Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I lifted too hard over my 3 day weekend and was basically useless at work, i had to mask a bunch of floors and i was just kicking the paper rolls around making a bunch of noise as i got up and down lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Fallows posted:

I lifted too hard over my 3 day weekend and was basically useless at work, i had to mask a bunch of floors and i was just kicking the paper rolls around making a bunch of noise as i got up and down lol

I do the getting up and lifting grunt during regular activities throughout the day. Feels good man

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I benched 165lbs my first "untrained" day in a gym and then got pinned under 175 and had to be rescued by three teenage girls that's my self-reported story thanks for reading.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

We're self-reporting now? Sweet. How much does a house weigh?

Time to go home and PR everything.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'll admit that as a beginner I wasted a lot of time and effort because I didn't know who to listen to for advice. A trainer would only have helped if I knew a good one from a bad one, and knew that a full-body periodization split was less effective than a simple complex barbell program.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I feel a cold coming on and now I have to decide:

lift anyways because i might not be able to later but risk worsening symptoms by straining myself

or

take it easy hoping for a quicker recovery but risk missing more workouts.

goons?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

nm, i decided to juat lift and hasten my demise. I'd rather die swole than live in shame

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Homestar Runner posted:

:psyduck: In any case this is in no way shape or form a controlled study, and there's no method to determine the reliability of the results.

Help. I am here from /r/fitness. Need peer reviewed long term study to tell me how strong I can get.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Thesaurus posted:

I feel a cold coming on and now I have to decide:

lift anyways because i might not be able to later but risk worsening symptoms by straining myself

or

take it easy hoping for a quicker recovery but risk missing more workouts.

goons?

Neither. Work hard at recovering by eating 10,000 calories.and setting a sleep pr.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

so cumdumpster, you lifted 400 after one year.
The average is 365 after 3 to 6 months. Seems to me not even you are living up to those standards.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

Neither. Work hard at recovering by eating 10,000 calories.and setting a sleep pr.

lol my 1RM for sleep has been in the shitter since my kid was born two years ago. Nothing like never sleeping past 6 or 7 goodbye gains :cry:

i will endeavor to eat a lot, though.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
it took me 2 years to get to 400

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Not that not everyone can reach those numbers, but it took me more than three months. At three months I was still trying to figure out how to not die during squats

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

caps on caps on caps posted:

so cumdumpster, you lifted 400 after one year.
The average is 365 after 3 to 6 months. Seems to me not even you are living up to those standards.

The one year was a guess but I had the dates for the progress I posted written down in my logbook. Can't remember when I started deadlifting other than it was 11th grade.

Also I wasn't training anywhere near correctly because all I had to go on were Powerlifting USA magazines I bought at Borders. And my diet was I would have one MetRx shake a day. Sometimes two!

Walked uphill to and from the gym in the snow.

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 8, 2017

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

So when I say "I can do X when I squat", am I supposed to say how much I can do a single rep for or how much I can do a few sets for?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Depends on who you're talking to :grin:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Batterypowered7 posted:

So when I say "I can do X when I squat", am I supposed to say how much I can do a single rep for or how much I can do a few sets for?

context clues

autism joke

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
Just give your widowmaker. Thanks for asking mine is 345 right now.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dum Cumpster posted:

The one year was a guess but I had the dates for the progress I posted written down in my logbook. Can't remember when I started deadlifting other than it was 11th grade.

Also I wasn't training anywhere near correctly because all I had to go on were Powerlifting USA magazines I bought at Borders. And my diet was I would have one MetRx shake a day. Sometimes two!

Walked uphill to and from the gym in the snow.

what was it like going to high school during the cold war?

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
If you start out with a decent program, stick with it and don't waste time doing bullshit stuff you should pretty easily hit a 200 kg dl and a 100 kg bench the first year if not you are just pissing around and will never get anywhere even with roids, hell look at the tcc roid thread .... Jesus ...

On a lighter note my body dysmorphia is kicking in during this cut and I cry every time I see my own head in proportion to my now smaller frame, it just gets larger and larger.,.. and why am I even cutting without roids gently caress ....wanna shave my skull and wrap a pizza around a fat steak...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ZigZag posted:

If you start out with a decent program, stick with it and don't waste time doing bullshit stuff you should pretty easily hit a 200 kg dl and a 100 kg bench the first year

Legs like tree trunks, arms like twigs.

Mark Rippetoe has made generation of lifters hilarious to look at.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Deadlift a measly 200 won't get you that SS centaur look, sorry that you got a weak back or whatever it is that make you think that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ZigZag posted:

Deadlift a measly 200 won't get you that SS centaur look, sorry that you got a weak back or whatever it is that make you think that.

It will with baby's first 100kg bench.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
First day in the gym my body exploded in a torrent of muscles and I lifted all the weight

All. The. Weight

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also how much you "should" be able to lift depends on who you are, BRO

a 70kg twink isn't going to be hitting as heavy weights as fast as a 120kg mountainman when they're new in teh gym

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
70kg is too big for a twink imo.

I'd get insecure.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

No internet :\

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I have been lifting for like 18 months and am nowhere near a 100kg bench

OTOH I started on Starting Strength and moved onto Texas Method before starting a more bodybuilding style program, so I did have that FULL CENTAUR look going for a while

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

just came back from gym to look for all those twinks benching 130kg after three months of training. Didn't see anyone benching 130kg. also didn't see a single women squatting 140kg. Seems my gym sucks. Did a dl PR anyway.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just want the court to note that I am in fact a twink and I can in fact do 100kg bench

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Not to mention that I put on like 10kg initially from drinking and eating way too much in true Rippetoe style

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
gently caress bench, the real measure of upper body swole is weighted chins

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Time posted:

gently caress bench, the real measure of upper body swole is weighted chins blowjobs

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Do you measure the weight of the man your blowing or the weight of what's in your mouth?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You put a weight-sling on your lower jaw and then

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

caps on caps on caps posted:

just came back from gym to look for all those twinks benching 130kg after three months of training. Didn't see anyone benching 130kg. also didn't see a single women squatting 140kg. Seems my gym sucks. Did a dl PR anyway.

Are there any coaches or people competing at a high level in strength sports? If not then yes it does.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

I just want the court to note that I am in fact a twink and I can in fact do 100kg bench

I can't bench any more because of dodgy "ulnar nerves" and can't shift this gross weight I put on over Christmas but same.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Defiant Sally posted:

Cheap gas, threat of nuclear war, lots of cocaine.

Good times.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If you've been lifting for more than 2 years and can't pull 4x your bodyweight yet prob never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fallows posted:

If you've been lifting for more than 2 years and can't pull 4x your bodyweight yet prob never will
Pulling 920lbs would be real hard. Still 15 months until your 2 year deadline though.