Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Two posts on previous page mentioning how the trailer spoiled an aspect of Logan. I stopped watching trailers (except when actually in the theatre and I can't avoid it) since the one for World War Z basically contained the entire movie and I haven't regretted it one bit since. I think it made a massive different to my enjoyment of Logan because I thought Patrick Stewart only had a cameo and I also had no idea what to expect of the girl. My hunch just before she first went to town on the goons was that she was going to be some sort of telepath.

Logan might not be the best "comic-book movie" but I'd argue its a better movie than nearly every other movie containing superheros.

Edit: New page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
eh it absolutely counts as a comic book movie. the tone isn't something new to comics even if it's new to comics movies.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is it ever explained how/where Wolverine gets his metal claws back after having them cut off in The Wolverine? Or is the answer "don't think about it so much"?

Not that it matters, Logan was a good film and is easily my favourite of the X-Men franchise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Logan isn't even explicitly in the same continuity as any of the other movies and I'm sure they'll take advantage of that to retcon it away in the future so whatever. Hell, they'll probably use it to introduce a new X-23 while they're at it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

Is it ever explained how/where Wolverine gets his metal claws back after having them cut off in The Wolverine? Or is the answer "don't think about it so much"?

Not that it matters, Logan was a good film and is easily my favourite of the X-Men franchise.

They never really explain it, and considering that was in the old timeline before Days of Future Past, probably never will. My personal head-canon is that Magneto gives him the metal claws back, since he appeared with Xavier at the end of The Wolverine, and was on good terms with the X-men in the Sentinel future.

SMP
May 5, 2009

If Fox was smart they'd just ditch their mainline continuity and do Logan sequels with Laura

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine wouldn't be all mopey about Jean anymore since she didn't die in the new timeline so a lot of what setup The Wolverine wouldn't have happened.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That is something the X-men movies have always driven me nuts about is the Logan/Jean thing, acting like its some tragic love story when its really just a one sided creeping.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Arist posted:

Logan isn't even explicitly in the same continuity as any of the other movies and I'm sure they'll take advantage of that to retcon it away in the future so whatever. Hell, they'll probably use it to introduce a new X-23 while they're at it.

They do reference the climax of the very first movie early on, but I don't think they mentioned anything else.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

That is something the X-men movies have always driven me nuts about is the Logan/Jean thing, acting like its some tragic love story when its really just a one sided creeping.

Isn't that pretty drat accurate to the comics?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The adamantium bullet could be a reference to origins

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Apocalypse shows how he escaped Weapon X this time so those events didn't happen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

Isn't that pretty drat accurate to the comics?

It's presented as one sided creepy in the comics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't it worse in the comics? She's just a teenager there, isn't she? Or is this one of those sliding timeline ambiguities?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Isn't it worse in the comics? She's just a teenager there, isn't she? Or is this one of those sliding timeline ambiguities?

You might be thinking of Ultimate X-Men where Jean was initially stated to be 13 or something ridiculously young and magically aged 2-3 years in the course of a few issues right before Wolverine slept with her. Still creepy but mostly age of consent-ish in most states.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

notthegoatseguy posted:

You might be thinking of Ultimate X-Men where Jean was initially stated to be 13 or something ridiculously young and magically aged 2-3 years in the course of a few issues right before Wolverine slept with her. Still creepy but mostly age of consent-ish in most states.

It's easy to forget how much of a dumpster fire 99% of the Ultimate universe was

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's easy to forget how much of a dumpster fire 99% of the Ultimate universe was

Yeah, it is really odd when Mark loving Millar is the best writer for Ultimate X-Men. And that includes writers who I like a lot more. Vaughan turned in a completely average/boring run, and Bendis pretty much used UXM to shoe-horn in Spidey and Daredevil.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

It wasn't entirely one sided. Xtinction Agenda put that to bed in the 80's (Or early 90's?).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/839108592447995907

:swoon:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

kaesarsosei posted:

Two posts on previous page mentioning how the trailer spoiled an aspect of Logan. I stopped watching trailers (except when actually in the theatre and I can't avoid it) since the one for World War Z basically contained the entire movie and I haven't regretted it one bit since. I think it made a massive different to my enjoyment of Logan because I thought Patrick Stewart only had a cameo and I also had no idea what to expect of the girl. My hunch just before she first went to town on the goons was that she was going to be some sort of telepath.

Logan might not be the best "comic-book movie" but I'd argue its a better movie than nearly every other movie containing superheros.

Edit: New page

Yeah I try to avoid trailers as much as I can. Logan caught me because of Hurt, and I regretted it. Though to be fair, I don't think anything in the movie was a surprise.

Star Wars I'm vigilant about avoiding trailers. Force Awakens was great because I read nothing of it, watched none of the trailers, etc. Rogue One as well, but again not much to spoil there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The best thing to come from the Ultimate universe is that the movies can feel free to lift only the good parts from it and leave the rest of the trash on the floor.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just got done with Logan. It is an astoundingly good movie. Cried twice.

Ultimate X-Men was good until Bendis, then average until Vaughn, then bad through Ultimatum, then good until the end of the first utopia arc, then really bad until the end.

Fake edit: I forget when kirkman run was.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
So what are some of the most highly regarded X Men runs? I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of these authors, so I don't really know who is considered the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Claremont's original mega run. Morrison New X-Men. Whedon Astonishing (and not everyone will agree on those two either.)

That's it. Ever.

There's good spinoffs though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaussian posted:

So what are some of the most highly regarded X Men runs? I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of these authors, so I don't really know who is considered the best.

The one with pretty much every famous X-Men storyline and character would be Claremont's, which is an insane amount of comics to read.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/chris-claremont-era-x-men-reading-order-guide/

I also rather like Brian K. Vaughn's Mystique.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

In what issue was she stated to be 13?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

In what issue was she stated to be 13?

It wasn't. Her and Cyclops were the oldest students and I'm pretty sure both were already out of high school.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It wasn't. Her and Cyclops were the oldest students and I'm pretty sure both were already out of high school.

Oh I know, I just want to know where this notion came from.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't Ultimate Wolverine actually try to sleep with Mary Jane while in Peter's body?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Didn't Ultimate Wolverine actually try to sleep with Mary Jane while in Peter's body?

Wolverine has never met a woman in any reality he hasn't tried to bed. Especially if they have red hair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Bendis left it up to the readers to decide what actually happened.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Claremont's original mega run. Morrison New X-Men. Whedon Astonishing (and not everyone will agree on those two either.)

That's it. Ever.

Lee/Kirby is always worth a look for new readers.

But yeah the spinoffs are where the quality is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's it. Ever.

Age of Apocalypse BRO

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The best X book is still probably X-Statix, and I'm kinda shocked that more of its ideas haven't been pillaged for a movie or tv project given how explicitly it's about media and celebrity

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gaussian posted:

Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men is good fun for at least the first dozen issues or so. Spider-Man and the X-Men, while only 6 issues, is one of the best comics of the past decade.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uncanny X-Force is great if you want more Wolverine and Deadpool. Makes me mad about how bad the movies did Archangel and Psylocke though. It'd be fun to see what the uninitiated think of characters like Fantomex and Deathlok.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Can I just say, the Lego Batman movie was so so so so good. For some reason the obligatory kids movie dance number at the end really gave me the warm fuzzies. I love the idea of the entire extended rogues gallery having a dance routine about how they're all best friends. I'm glad we have a Batman universe now where that's the way things are.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's it. Ever.

Whedon's Astonishing X-men was pretty awesome. If only his movies could have been too :(

Despite how good the reviews for Logan are, I'm probably not gonna see it, just because of how depressing it is. It's more or less damning Xavier as a fool for hoping humanity would coexist with humans, and that Magneto was right about us all along. Of course, personally hating Wolverine doesn't help much either. They may as well have renamed the first three X-men movies to Wolverine and friends, Co-starring Storm, feat. The X-men!

glitchwraith posted:

MoS was very much stand-alone. There where a few hints of a wider world, such as the Wayne satellite and LexCorp trucks, but they where ultimately just background dressing. Every scene supported the story currently being told. On the other hand, BvS took time away from getting into the plot vital third act to show three, awkwardly bunched scenes virtually identical to a stinger except not tucked away in the easily ignorable after credits space. Before that, we had a dream sequence to further explore Batman's motivations that suddenly gets invaded by parademons and the Flash in weird armor. Comic fans are now wondering why and how future Flash is entering Bruce's dreams. General audiences are sitting there scratching their heads. I'm all for laying groundwork for future films, but not if it gets in the way of the current movie.

You are talking about worldbuilding. I am talking about something else.

Consider the collateral damage in the fight in MoS. It left a bad taste in a lot of people because of how jarring and brutal it was (including lots of complaints about how unheroic superman is :rolleyes:) but it came up in BvS as a major plot point, and also continues the idea that Superman is a guy who can fly and punch stuff, he's not an all-knowing diety that can solve all the worlds problems like his comic counterpart.
It also draws some interesting comparisons to Pa Kent, in that Pa died trying to save a "lesser creature" just as Superman died saving us. Both movies also have heavy doses of Arthurian lore and imagery baked in to them, and ideas and themes from the dolorous stroke/Fisher king story are prevalent in both. Considering the sequel is all about gathering pure and valiant knights to fight a great evil and unite a kingdom I expect the Arthurian themes (with a heavy does of christian imagery) to continue in JL.

As for the dream...Batman is a violent warlord that rules over a blasted hellscape with what suspiciously looks like militarized police, when his rule is violently overthrown by aliens and fascist police under the command of Space Lucifer. He is captured, chained up (with two convicts on each side...hmmmm, have I seen that before? https://imgur.com/a/ZjlVa ) and is violently murdered.
In the real world Batman is a violent vigilante that rules the streets of Gotham, torturing and beating up its citizens, with the consent of the local police. He's opposed by Superman (who is rightly disturbed by not only what Batman is doing, but also the implicit support from the local police) and sees himself as a selfless messiah martyr figure, yet impotent and helpless against Superman. The aliens represents his xenophobia and fear of Supermans otherness.
It's clever in that it both works as a window into Bruce's mind, and as a foreshadowing to Him. The large omega in the dried out lake is not only signifying His coming, but also a symbol for the end of the world (which is after all why His symbol is the Omega. He represents the end of all things).

It's why I've said that Snyders greatest problem is that he packs so much information in his visuals that the viewers have a hard time parsing (See Sucker Punch for a good example of this).

McCloud fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 8, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Can I just say, the Lego Batman movie was so so so so good. For some reason the obligatory kids movie dance number at the end really gave me the warm fuzzies. I love the idea of the entire extended rogues gallery having a dance routine about how they're all best friends. I'm glad we have a Batman universe now where that's the way things are.

How was it for a six year old? Form what I can gather, it has a ton of in jokes that a small kid might not pick up on. I'm thinking about taking my son to see it but I'm worried he'll be bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FAT BATMAN posted:

I like that there is a universe where Batman wins simply by being a good guy and allowing himself to be happy.

McCloud posted:

It's why I've said that Snyders greatest problem is that he packs so much information in his visuals that the viewers have a hard time parsing (See Sucker Punch for a good example of this).

Why does every defense of MoS and/or BvS have to insist that something flew over your head?

• Locked thread