Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That said, they still take food donations because that's the only way to make a lot of people donate anything at all. (Even if what they're donating is mostly cheap garbage or ancient cans of soup/vegetables)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

- Credit card appicants who don't realize you have to pay it back
I still don't loving get this one. For the rest, I can come up with some reason that's not logical but still humanly understandable. But this one... WHAT the gently caress do you think it is? Magic money?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Suspicious Lump posted:

I still don't loving get this one. For the rest, I can come up with some reason that's not logical but still humanly understandable. But this one... WHAT the gently caress do you think it is? Magic money?

Yes. They think that they've got... whatever, $4,000, in free money, and you only have to pay $50 a month for the privilege.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Our wedding was beautiful and thrifty! We saved money by making the horses' tuxedos out of burlap.

Haifisch posted:

Thriftiness tip: Recycle your old horses into the wedding dinner, and turn their hides into the tux and dress.

lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

My wife and I just went to the courthouse, but we held a traditional ceremony for our horses since human law doesn't apply to them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

That's how most of them view it. "Hey free money time to spend it all." You can have it all so long as you can make the payments. The only exception is the occasional person that wins $500 free credit at Best Buy and is misled into believing that it's a $500 gift card.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

My wife and I just went to the courthouse, but we held a traditional ceremony for our horses since human law doesn't apply to them.

"You see, bird law in this country..."

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Motronic posted:

I wasn't suggesting that I was "playing hardball" or thought I had to "negotiate" for them to follow the fair credit reporting act. This was an illustration of how not horrible the process can be, and has been in my experience. Multiple times. In response to a post saying how fairness and transparency couldn't be a component of a successful dealership model.

I in fact do not "need" to finance a 4 year old car. I make enough total compensation that it is literally cheaper for me to pay interest rather than realize any more capital gains this year. It's March and my total tax bill is already drat near 6 figures. I literally handed them a check for like $20k, which didn't require me to even move funds around, and told them to put the other $30k into financing if they could give me under 2.25% and they gladly did.

Is that smug enough for you?

GWM is knowing that even though you can write a check for an $85,000 vehicle, as well as properly afford one, you find one that someone already ate nearly 1/2 of the depreciation on, looks new, is still under warranty and then ask your CPA how best to pay for it in your particular financial situation.

How is a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo a four year old car? Does your inability to calculate the age a car cross over to the rest of your income/financial claims? Gonna go ahead and just call bullshit on the rest of the poo poo you just posted.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Eldred posted:

Why? You can get below 3 APR on auto loans (in the US at least) and invest that cash instead as long as you can handle the risk.

I wonder what % of people that claim they do this actually have the cost of the car sitting in an account invested? I'm gonna go with something like 0-2%

This is just bullshit people say that want to buy a car they can't really pay cash for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Buying cars is just a bizarre experience. I wanted to buy my Subaru straight cash, but they lowered the price $500 to finance at 0% through some credit union they're surely in bed with.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

n8r posted:

How is a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo a four year old car? Does your inability to calculate the age a car cross over to the rest of your income/financial claims? Gonna go ahead and just call bullshit on the rest of the poo poo you just posted.

Who mentioned a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

Who mentioned a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo?

His post history from a week ago.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703897&userid=157586#post469754636

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Buying a Turbo if you can afford is pretty much GWM by definition.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Turn left thread noooooo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Too late, it's time for

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm not trying to start car talk. I'm just wondering how a 2004 Porsche is a 4 year old car.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How much should I budget for my car and horse's wedding

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How much should I budget for my car and horse's wedding
The wedding is free but the bullet and explosives will cost you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you having a stroke? I don't think I understand.

Your previous post seemed to be saying thay public education was the same as having a free daycare profram for your kids, however it does not and is not intended to meet the needs that working parents have to pay hundreds of dollars per month to cover so they can go to work.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

therobit posted:

Your previous post seemed to be saying thay public education was the same as having a free daycare profram for your kids, however it does not and is not intended to meet the needs that working parents have to pay hundreds of dollars per month to cover so they can go to work.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't they already? Schools all have reduced or free lunch programs. Although I'm not sure if that's even your property taxes in action, since I think federal funds are related to Title 1 schools.

The problem then is what those kids eat during weekends, holidays, and during the summer. There are some private programs that give needy kids backpacks full of food every Friday afternoon, but I've never seen anything official from schools.
I'm reading this as "public schools usually provide cheap or free food to students in need, although it'd be nice if they were expanded to help keep kids fed during non-school days", which makes sense since they were replying to posts about free breakfast/lunch programs.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

n8r posted:

I'm not trying to start car talk. I'm just wondering how a 2004 Porsche is a 4 year old car.

I dunno, maybe he's talking about a different car in this thread, you crazy forum stalker.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

just lol if you don't extensively research posting history every time you read a thread

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I got distracted and skipped a bunch of posts, Krispy Kareem. Sorry, my bad. I thought you were responding to a post about offering childcare for single parents.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

n8r posted:

I wonder what % of people that claim they do this actually have the cost of the car sitting in an account invested? I'm gonna go with something like 0-2%

This is just bullshit people say that want to buy a car they can't really pay cash for.

Just pay cash. Oh god I lost 2% of my car over a couple years!!!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

I dunno, maybe he's talking about a different car in this thread, you crazy forum stalker.

Thesaurus posted:

just lol if you don't extensively research posting history every time you read a thread

Eh, I feel like both of them are AI regulars. That's why car chat gets derailed so quick in this thread. There are a lot of goons in BFC that have money and like cars. AI is a gold mine of BWM; awesome machines do weird things to peoples brains sometimes, myself included.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Barry posted:

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

Interesting take on the income levels one would need in various different locations/situations to have a living wage. Not particularly BWM but helps put some of those "I make $750k/yr in the Bay Area and can't make ends meet" stories a bit more into perspective.

You mean it puts those stories into perspective by pointing out they're as stupid as everyone thought, right? Santa Clara, CA Required annual income before taxes for a single adult is $30,194, and yes some of the typical annual salaries listed on that page are less, but it's not saying you'd struggle on $750K. San Francisco is much the same. Am I missing something?

The site does neglect to say what the average cost of living is for having most of your meals delivered to your apartment :v:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Twerk from Home posted:

This is soul crushing. No one should have to be this squeezed in a first world country. It looks like they're a single bad break away from homelessness.

And for the US, it's totally normal. :patriot:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dustoph posted:

Eh, I feel like both of them are AI regulars. That's why car chat gets derailed so quick in this thread. There are a lot of goons in BFC that have money and like cars. AI is a gold mine of BWM; awesome machines do weird things to peoples brains sometimes, myself included.

You're correct, they both are. As am I. *drives off in leaky subaru*

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Have we really not talked about this guy?

quote:

(CNN)Mark Barnett had what he thought was a great get-rich-quick scheme involving homemade bombs, Target superstores, and well-timed trades on the stock market.

Barnett, a 48-year-old from Ocala, Florida, is accused of possession of a destructive device affecting commerce, the US Attorney's Office in the Middle District of Florida said in a statement Thursday.

Barnett allegedly built 10 explosive devices and disguised them as food-item boxes, and he delivered those boxes to an unnamed person to place them in Target stores along the East Coast, according to a federal criminal complaint.

The plan, Barnett told that person, was to set off the bombs in Target stores in Florida, Virginia, and New York, sending the company's stock value down. Barnett would then buy Target stock cheaply, and sit and wait as the stock rebounded, which he referred to as "easy money," according to the criminal complaint.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/17/us/target-bomb-arrest/

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Economic terrorism is Bernstein's little known Fifth Pillar of Investing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Buttcoin purse posted:

You mean it puts those stories into perspective by pointing out they're as stupid as everyone thought, right? Santa Clara, CA Required annual income before taxes for a single adult is $30,194, and yes some of the typical annual salaries listed on that page are less, but it's not saying you'd struggle on $750K. San Francisco is much the same. Am I missing something?

The site does neglect to say what the average cost of living is for having most of your meals delivered to your apartment :v:

The numbers seem to be off in urban areas. It seems like they're averaging some places which perhaps shouldn't be averaged. Here's the numbers for New York - Jersey City - Newark, which is a pretty strange set of 3 cities to lump together.

Here's what you'll find on Craigslist for apartments in NYC. You're not finding a 1br apartment in the NYC metro area for $1000. You're just not. Start at $1600 for the bare minimum of an 'apartment' and rapidly work your way up in price.

The childcare costs are hilariously low too; You're not getting a good daycare in NYC $800/mo. I'm paying more than that for each of my kids and they're not particularly close to NYC either.

Basically, if you're OK with living over an hour away from NYC, these prices start to approach reality, but I can tell you from experience that this is seriously lowballing things.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Dustoph posted:

Me too. I am kind of GWM mostly, just don't look in my garage.

At least I own my toys outright, I guess?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

CannonFodder posted:

My local supermarket will do a thing where paper bags with a variety of stuff (canned tuna, can veggies, fruit cups, pasta and sauce) by the register so I can grab one and feel like I helped somebody. The bags go to the food bank. Is this not optimal?

Literally the only reason that food banks accept canned goods donations is because of people with weird puritanical hangups about handing cash over to a charity. Compared to cash, canned goods:

- Are likely less fresh than the stuff they would buy in bulk.
- Are more expensive to transport than cash.
- Is a less efficient use of the donator's money than if they had just donated cash.
- Has more wasteful packaging than food bought in bulk.

Of course, any place that has the "prepackaged" donations ready to go is perfectly happy to reinforce the puritanical awkwardness and facilitate the sub-optimal donation. This is because when you give the food bank cash and they buy in bulk, the local grocers don't get a cut. When you buy groceries and donate them, that's another sale for the grocer. Of course they'll help you donate "non-perishable food items". Give cash. It'll help more people, it's more environmentally sound, and it is the optimal way to help people who are getting economically hosed to the point where they can't put food on the table. :tmyk:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Volmarias posted:

The numbers seem to be off in urban areas. It seems like they're averaging some places which perhaps shouldn't be averaged. Here's the numbers for New York - Jersey City - Newark, which is a pretty strange set of 3 cities to lump together.

Here's what you'll find on Craigslist for apartments in NYC. You're not finding a 1br apartment in the NYC metro area for $1000. You're just not. Start at $1600 for the bare minimum of an 'apartment' and rapidly work your way up in price.

The childcare costs are hilariously low too; You're not getting a good daycare in NYC $800/mo. I'm paying more than that for each of my kids and they're not particularly close to NYC either.

Basically, if you're OK with living over an hour away from NYC, these prices start to approach reality, but I can tell you from experience that this is seriously lowballing things.

New York-Jersey City-Newark is the NYC metro area as defined by the OMB. I gather from your post that you're using "NYC metro area" to refer to a much smaller geographic area. There are plenty of areas within the metro area, and even NYC itself (think Melrose, Morris Heights, Hunts Point) where the median 1BR rent is $300-$400 below the $1,600 bate minimum you assert. These probably aren't apartments you're gonna ever see on Craigslist though.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, even in my area of WI it says childcare runs $680 a month which seems ridiculous to me so I'd be interested to see their dataset.

But to be honest, I've seen people around here offering to watch kids for $3 an hour on Facebook. They are not people you should leave your children with, but someone must be desperate enough to have to do it.

I think rather than the data being wrong, we're probably just privileged enough that we don't even hear about Barbara's sister's cousin who watches kids for $100 a week.

And I would guess they are not using an average cost, but something closer to a minimum cost.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Give cash. It'll help more people, it's more environmentally sound, and it is the optimal way to help people who are getting economically hosed to the point where they can't put food on the table. :tmyk:

And much like any time you hand over cash, be sure to research what you are getting for your money. BWM: Donating to my local Goodwill http://dataomaha.com/media/news/2016/goodwill/

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

And much like any time you hand over cash, be sure to research what you are getting for your money. BWM: Donating to my local Goodwill http://dataomaha.com/media/news/2016/goodwill/

I like when for-profits ask people to "volunteer" for them, like Color Run. They advertise the hell out of their races, charge a lot of money per head, and then get a bunch of people to do most of the actual legwork for free. GWM!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Those look like the areas the BLS uses for data. The generally run on counties and aggregate metro areas. Its probably that way because it's how the source data is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Idiot didn't even think to short before setting the bombs off

Tomfoolery posted:

I like when for-profits ask people to "volunteer" for them, like Color Run. They advertise the hell out of their races, charge a lot of money per head, and then get a bunch of people to do most of the actual legwork for free. GWM!

An ex of mine dragged me to one of these. She paid for me ahead of time and my jaw hit the floor when I learned that I'd be spending $50 to run a 5k

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

• Locked thread