Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So you're saying that immigrants brought JAGUARS with them and people still don't wanna build the wall?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

E: ehhh, content. Few years ago I was shocked to learn that dogs and cats lap up water backwards from how I imagined.

It's even weirder than that. Now, the thought is they aren't even scooping it at all. They're actually slapping the water and using cavitation to fire a column of water into their mouth. If you look at your gif, it cuts off right before the money-shot. They snap the tongue back into their mouth and then chomp down on the suspended water column.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-how-dogs-drink-20151215-story.html
(quick link I found. It's LA Times so expect a lot of Ad Blocker bullshit)

quote:

Dogs’ tongues exit the water at speeds of up to 4 mph (or 1.8 meters per second), creating a pressure difference between the tongue and the water’s surface. That causes a column of water to shoot up in front of the tongue.

The tongue’s high acceleration (measured at up to four times the force of gravity) suspends the water column in the air just long enough to catch it with a snap of the jaws. The findings show dogs drink similarly to cats, but a few key differences remain.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I've only ever heard 'expedient' in the context of 'field expedient', basically knocking together something that will work well enough. Never encountered it used negatively, certainly not in a selfish sense like M-W definition 2. About the worst you could say about an expedient is that it's not the right way, but the counter is "if it's stupid, but it works, it's not stupid".

FWIW etymonline.com doesn't mention a negative meaning either, but does link it to expedite, which turns out to basically mean 'freed from obstruction' rather than 'fast'. I didn't know that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A really good sandwich doesn't need condiments.

I'm right.

rim.jobs webmaster
Feb 4, 2010

Selfishness is not negative.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rim.jobs webmaster posted:

Selfishness is not negative.

Libertarian spotted.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Libertarian spotted.

This thread does seem to attract a certain type of clueless goober.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had a heated argument with a colleague because of the word "facile". I had only ever read that in scientific journals, with sentences like "we have found a facile new method to synthesize this compound", so I mentally saved it as "simple, in fact simpler than before". Said colleague got up in arms because "facile" means oversimplified so it's not actually positive at all, yet everyone uses it.

Thing is, I still use it because it's a wonderfully facile (:haw:) word - very short, has a lot of (positive!) connotations and everyone in the community will get it. Still think of my colleague everytime though and send a silent sorry in his direction.

For the record, I'm German and he's Belgian. We met in Prague, reading Chinese and, yes, American papers using the word. I loving love science (for real tho).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I had a heated argument with a colleague because of the word "facile". I had only ever read that in scientific journals, with sentences like "we have found a facile new method to synthesize this compound", so I mentally saved it as "simple, in fact simpler than before". Said colleague got up in arms because "facile" means oversimplified so it's not actually positive at all, yet everyone uses it.

Thing is, I still use it because it's a wonderfully facile (:haw:) word - very short, has a lot of (positive!) connotations and everyone in the community will get it. Still think of my colleague everytime though and send a silent sorry in his direction.

For the record, I'm German and he's Belgian. We met in Prague, reading Chinese and, yes, American papers using the word. I loving love science (for real tho).

nvm

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Mar 8, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Simply Simon posted:

I've never heard the word "facile" used in a positive way about anything. I wouldn't have been able to tell you off hand what it meant, but I knew it was negative.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It has positive connotations in French, which I would expect a Belgian to know. It's just the standard word for "easy."

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
It's just 'easy' in Spanish too, but like Tiggum, I've never heard it used in English without meaning 'overly dumbed-down' or 'childishly simple'.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phy posted:

Apparently there have occasionally been jaguar sightings in the southwestern United States. I had no idea they got that far north. I mean, I knew intellectually that there had to be some in Mexico, what with the Aztec and Mayan reverence for them, but I guess I just sort of mentally filed them as South American Mammals, Never To Get Further North Than Panama.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So you're saying that immigrants brought JAGUARS with them and people still don't wanna build the wall?!

Well clearly the canal isn't working. What good is a wall gonna do?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hardcordion posted:

I was going to suggest that you might've been thinking of "expediate" but apparently that's not even a word and I was thinking of expedite.

I think the word you're all looking for is "expeditious". It means "done quickly and efficiently".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

A really good sandwich doesn't need condiments.

I'm right.

The best(-tasting) sandwich is just fresh bread and butter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

flosofl posted:

Dogs’ tongues exit the water at speeds of up to 4 mph (or 1.8 meters per second), creating a pressure difference between the tongue and the water’s surface. That causes a column of water to shoot up in front of the tongue. 

That explains why my (hilariously lazy rear end in a top hat of a) dog refuses to drink out of the water trough at the dog park, and instead will wait for me to turn the tap on and then bite the pouring water.

I've never met a Labrador so lazy. My in-laws have a Whippet, and I'll walk both of them together sometimes, and my dog won't chase the ball if the whippet is there because he knows he won't get it. He's not slow or fat, just that the whippet is basically Usain Bolt.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm not usually the first to say dogs are smart (cause they really arent) but your dog is smart. Why go get the ball if the speedy dog gets it every time.

My grandma had a dog named Bear in the 1930s that you could be like "ohhh Bear, ohhh poor Bear" and he'd start limping almost immediately.

Also I went to school with a guy in the late 1980s who had two dogs, one was an old lab mix, the other was a young scandinavian farm dog. Every time anyone showed the least bit of affection towards the young dog, the old dog would start limping and yelping.

Dogs are bigger pussies than cats.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

I'm not usually the first to say dogs are smart (cause they really arent) but your dog is smart. Why go get the ball if the speedy dog gets it every time.

My grandma had a dog named Bear in the 1930s that you could be like "ohhh Bear, ohhh poor Bear" and he'd start limping almost immediately.

Also I went to school with a guy in the late 1980s who had two dogs, one was an old lab mix, the other was a young scandinavian farm dog. Every time anyone showed the least bit of affection towards the young dog, the old dog would start limping and yelping.

Dogs are bigger pussies than cats.

Labradors are lazy as gently caress. My Lab/Mastiff mix is currently doing his bear rug impression as I type this. He'll get up to go outside, run around after squirrels and bark at birds and random air molecules, and then come back in and lay all 105 lbs on my feet again and grunt in annoyance when I get up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I should mention that 1930s Bear was some kind of Schäfer (German Shepard I think is the translation?)

So it's not strictly labradors.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Powaqoatse posted:

:3:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hogmartin posted:

I've only ever heard 'expedient' in the context of 'field expedient', basically knocking together something that will work well enough. Never encountered it used negatively, certainly not in a selfish sense like M-W definition 2. About the worst you could say about an expedient is that it's not the right way, but the counter is "if it's stupid, but it works, it's not stupid".

FWIW etymonline.com doesn't mention a negative meaning either, but does link it to expedite, which turns out to basically mean 'freed from obstruction' rather than 'fast'. I didn't know that.

Negative in the sense of jury rig -- "It's not great, but it's the best that we can do in a pinch with what we have on hand," as opposed to "taking the time to do it proper-like". Cf. German "ersatz", and modern "duct tape and/or baling wire" methods of making do.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

vv they literally had a framed photo of that dog -- even still 50 years after he died vv

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powaqoatse posted:

vv they literally had a framed photo of that dog -- even still 50 years after he died vv

loving hell that's a cool looking dogge

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can we put that doggo in the finals of the forum doggo vote?

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

Negative in the sense of jury rig -- "It's not great, but it's the best that we can do in a pinch with what we have on hand," as opposed to "taking the time to do it proper-like". Cf. German "ersatz", and modern "duct tape and/or baling wire" methods of making do.

Ha up until now I always thought the term was "Jerry rig". Like some guy named Jerry fixed things in a half assed way so often that a term was named after him or something. Not that I've ever given it much thought, but this is the first time I've seen that term written. I've been saying it wrong my whole life.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

om nom nom posted:

Ha up until now I always thought the term was "Jerry rig". Like some guy named Jerry fixed things in a half assed way so often that a term was named after him or something. Not that I've ever given it much thought, but this is the first time I've seen that term written. I've been saying it wrong my whole life.

No, you're not wrong. They're two pretty similar, related terms. "Jerry rigged" refers to "Jerry the German", in the sense of a wartime name for the dude you're fighting (like "Charlie" for the Viet Cong). Until I googled, I thought "Jury rigged" was the derivative, but it's actually the origin, though "Jerry rigged" developed through the two world wars. Source: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged.

Anyway, I maintain that "expedient" means "done as conveniently and quickly as possible, sacrificing efficiency, orthodoxy or even morals as necessary". So a thing that was built "field expedient" would be "it might not be built to proper building regulations, or aesthetically pleasing, but it does the job so it's good enough", with the implication of "because we're in the middle of a loving war, so perfection takes a back seat".

Another example is the very excellent satire of Wernher von Braun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro, a German WW2 rocket scientist who was an instrumental part of the V2 rockets that bombed London, and then became an instrumental part of NASA's efforts to beat the Russians to the moon. The song says "A man whose allegiance is ruled by expedience. Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown". As in, he found it convenient to quickly change loyalty from Nazi Germany to the USA, and critics and satirists found this questionable.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Mar 11, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vis a vis political expedience which is usually used to describe convenient and fluid allegiances, rubber stamped legislation, or enforcement of policy following the letter but with specific tendencies or lack of oversight to benefit a specific group at the expense of another.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Powaqoatse posted:

Good Bear :3: :3:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powaqoatse posted:

Bear was good dog.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Bear was good dog.

Maybe his foots were asleep. :3:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

walrusman posted:

Maybe his foots were asleep. :3:

Itchy balls more likely.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's how I do it, at least.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
If a nursing female dog has itchy balls, that's' a very good trick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Domus posted:

If a nursing female dog has itchy balls, that's' a very good trick.

Itchy tits then gently caress you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thread title.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

No, you're not wrong. They're two pretty similar, related terms. "Jerry rigged" refers to "Jerry the German", in the sense of a wartime name for the dude you're fighting (like "Charlie" for the Viet Cong). Until I googled, I thought "Jury rigged" was the derivative, but it's actually the origin, though "Jerry rigged" developed through the two world wars. Source: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged.

Oh neat, that makes me feel better. It's kind of like the other "rigged" term that's a very rude thing to say.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thread title

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rolo posted:

Thread title.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Apparently I've been saying Marriott wrong. I've always said it like "mary-ott" but the way they say it on their commercials is like "marry-it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Whaaaaaaaat