rules, but I'm erring on the side of caution here.

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

:nsa:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deathy McDeath posted:

Basically the president is just an extension of the Infowars forums at this point.

I mean let's be honest here, just say what we're all thinking.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I'm surprised it's a smile.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm surprised it's a smile.

:nsavince: :nsallears::downsa::nsacloud::nsallears::nsamad:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Another black bag ordered

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This article almost makes me feel sad for the staf- no wait gently caress them all with the NSA Wizard's special magic wand.

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/839310737793298432

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

someone added a downs nsa? hahahah

edit: here, have some uhhh, "content".

http://i.imgur.com/x800Ba6.gifv

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 8, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Colonel Shim was unable to be reached for comment

Oh nevermind... :downsa: on it

Lake of Methane posted:

If I were looking to take advantage of this WikiLeak to discredit the intelligence community, and I were Russian, it seems like a good time to try to tie the drug epidemic there to CIA activity. “The Americans are responsible for kratom and Trump must reduce their influence!!”

That would require the Russian government to acknowledge its drug and HIV problem, which they refuse to do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don't they also have a massive tuberculosis epidemic among their prison population?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I've always been curious about the reason why it's that smilie in a yellow box in the first place.

I'm not USG though so I might be missing something obvious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I've always been curious about the reason why it's that smilie in a yellow box in the first place.

I'm not USG though so I might be missing something obvious.

It was supposed to be a Post-It note.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

I'd say it's surprising to see Trump double down on a bill that even breitbart doesn't support but at this point nothing is actually surprising. Also it's going to be amazing to see Trump go up against the AARP if he actually does go all in on repeal

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Gee I wonder what that old fart Rudy Giuliani is up t-

https://twitter.com/WatermanReports/status/839131826912432128

:shepface:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Office Pig posted:

Gee I wonder what that old fart Rudy Giuliani is up t-

https://twitter.com/WatermanReports/status/839131826912432128

:shepface:

"Its not a pyramid scheme, honest!"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/839303461225312258

Even the NRA has a really weird, shady Russia connection. Definitely tied to that Sheriff Clarke rear end in a top hat, loosely tied to Flynn.

Bonus points for some Russian dude deeper in the tweetstorm that thinks Alaska belongs to Russia. Fun little rabbit hole this Russia poo poo continues to be.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

not canon. pissbaby trump has a tie clip instead of the usual scotch tape

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/839303461225312258

Even the NRA has a really weird, shady Russia connection. Definitely tied to that Sheriff Clarke rear end in a top hat, loosely tied to Flynn.

Bonus points for some Russian dude deeper in the tweetstorm that thinks Alaska belongs to Russia. Fun little rabbit hole this Russia poo poo continues to be.

The funny thing is these idiots (Clarke, Flynn, etc) think Russia likes them and what not because of shared conservative values and genocidal thoughts on Islam.

I mean, even assuming that one day any of these useful idiots realizes how badly they've been used, I would love to see the looks on their faces at the exact moment they realize that they've been compromised.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
every day I wake up hoping to see a gif of DONALD J. TRUMP PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA getting his face pissed on by a russian prostitute or some poo poo. this is the new reality

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

The funny thing is these idiots (Clarke, Flynn, etc) think Russia likes them and what not because of shared conservative values and genocidal thoughts on Islam.

I mean, even assuming that one day any of these useful idiots realizes how badly they've been used, I would love to see the looks on their faces at the exact moment they realize that they've been compromised.

They legitimately don't give a gently caress any more. Russia gives them money and attention, whereas the US laughs at and dismisses them.

It would not surprise me at all if they've managed to internalize being marginalized during the Obama years as "this entire country has gone bad, the people like me are the only ones who aren't bad and can save it".

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

psydude posted:

Don't they also have a massive tuberculosis epidemic among their prison population?

In 2000 about 10% of the prison population had active Tb. The vast majority of cases of Tb are latent. Prisoners are 58 times more likely to die of Tb than the general population.

Percentage of Latent Tb in Various Russian Professions:
Primary health care providers: 39.1%
Medical students: 8.7%
TB hospital health providers: 46.9%
TB laboratory workers: 61.1%

The WHO recognized this as a serious problem and began addressing it in the 2000s and the rates have gone down since then but still remain astronomical compared to here.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/839272330765484032

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VASUDUUUUUUUUUS

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The NYT article is from two days ago.

Straight from the AP. Not even a picture accompanying the article.

I would have thought a formal combined infantry/armor invasion of Syria would be bigger news than a transparently poison-pilled healthcare law or Donald Trump's tweets or even maybe Wikileaks but heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah there was an article somewhere about 3/75 rangers being spotted rolling in strykers to some joint effort against Raqqa in Syria but it was so low-key that I assumed I had just missed something and we were in Syria and it wasn't a big deal anymore. I don't know. something something Rex Tillerson.

• Locked thread