Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You can just picture a group of frowning studio execs sitting around a large screen TV in a board room with a bunch of scruffy writers standing behind them with note pads, all watching the original GiTS.
"Okay nerds, we want you to write that exact thing we just saw," says the chief exec. "But cut out all that lovely sciencey gobbledygook and all the ponderous talky crap .... oh and make it wayyy less Asian-y, okay? Maybe keep some geishas and poo poo but cut way down on the rest. Keep all the guns and explosions yadda yadda yadda you know the drill." "But what about the philosophical questions it poses about selfhood in the modern era?" "Cut that dumb poo poo out and make it Robocop. 'Oh no I'm a robot now, they stole my memories, wah wah.' Done. Next. Whatever. Get out of here."

Robocop has dramatically more interesting things to say about "selfhood in the modern era" than Ghost in the Shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Robocop had nothing to say about selfhood tho.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Robocop had nothing to say about selfhood tho.

The original Robocop is about a machine that thinks it's a man. The Robocop remake is about a man who thinks he's a machine.

Come to think of it the Robocop remake also had an assy remix of the original's theme and promo material that looked awful because the effects were unfinished...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loooooooooooool

"Will people not get access to healthcare due to this bill"

"What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"Medicare is a system that doesn't work for patients"

Did you just hear that? That was the horns, gathering the AARP hordes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

loooooooooooool

"Will people not get access to healthcare due to this bill"

"What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt"

sir, this is Wendy's

(I'm watching and live posting in DnD/CSpam as well)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh gently caress off ACA being a cost to the fed govt oh just gently caress off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is the greenlighted thread sir.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Who greenlighted this healthcare bill is a p good question though

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol carry on haha

edit; I would edit out my responses, but it's funnier just to leave alone

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Who greenlighted this healthcare bill is a p good question though

https://www.gop.com/

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It took me a while to figure out what was going on because it came right after RoboCop chat.

Like, "What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt" is basically a RoboCop line.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It took me a while to figure out what was going on because it came right after RoboCop chat.

Like, "What I can say is that there will not be any costs to the federal govt" is basically a RoboCop line.

We do kind of have Pres Jones

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm just kind of used to everything I interact with becoming a discussion of lovely current politics

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's nice to have a one stop shop for all the lovely things happening in the world (of movies) and the world.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Who greenlighted this death panel??

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

You can just picture a group of frowning studio execs sitting around a large screen TV in a board room with a bunch of scruffy writers standing behind them with note pads, all watching the original GiTS.
"Okay nerds, we want you to write that exact thing we just saw," says the chief exec. "But cut out all that lovely sciencey gobbledygook and all the ponderous talky crap .... oh and make it wayyy less Asian-y, okay? Maybe keep some geishas and poo poo but cut way down on the rest. Keep all the guns and explosions yadda yadda yadda you know the drill." "But what about the philosophical questions it poses about selfhood in the modern era?" "Cut that dumb poo poo out and make it Robocop. 'Oh no I'm a robot now, they stole my memories, wah wah.' Done. Next. Whatever. Get out of here."

Same with the iconic music: "Make it exactly the same, just less ponderous and Asian-y." "Uh, we could maybe sample it and run it through a dubstep generator?" "Whatever, just do it."

It'd actually be pretty disappointing to discover that everyone at every level behind the project were really passionate behind adapting the original movie/manga and this was their very best effort rather than just a quick attempt at pumping out yet another effects-heavy action flick which was generic enough to be palatable to the general masses.

Using Robocop as a perjorative smdh.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

[A reporter rushes through the doors of a studio exec's office]

Reporter: I demand to know why you greenlighted this movie by San Andreas director Brad Peyton about Jason Momoa hookshotting from vehicle to vehicle while blowing up gas stations and military bases and having infinite parachutes for some reason!

Studio exec guy: Just 'cause...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How did it take this long for a Just Cause movie? I never played 3 but JC2 was like Bond meets Crank: High Voltage in game form.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's not Neveldine & Taylor directing :negative:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

We do kind of have Pres Jones

"Donald, you're fired!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got free passes to see Kong: Skull Island.

It was dope.

Monsters got dismembered. People got dismembered.

John C. Reilly owned like he always does.

That was the best King Kong movie I've ever seen and I can't loving wait for Godzilla vs. Kong.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How did it take this long for a Just Cause movie? I never played 3 but JC2 was like Bond meets Crank: High Voltage in game form.

Just Cause 2 is a fun game but aside from the relatively unique Southeast Asian setting the only thing that was interesting about the story was watching a bunch of Swedish game developers horribly mangle the English voice acting for every other character. And the action with the grappling hook/parachute/jetpack is physically impossible so they would either have to scale it back to something way less entertaining or do everything with weightless cartoon people and be super boring.

Also it's kind of funny that one of the defining things about Rico Rodriguez is that he's one of the only Mexican video game protagonists who isn't a gangster or a drug dealer or a luchador but they couldn't actually cast a latino actor for the role.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If the character doesn't surf on the wing of an airplane that he was previously flying then parachute off to grapple himself onto a moving car, the movie is a failure.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Just Cause 2 is a fun game but aside from the relatively unique Southeast Asian setting the only thing that was interesting about the story was watching a bunch of Swedish game developers horribly mangle the English voice acting for every other character. And the action with the grappling hook/parachute/jetpack is physically impossible so they would either have to scale it back to something way less entertaining or do everything with weightless cartoon people and be super boring.

Also it's kind of funny that one of the defining things about Rico Rodriguez is that he's one of the only Mexican video game protagonists who isn't a gangster or a drug dealer or a luchador but they couldn't actually cast a latino actor for the role.

I don't know, I'm from South-East Asia and some of those voices sound pretty authentic. I love the the great Malay names they have for the locations, like the nuclear plant and chemical plant are literally named "Mushroom Cloud" and "Poisonous Toys" respectively, or the desert with a shipwreck in the middle is called the "Old Ocean".

Rico is also technically a terrorist protagonist, he's just a CIA-funded one.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The plot of Just Cause 1 never made sense to me because the CIA is backing explicitly leftist guerillas with no explanation.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sir Kodiak posted:

If the character doesn't surf on the wing of an airplane that he was previously flying then parachute off to grapple himself onto a moving car, the movie is a failure.

That's pedestrian. In Just Cause 2 you can walk out of your plane, walk down the wing, and hook to another plane and hijack it mid-air.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Mann posted:

Sir Kodiak posted:

You should both watch License to Kill and The Living Daylights since they're fun movies and the series is where a lot of the stunts in Just Cause and Uncharted come from. Honestly I wish I could go back in time and give the guys who made all the stunts happen in 80s James Bond movies a Just Cause 2 script and a massive budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQR8Z8rXbL8&t=430s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkAN59sad98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9SRhVXXL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SP5sAM5do

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The MSJ posted:

I don't know, I'm from South-East Asia and some of those voices sound pretty authentic. I love the the great Malay names they have for the locations, like the nuclear plant and chemical plant are literally named "Mushroom Cloud" and "Poisonous Toys" respectively, or the desert with a shipwreck in the middle is called the "Old Ocean".

Rico is also technically a terrorist protagonist, he's just a CIA-funded one.

same, i really enjoyed running around and looking at the hilarious place names and the various dialects i understood being thrown around

also they should cast an accent-accurate actress for Bolo Santosi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTmyLsSWksM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got free passes to see Kong: Skull Island.

It was dope.

Monsters got dismembered. People got dismembered.

John C. Reilly owned like he always does.

That was the best King Kong movie I've ever seen and I can't loving wait for Godzilla vs. Kong.

My favorite human deaths are all of the ones during the Helicopter scene, and the Spider one. Godddaaaaaaammn.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Using Robocop as a perjorative smdh.

Naw I meant it in the sense of "cybernetics-based themes that have been part of the American movie-going zeitgeist for three decades instead of something related but different"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is Kimg Kong in Skull Island comparable to Godzillia's size?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is Kimg Kong in Skull Island comparable to Godzillia's size?

Nope, apparently he's about 32m tall and Godzilla 2014 was 108m tall, so he's less than a third as tall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nope, apparently he's about 32m tall and Godzilla 2014 was 108m tall, so he's less than a third as tall.

I hope a wizard makes King Kong taller for their fight. Otherwise Godzilla will look like an rear end in a top hat for kicking around that poor little chimpanzee.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope a wizard makes King Kong taller for their fight. Otherwise Godzilla will look like an rear end in a top hat for kicking around that poor little chimpanzee.

Skull Island is set in 1973 and King Kong v Godzilla will be released in 2020 so he's got 47 years to catch up!

Note also that the 1933 Kong was only between 5.5m and 7.3m tall, 1976 Kong was between 12.8m and 16.8m tall and Peter Jackson's Kong was 7.6m tall. A 32m tall Kong is still twice as tall as he's previously been depicted in Western cinema.

The Japanese Kong that fought the Toho Godzilla back in 1962 was 45m tall though, so he's not the biggest Kong yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope a wizard makes King Kong taller for their fight. Otherwise it'll look weird having a tiny monkey climb Godzilla and whoop his rear end

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope this is how The Rock will defeat the giant monsters in Rampage (also directed by San Andreas director Brad Peyton).

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Grendels Dad posted:

John C. Reilly's character has a throw-away line about how Kong is "still growing" so.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just make him whatever size he needs to be and don't mention it at all ever because who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't get Kong or Godzilla for that matter.

• Locked thread