Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
We do need to change the retirement age though.

Or just fund the cost involved somehow. Robots maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Raising the retirement age is a poo poo trick to pull on a working populace by a government that's already stopped funding the NZ Super and did its best to force everyone into private retirement schemes.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The thing is with more and more jobs disappearing to automation many economists around the world are thinking we need a UBI. One easy way to phase that in would be to start decreasing the age you receive national super. Fund it with a tax on robot ownership.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Woman I work with will be 64 in 2040 and she is pissed

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
We should be lowering it ffs

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How is this the real world

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I am embarrassed to admit:

1) I know the guy with glasses in the background
2) he's almost certainly the one who gave Winston that Pepe

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

The thing is with more and more jobs disappearing to automation many economists around the world are thinking we need a UBI. One easy way to phase that in would be to start decreasing the age you receive national super. Fund it with a tax on robot ownership.

The first part of UBI is the "universal" bit for a reason though.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Lol that guy is probably going to have a position in the next government.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I can't remember what he did in Helen's cabinet - I know he was foreign minister (after doing full-on Yellow Peril poo poo) but I can't seem to remember any scandals. Possibly in the same way a fish doesn't remember water.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He was a minister outside of cabinet. He was minister for foreign affairs and was by all accounts pretty effective in that role.
I do recall some scandals around him from both his time in Bolger's government and in Clark's but can't recall the details right now.
I think Clark downplayed Winston's transgressions as he was not in Cabinet so the Cabinet Manual didn't apply and as he wasn't a Labour MP she couldn't sanction him.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah he was really good in foreign affairs because he actually trusted the people who'd done the job for like 30 years to know what the gently caress they're doing, rather than micro managing like national party ministers seem so fond of doing. Winston can also be really loving charming when he puts his mind to it, or so I'm told.

Though I have a feeling he'd want to interfere a bit more with NZ's trade negotiations this time round if he gets that chair back.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He unironically has the best taxation platform ever presented in NZ.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I don't think 'steal the gold fillings from Chinese grandparents' is very sustainable

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
No, but the actual tax policy is and addresses wealth inequality better than anything else. Please keep yelling "but a bigot said it" to make sure no other party touches it and everyone not in the landed classes dies in the street.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

What is this tax policy and why is it so good?
Maybe if they wanted people to talk about their tax policy they should talk about themselves instead of dog-whistling about the yellow/brown/off-white peril.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The only good thing I can see in Winnie's tax policy, other than a nebulous 'narrow the income gap through 'fair' taxation' (fair tax is basically a dog whistle for flat tax at this point I feel), is the removal of GST on food. Canning GST on rates seems like a load of poo poo to me.

Also promising a tax evasion crackdown, which is fairly bog standard.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Water shortage in Auckland.

Start pissing in the shower boys

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Flat tax on financial transactions eliminates trust, offshoring, and other loopholes.

I have no interest in voting for nz first because they have literally nothing else to offer. It would be nice if another party took up the transaction based taxation idea.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Any good policies NZ First may have will get their day in the sun as part of a left led coalition regardless of if other parties take them up or not.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Flat tax on financial transactions eliminates trust, offshoring, and other loopholes.

I have no interest in voting for nz first because they have literally nothing else to offer. It would be nice if another party took up the transaction based taxation idea.

The greens have that. See tobin tax.

https://www.greens.org.nz/page/economic-policy

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I for one don't really mind Winnie's dog whistling as long as nobody else can hear it and he continues to ignore these parts of his platform whenever he actually gets in power. Would you prefer the racists actually vote for a racist?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Doing so legitimises these views in many people's minds. Just because he doesn't actively pursue such things when he is in power doesn't absolve him. He is still providing a rallying point for such views on society and he will not be there forever so such views can linger and grow until a new leader replaces him who will actively pursue these ideas as actual policy.
Remember NZ First has other MPs who can and will take that path when able.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I'm sure the guy using racism to gain more power isn't actually racist and definitely won't do racist things later if it lets him keep power.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oh cool!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

truther posted:

Start pissing in the shower boys

Like I ever stopped.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmachina posted:

I for one don't really mind Winnie's dog whistling as long as nobody else can hear it and he continues to ignore these parts of his platform whenever he actually gets in power. Would you prefer the racists actually vote for a racist?

https://twitter.com/Cavalorn/status/654934442549620736

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 10, 2017

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

exmachina posted:

I for one don't really mind Winnie's dog whistling as long as nobody else can hear it

Uh do you know what dog whistle means?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Slavvy posted:

Like I ever stopped.

I frequently water the lawn

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Hey I won't vote NZF. But I am perfectly fine with racists and scared old people giving him their vote. I also really want Winston in Parliament as he is willing to actually stand up to the govt. How many times has his questions been posted in this thread or the previous ones.

And just lol if you think that NZF has any future beyond Winston.

E: If you think about it without him it is perfectly possible that the loving Conservative party could have seats right now

exmachina fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 10, 2017

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hey now, they have that guy who worked as a mercenary for an oppressive foreign regime and now wants to tell us to be scared of foreigners.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hey now, they have that guy who worked as a mercenary for an oppressive foreign regime and now wants to tell us to be scared of foreigners.

And they also have fedoras as far as the eye can see. But I think my point still stands.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Nat MP Mark Mitchell was also a foreign fighter iirc

NZ First has Richard Prosser, who is a fascist

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

exmachina posted:

I'm sure you never have to worry about racism. Meanwhile, tonight a friend of mine was brought to tears just thinking about a racist incident she experienced years ago.

But hey, you doesn't affect you right? So lol winnie I guess.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm sure you never have to worry about racism. Meanwhile, tonight a friend of mine was brought to tears just thinking about a racist incident she experienced years ago.

But hey, you doesn't affect you right? So lol winnie I guess.

Yes I am a white male, thanks for saving me the trouble of explaining my privilege. But that doesn't mean that I am unaffected by racism, especially as a dirty miscegenanist. My point, however, is that racists can and will vote, and I would rather they voted for a 'fake racist' than a real one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

exmachina posted:

Yes I am a white male, thanks for saving me the trouble of explaining my privilege. But that doesn't mean that I am unaffected by racism, especially as a dirty miscegenanist. My point, however, is that racists can and will vote, and I would rather they voted for a 'fake racist' than a real one.

There's no loving difference in the long run.

If racists win, then racism can win. If racism can win, then real racism will sweep the loving board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

exmachina posted:

"fake racists" (whatever that means) build a platform for actual racists to stand on. I don't understand how you can spout this "oh they're harmless" nonsense when we live in the timeline where Trump is President of the United States of America.

• Locked thread