Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Nonary Games - Coming to Steam March 24.

• Two spine-tingling Nonary Games
    Zero welcomes you to take part in both the Nonary Game and the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition as the award-winning escape-the-room visual novels Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999) and its sequel, Virtue’s Last Reward (VLR), are together for the first time.
  • A remastered and revamped Nine Hours
    The well-received classic Nintendo DS game 999 has been updated with hi-res graphics and a variety of new features including both Japanese and English voice acting!
  • Seek a way out
    Search for clues within numerous locked rooms and solve mind-bending puzzles in order to escape. VLR even has two difficulty settings for more of a challenge.
  • Fascinating theories and pseudo science ideas abound along the twisting, turning journey to uncover who Zero is, why everyone was kidnapped, and the shocking connection between the Nonary Games.

I am incredibly curious and not terribly optimistic about how 999 will make the transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, how do you do the 999 twist without a second screen?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As long as the "narration" is on a separate part of the screen, I don't see how it wouldn't work. The only part where it'd really make any difference is in the last puzzle but I'm pretty sure they can just switch between the narration part and the gameplay part to imitate the effect or somesuch.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
As cool as the twist was, it was also a pain to keep having to flip the DS to do the sudoku puzzle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I never actually realized I was supposed to flip the DS and just solved the puzzle upside down.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Added Space posted:

A boy, raised in a laboratory as an experiment, rejected when he doesn't meet his father's expectations... sounds familiar.

Honestly I wonder. Is K actually a robot? Just one that doesn't realize he is? That might explain why his "father" thought a robot mother was appropriate.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

I am incredibly curious and not terribly optimistic about how 999 will make the transition.

Here you go.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am incredibly glad to see the VLR flow/tree
even if that game's branching timeline is far less complicated

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God yes thank you, I only have to play the first escape once.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cool, it seems like they kept the voice actors consistent between the versions/games. I was curious about that given how long the gap actually was between games in this series.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm actually somewhat tempted to get that Nonary game duo pack, even though I disliked some parts of the first game, and I don't want to play the second game and disqualify myself from being able to speculate before Fedule finishes it up.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
999 OST: [Imaginary]

I live for typos in VNs.

What're you doing?
You're supposed to be waiting back in the warehouse.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Yeah, I know. I just decided to go check on you guys.

I waited a long time and nobody showed up.

Judging by your face, you haven't found them either. drat...

Yeah...

Where's K?

He's in the lounge.

You decided to split up?

Well...not quite...

Instead of waiting for my answer, she opened the door to the lounge and walked in.

I guess he's not feeling too well. He said he wanted to rest for a bit...

Is he all right?

I think so...
We should leave him alone right now, though.
Remember, there's a real person inside that suit.
I'm sure he's just tired.

Tired, huh...

How're you feeling?

...What?

I feel tired just looking at you.

Really...?
Well, I guess I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little exhausted.
I mean, all of a sudden I wake up trapped in some weird-rear end game, and then dead bodies start turning up...
Honestly I'm amazed I've managed to hold onto my sanity for this long.

The more I try and figure any of it out, the more I feel like my brain's just going to melt and run out my ears.
You know what I'm talking about, right?
We managed to figure out who the killer was, but there's still a hundred other questions we have no idea about...
Where the hell are we?
Why are we even here?
What's this whole Nonary Game thing for?
And what is Zero Sr. up to?
Hell, how about who Zero Sr. is?
The rabbit said he was one of us, but...

Who knows...

Besides, we still don't know why Dio killed them.
He said he was ordered to do it, but...

And there's more, too.
What about the old lady?
Who is she? What's her deal?
Hell, what are any of our deals?
I don't know jack poo poo about anybody here.
I don't even know anything about you, Phi.

You can't honestly suspect me, can you?

No, that's not it.

I'm just like you.
I was kidnapped on December 25th and brought here too...

She trailed off.

...?

You heard that, right?

Yeah. It came from the hallway.

Let's go have a look.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Maybe they got on the elevator?

Let's try hitting the button.
If the door doesn't open immediately, then we'll know the elevator's downstairs.

Let's go.

Let's just head for the green door.

Why?

Because the treatment center's there.
That's where Dio and Quark are.

Uh...so?

You aren't worried?
I just want to make sure they're safe.

They're fine.
Tenmyouji or Clover probably made that noise.
Well, maybe both of them...
But I don't think they'd hurt Quark or Dio.

Are you sure?

Huh?

Dio admitted to killing the old woman, but he still insists that he didn't kill Alice or Luna.
What if he's telling the truth?

Are you serious?! You're gonna believe him?

It doesn't matter. I just want to know if they're safe.
No harm in being careful.

All right, fine.

We headed to the first pod. I cracked open the top and lifted it back...

There was Quark, sound asleep.

See?

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was probably getting worried for nothing.
How about Dio?

Let's open his.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

RIP Dio, couldn't have happened to a better person.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not an empty quote.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dio still had his suicide capsule, didn't he?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I see nothing wrong here. :colbert:

But okay... SOMEONE pounded on the door or otherwise made a noise in the hallway when Sigma, Phi, and K were all in the lounge. This does not rule out Phi killing Dio earlier and then coming to see Sigma, but it does make her a little less likely as a suspect. Luna and Alice are dead. Whoever killed Dio left his bracelet, but it wouldn't do any good anyway.

...But I bet whoever killed Dio took the Neostigmatime whatever which will let them survive the poison injection, and then they use Quark's bracelet to leave. Ten will not leave under any circumstances without Quark even if it means he dies.

So... Clover.

Supporting evidence: She was in the treatment room with Dio when he took it, and she has the potential to remember what it does.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 8, 2017

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yep, everything is as it should be. Carry on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Try voting Betray now, fucker.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hogama posted:

Dio still had his suicide capsule, didn't he?

My guess is that he won't use it unless his true identity has been exposed (meaning there's risk of him being interrogated for Free the Soul's secrets). In this timeline, he's just seen as a murderer, so there's no pressing reason to off himself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what happened to quark's bracelet? dio's is useless, obviously.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what happened to quark's bracelet? dio's is useless, obviously.

It's been gone since he was discovered, so that's one of the ongoing mysteries of this branch.

I'm still waiting for someone to notice the other thing missing in the last update's screenshots.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
K's bracelet had a white glowing circle in it when Sigma left him for his nap. When he came back a moment later with Phi, that circle is gone. So... did he die in the minute or two Sigma left him alone for? Or... he DID find the key in the Gaulem Bay, and somehow managed to get the armor off (wasn't that supposed to require someone to turn the key because he couldn't reach it himself anyway? Hmmm. Anyway, this theory, K wasn't tired, he just wanted an excuse to be left alone for a few minutes so he could take off his armor. There's nothing in that suit anymore.

So... That means that it was K who stole Quark's bracelet and K who killed Dio? (For the neo stuff, because his bracelet is still on his arm, it wasn't part of the suit, the suit was overtop of it). Although where K would have learned about what that drug does beats me. Maybe Clover told him? ... Hmmm... that would mean he killed Clover and Ten or locked them up and I don't know if he had time for that, and I'm not sure if he's quite that ruthless.

Hmmm.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

So... That means that it was K who stole Quark's bracelet and K who killed Dio? (For the neo stuff, because his bracelet is still on his arm, it wasn't part of the suit, the suit was overtop of it). Although where K would have learned about what that drug does beats me. Maybe Clover told him? ... Hmmm... that would mean he killed Clover and Ten or locked them up and I don't know if he had time for that, and I'm not sure if he's quite that ruthless.

If you take note of certain facts from K's recently-recovered memories, based on the thread's current interpretation, you'll notice a different and much simpler motive for killing Dio, assuming K somehow snuck out of his suit to do so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ET, stop. Let some people have the :doh: moment.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

PMush Perfect posted:

ET, stop. Let some people have the :doh: moment.

Agreed, it's getting far to guidey for my taste, and I'd hate it if I were trying to experience the game and kept having specific things pointed out to me by someone who already knew the answer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bad dog! No treat!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haha

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
oh no not dio what a tragedy :geno:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nobody killed Dio; he choked on a pretzel.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cyouni posted:

Agreed, it's getting far to guidey for my taste, and I'd hate it if I were trying to experience the game and kept having specific things pointed out to me by someone who already knew the answer.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Please stop pointing things out, E.T.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Is this the first route we've seen where Dio ends up mysteriously dead all by himself? (And if so, I'm glad we didn't play it first, because it's so... satisfying.)

Please cut it out. If you can't temporarily forget what you know is about to happen, don't try and lead us to guess.

Supporting evidence: She was in the treatment room with Dio when he took it, and she has the potential to remember what it does.

Isn't Sigma and/or Phi jamming her psychic abilities, though?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

zonohedron posted:

Isn't Sigma and/or Phi jamming her psychic abilities, though?

You didn't actually read the link, did you. It has nothing to do with cross-temporal-spacial-whack-a-mole, it has to do with her actual normal human memory and the ability to recall things. On this timeline she started to recall what the stuff did.

If our mysterious killer is Clover, the strange question is "How did she know where to find Dio"? Killing him wouldn't be the problem, I'm sure you could do all kinds of lethal things to someone trapped in a treatment pod, even if only cutting off their oxygen. She has been missing since everyone split up to look for Quark.

If our killer is naked-K, one of the strange questions is "how does he know what Tubocurarine Neostigmine does"? (Another is how did he get that suit off. I'm trying to remember where his suit was investigated.)

EDIT: Got the drugs mixed up.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

If our killer is naked-K, one of the strange questions is "how does he know what Tubocurarine does"? (Another is how did he get that suit off. I'm trying to remember where his suit was investigated.)

Fedule posted:

Your bracelet also has a bunch of needles on the inside.
If you break the rules, those needles hop out and inject you.

First is the Soporil, which puts you to sleep. Nine minutes later, the tubocurarine is injected, numbing your respiratory muscles.

I guess you could say it'll really take your breath away!

There are many questions we need answered, but "how does K know what tubocurarine does" is not one of them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Is this the first route we've seen where Dio ends up mysteriously dead all by himself? (And if so, I'm glad we didn't play it first, because it's so... satisfying.)

Well, he was dead in Clover's route, though we know it was due to Radical-6, so I don't know if that qualifies as mysterious.

Otherwise, yes. He's alive at the end of Tenmyouji's route, as I recall, escapes in his own, dies via cyanide in Alice's, and I think those are the only endings we've seen.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

If our killer is naked-K, one of the strange questions is "how does he know what Tubocurarine does"? (Another is how did he get that suit off. I'm trying to remember where his suit was investigated.)

Pretty sure you mean Neostigmine here, and if K's little backstory dump is to be trusted then he spent years researching in a lab with his dad, so it's possible he learned it there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Materant posted:

There are many questions we need answered, but "how does K know what tubocurarine does" is not one of them.

Sorry, I meant the antidote for that stuff. Neostigmawhatever. I got them mixed up.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dio is dead, oh no, how will anyone ever live with themselves :geno:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Nobody killed Dio; he choked on a pretzel.

"welp all alone in this here chamber might as well do something with my time"

:dio tries autoerotic asphyxiation, fails:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

You didn't actually read the link, did you. It has nothing to do with cross-temporal-spacial-whack-a-mole, it has to do with her actual normal human memory and the ability to recall things. On this timeline she started to recall what the stuff did.

Guilty as charged. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

"welp all alone in this here chamber might as well do something with my time"

:dio tries autoerotic asphyxiation, fails:
And yet, everyone else wins.

• Locked thread