Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think the rain in this game is legitimately a bad design choice. It doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing, and the game just randomly trolls you when you are trying to climb somewhere, making it impossible to get where you need to go until the rain stops. Also, it rains too loving much.

Just about everything else in the game is great, but whoever implemented the rain needs a throat punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Guys I just beat a spider robot to death with a metal box, goty

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Climbing during rain is easy, climb for 3 seconds, jump, rinse repeat. It takes a bit more stamina but it's not hard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wildtortilla posted:

I too would like an answer to this. I was paying attention and I still don't know what that quest was about. I collected three sunshrooms and then he talked about something, I put my tablet on their water drop machine, and then the girl scientist was kinda angry that they weren't charging me a fee. Idfk what the point of any of that was.

I was like, "later nerds," and then ran outside to jump off the mountains and float away.

Oh, if you miss a photo, like a boss, you can buy it from them for 100 rupees. They restore it from the slates cloud backup from 100 years ago, or maybe from its dual boot Linux partition.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The more DLC they come out with the better. I wish there was more stuff I could put in my house.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your Computer posted:

It's super cool that the gerudo are ripped and badass (like they should be!) but the "gaining access to the city" quest was a little... iffy.

But hey, I like the outfit :v:

I too appreciate that the Gerudos are appropriately Amazonian in this game.

And yeah the leadup to that was a bit eghhh but what you get from it makes up for that. The reaction he makes when he first puts it on is funny as hell. :newlol:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious how well this game is going to hold up to replays.

On the one hand, I could see it being pretty daunting to start over again, like if I were to rebuy it for the Switch in a few months when I get one. There's just so much there, so many koroks, so many shrines, and having traveled through the world already, the long times that it'll take to get around before you unlock fast travel points might not be as fun because I'll know what I'm going to find already.

On the other hand, now I know where to go for crazy strong weapons early on, how to make a ton of money early, where to find three of the Great Fairies, and all of that, so I'll be able to get really strong early on and just steamroll everything in my way. Plus, I know the places to beeline to in order to unlock things that are fun and will make the traveling easier, like the bird Divine Beast power.

It'll be an interesting experiment because you can bet your rear end I'm going to buy the game again on Switch because I am a spineless consumer slime.

Scholtz posted:

For me, I didn't have to wait until the Blood Moon cutscene, I just kept campfire resting "Until Night" while naked and after the third time it triggered. I guess it only has to be a night on which a blood moon is going to happen, but it can't be after the cutscene, fwiw.

Oh, that helps, at least.

I'm sure I'll get back up there eventually :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do you make a ton of money early? :(

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There's another shrine up a hill to the SE that you can glide from. Just be careful climbing the south side of that hill at night. :twisted:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Just did the first dungeon and why are some people complaining about these again?

Me thinks they didn't get their fix from albw and the 83632 other Zeldas

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Just grab everything in your path and liberally sell stuff. You can always get more of anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

When you get to Hateno Village, go to the pasture and accept the quest to hunt deer. Murder as many deer as you can--don't waste arrows, just use bombs or sneak around and hit them with swords--and grab all the Raw Prime Meat you can. Cook them in groups of five and sell the cooked food for rupees--depending on your cooking luck, it's up to 200 rupees for each cooked dish. For comparison, the uncooked meat sells for 15 rupees each.

Also, sell all gemstones, and the Stone Talus guys respawn every blood moon so go kill them again for more rubies to sell. Make sure you mark good ore spots and miniboss locations on your map with stamps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Hunt deer from the house in Hateno a bit up the walk to the research lab, cook prime meat dishes, sell for $$$

efb

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it'll hold up pretty well for replays. It's doubtful you'll find every korok, shrine, recipe, sidequest, etc, the first play through unless you are specifically hunting for them. You'll be able to start up your adventure a bit more smoothly and quickly, but there will probably still be more for you to explore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I think it'll hold up pretty well for replays. It's doubtful you'll find every korok, shrine, recipe, sidequest, etc, the first play through unless you are specifically hunting for them. You'll be able to start up your adventure a bit more smoothly and quickly, but there will probably still be more for you to explore.

Yeah, if nothing else, it's motivation not to wring every last drop out of it right now, which is probably good for my own gaming habits.

I'll probably take a screen shot of my map when I'm done with the Wii U version to at least make my korok hunting on the Switch start up a lot faster.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 8, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, so I'm trying to avoid spoiling myself but there are also things I don't want to miss.

Spoilers for items and stuff in the game:

I know the Master Sword is in the game and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the Lost Woods, but I've no idea of how to get through once I get up to the final torch markers. I don't want the solution, but I would like to know if the solution will be hinted at in the course of the game itself.

Similarly I know the Hylian Shield exists somewhere, but I've no idea of where to find it. Again, my question is, if I just play the game will hints come up telling me where it is?

Long story short I want to know if the solutions to these things are bullshit I need to look up or things I'll find along the way.

In other news I found some really cool berserker armour.

But the level 2 upgrade requires Lynel hoofs.

Oh god I'm going to die so many times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to avoid spoiling myself but there are also things I don't want to miss.

I know the Master Sword is in the game and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the Lost Woods, but I've no idea of how to get through once I get up to the final torch markers. I don't want the solution, but I would like to know if the solution will be hinted at in the course of the game itself.

Similarly I know the Hylian Shield exists somewhere, but I've no idea of where to find it. Again, my question is, if I just play the game will hints come up telling me where it is?

Long story short I want to know if the solutions to these things are bullshit I need to look up or things I'll find along the way.

For your second spoiler: the shield is in a place you will definitely go to at some point over the course of the game. There's no quest to get it, but you can find it as treasure somewhere that you're definitely going to go.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The hint to the lost woods is everywhere around you while in the Lost woods.
The location of the Hylian Shield is also obvious in retrospect. Don't wanna spoil anything more.

I got the chest, uh shoulder and happy trail body paint piece of the berserker armor. Any idea where the rest is?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Lynel basic melee attack is pretty exploitable in terms of flurry. Backflip, if you don't get flurry backflip again because it is a double attack so you have another chance. Make yourself as strong an attack+ potion as you can and wear your new attack+ armor.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Observation is key to the first one.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Accidentally discovered shield surfing.

All those useless Bolo Shields are about to get SHREDDED. Unleash your inner Legolas on the mountains.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shield surfing never seems to work for me. Link jumps on the shield and then jumps right off. Is there a button I need to be holding? Is the place I'm at just not hilly enough?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I want to marry Sidon so he can give me rides every night.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gibbering posted:

I want to marry Sidon so he can give me rides every night.

I liked Sidon. Maybe as much as Groose. Dude looked like he was going to fulfill the useless faux brave and haughty but actually cowardly royal guy but he really was that well liked and noble and he really did step up to bat the entire time you're in Zora's Domain

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sakurazuka posted:

My go-to has been elixirs using 1 Meat + 1 "Critter" + 3 higher value monster parts (guts are best, if you have them; fangs otherwise.) No cooking luck needed there, they are consistently good for 100+ rupees, usually much more.

Invest in the full stealth Sheikah outfit ASAP to make critter grabbing easier and you'll be stacking rupees to the ceiling in no time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm at work and I'm just counting the hours until my lunch break so I can play my switch in the car :)

This loving game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's really minor but I'm kinda surprised how streamlined changing my armor is. pop on my stealth gear to hunt for stuff, then in less than two seconds I can quickly shift to my climbing gear, attack gear, or whatever other gear set I need to get things done. It's seamless, it's fast, and it really adds to the experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kashuno posted:

It's really minor but I'm kinda surprised how streamlined changing my armor is. pop on my stealth gear to hunt for stuff, then in less than two seconds I can quickly shift to my climbing gear, attack gear, or whatever other gear set I need to get things done. It's seamless, it's fast, and it really adds to the experience.
I wish there was just one button to switch entire sets because changing every part is annoying when I change every part every time anyway. That's insanely petty to actually get annoyed about though so i won't

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Dude looked like he was going to fulfill the useless faux brave and haughty but actually cowardly royal guy but he really was that well liked and noble and he really did step up to bat the entire time you're in Zora's Domain

And he's so positive! :kimchi:

Pollyanna posted:

The more DLC they come out with the better. I wish there was more stuff I could put in my house.

For real, the DLC potential of this game is massive. The engine is so good, the world is so huge. They could add enemy types, quests, shrines, equipment types (perhaps some super fancy unbreakable stuff, give me a boomerang that doesn't break!), more areas and of course, most importantly, more fashion.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd like a DLC where the moon is falling please.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man the Typhlos Ruins is a huge dark souls reference and it owns.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It really seems like the game is driving home (timeline) The events of Ocarina of Time happened.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Anyone have a definitive list of cooking ingredients, meals, etc? I'm in the process of making an "cooking guide" app, and the current wikis are spotty at best. Plus, there's a lot of variations not covered since they end up giving the same effects or whatever, but for completions' sake I want to get all of them in there. Right now, I'm going by http://orcz.com/Breath_of_the_Wild:_Recipes , a couple of Japanese sites, and just playing the Wii U version by myself and doing a lot of "mix, memo, reload". Heck, I even checked the game assets to see if I could find the text data and for the ingredient and meal names, but no luck...

The process for determining what meal it results in is pretty complicated. I know that it makes for an interesting system, but from a programming standpoint it makes it tough to figure out the rules.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for activating a blood moon just as I had almost killed a lynel and restoring his health to full

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dehry posted:

It really seems like the game is driving home (timeline) The events of Ocarina of Time happened.
I feel like this game is set so far in the future (Calamity Ganon first came around 10,000 years ago and got brutally blown up by robots, presumably there'd been a long period of peace before that in order to reach that level of advancement) that it could be literally any or all timelines, which I like. The rock salt references a great sea now gone, one of the memories mentions the Twilight Realm and the events of Skyward Sword I wonder if somebody at Nintendo regrets coming up with an official timeline split guide and wants to draw a line under it

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

parallelodad posted:

The bullshit I've been noticing lately is rain though.

I think rain is a fine mechanic, and some of the areas have forced rain to make you figure out how to get through it without climbing, and that's fine. But lately I've been running into areas where the rain was random and seemed to last absurdly long, like over a day of in game time, before finally stopping. And once it finally stops, not stopping for long and restarting in less than a day. This seems especially bad in Akkala.

Rain is set to appear any time I have climbed about 3/4 up a mountain.

parallelodad posted:

The Lynel basic melee attack is pretty exploitable in terms of flurry. Backflip, if you don't get flurry backflip again because it is a double attack so you have another chance. Make yourself as strong an attack+ potion as you can and wear your new attack+ armor.

THe first one of these I fought was like fighting a literal tank. I broke every single one of my items and eventually had to face shoot it with all but my last 7 arrows. I did this why? because I wanted to get past it into a valley that it turns out was full of way worse stuff.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 8, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Everybody talks about how low weapon durability is in this game. Does it ever get better? As you go through the game, do you start finding things with more and more of a durability rating, meaning you have to repair or change out weapons less often?

Low weapon durability seems like a really cool idea in the early game when you're just coming across branches and junk like that, but it seems like the more substantial, well-crafted stuff should last a little longer.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GreatGreen posted:

Everybody talks about how low weapon durability is in this game. Does it ever get better? As you go through the game, do you start finding things with more and more of a durability rating, meaning you have to repair or change out weapons less often?

Low weapon durability seems like a really cool idea in the early game when you're just coming across branches and junk like that, but it seems like the more substantial, well-crafted stuff should last a little longer.

Yes and no. Some things definitely last longer than others - and there are even weapons with Durability+ I believe. But the point of the system is that the game showers you with weapons pretty constantly, and (mostly) nothing lasts forever. But really, it hasn't been a problem, because I'm constantly picking up new weapons.

also chucking a nearly broken weapon at your enemy will never not be satisfying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
gently caress you Korgu Chideh, I am glad you're dead and I intend to unholy the sacred waters of your Shrine with a spiteful steaming turd. gently caress you, gently caress your island, and gently caress you twice for not at least letting me keep my Hinox loot :argh:.

As a bit of non-spoilery advice for when you go out to Eventide Island, the ability from the Gerudo Divine Beast will make part of it a shitload more easier. just smash the Hinox with all three Fury charges and it'll fall over dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Still kind of early in the game but this has been nagging me. I know the Master Sword exists because you can see Link wearing it in the memories and I'm pretty sure about where it is. So I have a question: Is there a story quest that says to go get it or do you have to piece it together from some other source and just go for it?