Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe some people will think it's good and some people will think it's bad? Maybe even some people will think it's just kind of ok?

Personally, I definitely think it will be a game you can play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Maybe some people will think it's good and some people will think it's bad? Maybe even some people will think it's just kind of ok?

Personally, I definitely think it will be a game you can play

:same:

And if it ends up being terrible at least there is the new System Shock game to play in a year or two for space wonderfulness.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

My weapon names are gonna all be like:

Shotgun, delayed blast electric damage

Pistol, extra headshot damage, slow reload

and super boring poo poo like that that saves me from having to inspect things closer.

Mine will be something like
M92, rifle, aliens, killing, for the use of

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Only thing I'm worried about is framerates on regular ps4. I mean it's not like decent animations/facial expressions are industry standard for aaa rpgs, so whatever.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I like how he stylishly painted his head plate

She.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Is it weird that I want the Pathfinder Initiative to fail? Like, the hubris of just going to another galaxy - one you suspect may already have sentient inhabitants - and claiming it for yourself is just kind of staggering, and I REALLY want it to bite them in the rear end even though I know in my heart it won't. I'm sure the writers will just handwave it away, "We're going to live in peace and harmony with the natives! We can share the land!," but if you look at the history of colonialism that isn't how it plays out. Like, ever.

It also really bugs me that (whatever excuse the writers come up with) the main character essentially gets their job due to nepotism. They're already on the elite explorer team solely because of who their father is, and then they get promoted over the designated second-in-command? Again I'm sure the writers will use some kind of Prothean Beacon type plot device to justify it but it still objectively sucks. Both of those plots elements could be good if addressed properly and actually discussed at length but I strongly suspect Bioware isn't going to do that.

Edit: I guess I'm just bummed that Shepard was a distinguished war hero (or war criminal) recruited to protect humanity and battle terrorists and monsters, whereas Ryder is a scrawny 22-year old underachiever on a (totally unnecessary) quest for Lebensraum.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 8, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Is it weird that I want the Pathfinder Initiative to fail? Like, the hubris of just going to another galaxy - one you suspect may already have sentient inhabitants - and claiming it for yourself is just kind of staggering, and I REALLY want it to bite them in the rear end even though I know in my heart it won't. I'm sure the writers will just handwave it away, "We're going to live in peace and harmony with the natives! We can share the land!," but if you look at the history of colonialism that isn't how it plays out. Like, ever.

That's why I was bummed out, when it turned out not to be a last ditch effort to escape the Reapers, but a private cruise for Colonialism. The first could have been defended, and the Milky Way crew as bunch of refugees looking for a home would have been more interesting than Spanish ships on the horizon of Hispaniola set in the year 2800.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

It also really bugs me that (whatever excuse the writers come up with) the main character essentially gets their job due to nepotism. They're already on the elite explorer team solely because of who their father is, and then they get promoted over the designated second-in-command? Again I'm sure the writers will use some kind of Prothean Beacon type plot device to justify it but it still objectively sucks. Both of those plots elements could be good if addressed properly and actually discussed at length but I strongly suspect Bioware isn't going to do that.

Edit: I guess I'm just bummed that Shepard was a distinguished war hero (or war criminal) recruited to protect humanity and battle terrorists and monsters, whereas Ryder is a scrawny 22-year old underachiever on a (totally unnecessary) quest for Lebensraum.

aint no one who can claim galaxies and if there was, the only claim they got is through military might and being assholes so it's your dicksize vs mine BITCH. Just like with how we figured out country borders here on earf

If i wanna move in you gotta deal with it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Uh no sorry you can't enter our GALAXY, it's like, well it's not full but we just don't want you mexicans aliens here

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

You'd think bioware, a company aware enough to put y'know, gays in their games, would be able to handle a subject like colonialism appropriately

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

You'd think bioware, a company aware enough to put y'know, gays in their games, would be able to handle a subject like colonialism appropriately

Hot-button issues like Western hegemony need to be treated with a deft hand, which is why they hired the guy who wrote Halo 4 to lead this game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EA/Bioware will create whatever logic holes or unfortunate implications they need to never, ever mention the Reapers again and totally reboot continuity.

exquisite tea posted:

Hot-button issues like Western hegemony need to be treated with a deft hand, which is why they hired the guy who wrote Halo 4 to lead this game.

Relax, they replaced him with one of the two guys who wrote the most reviled ending in video game history.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

Relax, they replaced him with one of the two guys who wrote the most reviled ending in video game history.

:agreed:

All the writers need to do is go all out on the fuckbuddy love interest content with various happily ever after space fairy tale endings that are open to sequels and the ME franchise will print cash for the next couple decades.

The mistake the ME3 hacks made was thinking they were writing high minded art, not erotic fanfic with a generic waist high wall cover shooter anchored to it.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 8, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DancingShade posted:

All the writers need to do is go all out on the fuckbuddy love interest content with various happily ever after space fairy tale endings that are open to sequels and the ME franchise will print cash for the next couple decades.

The mistake the ME3 hacks made was thinking they were writing high minded art, not erotic fanfic with a generic waist high wall cover shooter anchored to it.

https://twitter.com/BizarroHepler/status/183028812211171328

Still the truest thing said about Mass Effect.

EDIT: I just realized that Bioware could totally have gotten away with continuing the franchise after ME3 no matter the ending as long as no ships were sunk.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

https://twitter.com/BizarroHepler/status/183028812211171328

Still the truest thing said about Mass Effect.

EDIT: I just realized that Bioware could totally have gotten away with continuing the franchise after ME3 no matter the ending as long as no ships were sunk.

Not wrong at all.

Keeping the fuckbuddy alive and loving is literally all that matters. Anything else is window dressing.

EA Bioware is slowly realising they have a 3D cover based shooter dating simulator. Emphasis on dating simulator.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

fridge corn posted:

The idea of colonialism kind of falls apart on a galactic scale. And besides what difference does it make if a group starts colonising from the milky way or some random planets in andromeda? It's a loving galaxy!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

The idea of colonialism kind of falls apart on a galactic scale. And besides what difference does it make if a group starts colonising from the milky way or some random planets in andromeda? It's a loving galaxy!

"The idea of colonialism kind of falls apart on a continental scale. What difference does it make if a group starts colonizing North America from Europe? It's a loving continent!" - An attitude that worked out really great for Native Americans

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

"The idea of colonialism kind of falls apart on a continental scale. What difference does it make if a group starts colonizing North America from Europe? It's a loving continent!" - An attitude that worked out really great for Native Americans

The concept of terra nullius isn't inherently invalid in space, for one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The remnant will be the innocent enlightened natives of Andromeda.

They might also run their cell phone batteries off human blood or something, who knows.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
man a whole galaxy, better start 3d printin a ton of flags

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pretty sure the only sapient species we'll see inhabits one planet. Colonialism doesn't have much of an impact on native people if there are none on the other six.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bud K ninja sword posted:

man a whole galaxy, better start 3d printin a ton of flags

Sorry, the 3D printer is busy making parts for the other 2/3s of the space station we didn't build.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If these savages weren't meant to be domesticated they'd have built their own Milky Way Initiative.

These muthafucks don't even understand fashion... tucking their head-tentacles into their ponchos, the gently caress is up with that?

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
To make us feel better about the colonialism we're probably going to be 'liberating' the Angara from their evil Khett overlords. Isn't the character class for Jaal something about a rebel or renegade?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hexal posted:

To make us feel better about the colonialism we're probably going to be 'liberating' the Angara from their evil Khett overlords. Isn't the character class for Jaal something about a rebel or renegade?

Resistance fighter, yeah.

Serf
May 5, 2011

IRL no mercy for the (theoretical) incomprehensible aliens squatting on the planets rightfully belonging to us earthlings.

In the idealized videogame world it really is both crazy that the Andromeda Initiative wouldn't have some self-awareness about colonialism and it totally makes sense because well, people are largely lovely and stupid. Of course that latter thing is a little glossed over in Mass Effect with the conceit that the Council even exists and alien species cooperate in any capacity.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

There's a reason Lenny Kravitz and a Krogan who wears the bones of enemies as a hat are on the boat, gonna teach that rear end backwards galaxy how to style.

It's gonna be a cool and chill pogrom.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Neither the Reapers nor the Andromeda Initiative did anything wrong. If a more powerful Andromeda species wipes out the Initiative they also will have acted correctly.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Media doesn't have to be something done to you, guys.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The last briefing explicitly said the AI would respect the sovereignty of existing alien species and look for coexistence with them.

And there's a line about First Contact protocol that's basically "don't shoot unless they are shooting at you or another AI member"

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 8, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How are the colony ships getting around when they arrive in the new galaxy without mass relays? Doesn't it take like ages to traverse galaxies without them? What's their plan?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The entire Andromeda Initiative is ridiculous. Who decided to let humans in on the extragalactic expedition when they've only been on the galactic stage for two decades? What sort of human jumps in on the suicidal extragalactic expedition when the milky way just opened up to them!?!?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

evilmiera posted:

How are the colony ships getting around when they arrive in the new galaxy without mass relays? Doesn't it take like ages to traverse galaxies without them? What's their plan?

The arks can move at 11.X light years per day and have a magic new drive that doesn't have to discharge at gas giants and can scoop up enough hydrogen fuel from the emptiness between the galaxies. There was a briefing click here for the ODSY drive.

Varam posted:

The entire Andromeda Initiative is ridiculous. Who decided to let humans in on the extragalactic expedition when they've only been on the galactic stage for two decades? What sort of human jumps in on the suicidal extragalactic expedition when the milky way just opened up to them!?!?

:gizz:

Serf
May 5, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

The last briefing explicitly said the AI would respect the sovereignty of existing alien species and look for coexistence with them.

And there's a line about First Contact protocol that's basically "don't unless they are shooting at you or another AI member"

When the AI fails to live up to the ideals it has set up for itself, the interesting thing will be whether this is done completely straight-faced with 0 self-awareness, or whether the writers will understand that we are playing as the bad guys.

Could go either way.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

And there's a line about First Contact protocol that's basically "don't unless they are shooting at you or another AI member"

Well then good thing that's exactly what happens.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Also there will probably be some snarky comments about being a daddy's boy/girl to address the nepotism. Maybe a crew member will need to be won over!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

a primate posted:

Also there will probably be some snarky comments about being a daddy's boy/girl to address the nepotism. Maybe a crew member will need to be won over!

"Hey kid you're only here because of your da-" *eats butt of my space rifle*

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

"Hey kid you're only here because of your da-" *eats butt until orgasm*

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
a little bit on branching paths in Andromeda

http://www.vg247.com/2017/03/08/mas...-play-the-game/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

evilmiera posted:

It's a little unclear, but the whole Andromeda Initiative -- and thereby this whole game -- only takes place in one single cluster, the Helius Cluster. It's like taking the Normandy around the Argus Rho or Hawking Eta clusters in ME1, and doesn't require mass relays.