Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

There's still a ton of pervasive macho bullshit going on, though. Like, why should rookies be treated differently? If they do their job well, they do their job well.

Even Bouton called it out as being moronic in Ball Four, and that was almost fifty years ago.

Its true in baseball just like its true in life. Doesn't make it right, but I cant imagine much changing in our lifetimes. It's the same in policing/fire fighting , gently caress even salesmen all treat the newbies like poo poo and its accepted by the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't throw poo poo if you don't want people bat flipping you.

God drat Right

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bruce Chen pitched in the WBC wearing dress shoes.

Baseball is awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

Baseball is awesome.

The whole Chinese team looks like they're wearing some sweet Florida-retiree orthopedic spikes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This is the only way to respond to getting a retaliative bean.

Then of course Arrieta turned into just a playable pitcher instead of lord of command.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The whole Chinese team looks like they're wearing some sweet Florida-retiree orthopedic spikes.

were they wearing Rockports?

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 8, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Your Taint posted:

Baseball is awesome.

And they replaced him with a guy with a fastball sitting 68-72 except when he threw 85 once in a while.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I just saw the video of Chih-Hao Chang's home run-- Even Taipei is ahead of the MLB in terms of styling their home runs.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

I had the Nats game on at lunch and man, Turner is awesome. Seems like he can pretty much steal at will? He might not be quite as fast as Billy Hamilton, but it takes him like one step to go from zero to top speed.

I don't think anyone is as fast as Hamilton, but Turner is very cool and exciting and if he can get on base at anywhere near the rate he put up last year he's going to be an absolute terror.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ego symphonic posted:

I don't think anyone is as fast as Hamilton

Terrance Gore :colbert: Just a shame he doesn't have any other baseball related skill.

Haha, I just looked it up and he has more than double the stolen bases as he does MLB plate appearances. 19 SBs, 9 PAs. 0 Hits, 0 Walks 2 HBP. 23 SB if we include the postseason. What a weird career.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 8, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dee Gordon might actually be faster than Hamilton in a H2H race? He is poo poo at stealing bases, though. The Marlins should have signed Rajai just to teach him how that works.

Turner could end up the best base stealer in the game right now in terms of both ability to do it often and do it efficiently.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The trade that sent Turner to Washington is still one that makes me laugh (mainly at Tampa.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The trade that sent Turner to Washington is still one that makes me laugh (mainly at Tampa.)

Hey, they got tickets for the Willy Adames and (eventually) Mallex Smith hype trains thanks to that trade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ego symphonic posted:

I don't think anyone is as fast as Hamilton

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1216908183/clemin-buxtons-time-to-first-base-fastest-in-2016

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1200954583/mincws-buxtons-1405second-insidethepark-homer

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1196109683/minkc-buxton-reaches-214-mph-on-standup-triple

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1178550783/detmin-buxton-sprints-22-mph-for-diving-grab/

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Why did you make the video of him grounding out to shortstop the first link :confused:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Read the bit from the statcast box

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: https://twitter.com/manbearwolf/status/839510952932335618

V: I was always mad at John Baker for being bad at baseball when he played for the Cubs but I am so impressed at how successful he is at being a compassionate human being. He really rises above the stereotypes I expect from bad former players who try to use machismo to cover for their inability to succeed as major leaguers. What he's doing with the Cubs, teaching mindfulness to help players both on and off the field, is pretty cool stuff and it's nice to see former players not descend into addiction and hitting people.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Looking through his Twitter John Baker seems like a cool dude I would wanna drink beers and go to the batting cage with.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

bawfuls posted:

in Texas, castle doctrine comes into play here and the pitcher is within his rights to shoot the trespasser with his constitutionally protected sidearm

In Texas it is a constitutionally mandated firearm*

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Looking through his Twitter John Baker seems like a cool dude I would wanna drink beers and go to the batting cage with.

I have never seen a worse player more beloved by fans and it seems like it always traveled with him. The degree to how bad he was at hitting cannot be stressed enough.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
look at this fuckin' bat flip:

https://twitter.com/nessalimon/status/835672677151031297/video/1

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I have never seen a worse player more beloved by fans and it seems like it always traveled with him. The degree to how bad he was at hitting cannot be stressed enough.

I remember his very brief stint with the Cubs and he was not good. But he did pitch a scoreless 16th inning and then scored a run to win the game in the bottom half, that was awesome.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Just for curiosity's sake, how do all y'all feel about hockey fights?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Are good and cool, both players are consenting and aware of the fight. A pitcher throwing at a guy is entirely one sided and the hitter usually isn't aware it's about to happen.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Beautiful. :allears:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Are good and cool, both players are consenting and aware of the fight. A pitcher throwing at a guy is entirely one sided and the hitter usually isn't aware it's about to happen.

Additionally, most hockey fights I've seen involve guys mostly grabbing jerseys and throwing really weak punches. I doubt guys come out with so much as a black eye half the time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it looks like Tebow will get a PA against the reigning Cy Young champion today. heh

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

enthusiastic supporter as both a viewer and former relatively frequent participant

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

they're stupid and keep players who otherwise have no business being in the league employed

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dakota Limon is a pretty great name for a baseball player.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Really dumb and I hate them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

Are good and cool, both players are consenting and aware of the fight.

Eh, they're pretty bad. Just for what it does to guys brains, some of those enforcers end up just as punch drunk as if they were boxers. For an overall benefit to the health of players I'd rather see fighting in hockey banned than throwing at players banned.

Not that it matters, hockey will never change it. And I suppose the majority of the guys who fight a lot probably wouldn't be NHL players if they didn't fight.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bewbies posted:

So it looks like Tebow will get a PA against the reigning Cy Young champion today. heh

I know it's terrible of me but I really want him to launch one just to keep this circus going for a while longer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, they're pretty bad. Just for what it does to guys brains, some of those enforcers end up just as punch drunk as if they were boxers. For an overall benefit to the health of players I'd rather see fighting in hockey banned than throwing at players banned.

Not that it matters, hockey will never change it. And I suppose the majority of the guys who fight a lot probably wouldn't be NHL players if they didn't fight.

Yeah I guess "cool and good" is a bad way to word that. But it's a known risk between two willing participants and I don't see that much of a difference between a hockey fight and boxing in that regard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

I know it's terrible of me but I really want him to launch one just to keep this circus going for a while longer.

I've talked so much poo poo about him leading up to today he's going to hit for the cycle.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Yeah I guess "cool and good" is a bad way to word that. But it's a known risk between two willing participants and I don't see that much of a difference between a hockey fight and boxing in that regard.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hockey fights don't ensue because someone celebrated a little too much after scoring or after a great save? They usually happen because someone hit an undersized prized center or winger too hard or messed with the goalie, which is a pretty vulnerable position and far too valuable to risk getting thrown out.

That's a pretty big difference from baseball where fights happen because people get their feelings hurt.

I'm all for keeping sports about sports and not about fighting people but there's a pretty big difference between the two. Also, just to point out, doesn't the rest of the world play without body checking or did I misunderstand that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tadashi posted:

Also, just to point out, doesn't the rest of the world play without body checking or did I misunderstand that?

As far as I know the only competitive (as in, like professional or semi-pro) leagues that don't have body checking are the women's leagues. Well, roller hockey if you count that I guess.

e: Checking's in the NCAA's rules too, although they're more likely to penalize for lesser infractions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a little less issue with hockey fights since there's implied consent between them, but they still constitute a dumb macho culture that surround sports.

Enforcers are the hockey equivalents of grit, scrap & hustle MLB players that arouse blue collar fans that contribute to sportswide CTE issues. I'd rather they weren't around either.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IcePhoenix posted:

they're stupid and keep players who otherwise have no business being in the league employed

OTOH, it led to this which is cool and good: http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/19/john-scott-nhl-all-star-game-fan-vote-trade-explainer

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tebow gonna lead off the bottom of the 3rd, praise the lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tebow gonna lead off the bottom of the 3rd, praise the lord

I'm really disappointed that I couldn't watch the Mets-Astros game instead, even though it seems like Gsellman kind of stunk out there. :smith:

• Locked thread