Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

iirc it's a combination of archived post syntax being scattered across lots of incremental changes, so a straight import would result in a ton of unreadable garbage

mlyp

seems like something that could be incrementally fixed and wouldn't block a migration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

seems like something that could be incrementally fixed and wouldn't block a migration.

agreed, but then again

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
help computer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

in college i had to take a "media arts programming" class (or something like that) where you had to do a variety of different projects on different topics, with your choice of programming language and platform

one week the topic was "databases and data storage" and i didn't know poo poo all about real dbs so i made a two-axis "robot arm" out of some servomotors glued together, tapped the potentiometers, hooked it up to an arduino, and wrote some code to let you program a motion by swinging the arm around and recording the pot values, then play that motion back on the servos. like how those fancy industrial robots are programmed by having a human do the motions with the arm and then the robot mimics it.

i had 512 bytes of EEPROM so i could store up to a 5-second motion path. i got an A on the project.

to this day that's the extent of my "database" experience

Sagebrush posted:

e: no that's not quite right, i did do a little bit of mysql to implement a word filter on a project where people were able to text in phrases that would be projected on a public wall. amazingly the filter stood up for almost 14 hours before people figured out how to sneak stuff past it

zzzZzZzz

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bad script huh, i know that feel

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
every year or so I do a search for a phrase i used in an embarrassing gbs post back in like 2001 but it never comes up thankfully

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

bad script huh, i know that feel

tfw your dbs go out of sync in the middle of your one man stage play

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zen death robot posted:

the guy who said he could code a replacement forums in 2 months showed up

you'd think sometime in the last 17 years lowtax might have figured out that you can immediately ignore anyone who says this, as they are an inexperienced idiot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
seriously though, just "lose" the drive with the archive on it in a trash compactor or something. anything worth rereading is goldmined and the rest of that stuff is just a spank bank for monstrous internet assholes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

zen death robot posted:

also I don't think it would have been a particularly bug free version in two months but hey that's me

his code is great. he said so.

no you can't see it, stop asking

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What would SA be without people being able to go through a decade of your posts so they can own you for making them mad

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i have no idea what im talking about but can you not let archive.org just scrape everything and let that be the archive?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the wayback machine is really bad for forums. it seems like it gets a random sack of crap each archival attempt so you get 5000 copies of index.php and then half of a funny thread. maybe they can work out a one-shot deal to just copy the archives over instead of their black box method but idk

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah i had a quick browse of their site and there doesn't seem to be a way to hand them a bunch of pages, you just have to hope they scrape it at the right time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

the people doing things before me weren't database peeps and I'm not really into coding so it's just a reverse of the situation that we've had before but the difference is I'm not trying to make this pile of poo poo limp along with slapped together updates and I'm telling Lowtax that the 3rd party solution is the way to go. That was my opinion before the guy who said he could code a replacement forums in 2 months showed up but I don't own the place so I get vetoed easily but we're back to "get something that someone else maintains ffs"

the people before you weren't into coding either

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

people who store bitfields in databases are spergs that are disturbed by the idea of "wasting" bytes and have a fundamental misunderstanding of databases. database fields should be stored in a way the RDBMS can sort, filter, order, and update on them. bitfields are the opposite of this. and if the DB is going to build an index on the field, which it should if you're selecting on it, it's already going to use much more than a byte per row. bitfields also can't have rational triggers and can't be updated without read-modify-write.

so if you see someone storing bitfields in a database, piss in their coffee

but thats what i do when i like somebody????

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

yeah i had a quick browse of their site and there doesn't seem to be a way to hand them a bunch of pages, you just have to hope they scrape it at the right time.

i wrote some brutal shell script once that just did
pre:
wget https://web.archive.org/save/http://awesomeforum.com/thread/foo/page/{n}
forever with a one second gap in between so they don't get angry and assault me librarian-style.

seemed to work but holy god i wish they had a better way

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i just finished my forum replacement, it's production ready
no you cant see it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my uncle works for lowtax and he says the new forums are ready

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CrazyLittle posted:

iirc it's a combination of archived post syntax being scattered across lots of incremental changes, so a straight import would result in a ton of unreadable garbage

mlyp

hmm okay. yeah thats probably not worth the effort or can be deferred.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my uncle works for lowtax and he says the new forums are ready

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

the wayback machine is really bad for forums. it seems like it gets a random sack of crap each archival attempt so you get 5000 copies of index.php and then half of a funny thread. maybe they can work out a one-shot deal to just copy the archives over instead of their black box method but idk

yeah it's bad

what i want to know is what the library of congress has and how it will be read in the future or whenever sa forums and pony forums and whatnot are of historical note

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

syscall girl posted:

yeah it's bad

what i want to know is what the library of congress has and how it will be read in the future or whenever sa forums and pony forums and whatnot are of historical note

i assume they're just storing them as static html

pram
Jun 10, 2001

dead gay son posted:

help computer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

What the gently caress i thought the library of congress thing was a joke but its real? Im waiting on the webpage to load which is taking an obscene amount of time for 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the gently caress is xenforo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

What the gently caress i thought the library of congress thing was a joke but its real? Im waiting on the webpage to load which is taking an obscene amount of time for 2017

SA archives are currently being backed up onto a strange crystal found in the roswell ufo wreckage, which is why it's taking so long

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's like a dickforo but xen instead, hth

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
xenforo is when the lead dev of vbulletin has a hissy fit and does it RIGHT THIS TIME DAMMIT.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

OWLS! posted:

xenforo is when the lead dev of vbulletin has a hissy fit and does it RIGHT THIS TIME DAMMIT.

so you're saying it's still bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

OWLS! posted:

:discourse:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

lol. like I'm gonna use oracle. what am i, made of money??

:ironicat:

[in extremely comedic voice] microsoft licensing

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

:ironicat:

[in extremely comedic voice] microsoft licensing

there's a difference between charging you out the nose and loving you over a barrel

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

OWLS! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A&hd=1

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

hifi posted:

What the gently caress i thought the library of congress thing was a joke but its real?

i'm really looking forward to my surviving descendants being able to read a post i made about delivery pizza from the wax cylinder they risked their lives to scavenge from the wind-ravaged hellwastes beneath a sky that never stops burning

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FamDav posted:

there's a difference between charging you out the nose and loving you over a barrel

fair

both oracle and microsoft are very bad tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

fair

both oracle and microsoft are very bad tho

microsoft licensing is bad like being in line at the dmv

oracle licensing is bad like being waterboarded repeatedly across a number of days of sleep deprivation, all the while hoping your wife and kids made it through customs without you

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping they save all my posts so ray kurzweil can resurrect me in a tornado of faeces and anime

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft licensing is bad like being in line at the dmv

oracle licensing is bad like being waterboarded repeatedly across a number of days of sleep deprivation, all the while hoping your wife and kids made it through customs without you

well in the oracle scenario i've had sex so that one seems preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

a miserable little pile of add-ons

• Locked thread