Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

flosofl posted:

YouTube Red is ad free.

I know. It doesn't say you get a YouTube Red account, you just get access to the content. I'd rather the ad free bit than the content TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Silly Burrito posted:

See, I see this and wonder.

Does each of the six accounts get three streams or is it three streams across all the accounts? If you only can have three streams, why six accounts unless the accounts are like Netflix accounts that just fine tune your recommendations and nothing more.

My guess is it's marketing speak for "what the gently caress ever, share your account, we don't care" while trying to sell it as a feature. They limit the number of concurrent streams enough that it's not super convenient to have your extended family on one account, but at the same time they don't need to bother trying to police people bumming their parents subscription.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

I know. It doesn't say you get a YouTube Red account, you just get access to the content. I'd rather the ad free bit than the content TBH

Found clarification on Ars Technica

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/02/youtube-tv-is-the-companys-new-live-tv-subscription-service/

quote:

However, a YouTube TV subscription only gives you access to Red Original content—other features of YouTube Red, including ad-free viewing, are not part of YouTube TV.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

BASTARDS!! :argh:

Man that'll be cool if we can split it 3 ways. $11.66 isn't bad at all for all that. It'll blow DTVNOW, Sling and Vue out of the water.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I did see a mention on one blog that the DVR interface had a one button commercial skip functionality. Didn't see that detail elsewhere, but pretty awesome if true.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I doubt the service from an ad company will let you skip ads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

I doubt the service from an ad company will let you skip ads.

They aren't their ads though. Why would they give a gently caress?

Also, you are talking about an extension to a service that LITERALLY has a Skip Ad button show up for their own ads.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man that Youtube package looks great if they would fill in some of the holes in their channels, at least for me, compared to PSVue.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My DTV Now 3-month pre paid period is ending soon and I'm going to cancel. It would be nice to keep the low price of the larger package but I have too many issues with the service. First even though people have mentioned improved service here it hasn't improved for me. I still got tons of freezing and black screens. Also they haven't done or said anything since launch about DVR or support for other network logins.

I like the Apple TV though. I'm using that a lot.

I'm going to stick with my cable company. They cut $40/month off my bill for a year and gave me a new advanced DVR for not dropping them. I'll re-evaluate the options a year from now to see if I keep them or go to PS Vue or YouTube or whatever exists then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero One posted:

My DTV Now 3-month pre paid period is ending soon and I'm going to cancel. It would be nice to keep the low price of the larger package but I have too many issues with the service. First even though people have mentioned improved service here it hasn't improved for me. I still got tons of freezing and black screens. Also they haven't done or said anything since launch about DVR or support for other network logins.

I like the Apple TV though. I'm using that a lot.

I'm going to stick with my cable company. They cut $40/month off my bill for a year and gave me a new advanced DVR for not dropping them. I'll re-evaluate the options a year from now to see if I keep them or go to PS Vue or YouTube or whatever exists then.

Yeah, it's was touch and go for me for almost the entire 3 months. Until about 2 weeks ago I was getting the same as you and ready to cancel so I didn't pay for that 4th month and then it mysteriously went away. From what I've seen, the improvements are regional so I'm guessing a lot of the issues are CDN related.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Multi-channel view for PS Vue just happened yesterday. Can confirm it's really good. I had no issues with the Media Remote by PSP, but some people are reporting it breaks the control functions on their own remotes and/or controllers.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's only on the PS4 for now.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/06/ps-vue-watch-multiple-channels-at-once-with-multi-view-out-today-on-ps4/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just got an email the DTV NOW is giving me a year of HBO for free. I guess they are trying to keep customers as the end of the original 3 month offer is now-ish.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Zero One posted:

Just got an email the DTV NOW is giving me a year of HBO for free. I guess they are trying to keep customers as the end of the original 3 month offer is now-ish.

Me too. They have me for another year I guess. Not bad for $35!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They sent me $5 off the next six months.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am still waiting for it to come to Roku. I would like to try it and hopefully they offer another introductory rate at that time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hotsauce posted:

Me too. They have me for another year I guess. Not bad for $35!

Not enough for me. Especially when I don't watch HBO except a few weeks a year and HBONow is only $15/month when I need it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Zero One posted:

I got the same thing. I'm keeping it for now since it's worked nearly flawless the past month or two.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

In actual cutting cable and not "cable by another name" news, we've had the cord cut for 5 months now, and I can't see ever going back or subscribing to any of these streaming cable services.

In a firestorm of savings, my wife's boss also picked up her cell phone bill, so effectively we are saving about $200/month.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 9, 2017

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cool now we have hipster cable cutters.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Comet released an app on Roku free to stream. Two downsides, it's still 4:3 and the stream seems unstable but hey, they're just starting out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just want the drat DirecTVNow app on Roku so I can get rid of the fire stick we literally only use for that.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Fuzz posted:

I just want the drat DirecTVNow app on Roku so I can get rid of the fire stick we literally only use for that.

That's how I feel about Kodi. Roku's interface is meh but FireTV's sucks rear end.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Question about DIRECTV Now: short version -- can i un-favorite a channel i no longer have access to?

About a month ago they had Cinemax and Stars free, and I added them to my favorite list. Now I don't have access too them, but I can't seem to take them off the favorite list. Clicking the heart on the favorite list does nothing, and the channels don't show up in the All Channels list.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
I was relatively happy with Vue, been using it for 6+ months but I was randomly double charged for this month (two identical charges on my bank statement, same day) and just asked that one of them be refunded through my bank. Sony's response to this was to ban my account and lock me out of everything. I called customer service and spoke to 5 separate people who basically told me to pay again and my account would be unlocked. Long story short they couldn't find the other charge (wtf?), so I ended up having both charges refunded and will never deal with PSN or Vue again.

On a positive note, my HBO login still works somehow.

To Sling I go!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Asking your bank to refund the money is issuing a chargeback. It's not a benign thing to the merchant and is hit with fees when something like that happens. A chargeback is a declaration of fraud and you very well could have wiped out the profits of your entire 6+ months of service with them if not cost them money on the balance.

Yes, they made a billing mistake, but you essentially declared war on them by going to the bank without talking to Sony first. I'm really not surprised they dropped you as a customer.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Asking your bank to refund the money is issuing a chargeback. It's not a benign thing to the merchant and is hit with fees when something like that happens. A chargeback is a declaration of fraud and you very well could have wiped out the profits of your entire 6+ months of service with them if not cost them money on the balance.

Yes, they made a billing mistake, but you essentially declared war on them by going to the bank without talking to Sony first. I'm really not surprised they dropped you as a customer.

Yeah, this. It's not as simple as the bank just putting a hold on one transaction. I learned this the hard way years ago when my school's parking ID office accidentally charged me twice, and they turned around and ended up garnishing the fees from my paycheck. No joke. Stare institution so there wasn't much I could do about it, ultimately I ended up paying slightly less than double the fee, but still, it sucked.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't disagree that perhaps they should have talked to Sony first, but Sony was also the one who hosed up, and the banks who issue credit cards take erroneous double charges very seriously.

If you write a check that bounces, the merchant will often quickly take whatever action the local law allows. Why should a corporation be extended a courtesy that we individual consumers don't get?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just don't expect to do business with them afterwards.

It also may not have been Sony that hosed up, it could have been whoever was processing their payments.

At the end of the day, what Sony saw was an account that flipped into non-payment status. Suspending service is a completely understandable and rational reaction.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 18, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got a feeling when the company is as big as Sony, in a situation like this the interaction between them and the credit card company amounts to an email or phone conversation and both parties conclude "double charge, customer overreacted, case closed."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I doubt there was any human interaction at all.

A chargeback carries a code associated with it, one of the common ones is clerical which probably would have been used in this case since it was a duplicate. The merchant bank would look at the chargeback and determine if it was valid, in this case it was and that would be easily verified if they saw two charges for the same amount with in a specific time. The transaction would have then been voided with Sony and Sony would have been charged whatever penalty they've negotiated with their bank for that (usually in the range of $20-$100 a transaction.)

Now here's the rub, torturemyballs doesn't actually know which one of the two transactions is associated with the payment in the account. If the guess is right, then the one voided may not impact the account status (though Sony still may flag the credit card in their system as one associated with a chargeback and not allow future charges to it). If the guess is wrong, the voided transaction changes the account status to 'unpaid' which seems to be what happened here. Since the dup transaction isn't associated with the account, they may have trouble tracking it down so that's why they require payment in order to reinstate.

I would expect Sling would react exactly the same way.

If you contact Sony first and provide a screenshot of the duplicate transaction and the transaction IDs involved on the credit card statement, they likely would have been able to quickly track down the mistaken transaction and refunded the money and not affected account status.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

bull3964 posted:

I doubt there was any human interaction at all.

A chargeback carries a code associated with it, one of the common ones is clerical which probably would have been used in this case since it was a duplicate. The merchant bank would look at the chargeback and determine if it was valid, in this case it was and that would be easily verified if they saw two charges for the same amount with in a specific time. The transaction would have then been voided with Sony and Sony would have been charged whatever penalty they've negotiated with their bank for that (usually in the range of $20-$100 a transaction.)

Now here's the rub, torturemyballs doesn't actually know which one of the two transactions is associated with the payment in the account. If the guess is right, then the one voided may not impact the account status (though Sony still may flag the credit card in their system as one associated with a chargeback and not allow future charges to it). If the guess is wrong, the voided transaction changes the account status to 'unpaid' which seems to be what happened here. Since the dup transaction isn't associated with the account, they may have trouble tracking it down so that's why they require payment in order to reinstate.

I would expect Sling would react exactly the same way.

If you contact Sony first and provide a screenshot of the duplicate transaction and the transaction IDs involved on the credit card statement, they likely would have been able to quickly track down the mistaken transaction and refunded the money and not affected account status.

For what it's worth, Sony (well, the CS reps) 100% refused to believe that there were two transactions on my end and declined to even look at proof because there was only one in their system.

I probably should've talked to Sony first, I agree there. I just had two identical charges on a card, with only one reflected in their system and I only had a receipt for one. To me, that is a big enough deal to talk to my bank directly, but I may have erred. Oh well, Sling is good enough, lesson learned.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Just don't expect to do business with them afterwards.

It also may not have been Sony that hosed up, it could have been whoever was processing their payments.

At the end of the day, what Sony saw was an account that flipped into non-payment status. Suspending service is a completely understandable and rational reaction.
Fair enough.

I would have called the merchant first myself, but it makes me kinda happy to see someone sticking it to a corporation over their error (just like they would do to you). As individuals we have little recourse over problems that doesn't involve lots of phone hold time. From my perspective, even a third party processor making the mistake is no excuse.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Crosspost from the Home Networking Thread:

So my wife and I are in the process of buying our first house :woop: during the inspection I asked the home inspector to take a peak at all the coax in the house to see if it was stapled to the studs and unfortunately all of it is so I got to thinking of trying to eliminate all my rental fees (minus a cablecard rental) from Verizon and this is what I came up with.

The house is a two story 1300 Squarefoot Townhouse with the living room and kitchen on the 1st floor. The office where the NAS, Router and everything else will live is on the 2nd floor, is there anything glaringly wrong besides "Just run Cat6"? I decided against doing Ethernet over MoCA, the adapters are really expensive points of failure and it would only solve half the problem of WiFi coverage.

I did a breakdown of cost with ditching the STB and Router from Verizon and just buying a router off amazon + an HDHomeRun. Is there anything hidden i'm missing? I'll probably setup TVHeadEnd or MythTV (is that still a thing) down the line with my UnRAID NAS

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I get horrible jitter and buffering on HBO GO on my first gen Fire TV Stick. Does anyone know if the 2nd gen fixes the issues? It seems to be a common problem.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

I get horrible jitter and buffering on HBO GO on my first gen Fire TV Stick. Does anyone know if the 2nd gen fixes the issues? It seems to be a common problem.

Still sucks, it's why I use it on my Roku 4. Works perfectly on that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Photex posted:

Crosspost from the Home Networking Thread:

So my wife and I are in the process of buying our first house :woop: during the inspection I asked the home inspector to take a peak at all the coax in the house to see if it was stapled to the studs and unfortunately all of it is so I got to thinking of trying to eliminate all my rental fees (minus a cablecard rental) from Verizon and this is what I came up with.

The house is a two story 1300 Squarefoot Townhouse with the living room and kitchen on the 1st floor. The office where the NAS, Router and everything else will live is on the 2nd floor, is there anything glaringly wrong besides "Just run Cat6"? I decided against doing Ethernet over MoCA, the adapters are really expensive points of failure and it would only solve half the problem of WiFi coverage.

I did a breakdown of cost with ditching the STB and Router from Verizon and just buying a router off amazon + an HDHomeRun. Is there anything hidden i'm missing? I'll probably setup TVHeadEnd or MythTV (is that still a thing) down the line with my UnRAID NAS

I've been using MoCA for years and it's been great, I'd suggest it's worth a second look. I've got twice the square footage, upstairs office -> moca -> downstairs access point and everything is just ducky.

$350 wifi + 2 repeaters for that size of a place just seems crazy to me unless it's just built out of wire mesh or something.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

Comet released an app on Roku free to stream. Two downsides, it's still 4:3 and the stream seems unstable but hey, they're just starting out.

The stream is up almost all the time now and today they converted to widescreen hot drat!

Apparently some content is still 4:3 but Bubba-Ho-Tep is on and it's in widescreen. Probably just gonna flush through with new ads and stuff.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 22, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Question about my network/wiring

Here's my current setup:

I want to add the OTA antenna coax into the main coax run to the router (which sits right by my tv)

After some research, I think I can use a diplexer, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Holland-Dishpro-Satellite-Diplexer/dp/B00684D77A/

any thoughts?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

BraveUlysses posted:

Question about my network/wiring

Here's my current setup:

I want to add the OTA antenna coax into the main coax run to the router (which sits right by my tv)

After some research, I think I can use a diplexer, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Holland-Dishpro-Satellite-Diplexer/dp/B00684D77A/

any thoughts?

Maybe? Who is your provider? Pretty sure it depends if the TV signal from the ONT is provider via IP over MOCA like AT&T does, in that case you should be fine. From cable providers a lot of the time they basically just passively modulate the full stream cable signal over fiber and demodulate it at the ONT over coax and if that is the case I'm guessing there will be frequency overlap with OTA.