Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

BlindSite posted:

I used to hate sweet potatoes still i had sweet potato fries one day theyre pretty good.

I dont mind em roasted either but theyre hard to get to crisp up outside.

The only exception, to me, is floury sweet potato biscuits. Those are good but nothing else is for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I had an interview at this brewery that's opening up and it went well. I'm not counting chickens before they hatch from the eggs because that would be foolhardy and would also have nothing to do with the chances of me getting this job

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
For family stuff I had to go to Berea, OH... Home of the Cleveland Browns. I drove past their HQ. I yelled out "PLEASE DRAFT TRUBISKY"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

For family stuff I had to go to Berea, OH... Home of the Cleveland Browns. I drove past their HQ. I yelled out "PLEASE DRAFT TRUBISKY"

Just like a Bay Area native: trying to gently caress over the Browns for your own benefit.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Chichevache posted:

I love incredibly dense books full of symbolism and allusions. When I tried Eco (seven or eight years ago, so I was still in my late teens) he came across as someone trying to write about how intelligent he is instead of someone trying to write a story. I should probably give him another shot instead of rambling on about the half-baked opinions of a stoner 19 year old. Maybe I won't find him as tedious.

He's super tedious, but that's kind of the fun of it. His stuff his hard to read, but I think of his books more as a puzzle or word games than I do linear narrative. Like, you can't spend an afternoon marathoning Foucault's Pendulum and enjoy it like you would with Stepen King book. It's just too dense to be enjoyable that way

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was waiting for someone to tell me I was wrong and I should point out it isn't like I'm not going to get through it so maybe I'll come around. But just as far as it being an enjoyable read:

Phobeste posted:

One big thing is that umberto ecos academic career is in the study of symbology. That's a big part of the reason he spends so long describing those chapel doors. It's really cool to sort of lose yourself in the description as visions in a fever dream, like you do while reading naked lunch or fear and loathing or gravitys rainbow.

This has not been really cool so far in my opinion.

Phobeste posted:

Also a lot of that history is real: the heresy they talk about that ended in the massacre of its adherents was the Waldensian heresy , the cathars are real, it's set during the time of the antipope, which really happened. Remember eco was a symbologist and a medieval historian, he doesn't make things up when there's something just as weird that actually happened.

I probably worded that incorrectly, I meant only that the actual conversations between monks were imagined rather than the history. One of the things I have enjoyed quite a bit is looking things up and comparing how...I don't even know what the word would be. Like, the accepted whitewashed wiki version of the history of the Church views these events/people compared to the characters in the book who have pretty different ideologies.

But man, no, I just can't get down with that church door description. It's entirely possible I lack the imagination.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

What are a few of your favorite books? I'd like to know more about what we all read for pleasure, and not just the stuff we like to dickwave about online.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I am admittedly a big dummy, so Vonnegut is probably the most 'respectable' guy that I actually enjoy and look forward to reading/going back and reading again. Terry Pratchett's absolutely my favorite just sit down and read something author and I believe he's criminally underrated in snooty circles because he's associated with comedy which isn't 'serious.' Small Gods is my personal favorite, although that might just be because it's the first thing of his I read. From a solely entertainment perspective and for the opposite end of the historical fiction spectrum I like the Last Kingdom/Saxon Tales series by Bernard Cornwell. They're schlocky and paint by the numbers plot wise even though they loosely follow some real history things but gently caress it, I still like reading about Uhtred doing manly rear end things with his Viking buddies who he repeatedly has to abandon to fight for milksop Alfred the Great.

For nonfiction stuff probably mostly popular things. In the Heart of the Sea was great (even though I loved it I have no idea how they made a movie out of it), I finally read Helter Sketler a couple of years ago and even though it's stupid thorough it manages to remain engaging all the way through. Devil in the White City was pretty good. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I super enjoyed Iron Coffins about life on a German UBoat.

Something I used to do and maybe should get back to is buy an anthology of the best Sci-Fi short stories every year (although I can't remember who defined 'best'). The way I remember it there was a good mix of hard and soft sci-fi and I never regretted the purchase. I assume they still do that at least, probably the last time I did this was 2004ish.

e: I also like Game of Thrones and have probably read them all 3 times

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 7, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I finally read Slaughterhouse Five last year. I enjoyed it. I never read The Last Kingdom, but the show on Netflix was alright.

I tried reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I thought it was an absolute slog and I set it aside. I promised my favorite professor I would finish it someday, so I'll give it another shot sooner or later. Oddly enough, when it comes to short stories and essays I've enjoyed everything DFW has written. A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again is one of the most amusing stories I've ever read. Hell, he almost got me to go vegetarian with Consider the Lobster.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chichevache posted:

I tried reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I thought it was an absolute slog and I set it aside. I promised my favorite professor I would finish it someday, so I'll give it another shot sooner or later. Oddly enough, when it comes to short stories and essays I've enjoyed everything DFW has written. A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again is one of the most amusing stories I've ever read. Hell, he almost got me to go vegetarian with Consider the Lobster.

I'm in a similar boat, in that I enjoyed, "Incarnations of a Burned Child," but any time I've tried to delve into Infinite Jest, I get a headache.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

I never read The Last Kingdom, but the show on Netflix was alright.

I didn't watch the show, I wonder how they handled the shield wall (which was kinda the coming of age moment for the main character in the first book). The books aren't exactly hard-history where everything is painstakingly researched beyond question but I totally buy Cornwall's description of how massed armies would have fought back then. The problem with a tv show or movie is it sounds absolutely impossible to film in a way that isn't just a bunch of dudes shoving against each other and dying.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Grittybeard posted:

I am admittedly a big dummy, so Vonnegut is probably the most 'respectable' guy that I actually enjoy and look forward to reading/going back and reading again.

Vonnegut is an incredible author and yet there is often an air of dismissiveness towards him because his books are accessible, short, and funny. It's like people assume a book has to be as opaque as Ulysses or some poo poo to be literary genius. gently caress that, his craftsmanship is second to none because his novels have the overarching structure of a joke. That Vonnegut can land punchlines which make you laugh and cry and feel beauty over the experience of reading a novel is incredible.

Something that made me appreciate him even more is reading the posthumous/unfinished collections. The quality is universally lower than his published stuff, but that's really useful to see how loving hard it is to do what he does. A lot of the projects leave you with a feeling like "this is clearly Vonnegut, but it just misses a beat and/or final impact of his polished jokes".

E: God drat I love Vonnegut.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 7, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
99% of what I read is nonfiction. But the fiction I do read is almost all rereads of Vonnegut because he's so loving good.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Echoing the Pratchett and Vonnegut love, and throwing in a recommendation for The Magicians trilogy, which Scifi network made into a decent show (they're halfway through).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
gently caress you if you don't have the complete works of Vonnegut on your bookshelf right now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Literally mumbling to myself angrily like Popeye at the thought of fuckers who don't respect the big V.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Abugadu posted:

Echoing the Pratchett and Vonnegut love, and throwing in a recommendation for The Magicians trilogy, which Scifi network made into a decent show (they're halfway through).

I'm so glad to see so many Pratchett fans here. Did anyone watch his documentary about Dignitas and end of life services? I cried. :smith:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Chichevache posted:

I'm so glad to see so many Pratchett fans here. Did anyone watch his documentary about Dignitas and end of life services? I cried. :smith:

Same.

I think Pratchett gets dismissed more because he's writing fantasy than because he's writing comedy. He has a better grasp of how human beings operate than any writer I've ever encountered though, and I wonder if that sometimes gets missed because not all of his characters are actually human. It's really easy to find people you might have known in that cast of characters. Like Nobby, for instance. I can't be the only one who's known someone who's kind of a terrible person but somehow also likeable.

I got out of reading around the same time I stopped writing. Both were a little harder to enjoy after his diagnosis, though admittedly the latter was more because I had no idea what I was doing and found submitting work to be super tedious and frustrating.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Bad food chat: I had this good-rear end bratwurst at a pub in Berlin yesterday and now I can't stop making GBS threads

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Quiet Feet posted:

Like Nobby, for instance. I can't be the only one who's known someone who's kind of a terrible person but somehow also likeable.

It's the SA forums, yeah, I'm pretty sure every single person on here qualifies to some varying degree or another.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Im great idk what you're going on about

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The concept of a book snob is pretty hilarious to me.

Also yeah, Vonnegut and Pratchett are both great, and that reminds me of a required course in college. CS majors had to take one of two implications of technology on society courses, one focused explicitly for CS majors, the other a general sociology one. I talk to some people who've taken each and one is basically a semester of slash dot articles about how all copyright needs to be abolished. The other reads Vonnegut (Player Piano) and similar stuff, and spent a lot of time talking about the debate between nuclear power vs fossil fuels vs renewable energy and the issues with each.

Thank you whatever genius did this for siphoning off all of those people to their slashdot hell and whatever poor bastard of a grad student had to sit there and listen to them.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelanzy I my favorite fantasy series (:ssh: it's where my name comes from) and his Lord of Lights book is a great mix of Eastern philosophy and sci-fi. I thought he was a lot more famous when I choose this name cause it sounds silly otherwise.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
A Confederacy of Dunces is still one of my favorite books I've read. Ignatius is the Id of the internet male/neckbeard.

Edit: I can't remember the title, but I started reading a first hand account of an early conquistador. Fascinating stuff and p well wrote/translated.

edit: found the title: "The Memoirs of the Conquistador Bernal Diaz del Castillo, Vol 1 (of 2) Written by Himself Containing a True and Full Account of the Discovery and Conquest of Mexico and New Spain."

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 7, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

We are still trying to decide :v: Definitely the Big Island, a stop on Oahu to go to Pearl, and either Maui or Kaua'i, but not both.

I've been to big, Oahu and Maui. Maui is probably my favorite, but big isn't too far behind. Oahu is a little touristy for my taste, but Pearl Harbor is definitely cool. I stayed in Honolulu, and one thing to consider is parking isn't free there. There's a famous ramen place there that you should go to. The line is long but goes relatively quickly.

Big Island has a lot of cool places that you can casually snorkel around. There's a lot of cultural centers too if you're interested in Polynesian history. If you stay there for a bit, take time to head to Hilo (assuming you're staying around Kona, which is a good idea) on the other side of the island. Unlike Hana in Maui, you can drive through the middle of the island so it isn't as huge of a trek to get there. Their farmers market is super cool.

In Maui, I'd suggest staying in Kihei since that's more in the center. I stayed north of Lahaina once and that's a bit isolated. But even then, Lahaina is only a 45 minute drive away, which you should go to, and drive north to Kaanapali and Nepali beach. Go even more north to check out the blow hole.

If you want more info, I'm always happy to provide.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

seiferguy posted:

I've been to big, Oahu and Maui. Maui is probably my favorite, but big isn't too far behind. Oahu is a little touristy for my taste, but Pearl Harbor is definitely cool. I stayed in Honolulu, and one thing to consider is parking isn't free there. There's a famous ramen place there that you should go to. The line is long but goes relatively quickly.

Big Island has a lot of cool places that you can casually snorkel around. There's a lot of cultural centers too if you're interested in Polynesian history. If you stay there for a bit, take time to head to Hilo (assuming you're staying around Kona, which is a good idea) on the other side of the island. Unlike Hana in Maui, you can drive through the middle of the island so it isn't as huge of a trek to get there. Their farmers market is super cool.

In Maui, I'd suggest staying in Kihei since that's more in the center. I stayed north of Lahaina once and that's a bit isolated. But even then, Lahaina is only a 45 minute drive away, which you should go to, and drive north to Kaanapali and Nepali beach. Go even more north to check out the blow hole.

If you want more info, I'm always happy to provide.
This is great, thank you. We are going to the AAA travel agent on Thursday and we have a list of places that we have heard of that we want to try to get to. We had heard of Kaanapali and Nepali beach and are inclined to go to those; havent heard of the blow hole but will definitely look it up and check it out :pervert:. Most of that stuff about the Big Island is news to me so I've added it all to our list of stuff to know about.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
i exclusively read magic the gathering books you should all dive into the ice age cycle by jeff grubb

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is great, thank you. We are going to the AAA travel agent on Thursday and we have a list of places that we have heard of that we want to try to get to. We had heard of Kaanapali and Nepali beach and are inclined to go to those; havent heard of the blow hole but will definitely look it up and check it out :pervert:. Most of that stuff about the Big Island is news to me so I've added it all to our list of stuff to know about.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29220-d672529-Reviews-Nakalele_Blowhole-Maui_Hawaii.html

It's not too far of a drive. Once you get there it's a short hike down. Wear something hiking friendly since it's all rock down there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Quiet Feet posted:

Same.

I think Pratchett gets dismissed more because he's writing fantasy than because he's writing comedy. He has a better grasp of how human beings operate than any writer I've ever encountered though, and I wonder if that sometimes gets missed because not all of his characters are actually human. It's really easy to find people you might have known in that cast of characters. Like Nobby, for instance. I can't be the only one who's known someone who's kind of a terrible person but somehow also likeable.

I got out of reading around the same time I stopped writing. Both were a little harder to enjoy after his diagnosis, though admittedly the latter was more because I had no idea what I was doing and found submitting work to be super tedious and frustrating.

I think every teenage boy is Nobby, to some extent. Also I know several Fred Colons.

Kalli posted:

The concept of a book snob is pretty hilarious to me.

Also yeah, Vonnegut and Pratchett are both great, and that reminds me of a required course in college. CS majors had to take one of two implications of technology on society courses, one focused explicitly for CS majors, the other a general sociology one. I talk to some people who've taken each and one is basically a semester of slash dot articles about how all copyright needs to be abolished. The other reads Vonnegut (Player Piano) and similar stuff, and spent a lot of time talking about the debate between nuclear power vs fossil fuels vs renewable energy and the issues with each.

Thank you whatever genius did this for siphoning off all of those people to their slashdot hell and whatever poor bastard of a grad student had to sit there and listen to them.

loving ick. :nms:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think I'm addicted to phenibut

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Lemme guess you're taking it way too often? Anything more than once a week youre gonna have a bad time.

I try to read a nonfiction book followed by a fiction one. The content is usually gonna affect the tone of the next one. Ive got ordinary men queued up next which is apparently pretty hard to read.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVQtlQtxCs&t=154s

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Jesus just looking this stuff I'm surprised it's legal in the US without a prescription. I didn't know there were any non-prescription/legal drugs that did anything for you mentally other than like melatonin. I'm going to keep it that way and not touch anything.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SLJ is a pretty amusing man, even when he isn't acting.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What's a good book or series of books that I can get my brother in law who is in prison for armed robbery?

His interests include armed robbery, thug life, comedy and uh...I don't know what else. I'm just trying to get him something interesting that distracts from living in actual hell. I think he mentioned liking the Dresden Files last time, if that helps at all.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ehud posted:

What's a good book or series of books that I can get my brother in law who is in prison for armed robbery?

His interests include armed robbery, thug life, comedy and uh...I don't know what else. I'm just trying to get him something interesting that distracts from living in actual hell. I think he mentioned liking the Dresden Files last time, if that helps at all.

Harry Potter is always magical as gently caress and if he doesnt like it hes irredeemable.

The dark tower series is a pretty fun ride and not exactly deep reading.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ehud posted:

If he has a lot of time on his hands then the Wheel of Time series is good. Seriously, there was a goon who did an A/T thread about his prison stay who said it was popular among inmates just due to its length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

If he liked the Dresden Files than he will probably enjoy any piece of poo poo you can find at an airport. Just go to your local used book store and ask them for the box of crap they were going to donate to a thrift store.

Jim Butcher loving sucks. t:mad:

Really though, if he likes that kind of modern fantasy I would suggest Charles de Lint. He's very mild and writes wonderfully nuanced characters where you can really tell he is trying to understand the points of view of all people, even the cruel and dumb. He writes some of the best female characters in fantasy, and I've heard that opinion from women as well. A few of his books did a wonderful job of toning down some of my dumb biases and they might help your bro-in-law become a more thoughtful and kind human being. (Sorry if I'm judging him completely wrong, but if he likes the narcissistic masturbation of Jim Butcher I can't imagine him being anything else. Also the whole armed robbery thing.) The Onion Girl or Someplace to be Flying are both really good. If you think he's not ready for those then I also suggest Trader, which again I recommend as a book to motivate introspection. Good luck.

Shangri-Law School posted:

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

gently caress. That's a pretty good story. I don't know if it is write for the audience, but it is good.

Quiet Feet posted:

If he has a lot of time on his hands then the Wheel of Time series is good. Seriously, there was a goon who did an A/T thread about his prison stay who said it was popular among inmates just due to its length.

I guess I second this as a way of killing time.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 8, 2017

• Locked thread