Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

enraged_camel posted:

I miss Miller's cop friend.

Havlock or Muss?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phi230 posted:

Prax, when the mirror fell

Wendell, his arms wide

Havlock and Millar at te aqua

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 7, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

HERAK posted:

If i remember the books correctly the Texan accent is actually something of an affectation even for Martians.

Yeah, I like Alex's 'close but just a tiny bit off' as a future-accent than have anyone do a super thick tryhard twang

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Havelock (Miller's rookie) was pretty important for connecting the dots between Ceres and Protogen.

Though when watching S1 the first time, I got convinced that Havelock was an agent of the conspiracy, because one of the mercs who attacked the Donnager seemed to have a biological modification to seal off injuries, and this was paired with Havelock waking up after being speared through the chest.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ATP_Power posted:

The actor who plays Dawes is loving perfect, and I'm so happy they're using him more in the show than in the books.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh gently caress, he was Lane Pryce? I didn't even realize it. Great god drat actor.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I haven't read the books but there's no way that proto-thing was totally destroyed crashing into Venus right? I imagine it takes the planet over or something after being scattered all over after the crash.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Phobophilia posted:

Havelock (Miller's rookie) was pretty important for connecting the dots between Ceres and Protogen.

Though when watching S1 the first time, I got convinced that Havelock was an agent of the conspiracy, because one of the mercs who attacked the Donnager seemed to have a biological modification to seal off injuries, and this was paired with Havelock waking up after being speared through the chest.

That only reseals the suit though, doesn't do much for the wound inside the suit, at least that's what it looked like to me.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 7, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

gohmak posted:

Havlock and Millar at te aqua

Diogo at Ceres, when the rear end was smashed to dust.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Barreft posted:

I haven't read the books but there's no way that proto-thing was totally destroyed crashing into Venus right? I imagine it takes the planet over or something after being scattered all over after the crash.

Not sure how to have a conversation about this without book spoilers. I will say that in-show we saw that protomolecule-as-Julie was unwilling to not crash into Earth because "the work" had to continue. She accepted crashing into Venus as an alternative, so presumably she thought that was not inconsistent with "the work."

It's not unreasonable to suspect that a thing that could accelerate with no g forces inside at the expenditure of huge amounts of energy, repurpose biological entities to make machines (and absorb their consciousnesses and memories for processing/understanding), and make a huge drat asteroid radar invisible might also be able to survive atmospheric entry.

The last episode had Avasarala's scientist ex-boyfriend trying to go to Venus, so I'd guess we'll see what the show is doing with that soon via a report to her.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

404notfound posted:

Oh gently caress, he was Lane Pryce? I didn't even realize it. Great god drat actor.

Jared Harris, son of the late Richard Harris, best known to people under 40 as "the first Dumbledore" and "Marcus Aurelius" from the first 20 minutes of Gladiator.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xealot posted:

Jared Harris, son of the late Richard Harris, best known to people under 40 as "the first Dumbledore" and "Marcus Aurelius" from the first 20 minutes of Gladiator.

Also singer of one the greatest lyrics ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY

"All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

counterfeitsaint posted:

Milla, I do this for you!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLkBIrmTLg

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Not sure how to have a conversation about this without book spoilers. I will say that in-show we saw that protomolecule-as-Julie was unwilling to not crash into Earth because "the work" had to continue. She accepted crashing into Venus as an alternative, so presumably she thought that was not inconsistent with "the work."

It's not unreasonable to suspect that a thing that could accelerate with no g forces inside at the expenditure of huge amounts of energy, repurpose biological entities to make machines (and absorb their consciousnesses and memories for processing/understanding), and make a huge drat asteroid radar invisible might also be able to survive atmospheric entry.

The last episode had Avasarala's scientist ex-boyfriend trying to go to Venus, so I'd guess we'll see what the show is doing with that soon via a report to her.

Yeah I expect it's hard to talk about some things, reminds me of early GOT readers vs viewers. It's hard to speculate on things when some people know what's going on.

I just see no way Venus was the end of that thing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well the thing that is proof of life beyond Earth, which is capable of breaking the laws of physics and has been the main focus of the show for a while now is probably not going to vanish in a puff of smoke. not much of a spoiler to say that we're not done with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The book’s description of the Eros/Venus collision is this:

quote:

Eros crashing into Venus was the most widely broadcast and recorded event in history. By the time the asteroid reached the sun's second planet, several hundred ships had taken up orbits there. Military vessels tried to keep the civilian ships away, but it was no use. They were just outnumbered. The video of Eros' descent was captured by military gun cameras, civilian ship telescopes, and the observatories on two planets and five moons.

Holden wished he could have been there to see it up close, but Eros had picked up speed after it had turned, almost as though the asteroid were impatient for the journey to end now that the destination was in sight. He and the crew sat in the galley of the Rocinante and watched it on the broadcast newsfeeds. Amos had dug up yet another bottle of faux tequila from somewhere and was liberally splashing it into coffee cups. Alex had them flying toward Tycho at a gentle one-third g. No need to hurry now.

It was all over but the fireworks.

Holden reached out, took Naomi's hand, and held it tightly as the asteroid entered Venus orbit and then seemed to stop. He felt like he could feel the entire human race holding their breath. No one knew what Eros - no, what Julie - would do now. No one had spoken to Miller after the last time Holden had, and he wasn't answering his hand terminal. No one knew for sure what had happened on the asteroid.

When the end came, it was beautiful.

In orbit around Venus, Eros came apart like a puzzle box. The giant asteroid split into a dozen chunks, stringing out around the equator of the planet in a long necklace. Then those dozen pieces split into a dozen more, and then a dozen after that, a glittering fractal seed cloud spreading out across the entire surface of the planet, disappearing into the thick cloud layer that usually hid Venus from view.

"Wow," Amos said, his voice almost reverent.

"That was gorgeous," Naomi said. "Vaguely unsettling, but gorgeous."

"They won't stay there forever," Holden said.

Alex tossed off the last of the tequila in his glass, then refilled it from the bottle.

"What d'ya mean, Cap?" he asked.

"Well, I'm just guessing. But I doubt the things that built the protomolecule just wanted to store it here. This was part of a bigger plan. We saved the Earth, Mars, the Belt. Question is, what happens now?"

Naomi and Alex exchanged glances. Amos pursed his lips. On-screen, Venus glittered as arcs of lightning danced all across the planet.

"Cap," Amos said. "You are seriously harshing my buzz."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CeeJee posted:

It was never really stated after the 'they are charging us' but you could see the UN guys running and shooting at whatever was chasing them.
I guessed that that was happening, but I couldn't see it.

Xealot posted:

So, how is it that anyone knows anything specific about what happened to Epstein? It seems like he died of a stroke and his ship went off in some random direction. I guess he kept really comprehensive notes about what he was working on.

I assumed the V.O. was from some speech he delivered or book he wrote, but clearly that is not the case since his corpse is traveling 0.05c somewhere beyond the Oort cloud.
Yeah, that narration was really weird and confusing. What's it supposed to be? He obviously couldn't have said it, and even if he had no one would have heard. It also gave those scenes a really weird tone, more adventure than tragedy.

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyway, thanks for clearing up everything about the ending. With all the cuts it was incredibly confusing as to what was going on, and was not super easy to tell one of the targets running wasn't a marine. So are we supposed to know who mars was shooting at in orbit? Was it mars vs earth in the sky, and random proto monster on the ground killing both sides?
Yeah, I didn't know until I read in this thread that it was actually an Earth ship (ships?) fighting the Mars one(s). Also had no idea what the mirror(s) were.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

9. Bobbie comes to, face plate is cracked and the chest of her armor scarred, but she's alive. She first sees the mystery recon drone from above, then the monster comes into frame. The drone, aimed more towards the monster than Bobbie, fires three pulses of light. IMMEDIATELY after that, a light appears on the monster's chest. It gets brighter and starts to spread. Cut to Bobbie, who is increasingly illuminated by the ET heart light in the monster. She rolls away and we get an impression of an explosion with smoke or maybe plasma implied.
Didn't see that either.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

counterfeitsaint posted:

Between this and the belter yo momma jokes, this is the best thread.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also singer of one the greatest lyrics ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY

"All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!"

Say what you will about that song, at least it got us this

https://youtu.be/gh4zvQfDhi0

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sasa, when the wellwallas fell.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 7, 2017

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

gohmak posted:

When the wellwallas fell.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I guessed that that was happening, but I couldn't see it.

Yeah, that narration was really weird and confusing. What's it supposed to be? He obviously couldn't have said it, and even if he had no one would have heard. It also gave those scenes a really weird tone, more adventure than tragedy.

Yeah, I didn't know until I read in this thread that it was actually an Earth ship (ships?) fighting the Mars one(s). Also had no idea what the mirror(s) were.

Didn't see that either.

I believe in the books there a line about how you can still grab a telescope and see Epstein sailing off into the universe at some small fraction of C.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I believe in the books there a line about how you can still grab a telescope and see Epstein sailing off into the universe at some small fraction of C.

"The first page of [i posted:

Leviathan Wakes[/i]"]
A hundred and fifty years before, when the parochial disagreements between Earth and Mars had been on the verge of war, the Belt had been a far horizon of tremendous mineral wealth beyond viable economic reach, and the outer planets had been beyond even the most unrealistic corporate dream. Then Solomon Epstein had built his little modified fusion drive, popped it on the back of his three-man yacht, and turned it on. With a good scope, you could still see his ship going at a marginal percentage of the speed of light, heading out into the big empty. The best, longest funeral in the history of mankind. Fortunately, he’d left the plans on his home computer. The Epstein Drive hadn’t given humanity the stars, but it had delivered the planets.

For the book thread, I calculated how good “a good scope” would have to be. If you had a perfect detector the diameter of the Moon, it would catch one photon from the ship every few months.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

For the book thread, I calculated how good “a good scope” would have to be. If you had a perfect detector the diameter of the Moon, it would catch one photon from the ship every few months.

Maybe they have really good scopes?

Assuming he did all of his acceleration in the first month or two, and has spent the 130+ years since then going at the same rate, that's several light years away. If it was possible to see something as small as a ship that far away, then they could easily make out and map the planets on Tau Ceti, and probably several other systems, and the mormons wouldn't have to wonder at all what's going to be there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems crazy that humans haven't sent out a bunch of probes to nearby systems with their magic not-quite-ftl drives. How long to get to Alpha Centauri with expanse tech? Ten years or so?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Meh, any good engineer would have put a timed limit to the burn, and or put a dead mans switch to cut it off with. Waverunners from our time have a dead man's switch. Still a good origin story though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The thing is hé was not expecting either such efficiency and power at all, not even close.
He was hoping for a few percent increase.

It was a total fluke, nothing more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

It seems crazy that humans haven't sent out a bunch of probes to nearby systems with their magic not-quite-ftl drives. How long to get to Alpha Centauri with expanse tech? Ten years or so?

Epstein expected his yacht to reach 5% c, so you fly by Alpha Centauri in under a hundred years.

A purpose‐built probe could do better, probably by a lot because you could massively downsize the engine and structure since you really don’t care it if takes two days or two years to accelerate to cruising speed.

If you wanted to slow down and get a good look, that would double the time it would otherwise take to get your data.

R-Type posted:

Meh, any good engineer would have put a timed limit to the burn, and or put a dead mans switch to cut it off with. Waverunners from our time have a dead man's switch. Still a good origin story though.

Epstein had no idea that that he had increased the drives thrust by a factor of ten and its efficiency by a factor of a thousand (or whatever the numbers actually are).

He thought he was giving the engine a gentle work‐up, but instead he was instantly pinned to his seat.

Compare to the human trials of the drug TGN1412. It turned out to be ridiculously more potent in humans than in our animal relatives. Researchers thought they were giving a conservative dose that would have no effects whatsoever, and it ended up being very nearly fatal for the participants.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
A small probe designed to withstand a ton of Gs could accelerate way faster than Epstien did. It's really a question of just how efficient the fuel is and how much you'd need to take. What seems weird to me is that we're on the verge of getting atmospheric data on nearby exoplanets now, in 200 years you'd think we'd know a lot more about nearby stars, even without sending probes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's kind of funny to think that during the age of exploration, we couldn't see what was out there but we could reach it, now we can see what's out there but we can't reach it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

R-Type posted:

He wouldn't have needed a dead man's switch if Siri had loving localised properly :colbert:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
She can't handle Scottish and you expect her to understand Belter?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was watching a clip of some japanese gameshow where they were testing people's english by trying to get them to say words to siri and it was so shameful when it couldn't understand. Except for the most part they were speaking incredibly clearly and the shame is entirely on siri being trash.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 8, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phanatic posted:

"Oi, Siri, kemang ese wellwalla, sabe?"
"I'm sorry, I have no information on common easy well water sobbing."

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baronjutter posted:

I was watching a clip of some japanese gameshow where they were testing people's english by trying to get them to say words to siri and it was so shameful when it couldn't understand. Except for the most part they were speaking incredibly clearly and the shame is entirely on siri being trash.

IPhone 8 will feature the Engrish keyboard.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

To be fair, wasn't Epstein Martian?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bitprophet posted:

To be fair, wasn't Epstein Martian?

Neckbeardian-Martian, now extinct

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If you wanted to slow down and get a good look, that would double the time it would otherwise take to get your data.

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

(would be quite a feat tho, if you're already traveling at a fraction of c)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evernoob posted:

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

Gravity acts per second, and the probe can only get so close before it cooks or is literally inside the star.

At 0.05 c, the probe’s course would hardly be changed at all.

• Locked thread