Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao only in 20 loving 17 would someone watch Netflix while on a vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Could you imagine a vacation where you had to talk to your spouse before bed instead of watching streaming media? Could you imagine somehow going a week or god forbid more than one week without having Netflix on a TV???? Netflix on a tablet while on vacation? What do I look like, some sort of pleb???????

I didn't fight in a war so I could sit somewhere without Netflix.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, instead you should zone out to local soaps on the hotel TV like a true adventurer!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got assistant on my one plus 3t. I'm less than fully whelmed.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

Is watching Netflix or Amazon on an unlimited t-mobile LTE line while on vacation considered realm of only the tech savvy?

I don't know, but why would you need video out for that?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally got assistant on my one plus 3t. I'm less than fully whelmed.

Same on my 6P. Looks like they finally pushed the assistant upgrade to the eligible devices. Also, the monthly security patch.

Now if only I had any smart home devices at all. Or a reason to use the Google Payment structure beyond app purchases.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Endless Mike posted:

Not really sure why you need a toolkit for something that requires like three commands in a terminal.
To make it easy for people who have no business rooting their phones. (Which is probably everyone now.)

baka kaba posted:

Dunno if it'll help, but I had to add a nearby location manually because 'Home' was really unreliable. That was ages ago so maybe it's ok now, but I can't be bothered changing it to see
It's weird because it was working perfectly for over a year and then just recently started staying unlocked everywhere about a month or two ago.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

To make it easy for people who have no business rooting their phones. (Which is probably everyone now.)

Lol even so, they're still gonna do it and they're still gonna post in the wrong loving thread for help when they gently caress something up.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So WugFresh finally got his Pixel today, so with any luck we'll be seeing a "Pixel Root Toolkit" soon-ish.

https://twitter.com/WugFresh/status/839164255190597632

GUYZ! Google messed up! Pixel plus one equals don't buy one!!1 :jiggled:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

I don't know, but why would you need video out for that?

Because some people prefer watching something on a TV rather than holding or propping up a 6" device for two people to see.

CLAM DOWN posted:

TVs never existed in hotel rooms until 2017. Until 2017, the older retired crowd never spent time in their hotel except to change or grab a quick shower. TVs were also never a thing in camper trailers until 2017 either

*Hotels advertising having cable TV and premium channels since the dawn of time*
*Portable DVD players have existed for years*
*Netflix and Amazon provide offline playback*
*T-Mobile throwing out unlimited data plans with reckless abandon*
Goons: :lol: no one watches media while away from their home

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 8, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

Because some people prefer watching something on a TV rather than holding or propping up a 6" device for two people to see.
I get that, but you took forever getting to the point of why you wanted the android thread to indulge your edge case (which you want to thrust upon your parents, which is always a bad idea)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

I get that, but you took forever getting to the point of why you wanted the android thread to indulge your edge case (which you want to thrust upon your parents, which is always a bad idea)

Sorry I thought asking if any devices had video out capability was a straight forward ask. I thought this as a thread for asking about Android phones and features but use case justifications.

Yes. My edge case. Not like my parents asked about it. Because non tech savvy people don't know to use Netflix and certainly never want to watch something on a bigger screen.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 8, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhyteRyce posted:

Sorry I thought asking if any devices had video out capability was a straight forward ask. I thought this as a thread for asking about Android phones and features but use case justifications.

Yes. My edge case. Not like my parents asked about it. Because non tech savvy people don't know to use Netflix and certainly never want to watch something on a bigger screen.

Chromecast.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

So ~800 bucks magically reappeared in my bank account. Called Google to see if my Pixel order was canceled for some reason. It's not canceled, but the initial girl I spoke with couldn't pull up the order with the number I gave her from my confirmation email. She put me on hold and had to consult someone in shipping/refunds and confirmed that my order is still pending and that my phone should ship on around March 30th (but it could be sooner!).

I still think it's pretty big bullshit that Google isn't more transparent about how long it takes to actually ship or, more importantly, what the stock is actually like and why I won't get this thing for over a month after ordering.

Not to get back into BankChat, but now I have no idea when this 800 bucks is going to vanish back out of my account. Y'all were right. I should stop using debit for large purchases.

It was called a Credit hold. When you put in the order, they do a credit hold on your account with whatever payment method you chose to make sure that you actually have that much to spend and that it doesn't get blocked. Once they verify that it gets refunded and it's up to you to have the money in the account by the time that it does finally ship.

Pretty standard procedure for anything thats reasonably expensive that you Pre-Order.

Also I have a friend that travels for work, and lugs around a PS3 and Logitech G25 so he can do race league races at hotels he stays at. He has gotten quite good. Now with almost all hotels at least having a TV with HDMI, plugging in a Laptop or Chromecast/FireStick/Whatever really is easy and a much better way to enjoy the TV than usually whatever the hotel offers.

The one thing about Chromecast that irks me, is how come Google doesn't let you control it from a device that you setup the Chromecast to tether from. You have to have 2 devices so you can tether off one, and control it from another which is stupid. Google has a lot of weird handling of Cell Data both like this and the stupid Play Store doing gently caress all when you try to setup and restore a device on Cellular. It used to work somewhat, now when I try, you just cant. I have Unlimited Data Google just use it! :argh:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Chromecast.

Unfortunately, hotel Netflix is not a solved issue.

Chromecast is the right way to go for video out but setting it up in a hotel room can be difficult. It assumes that the user can access the TV input panel, the TV has an HDMI input, and that there's an accessible power outlet for the Chromecast. Sure, some TVs can provide USB power but it's usually not enough.

And because most hotel wifi networks have a captive portal which the Chromecast cannot bypass, this method also assumes that the user can activate a wifi hotspot on the phone and that the phone plan includes hotspot data.

edit:

EdEddnEddy posted:

The one thing about Chromecast that irks me, is how come Google doesn't let you control it from a device that you setup the Chromecast to tether from. You have to have 2 devices so you can tether off one, and control it from another which is stupid. Google has a lot of weird handling of Cell Data both like this and the stupid Play Store doing gently caress all when you try to setup and restore a device on Cellular. It used to work somewhat, now when I try, you just cant. I have Unlimited Data Google just use it! :argh:

LOL wut. Never knew this. Why gently caress everything up, Google?

nimper fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 8, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, video out isn't a common thing anymore on phones. In theory it could make a comeback with USB C, but so far it hasn't.

If you are worried about captive portals, get a cheap FireTV Stick or Roku Stick. If you want to use your phone's internet, tether.

If either of those don't work for you, you have a very slim field of devices to choose from.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

No, video out isn't a common thing anymore on phones. In theory it could make a comeback with USB C, but so far it hasn't.

If you are worried about captive portals, get a cheap FireTV Stick or Roku Stick. If you want to use your phone's internet, tether.

If either of those don't work for you, you have a very slim field of devices to choose from.

Yep. They have wifi hotspot on their phones and 10GB is more than plenty so I'm just going to suggest using a decent sized cheap Fire tablet for this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Unfortunately, hotel Netflix is not a solved issue.

Chromecast is the right way to go for video out but setting it up in a hotel room can be difficult. It assumes that the user can access the TV input panel, the TV has an HDMI input, and that there's an accessible power outlet for the Chromecast. Sure, some TVs can provide USB power but it's usually not enough.

And because most hotel wifi networks have a captive portal which the Chromecast cannot bypass, this method also assumes that the user can activate a wifi hotspot on the phone and that the phone plan includes hotspot data.

edit:

LOL wut. Never knew this. Why gently caress everything up, Google?

Chromecast can and will supply its own wifi connection but I'm not sure if the phone is able to stream via data while streaming to the Chromecast. I'll check on it this afternoon after work and report back, but no fix for the lack of ports or access to same. Most hotels I've stayed in over the past few years (note: not many, mainly stay at the Royal Pacific near Universal and the Animal Kingdom at Disney, both in Orlando, though I've stayed at the odd Hyatt/Marriott/Holiday Inn Express here and there) have an HD flat panel with reasonable access to ports on either the side or back. I won't go so far as to say I'll assume all hotels are like that but for the most part the typical hotel room television is going to be a Samsung 36in-42in flat panel with either 720 or 1080p. Maybe Vizio these days since they're getting bigger in the bargain segment. Hotel wifi is going to be universally poo poo though. I've never had decent hotel wifi but then again I normally don't have time or will to watch Netflix on travel.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Christ. My dad had a prosthetic leg from the knee down and sometimes, when we were on vacation, it would hurt bad enough or he'd have phantom pains bad enough that he couldn't quite muster the strength to even get down to the pool if it wasn't literally right there. Who gives a poo poo if someone wants to pick a TV show they watch while in the room.

On the topic of Google's messaging clusterfuck, is there a reason I can't find a messaging app that'll expand in-line links like iOS does?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yeah, it's ~possible~ to use a Chromecast in a hotel room but most people other than supreme nerdlords don't have time to hassle with it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Christ. My dad had a prosthetic leg from the knee down and sometimes, when we were on vacation, it would hurt bad enough or he'd have phantom pains bad enough that he couldn't quite muster the strength to even get down to the pool if it wasn't literally right there. Who gives a poo poo if someone wants to pick a TV show they watch while in the room.

On the topic of Google's messaging clusterfuck, is there a reason I can't find a messaging app that'll expand in-line links like iOS does?

Like show image links without clicking them? The Verizon messages+ app does it

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Like show image links without clicking them? The Verizon messages+ app does it

Sorta. In iOS, if you send a YouTube link, it'll embed the video right in the message and you can play it without leaving the conversation; if you send a website link, it'll show a picture from the link, the headline in bold, then the site underneath it; linked Tweets will just appear to be Tweets, including media. That sort of thing. The VZ Messages app sucks butt, unfortunately, though that sounds like it's sorta what I'm looking for.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Oh bugger me. My Nexus 6 still hasn't received an update beyond 7.0. Any way of forcing an update short of a factory reset?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You could opt for a Shield TV (Pro), load up the #GB MicroSD/500GB HDD with movies/Netflix watch offline content/etc and just plug that thing in anywhere you go with HDMI and Power.

A bit overkill sure, but the thing is a media content powerhouse.

I have been on a similar quest for something easy enough for my parents to use that is also reliable and consistent and updates/changes to any platform require reteaching the whole process every few months or something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
PXL 7.1.2 beta. Is it correct to be on the january security patch level?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

At the very least you should be on February on the Pixel, March is rolling out now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Why not just go official? March's security update dropped this week.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

cage-free egghead posted:

Why not just go official? March's security update dropped this week.
Is 7.1.2 official? I dont really feel like re-doing all my phone stuff again.

e: Nope. Just 7.1.1 march. I'll wait for the official 7.1.2 release.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 8, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Only Android users would get the best phone with most prompt updates, then proceed to install a beta OS on it where you don't get the prompt updates :lol:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Only Android users would get the best phone with most prompt updates, then proceed to install a beta OS on it where you don't get the prompt updates :lol:
In my case I went to the beta specifically for the BT improvements. Which, granted, have been good/improved but still isn't perfect.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

WhyteRyce posted:

TVs never existed in hotel rooms until 2017. Until 2017, the older retired crowd never spent time in their hotel except to change or grab a quick shower. TVs were also never a thing in camper trailers until 2017 either

*Hotels advertising having cable TV and premium channels since the dawn of time*
*Portable DVD players have existed for years*
*Netflix and Amazon provide offline playback*
*T-Mobile throwing out unlimited data plans with reckless abandon*
Goons: :lol: no one watches media while away from their home

Your best bet is probably an iPad w/ the HDMI Lightning dongle. This would check all the boxes I think.
Android's tablet game is week as gently caress, and as mentioned doesn't really do hdmi out (that i've seen). You either get an android on stick/tv set top box, or you get a phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

LastInLine posted:

Could you imagine a vacation where you had to talk to your spouse before bed instead of watching streaming media? Could you imagine somehow going a week or god forbid more than one week without having Netflix on a TV???? Netflix on a tablet while on vacation? What do I look like, some sort of pleb???????

I didn't fight in a war so I could sit somewhere without Netflix.

I love it when people demonstrate their complete gooniness to call out other goons.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If there's one thing that has helped my life in more ways than one it's been taking the advice of internet forum users in modern technology threads!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ShoogaSlim posted:

So ~800 bucks magically reappeared in my bank account. Called Google to see if my Pixel order was canceled for some reason. It's not canceled, but the initial girl I spoke with couldn't pull up the order with the number I gave her from my confirmation email. She put me on hold and had to consult someone in shipping/refunds and confirmed that my order is still pending and that my phone should ship on around March 30th (but it could be sooner!).

This prompted me to contact Google. My wife's Pixel XL won't be here until April 4th-6th. Was yours an XL? I'm pretty sure I remember telling you that I ordered mine 2 weeks before you.

Anyway, my real point in posting was to share this delightful chat exchange with Gary G on the Google Store chat:

quote:

Gary G2:23 PM
Even I am waiting for my order to get delivered. I am very much excited with the features on Pixel phones.
Gary G2:24 PM
You did an absolutely fantastic job by ordering the Pixel XL phone. You'll certainly have a great experience with it.

Thanks Gary G!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I too have never watched a single second of TV while on vacation.

Seriously though, iPad + hdmi lightning dongle seems like a good recommendation. The 10gb on the hotspot might go pretty quick though depending on how much non-goon approved vacationing they do.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Finally pulling out of Samsung after years of "this one will be better." Every one that I have owned has been awful in one way or another. Waiting for my Pixel XL. I hope I made the right choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Finally pulling out of Samsung after years of "this one will be better." Every one that I have owned has been awful in one way or another. Waiting for my Pixel XL. I hope I made the right choice.

I, too, take years to finally realize something is bad.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bandire posted:

I too have never watched a single second of TV while on vacation.

Seriously though, iPad + hdmi lightning dongle seems like a good recommendation. The 10gb on the hotspot might go pretty quick though depending on how much non-goon approved vacationing they do.

Yeah looks like it. There are some old Android and Fire models that have it but eh on that. It's 10GB per line and they have 3 now thanks to T-Mobile making it rain with free unlimited lines. 30GB combined is more than plenty

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Those of you with Assistant should definitely try telling it, "What's my day look like"

That's probably the coolest thing I've seen so far from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those of you with Assistant should definitely try telling it, "What's my day look like"

That's probably the coolest thing I've seen so far from it.

I do this every morning with my google home, its pretty nice. Now if it could read from multiple calendars...