Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Ultima66 posted:

PSA: GGG changed how all rounding works. It now actually rounds instead of truncating.

What does this mean? Dying Sun now gives 3 extra projectiles with 25% flask effectiveness instead of requiring 50%. This means you will now be able to get +3 projectiles as non-Pathfinders by taking Alchemist. Also, you no longer need 40% aura effectiveness to get Purity of Fire to +7% max resist for RF builds. It only requires lvl 23 PoF and 30% aura effectiveness, much easier to obtain. Also, elemental flasks now give 8% max res with just Alchemist cluster, rather than 7% from before.

I'm still only getting 4 megazombies with Trangoul's and Bones of Ullr tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

JawnV6 posted:

Oh god, there's something horribly wrong there.

and that is? I literally started playing when this league started.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

LeninVS posted:

I cannot complete the lab because 1 in 8 loadscreens freezes the game. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Launch_options

Try adding some of those to your shortcut, namely --nopreload and --noasync

Those commands help a lot if you're running it on a lovely computer or on a HDD.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

and that is? I literally started playing when this league started.

this game has a single pay2win part

and that part is a currency tab

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

public tabs for trading are also pretty p2w

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I started in breach league and I caved on this when I literally had an entire tab with no empty spots filled with currency.

Which also reminds me, on my first character I had an exalted orb drop mid cruel or something. Having no idea what it was worth, I just slapped it on a random mediocre level ~50 gear item with just a few mods, then immediately vendored the result when it didn't give me anything useful. Related, spending chaos orbs on random leveling gear like candy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

They give any hint on how long this downtime is going to be?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's back up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

animatorZed posted:

I started in breach league and I caved on this when I literally had an entire tab with no empty spots filled with currency.

Which also reminds me, on my first character I had an exalted orb drop mid cruel or something. Having no idea what it was worth, I just slapped it on a random mediocre level ~50 gear item with just a few mods, then immediately vendored the result when it didn't give me anything useful. Related, spending chaos orbs on random leveling gear like candy.

I tried looking for this earlier, but there was a video of somebody who got a Mirror drop on The Coast...and used it on a white wand

It was a well-known streamer during closed beta when they were about to do a wipe anyway

I also first typed out "white wang" and considered leaving it like that

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

animatorZed posted:

that's the fun part of ssf for me, all the currency orbs are 100% only for crafting so i don't feel bad about using a couple chaos or regals here and there, whereas on regular league those orbs would buy me an entire new set of gear and it's only really worth it for rich players to use higher end currency

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014
Key things about the patch on Thursday:

Perandus Leaguestones that drop after this patch will now have a 20% chance to spawn Cadiro in the next area.
Onslaught Leaguestones that drop after this patch will now have 20% increased Quantity of Items found in the next area.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Very good

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zo posted:

that's the fun part of ssf for me, all the currency orbs are 100% only for crafting so i don't feel bad about using a couple chaos or regals here and there, whereas on regular league those orbs would buy me an entire new set of gear and it's only really worth it for rich players to use higher end currency

Yeah its annoying you're able to migrate your ssf guy to normal since that'd keep me awake if i got a mirror drop

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah its annoying you're able to migrate your ssf guy to normal since that'd keep me awake if i got a mirror drop

Mirrors don't seem terribly useful SSF?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I want to try my hand at an uber lab farmer - what's a good way to do it? EQ/Warchief Jugg & Berserker seem like popular options but I don't know what's budget viable with the 40c or so I have to rub together.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Just make a mule? I'd probably mule chaos and up on ssf honestly.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I've been having so much fun this league that I decided to get the $60 legacy supporter package. It's my first time buying anything from GGG that isn't stash tabs. I was all excited to spend the 550 points but now looking at all the MTX I find myself arrested by crushing weight of all these options. Help.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would recommend picking out an armor set and waiting for it to go on sale but thats not a terribly exciting answer

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

amazeballs posted:

I've been having so much fun this league that I decided to get the $60 legacy supporter package. It's my first time buying anything from GGG that isn't stash tabs. I was all excited to spend the 550 points but now looking at all the MTX I find myself arrested by crushing weight of all these options. Help.

When tabs go on sale (should be this weekend) get a currency tab and a 4 pack of premium tabs if you dont already have them. They are the best things to buy off the bat.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Really Big Tab is also good for trading purposes.
Essence tab is nice to keep things organized, but not super-duper necessary.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

StashAugustine posted:

Mirrors don't seem terribly useful SSF?

I meant that it'd be annoying to get a mirror drop ssf cause you would have to pick between giving up or not

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think an item worth like $140 USD would be worth giving up a video game character for :shrug:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also you can mule it can't you?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
wait just 140 bux nm then

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think an item worth like $140 USD would be worth giving up a video game character for :shrug:

yeah I'd cash out right away on a mule

i let like $800 worth of gear rot away on a diablo 3 character because i was making a lot of money flipping items (this was when the AH was still around obviously) and got high off my own supply.. never again

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Bugsy posted:

When tabs go on sale (should be this weekend) get a currency tab and a 4 pack of premium tabs if you dont already have them. They are the best things to buy off the bat.

I have a currency tab and two sets of premium tabs, but I can probably do with another set of premium tabs.

Awesome! posted:

i would recommend picking out an armor set and waiting for it to go on sale but thats not a terribly exciting answer

Actually the armor sets were what I was looking the hardest at. I didn't know they go on sale, so I'm probably going to do this along with another set of premium tabs.

Thanks dudes!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

amazeballs posted:

Actually the armor sets were what I was looking the hardest at. I didn't know they go on sale, so I'm probably going to do this along with another set of premium tabs.

Thanks dudes!

You can go to the shop page and put the MTX you want on your watchlist and it'll tell you when it goes on sale.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

jerkstoresup posted:

Stupid newbie here. I've sort of hit a wall at Cruel Act 4 at level 56. I'm following this archer guide and melting mobs with Lightning Arrow, but bosses are getting to be impossible, my gear is getting weak and I'm dying instantly pretty often now. I'm not sure whether to back up an act or two and level up while looking for better drops, or try to craft/trade something better. I have 5 chaos orbs I could use to trade for something nice but I don't know what to look for exactly, and I don't think I have enough crafting orbs to put something nice together.

Sorry if this is vague. Here's my character:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/jerkstoresup/characters

The tabula rosa is definitely holding me back from some EV and other stats, but the 6-linked Lightning Arrow is my only strong point right now.

When it comes to not dying, Resistances and Life are what matters and it's really all that matters for awhile. Armor and Evasion don't really count until you have Life and Resistances, and even then, they only kinda sorta count in some scenarios sometimes.

Looking at your gear, you have some pieces with good defensive stats, but some with literally none. This isn't a problem if there is a good reason to have a slot with no defensives as all (Death Harp is one such good reason), but...

You have some gear that is almost entirely worthless. I think this is coming from a misunderstanding of mechanics, which is totally fine. Figuring out what scales with what and how is a mess and Doing It Wrong™ is a part of learning, but we should fix this.

For example you have a Ring:

code:
Agony Band, Paula Ring
--------------------------------------
+21 Mana
+11 Dexterity
Add 6 to 12 Fire Damage to Attacks
+2 Life Gained / Hit
+4 Mana on kill
We are solving two problems with gear:

1. Killing the mans.
2. Not dying to the mans.

So, if we were to evaluate the value of these stats with that in mind:

Mana - Worthless
Dex - Trivial
Fire Damage to Attacks - Can help kill things, but not for you.
Life on Hit - Trivial
Mana on Kill - Worthless

Now, Elemental Damage on attacks can work for builds, but your build is Physical Damage Conversion. You are doing a ton of physical damage that scales with all these physical damage passives you take that gets converted to elemental damage. 6 - 12 Fire Damage scales with nothing you have going on, so it's very weak here. If it was 6 - 12 Physical Damage, that'd be a real damage stat.

At the end of the day then, we have a ring that does *almost* nothing for you at all. Replacing it with a white Coral Ring with just 30 life on it would arguably be an upgrade.

Looking at another piece:

code:
Woe Hoof, Shagreen Boots
59% Increased Evasion Rating
+16 Maximum Life
14% Increased Rarity of Items Found
+15% to Lightning Resistance
+14 Increased Stun and Block Recovery
If we were to distill these boots down to the stats that hold any nonzero value, you'd have these:

code:
Woe Hoof, Shagreen Boots
+16 Maximum Life
+15% to Lightning Resistance
There is so much noise on gear that it can be hard to figure out what actually has value and what doesn't, but it's super important to critically look at the stat it's providing to figure out if it's doing something useful for you.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It is still a bit early in the season, and you're a bit low level, but you can already buy some pretty decent rares on the market for 1c.
If you can't yet wear them because of the level requirement it's a time honored tradition in PoE to leech levels and progress in pub groups by hanging around with a bunch of totally overpowered pizza stick casters. Once you're level 65+ you can equip most hand-me-downs from more wealthy players.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

jerkstoresup posted:

Stupid newbie here. I've sort of hit a wall at Cruel Act 4 at level 56. I'm following this archer guide and melting mobs with Lightning Arrow, but bosses are getting to be impossible, my gear is getting weak and I'm dying instantly pretty often now. I'm not sure whether to back up an act or two and level up while looking for better drops, or try to craft/trade something better. I have 5 chaos orbs I could use to trade for something nice but I don't know what to look for exactly, and I don't think I have enough crafting orbs to put something nice together.

Sorry if this is vague. Here's my character:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/jerkstoresup/characters

The tabula rosa is definitely holding me back from some EV and other stats, but the 6-linked Lightning Arrow is my only strong point right now.

To add to what Canine said, I see you've picked up the claw nodes down to Soul Raker. I only glanced over the guide, which seems to be in need of a review, because he talks about jewels and how Lioneye's Fall is NOT needed. Yet unless I'm missing something there is no reason to pick those claw nodes unless you turn them into bow nodes with that very jewel (which right now costs 40 chaos). This would be done via the two projectile damage and jewel socket node below Soul Raker. At this time those points would be better spent...anywhere else.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Can I get an invite to the guild, please? Character name is WuTangMeatballsLEG.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Valle posted:

To add to what Canine said, I see you've picked up the claw nodes down to Soul Raker. I only glanced over the guide, which seems to be in need of a review, because he talks about jewels and how Lioneye's Fall is NOT needed. Yet unless I'm missing something there is no reason to pick those claw nodes unless you turn them into bow nodes with that very jewel (which right now costs 40 chaos). This would be done via the two projectile damage and jewel socket node below Soul Raker. At this time those points would be better spent...anywhere else.

The wording on the new claw nodes seem to say that the leech is general, rather than claws only, so it's not completely worthless. It's might be an easier way to get leech if one wants to stick to the ranger/shadow part at the start.
It's still 5 points, 4 of which does nothing, which could be better spent in life nodes. Priority #1 should probably be herbalism and nullification.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

and then get banned

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I gotta say I'm not entirely liking the leaguestones, it's a lot of inventory clutter and instead of the randomness of how many you'll find of a new mechanic in previous leagues it feels like going down a checklist.

Found the breach? check.
Found the exile? check.
Found the perandus chest? check.

I'd like them slightly more if it was worded "the area contains at least 1 of this" or "the area contains up to 3 of this" and it could have a little variance.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I gotta say I'm not entirely liking the leaguestones, it's a lot of inventory clutter and instead of the randomness of how many you'll find of a new mechanic in previous leagues it feels like going down a checklist.

Found the breach? check.
Found the exile? check.
Found the perandus chest? check.

I'd like them slightly more if it was worded "the area contains at least 1 of this" or "the area contains up to 3 of this" and it could have a little variance.

That sounds awful so instead of knowing when you were done you'd go looking for the last non-existent chest before loving off? sounds bad and slow.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I just toss em in and plow through maps and dont give a poo poo if i miss something unless it's actually a good stone.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Leaguestones are good and awesome until you realize that half of the ones in your stash are for areas you outleveled and they won't upgrade if you sell them.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just wish there was a recipe to combine 3 whites and a transmute into a magic

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Need build advice for NattyIce_crash https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Maddot_66/characters

Making him into a crit Ice crash build and I'm looking for advice on just about everything. Not sure where to go next in the passive tree, open to suggestions over which curses/auras/links to use for my main and support skills.

I was thinking of stacking life regen along with immortal flesh and the consecrated ascendancy nodes to help with defense, not sure if that will be a big help or not.

I also have no idea what uniques I want other than a hegemony's era once I scrape enough $$$ together.

any goon help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What if you went. Chaos Occultist. With delirum (decay) bow. and... wither cwc bladefall? blight cwc?

Blight doesn't 'hit.' But if you cwc-bladefall, will on hit effects work off bladefall? Will I be able to apply delirum, and will I be able to leech?

• Locked thread