Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

This is why I don't play on Expert, or almost never. Overcharting bugs the poo poo out of me, especially since I actually play guitar. Things like charting chords as three rapid strums on one button? What even is that?

Yeah, generally I like playing on Expert for the easier songs and Hard for the more difficult ones, because the former becomes a real crapshoot once you start getting into hard rock and metal songs.

edit: and really by that point Hard difficulty basically becomes Expert, with Expert becoming a wild west of insane note placement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I am positive I have mode this exact post in the games chat thread before but jesus christ gently caress Raining Blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkFaPbYKymc

This song is so overcharted that when it appeared in Guitar Hero Smash Hits they made the final note of the song use all 5 buttons on the controller.

Yes, really.

I like Guitar Hero Live's control scheme better where it's two rows of 3 buttons

I guess it probably feels slightly closer to the real thing too maybe??? But I've never played a guitar so I don't know (Rocksmith always looked cool to me I don't know if that's still a thing)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I play actual guitar and yeah, you're right. Generally the difference in how you hold a real guitar vs a guitar hero guitar is that the buttons are way farther apart than your fingers usually go.

On a guitar hero guitar, each button from green to blue has a finger on it. With a real guitar it's more like pointer on green, middle on red, and ring/pinky both in the general area of yellow. That's just the neutral position for playing single notes though, stuff like chords that stretch halfway down the guitar is pretty much the same amount of reaching. Guitar Hero Live is closer to the real thing because it mimics putting your fingers on different strings which old school GH doesn't do at all, in addition to the finger position thing.

I haven't played Guitar Hero Live though, seems like an interesting change to the formula.

edit: Guitar Hero is also harder than playing the real song on a real guitar in a lot of cases because they have you play every guitar track so that you're always playing something. The Dragonforce song in Guitar Hero 3 has I think two guitars, a rhythm guitar, and a keytar, and they have you swap back and forth between them a whole lot whereas in real life the guys playing the instruments rotate throughout the song.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 8, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I like Guitar Hero Live's control scheme better where it's two rows of 3 buttons

I never trusted them to not abuse this and have rapid fire chords where it's .-. -.- repeated over and over again super quickly.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Playing the WiiU Zelda and it's perfectly loving fine. If you don't have a Switch just play the Wii U version. Don't let people sway you away unless you're getting a switch tomorrow.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

I play actual guitar and yeah, you're right. Generally the difference in how you hold a real guitar vs a guitar hero guitar is that the buttons are way farther apart than your fingers usually go.

On a guitar hero guitar, each button from green to blue has a finger on it. With a real guitar it's more like pointer on green, middle on red, and ring/pinky both in the general area of yellow. That's just the neutral position for playing single notes though, stuff like chords that stretch halfway down the guitar is pretty much the same amount of reaching. Guitar Hero Live is closer to the real thing because it mimics putting your fingers on different strings which old school GH doesn't do at all, in addition to the finger position thing.

I haven't played Guitar Hero Live though, seems like an interesting change to the formula.

edit: Guitar Hero is also harder than playing the real song on a real guitar in a lot of cases because they have you play every guitar track so that you're always playing something. The Dragonforce song in Guitar Hero 3 has I think two guitars, a rhythm guitar, and a keytar, and they have you swap back and forth between them a whole lot whereas in real life the guys playing the instruments rotate throughout the song.

This is more a Neversoft problem than all the Guitar Hero series, though I guess these days that distinction's not all that important. Their Expert charts are really video gamey and tend to be unfun, the Harmonix GH games and Rock Band tend to be a bit more "accurate" in that they feel right compared to playing on a real guitar. That's not always true of course, Joker and the Thief and Snow (Hey Oh) are way harder in the game than in reality, but that's kind of unavoidable.

Still, it could be worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzOYXB9bbT8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Rock Band is definitely more grounded, not just in its tone and song choice but in the way the charts are laid out.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2xgxbytJ20&t=81s

There's also this short bit in The Devil Went Down To Georgia where you have to strum almost faster than the guitar can register, to the point where I have to question if they actually playtested it to see if it was possible first. It makes me wonder about the playtesting process for these games. Was there someone at Neversoft, Red Octane, or Harmonix who had a 100%, if not a full combo, on every Guitar Hero song? How did they decide when a super hard song was done being charted?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 8, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Sometimes I feel bad for the modern Blizzard writers & artists post Metzen's retirement but just lol

ive been playing the gwent game lately and I find it a lot more enjoyable than hs simply because the art and lore are infinitely more interesting than stuff like "the frostwolf swordreavers of warblood tribe" or whatever other trashy nonsense hs devs are forced to use

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In horizon a minor fetch quest just required me to go through an elegant and fun platforming section that most other games would call a full story mission

And I did it in the rain at night and my god this game is gorgeous

Goty etc

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

While we're posting rhythm game videos I'd just like to throw this out there cause it's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYy09D_jDo

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

plz dont pull out posted:

While we're posting rhythm game videos I'd just like to throw this out there cause it's crazy.

Taiko no Tatsujin is one of my favorite series and I'm so stoked that they've got one coming to Switch.

Wanna hang out with that drum.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Why would you ever do that :negative:

And here I was all excited for a new cool Bomberman game.

also it seems as they spent all of 5 mins on the art, game looks like utter rear end

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What, the artstyle is the only thing the game has, it's the bad generic 3D assets used ingame that's the problem.

Also the music is surprisingly good.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I feel bad for anyone who spent 50 dollars on the terrible bomberman game. I mean christ 10 bucks would be steep for that piece of poo poo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I got cold feet and cancelled my Switch Bomberman order.

In other news, still real early in the game but it almost feels like Nier 2 is making fun of the plot of Nier 1 right now

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

FFXV is bad because it's a mess of a rushed half-of-a-game with terrible characters, terrible writing, a wonky battle system, and an open world that is too small and insanely bland.

I wouldn't say the open world is too small, there's just nothing much in it. The combat system also never really went anywhere from the very beginning of the game, The story felt like it was missing an act. I guess since they're apparently adding a bunch of story content in patches it actually was.

I liked Prompto and Ignis.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

plz dont pull out posted:

:eyepop:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone played Blackwake? Game seems fun for what I've played of it. Snuck into the enemy galleons crow's nest and shot like 10 people from there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier is better than I thought it would be

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Nier is better than I thought it would be

It rules.

Speaking of Anime games, I got two endings in Stein's Hate yesterday and man it's way better than it had any right to be, especially given how closely it comes to being a harem anime.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

babypolis posted:

ive been playing the gwent game lately and I find it a lot more enjoyable than hs simply because the art and lore are infinitely more interesting than stuff like "the frostwolf swordreavers of warblood tribe" or whatever other trashy nonsense hs devs are forced to use

Gwent is one of those things I just never got the appeal of. I tried to avoid it every chance I got in Witcher 3. In one of the DLC you're forced to play it at a party, but luckily you can forfeit that poo poo and get sweet donkey ears in the process

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dice Poker was decently fun in the first game where it was best two out of three and betting psychology was part of the meta-game but it sucked in 2 because it was just luck-based.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My 2nd pair of Sony PlayStation Wireless headphones broke. The plastic on these things is awful and they don't even sound that good. I decided to buy the Astro Gaming A50 Wireless headset tonight. A lot of my friends recommend this set and from the sounds of it the build quality is amazing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gwent is good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gwent is great, because it's mechanically very straightforward, but there are some classical cardgame type strategies that emerge. It has more in commom with Hearts than Magic:The Gathering, I feel.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

You guys do realize im talking about the standalone Gwent game right? its pretty good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

You guys do realize im talking about the standalone Gwent game right? its pretty good

Is it mechanically different from gwent in w3?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess it probably feels slightly closer to the real thing too maybe??? But I've never played a guitar so I don't know (Rocksmith always looked cool to me I don't know if that's still a thing)

It does feel more like a real guitar. At first it annoyed me but eventually I got used to it and felt it was a nice change-up. GH Live is pretty solid and I can safely recommend it but it still suffers most from song selection. It never really come close to hitting the high-water marks in the genre that are GH2 and RB2.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

Is it mechanically different from gwent in w3?

the basic game mechanics are the same but obviously they rebalanced a bunch of stuff to make it a competitive multiplayer game

the stuff you mention still plays a large part and its even better because you are playing actual people and not a dumb AI

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the design of this roach card is so good it made me want to play the game

http://www.gosunoob.com/gwent/cards-database/roach-11221000/

perfect combination of art, lore, and gameplay

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i think my copy of breath of the wild is defective. when i licked my disc, it didn't taste like anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Instant Sunrise posted:

i think my copy of breath of the wild is defective. when i licked my disc, it didn't taste like anything.

Try the edge

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Snak posted:

Gwent is great, because it's mechanically very straightforward, but there are some classical cardgame type strategies that emerge. It has more in commom with Hearts than Magic:The Gathering, I feel.

This was a big hurdle for me, I think, I was overcomplicating Gwent in my head for so long that I had to just go watch YouTubes to get it.

Speaking of MTG: The newest set reprints Blood Moon so get ready for a shitload of gifs of angry nerds flipping tables.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Try the edge

it's very smooth

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Try the edge

Wii U game disc edges are rounded. :geno:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Exactly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hello,

This week Hello Games will be releasing the next content update for No Man's Sky. We're calling it the Path Finder Update; it introduces a new vehicle that will aid home planet exploration, building on the Foundation Update to hint at a path ahead for the future.

Detailed patch notes will be released when the update goes live.

Shortly after we launched the Foundation Update, we released a number of patches to address issues reported by players before beginning work on the Path Finder update. We were surprised and excited by the response to Foundation, and we have been listening carefully to community feedback since then.

To those of you who have spent time sharing feedback, whether positive or negative, we are listening.

This is the next step in our journey. It shows the path forward. We hope you'll join us.

Thank you,
Hello Games

i will not join you sorry

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Regardless of whether No Man's Sky is good or not, I am impressed by how the team has stuck with the game, even after the game became a laughingstock in the media. Kudos on them for continuing to work on it and make it better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Still not gonna buy it though.

I'm looking at this game instead because apparently I'm in the mood for old, anime srpgs? It's not on sale, but...I still want to play it, so I might splurge a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish Japanese developers consulted me before settling on a final name for their game

• Locked thread