Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Landsknecht posted:

ya and then you just force people to get supers to take caps to cobtown

Right, the solution to all problems is more supercaps :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Make small ships more effective vs caps

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Make small ships more effective vs caps

That's one reason for the fighter nerf. A larger Sig means a real doctrine has the chance of being able to defang carriers without a million webs and paints. In a true large scale fighter battle you can't rely on free-firing right now, and you can't focus fire down just ones that are webbed at any reasonable rate. In theory now cruiser weapon systems will be able to track fighters at mid to long range, something they can't really do now.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

honestly can we release the angel hel please

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Viva Miriya posted:

honestly can we release the angel helragnarok please

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

L0cke17 posted:

Right, the solution to all problems is more supercaps :rolleyes:

I think that motto is what AMOKE. lives by.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone have any experience running incursions outside of a dedicated corporation?

I've read there pick up groups for incursion runs in high sec but wondering if anyone had a good run down and experience

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When they first came out the pick up groups were like 2 large channels and there were no corps. They even had ship replacement funds that people donated to.

I have no idea anymore. That was back when they were lucrative as all hell

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
they still are

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
How can CCP on one hand run something as complex as EVE servers and on the other be too stupid to code a baseline useful API?

Their new API has a search function that a) cannot search any string shorter than 3 characters (so you cannot reliably search for tickers) and b) whose "strict" mode does gently caress all to actually do matching properly. If you can't do strict string-matching against your bloody database, how the hell do you intend to do anything useful? It's no wonder so many things in EVE don't work properly.

:saddowns: and/or :ccp:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

How can CCP on one hand run something as complex as EVE servers and on the other be too stupid to code a baseline useful API?

Their new API has a search function that a) cannot search any string shorter than 3 characters (so you cannot reliably search for tickers) and b) whose "strict" mode does gently caress all to actually do matching properly. If you can't do strict string-matching against your bloody database, how the hell do you intend to do anything useful? It's no wonder so many things in EVE don't work properly.

:saddowns: and/or :ccp:

Doesn't the in-game search limit searches to 3+ characters? If so, that is probably the reason because it's probably piggybacking off the same back end code

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

gwrtheyrn posted:

Doesn't the in-game search limit searches to 3+ characters? If so, that is probably the reason because it's probably piggybacking off the same back end code

Hmm, that's an interesting question. That would mean you can't search for "The Scope", for example, via their search, if all you know is their ticker "TS". Either way... I mean, I get that they don't let you search for T* or something, but they should be able to do something like ^TS$ for "strict" mode.

:psyduck:

Not that you can use regexp, but you get the idea...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Legacy code.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Probably a DB proc they use that's jank as gently caress.

Does choosing a search other than All in game help? I swear I've searched with 2 chars before but I'm also high right now.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

necrotic posted:

Does choosing a search other than All in game help? I swear I've searched with 2 chars before but I'm also high right now.

This. It is indeed a stored procedure. (I've broken it ingame and had sql exceptions come out as a result.)

BTW, forgot one other bit from the previous bit about recons: they also got hosed by module tiericide because most faction ewar/tackle went up in CPU. It's so loving hard to even get a minimum of useful modules on the ship, even before its lovely stats.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Getting bored of nullsec, thinking of moving to wh-space. Is life in the hole better than the blue donut?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

edit:

Got my eve threads confused. Move along.

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

Keegers posted:

Getting bored of nullsec, thinking of moving to wh-space. Is life in the hole better than the blue donut?

WH space is similar to syndicate, everything is fine until someone big finds your hole. The money is a lot better though once you figure out the tricks but it takes a lot of logistics to keep your armory stocked in a hole. No Jump freighters, and mostly using dst's.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

necrotic posted:

ullerrm posted:

This. It is indeed a stored procedure. (I've broken it ingame and had sql exceptions come out as a result.)

BTW, forgot one other bit from the previous bit about recons: they also got hosed by module tiericide because most faction ewar/tackle went up in CPU. It's so loving hard to even get a minimum of useful modules on the ship, even before its lovely stats.

:staredog:

I actually wonder about this, though, because it seems they basically just keep shuffling around front-ends for all of their "new" API(s) without ever actually improving their backend properly. This would also explain why we get new features such as contact list writing (which can't do comments and is therefore borderline useless) or the location API, which is quite hard to get from people since it will give you basically perfect intel on their whereabouts with a 5s(?) precision while they are online for an unlimited period of time.

Regarding recons:

CPU isn't just a problem when it comes to Ewar. If you want to actually use them for reconnaissance, as their name seems to imply, you are basically looking at CovOps Cloak + Cyno + Covert Cyno + Probe Launcher, Shield Tank (:rip: Arazu) + Nanofibers in the lowslots. Only on the Falcon can you actually fit all those (and only with a Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher) + tank without fitting either a co-proc, a fitting rig or a fitting implant, and that still means you won't have enough CPU left for something useful instead of a co-proc (Damage Control, PDS etc.). The Rapier usually requires some fitting assistance, and the Arazu requires a whooping two co-procs if you try to fit nano + DC + tank + highs, and you really want one EM rig. They are also all rather sluggish.

I guess the Rapier at least has a cute RLML build, or you can use an XLASB kite build if you are bored of using Recons for...recon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Keegers posted:

Depends on where you go. I'm not in hole squad, but there's usually content to be found in all of w-space. You have to look for it though, it won't be handed to you on a silver platter like null can be (which also lead to endless whining about C5's dying because of ~reasons~, but that's for another day or maybe the other thread). The hardest part in w-space, especially if you're coming from null, is the lack of local. D-scan and scouts are your friends.

Oh, and you have to scan. If you're crap at scanning, you'll get good drat quick. I like it though. Map building can be actually pretty relaxing.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
In overview, how does the ship tab work?

There's 3 display settings for pilot (cc.aa) or pilot (cc) etc.

What are the codes and commands to alter this as well? What do you people have

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

without ever actually improving their backend properly

Legacy code is a hell of a thing

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

input sanitization is hard, let's go regexing

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ullerrm posted:

input sanitization is hard, let's go regexing

Yep. Their "ESI search" seems to also be regexp-based:

code:
> (json-api (esi-search "TS." '("corporation")))
'#hasheq((corporation
          (1000107
           -- >8 snip 8< --
           2020826785)))
Just "TS" isn't long enough, but TS. sure as hell catches a whole bunch of corporations (The Scope is the first one), which suggests they are basically passing this as-is as "TS.*" to their backend. And this is with "strict" mode enabled.

:psyduck:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Lazy code is a hell of a thing

edit: Ahahaha, it's actually even worse. "TS." also catches .TS (Temple of Solitude) and .TS. (The Smugglers), alongside, as suspected, any corporation ticker that starts with TS (it would also catch names, but ts is an unlikely starting vowel combination).

:psyboom:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 10, 2017

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
There's already been some discussion of the HIC changes here plus the general eve-wide wailing and gnashing of teeth over Rorqual mining and carrier ratting, but some the new changes are pretty great QOL/"small things":

quote:

Added a Launch Drones shortcut: By default, this will act like right clicking on Drones in Bay and selecting Launch Drones, but you can now also select a favorite drone group to be the default target for this shortcut (Saved per hull type).

The drop rates of module blueprints from data sites has been adjusted to better match consumption. The main impact of this change is increased drop rates for Small Ancillary Armor Repairer blueprints.

The list of items that are allowed inside cargoholds of ships within ship maintenance arrays and ship maintenance bays has been expanded to include boosters, liquid ozone and strontium in addition to charges.

Repair is now available as a standard NPC service in all Upwell structures.

Undocking from a Upwell Structure with a session change timer will now queue and then action the undock once the timer has expired (As it currently works in a station).

All Mobile Warp Disruptors will now generate killmails when destroyed.

All Mobile Warp Disruptors will decay and explode if left in space for extended periods of time.

Cheaper SAARs :neckbeard:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Discussion Quorum posted:

the general eve-wide wailing and gnashing of teeth over Rorqual mining

I saw a suggestion that the excavator drones should be like sentries, and it's like goddamn that would prevent a whole lot of really dumb design choices (and the frankly stupid way that rocks are going to be the size of planetoids now).

Instead we have theory-crafting for vindicators to web them in place because 1 vindi + 1 rorq will be more yield than 2 rorqs.

quote:

Cheaper SAARs :neckbeard:

I thought they already boosted the drop rate for those?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Klyith posted:

Instead we have theory-crafting for vindicators to web them in place because 1 vindi + 1 rorq will be more yield than 2 rorqs.

I've seen that, it's pretty :wtc:

quote:

I thought they already boosted the drop rate for those?

If they did maybe it wasn't enough. Haven't they spiked to over 6m? Makes solo frigate PVP a lot less affordable for newbies and probably really sucks for Gallente or Amarr alphas.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Discussion Quorum posted:

If they did maybe it wasn't enough. Haven't they spiked to over 6m? Makes solo frigate PVP a lot less affordable for newbies and probably really sucks for Gallente or Amarr alphas.

Fly shield, dumpster (read: sometimes win) against SAAR fits, enjoy 15m killmails from frigates.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Keegers posted:

Things got a lot better once citadels came online.

Main difference is that local does not show who is in your hole unless they decide to chat in local.

But the biggest issue is getting supplies in and products out of your hole on a consistent basis.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Is skill-point farming still a thing or did CCP nerf-hammer it into the ground?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

RazNation posted:

it's still viable

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RazNation posted:

lol why would ccp nerf-hammer a thing that makes them a poo poo ton of money? especially when they can rely on players to run that poo poo into the ground for them?

(with current buy-sell spreads you make under 200m on a plexed account, assuming you are starting with a 5m SP character and +5s)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Klyith posted:

What? How's that supposed to work?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Dalael posted:

What? How's that supposed to work?

Because the main problem of the most recent changes is travel time, the drones are slow as gently caress and the rocks are getting increased in size dramatically so they could end their cycle on the other side and have to travel all the way back cutting profit by a dumb amount, however if you hold them relatively still with 90% webs they should be close to the rorq still when they finish.

I'll be honest I never would've considered vindi webbing but it makes sense hearing someone suggest it for the above reasons, but I'm not sure how it'll pan out in practice

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

working mom posted:

Because the main problem of the most recent changes is travel time, the drones are slow as gently caress and the rocks are getting increased in size dramatically so they could end their cycle on the other side and have to travel all the way back cutting profit by a dumb amount, however if you hold them relatively still with 90% webs they should be close to the rorq still when they finish.

I'll be honest I never would've considered vindi webbing but it makes sense hearing someone suggest it for the above reasons, but I'm not sure how it'll pan out in practice

drat I'd heard about the nerf to drone yield, but I hadn't read about asteroid size change.
I think I'm gonna let theory crafters have a go at it before I bring my vindi down from highsec.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Klyith posted:

lol why would ccp nerf-hammer a thing that makes them a poo poo ton of money? especially when they can rely on players to run that poo poo into the ground for them?

(with current buy-sell spreads you make under 200m on a plexed account, assuming you are starting with a 5m SP character and +5s)

Yea, I was trying to do the math on this.

Taking a trained pilot with +5 implants in Intel (max points) and Memory (remainder of points) only should get you 32 points and 26 points respectively with a total of 45 points total if you half the secondary.

45 points per minute
60 minutes in a hour
24 hours in a day
30 days per month
????

About 3.88 injectors per month.

So if you generate about 300 isk ± and one plex per lab rat, you would need about four accounts to do about a billion isk a month passively.

Correct?

With EvEmon, I calculated that a brand new character, with +5 for Intelligence and Memory only and 27/21 attributes, would take just under two months to get to 6mil skill points (shields only) and be ready to siphon.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RazNation posted:

Yea, I was trying to do the math on this.

Correct?
Correct. 2700 SP/hour with optimal skills and +5s, slightly under 2m sp per 30 day sub (1,944,000 to be precise). Which is 3.88 injectors.

Currently you make about 400m buying extractors from the market, filling them with skillgoo, and selling the injector.
400m * 3.88 times per month = 1.55 billion
-1.05 billion for the plex ~= 500m per month profit per account

So I was wrong in my earlier post saying 200m, not sure what I missed when doing the math too quickly.

RazNation posted:

With EvEmon, I calculated that a brand new character, with +5 for Intelligence and Memory only and 27/21 attributes, would take just under two months to get to 6mil skill points (shields only) and be ready to siphon.

Your investment with for each account is 2 plex plus 200m for the implants upfront. Two months boot up time, then 4+ months to make back the start-up cost, so you don't see any return for half a year.

And keep in mind that prices could change over those 6 months. For example, last month there was a promotion that gave everyone 2nd character training if they subbed with real money. Over time the expected value for SP should drop to an equal portion of a PLEX. I think due to the instant gratification factor, injectors will always be somewhat more in demand than a PLEX, but the profit from SP farming will continue to drop. And it will be very susceptible to PLEX swings.

It's the most passive income possible, you only have to log in once a month. But as you can see the money kinda terrible. AFAIK many of the people still running SP farms started doing low-maintenance PI and such to make it more worthwhile.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I have made a spreadsheet about injector farm.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AhLcfTW_IYjlnD6IWuf-_VWxEhuf

Change sp/hour to 2700 to simulate +5 implants.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 13, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I had an Ishkur lying around, and they rarely sell, so I figured I would use it for chasing reds in our space. Is there anything blatantly horrible with this fit (other than the fact that it's an Ishkur and I should probably just use a T3 destroyer)?

Ishkur, Home Defense posted:

[Ishkur, Home Defense]

Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Overdrive Injector System II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Disruptor
Small Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 25

150mm Railgun II, Javelin S
[Empty High slot]

Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Republic Fleet Warrior x5
Imperial Navy Acolyte x3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I had an Ishkur lying around, and they rarely sell, so I figured I would use it for chasing reds in our space. Is there anything blatantly horrible with this fit (other than the fact that it's an Ishkur and I should probably just use a T3 destroyer)?

I believe you're better off with an ancillary armor repper or a medium asb. It has poo poo for Shields and small asb are crap. If you could cram a masb onto it then you're talking. Also faction drones aren't really worth it unless you can't use t2 at all. Especially on something that will die in 1-2 volleys of a caracal or svipuls.

• Locked thread