Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Please try to relax. There is plenty of time. I need to tell you something. You've been in a coma for quite some time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Not that I condone killing civilians in any way,

im glad that you clarified your opinions re: civilian killing

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 5, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Namtab posted:

im glad that you clarified your opinions re: civilian killing
I'm bad at communicating so it was just to make sure there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is there some significance to the ending song changing? How many episodes are left?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jackard posted:

Is there some significance to the ending song changing? How many episodes are left?

I think its either a 13 episode season or 12 episdoe season, so we have 4-5 episodes left

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Poil posted:

I'm bad at communicating so it was just to make sure there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. :v:

It's ok, but I'm going to say that further discussion of Tanya the evil's actions don't require a disclaimer to say that you don't approve of the epic war crimes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

It's ok, but I'm going to say that further discussion of Tanya the evil's actions don't require a disclaimer to say that you don't approve of the epic war crimes.

The amount of people on Twitter who are still really angry about Pearl Harbor makes me feel it's not entirely unreasonable to distance oneself occasionally.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If we want to get technical i dont think any war crimes have been made since all the civilians already had the chance to escape, anyone remaining at that point was seen as a combatant. The way i understand it hague convention of the time forbids the bombing of undefended towns and attacking of undefended habitants. The notfrench had the army there so neither the civilians or town was undefended, in fact the town was being used to ruin notgerman supply lines. If the notfrench army had not been there itd definetly be straight out war crime even according to hague convention.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I'll just put this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00F2B72FqVo

CHOCO!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think for Tanya, at the end of the day, duty is the most important thing. Not morals, not preference, duty. And she's so obsessed with it that she can fully shut down any emotions she has about her orders. She does make a point to note that this isn't something she cares to do and acknowledges its moral implications (see office scene), but in the end performs her duty with gusto.

Like someone said earlier, if it's an order that improves her reputation, she relishes it. But an order like this that sells her nickname thoroughly she performs mechanically and coldly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm expecting this to be like Germany's invasion of Belgium. Easy victory, urban battle against snipers, lots of dead civilians, and it ends up being portrayed as a horrible atrocity, making the rest of the world see not-Germany as monsters

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I think for Tanya, at the end of the day, duty is the most important thing. Not morals, not preference, duty. And she's so obsessed with it that she can fully shut down any emotions she has about her orders. She does make a point to note that this isn't something she cares to do and acknowledges its moral implications (see office scene), but in the end performs her duty with gusto.

Like someone said earlier, if it's an order that improves her reputation, she relishes it. But an order like this that sells her nickname thoroughly she performs mechanically and coldly.

It's not even duty. It's just blankly fulfilling her role to the stated specifications in the most "efficient" manner possible.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Salaryman was living for his hobbies, but Tanya doesn't seem to have any

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oh my god. I thought it was just another silly thing to grin at, like the rest, but that ending.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jackard posted:

Her hobby is spiting God

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jackard posted:

Coffee

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Jackard posted:

Not-Germany's military officers seem to have a poor life-work balance, and given we're comparing it to a Japanese salaryman's, that's saying a lot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

It's not even duty. It's just blankly fulfilling her role to the stated specifications in the most "efficient" manner possible.

Actually yeah, I think this is a better description of that. She doesn't have the required pride or respect for the job to call it "duty". It's a means to an end, nothing more or less.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

hoobajoo posted:

Not-Germany's military officers seem to have a poor life-work balance, and given we're comparing it to a Japanese salaryman's, that's saying a lot.

Not-Fritz's work is his life because he doesn't know what freedom is due to a sad lifetime under the Kaiser's bootheel. :911: :britain: :france:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The shorts are great because they seem to do an interesting job at fleshing out Tanya's personality a little when they otherwise perhaps lack the needed screentime to do it in a natural way.

People are people; people have moments where they think of inappropriate jokes or becoming surprisingly out of character on a whim; it's hard for people to be "consistent" 100% of the time and I can buy Tanya having calmer more introspective moments or otherwise willing to crack jokes or troll/tease the soldiers under her command.

Hahaha that ending.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think the most consistent thing with Tanya is how callous she is. The amount of expressed cruelty has fluctuated. But she doesn't seem to ever consider the feelings of others outside of respecting station, and she'll do that in the most backbiting manner possible. Her first act of kindness she explains away as self serving, and now everything she doesn't for her own soldiers is suspect.
Hell, the first speech from god came off to me as lamenting the dude's senseless murder, and he uses it as an opportunity to call god fake and gay.

I'll have to see how the latest episode plays out when I'm able to see it. I don't watch enough shows to subscribe

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Hey does anyone know exactly what rifles Tanya and her battalion use? Also what type of rifle did she get from that guy at the end of episode 7?

Mostly just curious if they are based off of real guns from WW1.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned but if you check the earlier episodes Tanya's shoulder epaulets keep changing every time she goes up in rank and actually correspond to real ranks in the German army during WW1.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Cool.

The auto fire rifle she steals reminds me of a German weapon from call of duty (yeah real scientific of me here) which would have no business being in like fantasy Norway a decade earlier. But neither does a guy with the last name Sioux so whatever

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SIG MKMS

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Cool so it is based off a real gun. What about the rifles that the rest of her battalion uses?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Myurton posted:

Hey does anyone know exactly what rifles Tanya and her battalion use? Also what type of rifle did she get from that guy at the end of episode 7?

Mostly just curious if they are based off of real guns from WW1.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned but if you check the earlier episodes Tanya's shoulder epaulets keep changing every time she goes up in rank and actually correspond to real ranks in the German army during WW1.

To me it looks like a lot of the weaponry (particularly Empire/Totally not Germany) is closer to WW2 era than WW1. For example, it looks like the combat mages are using predominately semiautomatic rifles while the service rifles of WW1 were generally bolt action. Furthermore, the bombers seem to suggest that monoplanes are relatively widespread. The rifles look kind of like the Gewehr 43, but that particular rifle lacks a bayonet mount which is clearly present this universe.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 7, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I thought the rifles were bolt action though unless I'm misremembering.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought the rifles were bolt action though unless I'm misremembering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_98

No idea what else it could be. The box magazine hanging off is probably an anachronism, because that's a modern and seemingly popular conversion kit.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 8, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does this show not have a page on the Internet Movie Firearms Database?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Keep in mind that this is 1925. There wasnt a huge world war taking up resources from research so nations had more time to increase armament and experiment with more tech. WW1 is just about to start or started depending on how you look at it. I dont think notsoviet union or notbritain have even joined yet properly unless i missed them declaring war. Most they have done probably is give support in secret to notfrance so they dont lose.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's some artistic liberty and inconsistency, but I'm fairly certain it's the Gewehr. WW1 starting later would more likely keep arms behind, not develop them further.

I think the defining feature of this parallel universe might be a severe lack of John Browning.
We've seen no machineguns (water- or air-cooled), which Tanya even commented on in episode 5, and no '1911-ish' pistols (FN Model 1903 is more likely, being Belgian).

Of course Hickok has a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ljx5hjtUs

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 8, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

There's some artistic liberty and inconsistency, but I'm fairly certain it's the Gewehr. WW1 starting later would more likely keep arms behind, not develop them further.

I think the defining feature of this parallel universe might be a severe lack of John Browning.
We've seen no machineguns (water- or air-cooled), which Tanya even commented on in episode 5, and no '1911-ish' pistols (FN Model 1903 is more likely, being Belgian).

Of course Hickok has a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ljx5hjtUs

The comment on episode 5 isn't really relevant since that was talking about Dacia with its woefully underdeveloped military and there were clearly machine guns on the bombers in episode 6 and in defensive emplacements in episode 7. Hell, in the manga Dacia was using freaking line infantry with single shot rifles. With respect to the argument of delayed WW1 holding back arms development, I disagree. In this case, the world was effectively in a perpetual Cold War which could trigger an arms race and actually accelerate arms development. Si vis pacem, para bellum and all.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
My understanding is that the fear of war is what accelerates arms technology research. Even a short war might help with this but a long total war like ww1 did not accelerate it at all, it stopped it for the most part. When a long war starts most research into new technology stops and the resources will get focused on actually beating the current war. Some research will be done but itll be mostly just means to beat the current war and usually itll just ammount to just applying old technology in new ways. Like airplanes and tanks wasnt new technology for WW1, it was already excisting technology just being applied in new ways.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

kirtar posted:

there were clearly machine guns on the bombers in episode 6 and in defensive emplacements in episode 7

I meant designs specific to Browning.

The bombers definitely mount the Lewis gun, which wasn't Browning, which were largely used by the UK before the US went with the BAR instead.

Seeing as it's 1925 though, the Lewis gun should be obsolete. Pan magazines suck.

SIngle-shot rifles were prevalent through WW2, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there unless you mean muzzleloading which didn't seem to be the case; volley fire does not automatically entail muzzleloaders, just poor tactics and application. Even still Dacia should have at least carriage mounted hand-cranked guns (poo poo, Japan had those in 1868). So maybe Richard Gatling is out of the picture too. That's what Tanya was commenting on: They aren't just behind, they're hilariously behind.

What really suggests to me that war development was slower or at least very different in Tanya's world?

No chemical weapons.

Maybe it comes up later, but for now I think Tanya's world used to be far more idealistic and peaceful than ours, and Being X just has to gently caress it all up just to gently caress with her.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

SIngle-shot rifles were prevalent through WW2, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there unless you mean muzzleloading which didn't seem to be the case; volley fire does not automatically entail muzzleloaders, just poor tactics and application. Even still Dacia should have at least carriage mounted hand-cranked guns (poo poo, Japan had those in 1868). So maybe Richard Gatling is out of the picture too. That's what Tanya was commenting on: They aren't just behind, they're hilariously behind.
I meant muzzleloading since the translator for the manga translated it as "single shot musket" and the art is roughly in line with that (hard to tell since it's always just black figures). Obviously there are differences in the two renditions since the end of episode 5 showed better capacity for repeated fire. For some reason Ch4 also shows Tanya holding what appears to be an MG 34

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 8, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Found it. The Gewehr 98 did have a 'trench magazine' with 20 round capacity available in WW1, but the stamped stiffening pattern in the show is anachronism, they were flat sided.

So if you see that the German rifles have or don't have magazines, that's because it's not detachable, it just lets you cram four strippers in at once.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

Found it. The Gewehr 98 did have a 'trench magazine' with 20 round capacity available in WW1, but the stamped stiffening pattern in the show is anachronism, they were flat sided.

So if you see that the German rifles have or don't have magazines, that's because it's not detachable, it just lets you cram four strippers in at once.

And then insert general media thing where nobody ever has to reload.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Have you seen any of the mages need to shoot more than five times in one scene? :smuggo:

You're right though, we haven't seen a single stripper clip yet alone anyone slapping one in.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ranzear posted:

Have you seen any of the mages need to shoot more than five times in one scene? :smuggo:

You're right though, we haven't seen a single stripper clip yet alone anyone slapping one in.

Or anyone pulling a bolt for that matter. With regards to the Dacian thing, the LN translation on skythewood did actually have it as bolt-action so it was probably just a different adaptation or odd translation likely due to the context of outdated military doctrine.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ranzear posted:

What really suggests to me that war development was slower or at least very different in Tanya's world?

No chemical weapons.

Maybe it comes up later, but for now I think Tanya's world used to be far more idealistic and peaceful than ours, and Being X just has to gently caress it all up just to gently caress with her.

Uh what? Chemical weapons were around even before ww1 i think? At least hague convention forbade their use before ww1 even started. Was there something advanced about chemical weapons during ww1 that im not aware off?
As far as the world being more idealistic, the anime just doesent go into detail about past wars. There have been plenty of wars so far, like notgermany was at war with notfrance in 1923 already. I think what stopped WW1 from breaking out is notrussia turning communist and canceling the alliance with notfrance. Since notgermany didnt have to fear notsoviet union from becoming a super power and allying with everyone (since communists are idelogical enemies of everyone not communist), they didnt feel the need to rush in and punch out notfrance and attack notrussia at the same time. They still fear a double team from everyone around them but since they have grown so huge they feel confident no single or two countries can beat them anymore.

• Locked thread