Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can the dock plastic scratch the tempered glass screen protector? Is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tender Bender posted:

Can the dock plastic scratch the tempered glass screen protector? Is that even possible?

The Mohs hardness scale says no.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Brickseek failed me, back to waiting forever.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
If anyones looking for a good case, this one I just got off the rack at EB Games at the Midnight Launch is real Nice. The spine is strong, the mesh inside is padded with foam, and it's pretty subtle.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mace Bacon posted:

If anyones looking for a good case, this one I just got off the rack at EB Games at the Midnight Launch is real Nice. The spine is strong, the mesh inside is padded with foam, and it's pretty subtle.

That's the one I have, it's nice but I wish it had a pocket for accessories instead of some of the eight dozen game pouches.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

I carpet bagged my way into that thread for Rusty. :thumbsup:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Just stop being cheap asses and order this case before they go 2 months out on orders:

https://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo-switch-cityslicker-case

Best quality you're gonna find.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The Mohs hardness scale says no.

So yes when you smash it in drukenly? Also isn't dust one of the hardest things out there? Screen protectors exist to take a hit, not because they can't be damaged.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

InFlames235 posted:

Just stop being cheap asses and order this case before they go 2 months out on orders:

I really don't know... I owned the Cityslicker for the 3DS, and it was really well made and all, but I never shook the fact that it was overkill. Also knew that a good chunk of the cost is going towards the full grain leather, which is purely cosmetic stuff I don't care to have on a video game case.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MysteriousStranger posted:

So yes when you smash it in drukenly? Also isn't dust one of the hardest things out there? Screen protectors exist to take a hit, not because they can't be damaged.

It's a lot easier to replace a screen protector

Dust isn't hard, but random pocket grit can be harder than glass. I've scratched a couple gorilla glass phones that way.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Then don't drink and Switch. Please play responsibly.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

InFlames235 posted:

Actually it's trash because it's not a hardcase.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if your cart slot stops reading games, repeatedly plugging in headphones can spark it back to life somehow since they seem to share the same failure prone part of the pcb.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

if your cart slot stops reading games, repeatedly plugging in headphones can spark it back to life somehow since they seem to share the same failure prone part of the pcb.

Relaying something you read or personal experience? Hopefully the former.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Real hurthling! posted:

If you go to the firetruck by the SS Anne, you can catch Pikablu.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Real hurthling! posted:

Prooooobably still a better idea to just RMA it asap

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I voted for Eddy because Rusty will respect my loyalty toward a family dog.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 Zelda Questions:

1) I'm early on... but I have run into a rock monster and a bunch of spider tank things. I avoided the tank walker things to get to the temple they were near... they seemed (as did the rock giant) to take no damage from my attacks. Are they just a " later" thing? Or was I not doing something right?

2) I found the 3 shrines easily enough... Stasis, Bomb and umm Magnet. I cannot find the 4th. Any help?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Feenix posted:

2 Zelda Questions:

1) I'm early on... but I have run into a rock monster and a bunch of spider tank things. I avoided the tank walker things to get to the temple they were near... they seemed (as did the rock giant) to take no damage from my attacks. Are they just a " later" thing? Or was I not doing something right?

2) I found the 3 shrines easily enough... Stasis, Bomb and umm Magnet. I cannot find the 4th. Any help?

2) The four shrines will form an "X" on the map, so look for the point you're missing from that X.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am really quite enjoying this hardware from a functional standpoint, to be honest. It's more comfortable to hold than a 3DS, the screen has great color gamut, it goes from asleep to gaming right where I left off in under three seconds, and the flexibility of how the controllers can be used is awesome.

For example, today I came home and went to bed and my arms were bagged from work, so I just propped the screen in my lap and used each joycon on either side with my arms flat. Worked great, and I think this will be wonderful for people with mobility issues. :3:

Running it with the Joycons attached to the sides makes me giggle and realize that it really is just an incredibly advanced Sega Game Gear. I think that anyone viewing it as a traditional TV console is going about things wrong, because it isn't. This is Nintendo recognizing that we're in what is probably the last standard console generation and reaching out for something new.

Still too early to see how things shake out long term, but as an incredibly jaded gamer I think it's pretty cool.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Actually it's trash because it's not a hardcase.

Where's the eyeroll emoji? Thing has enough internal padding and protection from the leather to protect for all levels of drops and smushing unless, maybe, you decide to sit on it with 350 lbs of goon weight

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Feenix posted:

2 Zelda Questions:

I've found a ton of "come back later" enemies. It's totally a valid tactic to run away and go around a lot of the time.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So I just bought the officially licensed HORI nintendo lan adapter, yet when I plugged it in all the ports (that all displayed getting power when plugged), the dongle didn't work and won't connect my internet. My home computer recognized it and even found drivers for it, but the official product isn't working when plugged in. I power cycled my router as well. Any ideas what the issues might be? I've tried several different ethernet cables and the ports on my router/modem.

This issue legit annoys me since I just loving bought an official product and it not working out of the box is weirdly un-nintendo.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

There's already tasty games now.

That pizza might have some bitter taste on it!

Is the $25 shovel knight worth it? Or is the $10 good enough?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So I just bought the officially licensed HORI nintendo lan adapter, yet when I plugged it in all the ports (that all displayed getting power when plugged), the dongle didn't work and won't connect my internet. My home computer recognized it and even found drivers for it, but the official product isn't working when plugged in. I power cycled my router as well. Any ideas what the issues might be? I've tried several different ethernet cables and the ports on my router/modem.

This issue legit annoys me since I just loving bought an official product and it not working out of the box is weirdly un-nintendo.

unjoin the wifi/delete and try searching again?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hey, my pouch showed up! Took a look at the shipping label and Amazon Japan had my address correct, so I have no idea why DHL thought the city half way across the county was the correct one. Their label has the right zip code but the wrong city. :tinfoil:

Realized I didn't pull over the flap to completely close it. :v:

This is good enough for me to toss in my bag. It's a loose to allow the the sticks to have free movement and not get stuck in one direction which is a-ok with me.

Edit: Oh hey, the opening at the bottom is far enough over that I could charge it in there if I wanted to! :haw:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 8, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

SK is a solid game. $25 version is a lot of value but I cannot bring myself to double dip, having it on a PS4 disk. The 10 dollars will scratch that itch if you're looking for more games for the switch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ChocNitty posted:

That pizza might have some bitter taste on it!

The $10 game is apparently just Specter of Torment as a standalone game; it's not even DLC really, since the $25 game is all content released so far (including Specter) as well as the upcoming King Knight stuff.

Idk if this is still the case, but the $25 game was 225MX on the Mexico eShop, which works out to $11-12 depending on your credit card's international transaction fee. Make a new user and Nintendo Account, say you live in Mexico, and buy it up. It seems identical to the US version of the game. It's probably the same files with no active region flags. Shows up as "purchased" in the US eShop, and can be played on any user account.

Supposedly, Yacht Club decided to charge less in Mexico to benefit the (Mexican) consumer. Doing this might take money out of their pockets, if you care about that. But this is the third time I've bought this game so

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 8, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

enojy posted:

The $10 game is apparently just Specter of Torment as a standalone game; it's not even DLC really, since the $25 game is all content released so far (including Specter) as well as the upcoming King Knight stuff.

Idk if this is still the case, but the $25 game was 225MX on the Mexico eShop, which works out to $11-12 depending on your credit card's international transaction fee. Make a new user and Nintendo Account, say you live in Mexico, and buy it up. It seems identical to the US version of the game. It's probably the same files with no active region flags. Shows up as "purchased" in the US eShop, and can be played on any user account.

Supposedly, Yacht Club decided to charge less in Mexico to benefit the (Mexican) consumer. Doing this might take money out of their pockets, if you care about that. But this is the third time I've bought this game so

lots of developers charge less over here because its an effective way to combat the rampant piracy in third world countries. it makes sense to charge less in less developed countries when unitary costs are basically zero

which makes it all the more egregious that nintendo decided to price the switch at four hundred and fifty loving dollars over here!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dust isn't a uniform thing, it's just random and very tiny debris in the air. It can be anything from tiny bits of sand (can scratch a phone screen) to bits of human skin.

You're right that screen protectors will eventually get damaged, but tempered glass will last you longer than plastic and are less of a pain in the rear end to apply. This is especially true given the design of the dock, as plastic can scuff a plastic protector so you're better off in the long just using a glass one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

That actually works out pretty well in AUD.

It's $13 here just for Spectre and $15 for the whole thing if you go the Mexican route.

Might do this later.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

incoherent posted:

unjoin the wifi/delete and try searching again?

Did not work, I even power cycled the switch. Port is working as well. Might just be a faulty component some other people had this issue.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

That actually works out pretty well in AUD.

It's $13 here just for Spectre and $15 for the whole thing if you go the Mexican route.

Might do this later.

Just did this. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is 500MXN, which is $33.

So no go. They either jacked the price or you got lucky.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whoops, sorry. Must've been a pricing error, or they realized people were taking advantage of it.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Also isn't dust one of the hardest things out there? Screen protectors exist to take a hit, not because they can't be damaged.

No, but household dust can have quartz in it and the quartz can scratch a hardened glass screen. So don't obsessively clean your phone or something. I dunno.

Switch screen is plastic so yeah put something over it. It doesn't matter how destroyed the screen protector gets. Its cheaper and easier to replace one of those than a Switch screen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

Don't start playing with the second DLC campaign. The play mechanics for the extra characters are all funky cause they're assuming you've played the base already.
Get the full one. It's totally worth it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 8, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

LAN adapter update, I went back to Wal-Mart and exchanged it, and the new one I plugged in worked immediately. So some of the official nintendo LAN adapters are clearly faulty, and if you know your usb ports are working and your cable and internet are working and done power cycles to everything, just go exchange the adapter because its probably faulty. If it doesn't work instantly, something is wrong with the adapter most likely.

Also, just found a pro controller, and its an incredibly nice controller. It's sort of insane how expensive joycons are once you factor in a lack of grip, and thus necessity of a charger or a 15 dollar plastic grip, putting a single controller at 95-110 usd. I think I'll just use the joycon in the console unless I want to do tablet hand held, pro controller is just better in every way.

Plus lol if I'm ever going to get enough people to come play this thing and need 8 joycon lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay okay I finally could not resist, and I licked my Zelda Switch cartridge. Couldn't taste anything. I might be immune to it?

Has anybody else licked the cart and come away unscathed?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Okay okay I finally could not resist, and I licked my Zelda Switch cartridge. Couldn't taste anything. I might be immune to it?

Has anybody else licked the cart and come away unscathed?

It means you're a "non-taster" apparently. I was pretty repulsed by the taste myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Am I the only one that likes the Wii-u tablet and ergonomics

• Locked thread