Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

A week after posting my motorcycle on Craigslist I got my first offer. I'm asking $4400 and said I'm open to trade for a full size pickup or SUV. The offer?
A Discovery series 2. I need a truck to tow my project, not be the project. :smith:

lol pass on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Are euro plates ever acceptable?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

No.

I need a simple adjustable weight bench to use at home because gym fees are for jerks. I thought I was gonna score my mom's for free but my sister has decided she wants it and since she lives there she got dibs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

That's awesome.

I'm That Guy at work who bangs away on a Model M for eight hours a day. A few of the key caps are getting smooth but the mechanism is as tight (and loud) as ever. :kheldragar:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cherry MX greens are a good click too

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

blk posted:

Are you in mainland Europe?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

lol pass on that.

Done. I went to rockauto and every category was bold. Then I saw the prices...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

totalnewbie posted:

A counterfeit spark plug came in to the office today. Looked pretty good at first glance. Only some really small details gave it away. Well, that and throwing it in the xray machine, but who's got one of those at home?

Be careful out there. Buy from reputable sources.

I would like to know more about this.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

blk posted:

If you are in the US I would give a pass to an imported car wearing it's original plates on the front in a no plate state. Otherwise it's a bit tacky.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So this isn't someone I know very well, but it's someone my old roommate tried to hook me up with. We had talked a bit, and always wanted to meet eventually.

He got drugged (supposedly GHB, but must have been a very bad batch, as his kidneys have called it quits) and raped. He's been in the hospital for several days now, and it's really touch and go at this point.

In semi happier news... had to lay into the brakes pretty hard today and heard that lovely GRIIIIIIIIND (and felt it in the pedal). The pads up front had at least 60k on them, and were $7 clearance pads from Rockauto 3 years ago (still ceramic, at least). Went ahead and ordered new ceramic pads online using a coupon from Advance for in-store pickup while between deliveries, and picked them up after work.

I think I got my money's worth out of those $7 pads. :stare: One of them had a rivet just starting to make itself visible, but there were no grooves in the rotors that I could catch with a fingernail, so I caught them just in time. One pad crumbled once removed (the friction surface, that is). I also had 2 neighbors that I'd seen around before, but never talked to, offer me flashlights while I was doing my patented pad slap. The parking lot lighting was enough on the driver's side, and I was able to do the passenger side by feel alone. Bedded them in a bit going up and down my street, and drat near ate the steering wheel once they started grabbing. I think I'm gonna like these a lot better than the $7 NASCAR!!!! branded pads I had (rebranded Raybestos service grade).

60k out of the old pads. The pads I put on tonight are the same ones I put on my mom's car (CarQuest Wearever Gold Ceramic); if you so much as look at the brake pedal funny in her car, you bottom out the front suspension and take a bite out of the dash, and you make drat sure you like it. I think I may have a little air in my lines, as it takes a bit more pedal travel to get the same effect in my car.. but I can definitely get the same effect. Front suspension almost bottoms out and my teeth come dangerously close to the steering wheel if I lay into them. This is how brakes SHOULD be.

What's kinda funny is when I called my local Advance to see if they had these pads in stock, they said they did, but suggested I go with the "professional" line, as "the pro line includes new shims". Guess what was in the box with these? :v:

The weird clicking I've had for several months while braking is gone now too. The last set didn't come with the shims, so I just reused the old ones. Guess they were moving around a bit.

fridge corn posted:

i once had a nightmare where I went down into the basement and the whole place was flooded and the shark from jaws was there and also a raptor from jurassic park and also the terminator and the whole place was on fire like in the film backdraft

I've had a recurring nightmare for ages where I'm caught in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, start running for shelter, and get hit by lightning, making me explode like a squirrel that touches two wires on a power pole. Always wake up immediately after that with my entire body tingling.

wallaka posted:

The first movie I remember seeing was a Song of the South in 1986.

The first one I remember seeing in a theater is one of the Star Wars movies. I couldn't tell you which one without watching them again.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think my first R was a Kazaa download of The Matrix.

Somehow, watching it on a lovely 15" CRT monitor seemed very appropriate.

Up until now, I thought we were at least somewhat close in age... kiddo.

totalnewbie posted:

A counterfeit spark plug came in to the office today. Looked pretty good at first glance. Only some really small details gave it away. Well, that and throwing it in the xray machine, but who's got one of those at home?

Welp that rules out Amazon, thanks to their "oh same SKU from multiple resellers? no prob, let's just mix all of them!".

I need to do plugs again sometime this year... I think the owner's manual suggests every 80k? I'm sitting around 70k on these, which are the AC Delco model # that supersedes the original plug part number.

totalnewbie, you're probably the one to ask about this. Do 4 wire (assuming narrowband, as the emissions sticker states O2 instead of A/F, but it's a 4 wire) O2 sensors eventually wear out, or do they just quit working, or does the ECU just compensate over time? My mileage is still decent, oil consumption is basically nil (I'm pretty sure most of the 1.5 quarts I lose between 8-9k oil changes is from the valve cover gasket), but I'm coming up on 170k on the original sensors.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm That Guy at work who bangs away on a Model M for eight hours a day. A few of the key caps are getting smooth but the mechanism is as tight (and loud) as ever. :kheldragar:

At my very first real job - a job doing tech support for credit card terminals in the late 90s - I managed to talk them into getting me a Model M.

That didn't last very long. My typing speed even back then was approaching 100 WPM, and it could be heard through the entire NOC and in the hallway outside of the NOC. Did I mention the credit card tech support and the internal helpdesk (I was in both queues, but primarily internal) people were inside the NOC?

These days, well, I'm clumsy as poo poo, so I just buy a new Logitech K120 anytime I spill another drink on it. You can usually find them for :10bux: if you look hard enough.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 8, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Only in AI can we have a post 'So, a guy I know was drugged and raped and may die. Anyway, about these brake pads....'

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's awesome.

You can get new dyesub pbt caps from Unicomp to replace the worn ones.

I too banged away at over 90wpm in cubeville on the only model m in town. You could hear my typing over just about everything in the office and I steadfastly refused to switch to something else.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

I need a simple adjustable weight bench to use at home because gym fees are for jerks. I thought I was gonna score my mom's for free but my sister has decided she wants it and since she lives there she got dibs.
Ask in the home gym thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413428
Alternatively I've been using this one for around 5.5 years - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R11G2I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

chupacabraTERROR posted:

BESPOKE KEYBOARDS

https://datamancer.com/product-category/?catid=/keyboards/

I used a Unicomp Model M at work for years and quite a few people noticed but nobody really complained. I tried a Das Keyboard for about a month when a new VP ordered himself one, and then left it when he was canned 4 months later. It was OK, but I still liked the Model M better.

When I started working from home my entire family revolted since I usually start working at 6AM and the office is on the same floor as the bedrooms, and they claim that the Model M was loud enough to wake them up. Currently using a Razer Ornata which isn't my favorite, but apparently doesn't rattle the desk enough to wake up people on the other side of the wall.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You want a truly loud typing experience? I used to have an Olivetti Linea 98, now that was loud.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jammyozzy posted:

I have put on 4kg (8.8 lbs in fuckhat units) in 2 months in America.

Just went to City BBQ and put on a bit more. Currently assessing the feasibility of building my own smoker at home. This country has issues but you do some stuff right.
That's my problem too. :(

My wife on the otherhand won the genetic lottery. Whenever we go somewhere on holidays and eat like crazy people, she never gains weight. Hell, we went on a 2 week cruise and ate our loving faces off daily, and she lost weight.

totalnewbie posted:

Counterfeit bearings are swiftly becoming a huge thing. It's usually from Asia and it's always some P.O.S. impersonating a top-tier product like SKF/Schaeffler. The best of them are becoming drat hard to spot. Not as much of an issue in North America (unless you buy poo poo on ebay or something) but a huge issue in Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa.

e: And enforcement isn't exactly going well

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 8, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

spog posted:

I would like to know more about this.

slidebite posted:

Counterfeit bearings are swiftly becoming a huge thing. It's usually from Asia and it's always some P.O.S. impersonating a top-tier product like SKF/Schaeffler. The best of them are becoming drat hard to spot. Not as much of an issue in North America (unless you buy poo poo on ebay or something) but a huge issue in Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa.

e: And enforcement isn't exactly going well

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp that rules out Amazon, thanks to their "oh same SKU from multiple resellers? no prob, let's just mix all of them!".

I need to do plugs again sometime this year... I think the owner's manual suggests every 80k? I'm sitting around 70k on these, which are the AC Delco model # that supersedes the original plug part number.

Not much to say. Customer bought a double precious metal spark plug from Amazon, which had some pretty terrible reviews, which is unusual. Objectively speaking, NGK and Denso make the best plugs and even Bosch is pretty alright. There shouldn't be a lot to complain about from a consumer's point of view.

Anyway, sent it to us and with the naked eye, I could spot a couple things that looked weird - bad ground electrode weld, bad center electrode weld, the crimp looked off, the insulator marking was weird, lot number didn't match the production location on the box (or what would make sense for us logistically), the other markings on the metal shell was weird, insulator shape was slightly wrong, maybe some other problems here and there. But none of those things was obviously wrong. Well, and internal resistance was out of spec low, but there are also low and high resistance spark plugs.

Under the microscope, it looked much more like the center and ground electrodes weren't actually precious metal.

In the x-ray machine, it was missing internal components that our plugs have and the terminal shape didn't match ours (inside the insulator) so it was much more obviously fake based on that.

Because we're a large manufacturer, we run into counterfeits not uncommonly so we have a rep at Amazon who will help us take care of this stuff. Our Aftermarket VP gave them a call and I assume took care of that particular storefront, but there's bound to be others out there.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

totalnewbie, you're probably the one to ask about this. Do 4 wire (assuming narrowband, as the emissions sticker states O2 instead of A/F, but it's a 4 wire) O2 sensors eventually wear out, or do they just quit working, or does the ECU just compensate over time? My mileage is still decent, oil consumption is basically nil (I'm pretty sure most of the 1.5 quarts I lose between 8-9k oil changes is from the valve cover gasket), but I'm coming up on 170k on the original sensors.

4 wires could mean wide-range if it's Denso. They make a thimble-type 1-cell wide-range sensor, but it's not as good as the 2-cell planar-type wide-range sensors NTK and Bosch makes. NTK and Bosch don't make 1-cell wide-range sensors. Modern switching sensors for cars will always have 4 wires - 2 for heater, 2 for element. The emissions requirements are way too strict these days to really go with anything less.

Anyway, to answer your question in a word: no. There ARE aging effects in the sensor, but they will stabilize after X miles. The ECU doesn't compensate for sensor aging, but it will set a P-code if sensor performance is not as expected, whether it's due to exhaust leak, open/short, or poisoning (lead or silicone are two common sources). OEMs all test with aged sensors to make sure emissions are still within spec.

If your sensor isn't setting a code, there's no need to replace it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 9, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Recently set up some video cameras after someone walked off with my pop's chainsaw. Still getting the alerts and sensitivity down when what do I see? Oh the city code inspector cruising through the neighborhood. Dad keeps the yards of the house looking like a poo poo heap and has for years. I do what I can to help but he won't get rid of poo poo at the rate necessary to clean the place up and he fights me on when I try to do things to clean the place up.

I'm pretty sure he's going to be getting a letter from the city soon and its not going to be good. gently caress.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Always conduct your PPI on a rainy night. Don't take any knowledgeable people with you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1275/text

"H.R.1275 - World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017" :stare:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Not much to say. Customer bought a double precious metal spark plug from Amazon, which had some pretty terrible reviews, which is unusual. Objectively speaking, NGK and Denso make the best plugs and even Bosch is pretty alright. There shouldn't be a lot to complain about from a consumer's point of view.

Anyway, sent it to us and with the naked eye, I could spot a couple things that looked weird - bad ground electrode weld, bad center electrode weld, the crimp looked off, the insulator marking was weird, lot number didn't match the production location on the box (or what would make sense for us logistically), the other markings on the metal shell was weird, insulator shape was slightly wrong, maybe some other problems here and there. But none of those things was obviously wrong. Well, and internal resistance was out of spec low, but there are also low and high resistance spark plugs.

Under the microscope, it looked much more like the center and ground electrodes weren't actually precious metal.

In the x-ray machine, it was missing internal components that our plugs have and the terminal shape didn't match ours (inside the insulator) so it was much more obviously fake based on that.

Because we're a large manufacturer, we run into counterfeits not uncommonly so we have a rep at Amazon who will help us take care of this stuff. Our Aftermarket VP gave them a call and I assume took care of that particular storefront, but there's bound to be others out there.

Are you able to share pictures of it? I am curious to see what a fake looks like.

Also, what was 'wrong' with it? i.e.if you stuck it in your engine, what would the issues be?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

Always conduct your PPI on a rainy night. Don't take any knowledgeable people with you.

That's ugly. What did they do with the sills?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It doesn't appear to have any rust, fortunately. The header panel was white, and it's got a lone red door hinge.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

spog posted:

Are you able to share pictures of it? I am curious to see what a fake looks like.

Also, what was 'wrong' with it? i.e.if you stuck it in your engine, what would the issues be?

It looks just like a normal spark plug. They are very good fakes, these days.

Some of the reviews apparently said they were breaking insulators on installation but I imagine that the primary failure mode (other than mechanical breakage) would be puncture of the insulator leading to misfires.

Maaaaaybe PI due to poor thermal conductivity but mm, I doubt it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo
It's like they're trying to be loving terrible

slidebite posted:

Counterfeit everything these days. Everything I go to buy for the car I start searching around and up pop counterfeit stories. Fuel pumps, AN fittings, hoses, connectors, etc. I assumed I could pick up a Bosch 044 pump anywhere and not worry about it...nope most places are fakes, even Amazon is full of fakes now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You know that Doug DeMuro guy right? He does those really low production value sort-of reviews on YouTube? He gets interesting cars but says the same sort of things every time? I don't like the guy because he seems like a huge insecure douche and that prevents me from enjoying the content he puts out. Someone like Jay Leno though, seems like a real and genuine guy even if his humor is just as bad and dumb and groan worthy.

Turns out that on the /cars reddit on a topic talking about why Jay Leno's channel isn't as popular had someone talk about this Doug dude. Someone else posted 'meh dude is a weird chode' and then that fuckin' Doug guy gets all butthurt and starts whining to this fukkin' reddit comment.

The point I'm trying to make is that Doug DeMuro is exactly the sort of guy you assume he is, full stop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doug Demuro is convinced he's the funniest loving guy on the planet. He occasionally hits a few laughs (broken clock is right twice a day and all that) but you can't do what he's doing and be an insecure baby about it.

Also, loving AvE has better production values, and he doesn't have Autotrader backing him.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Counterfeit everything these days.

This, because of the warranty factor, is why I use O'Reilly/Auto Zone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Doug was funnier befoee he made videos. His voice and the attempts not to laugh at his own jokes makes it even worse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

What's so great about those?
Brand new Model Ms are only $100, and come in black or original off-white, PS2 or USB.
https://www.pckeyboard.com/

Got the "Classic" in USB 105-key for my mother-in-law for Christmas. She was an IBM employee back in the day, and expressed dislike of her current HP keyboard. She loved it.

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo

And, once again, on behalf of Texas, I apologize. Why do we keep electing these twits?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Doug DeMuro is fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Doug was funnier befoee he made videos. His voice and the attempts not to laugh at his own jokes makes it even worse.

His book is pretty funny.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Do we have any mobile app devs or software devs here? Got some questions for you

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Do we have any mobile app devs or software devs here? Got some questions for you

Shoot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's like they're trying to be loving terrible

It's Congress. I don't think they can help it anymore.

I have to admit though, the title is pretty hilarious. I guess it's true if you are the CEO of Anthem or something.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nodoze posted:

Let 'er rip (although I'm mostly back-end)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

totalnewbie posted:

4 wires could mean wide-range if it's Denso. They make a thimble-type 1-cell wide-range sensor, but it's not as good as the 2-cell planar-type wide-range sensors NTK and Bosch makes. NTK and Bosch don't make 1-cell wide-range sensors. Modern switching sensors for cars will always have 4 wires - 2 for heater, 2 for element. The emissions requirements are way too strict these days to really go with anything less.

Amazon is still famous for mixing anything with the same SKU, no matter who sells it (because nobody would ever produce a counterfeit product and slap the same barcode on it :rolleyes:). They've gotten better about it, but it's still a frequent occurrence with them, despite claims to the contrary.

Mom's car does use a 4 wire Denso, and the sticker under the hood states it uses an A/F sensor instead of O2 sensor. No idea who the OEM is for mine (GM), but if it helps, NTK 21546 is a direct replacement. I assume NTK or Denso is the OEM.

I do have one sensor giving a code, but the wires going to it were nibbled on by rodents. It's just unplugged for now as it kept popping the emissions fuse (it's the post-cat sensor) until I can afford a new one.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dougs' initial posting was decent. It was back when Jalopnik wasn't a huge steaming turd. I think he jumped the shark when he bought the Aston. The Skyline was neat. The Hummer was neat. The CTS-V was obviously very cool.

His videos are terrible.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It was really dumb to make a "How does my dodge viper do in the snow?" video on summer tires imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Amazon is still famous for mixing anything with the same SKU, no matter who sells it (because nobody would ever produce a counterfeit product and slap the same barcode on it :rolleyes:). They've gotten better about it, but it's still a frequent occurrence with them, despite claims to the contrary.

Mom's car does use a 4 wire Denso, and the sticker under the hood states it uses an A/F sensor instead of O2 sensor. No idea who the OEM is for mine (GM), but if it helps, NTK 21546 is a direct replacement. I assume NTK or Denso is the OEM.

I do have one sensor giving a code, but the wires going to it were nibbled on by rodents. It's just unplugged for now as it kept popping the emissions fuse (it's the post-cat sensor) until I can afford a new one.

I'm not too familiar with Toyota's strategy, but I think they end up using the 1-cell wide-range both up and downstream.

What year/engine is your car? GM uses NTK, Denso, and Bosch sensors. I'm almost certain they don't use any Conti O2 sensors.

• Locked thread