Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Didn't see it mentioned in the OP: aside from unplugging the AC adapter and taking it with you, what's the best option out there for on-the-go charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feenix posted:

2 Zelda Questions:

1) I'm early on... but I have run into a rock monster and a bunch of spider tank things. I avoided the tank walker things to get to the temple they were near... they seemed (as did the rock giant) to take no damage from my attacks. Are they just a " later" thing? Or was I not doing something right?

2) I found the 3 shrines easily enough... Stasis, Bomb and umm Magnet. I cannot find the 4th. Any help?

1) Rock Giant has a weak spot that you can probably figure out if you examine it. There is a trick to being able to actually get to said weak spot, though. Tank Walkers are a similar case, with a fairly obvious weak spot, but there are a couple of other moves you can use against them, too, which may not be obvious unless you think about how energy-based projectiles work in a lot of previous Zelda games.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nephzinho posted:

I'm like 70 shrines into BOTW and I'm really not sure where they take the series from here. I'm not sure how they top this without taking it in another completely new direction.
Exactly. Take the same engine, but instead of trying to one-up BotW at its own game, don't go bigger; go different, weirder and more intimate. A Majora's Mask to BotW's Ocarina of Time.

My game idea would be to create a new Zelda that actually stars Zelda. By day, she's a princess, going around governing and engaging in aristocratic political machinations ala Game of Thrones. Playing on the Zelda series' theme of different "dualities" (time, dimension, form), by night, she changes identity and goes out as Batman Sheik, the throne's shadowy and brutal enforcer, exploring, spying, intimidating, and -- when it's necessary -- assassinating.

The game world could be somewhat smaller but more interconnected, with Zelda and Sheik's impact on leaders and cultures reflected in the game world. Instead of a hang glider for traveling, they could expand the shield surfing idea with a Sheikah Slate rune that lets you do surfing more permanently, plus a short-range whip/grappling hook (like she has in Smash) that lets her swing from the ceiling ala Worms/Bionic Commando. Instead of a shield or two-handed weapons, Sheik dual-wields (including ranged weapons like throwing knives or crossbows), with a greater emphasis in combat on mobility, traps, and deception, as befits a ninja assassin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ethanol posted:

Exchange you desyncing joycons while you still have consumer rights during your return period

It's not a hardware problem on an individual basis in most instances. It's an inherent design problem so exchanging wouldn't actually do anything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man Disgaea is officially deader than disco.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My switch has a slightly wobbly right joycon when connected to the console. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with the rail built into the main body of the Switch itself, or with the connecter on the joycon. Has anyone tried swapping joycons to relieve the wobble?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

ethanol posted:

Exchange you desyncing joycons while you still have consumer rights during your return period

Going to try a few things today but that may be the result. The idea of clearing other wireless devices from the area when every single thing near it has wireless antenna of some sort (PS4 wifi/controllers, the TV itself, Wii, and the wifi in the home theater) isn't really an option.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Cicero posted:

Exactly. Take the same engine, but instead of trying to one-up BotW at its own game, don't go bigger; go different, weirder and more intimate. A Majora's Mask to BotW's Ocarina of Time.

My game idea would be to create a new Zelda that actually stars Zelda. By day, she's a princess, going around governing and engaging in aristocratic political machinations ala Game of Thrones. Playing on the Zelda series' theme of different "dualities" (time, dimension, form), by night, she changes identity and goes out as Batman Sheik, the throne's shadowy and brutal enforcer, exploring, spying, intimidating, and -- when it's necessary -- assassinating.

The game world could be somewhat smaller but more interconnected, with Zelda and Sheik's impact on leaders and cultures reflected in the game world. Instead of a hang glider for traveling, they could expand the shield surfing idea with a Sheikah Slate rune that lets you do surfing more permanently, plus a short-range whip/grappling hook (like she has in Smash) that lets her swing from the ceiling ala Worms/Bionic Commando. Instead of a shield or two-handed weapons, Sheik dual-wields (including ranged weapons like throwing knives or crossbows), with a greater emphasis in combat on mobility, traps, and deception, as befits a ninja assassin.

Ummmmmmmmmmm

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pureauthor posted:

Man Disgaea is officially deader than disco.

Is there something wrong with D5 Switch?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did anyone figure out the time interval for updating playtimes on the profile screen? Would really like to see what my Zelda clock is at.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cicero posted:

Nice ideas.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dr Cheeto posted:

Use spoiler tags you dweebs

E: thanks, forums friend

Better yet: go post Zelda spoilers in the Zelda thread!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nintendo: "Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video 'will come in time' to the Switch."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cool.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

Is there something wrong with D5 Switch?

5K sales 1st week in Japan.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Gunder posted:

My switch has a slightly wobbly right joycon when connected to the console. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with the rail built into the main body of the Switch itself, or with the connecter on the joycon. Has anyone tried swapping joycons to relieve the wobble?

No personal experience, but have seen videos where people got a new set of joycons and the wobble was gone. but who knows on a case by case basis. That said, if anything breaks in that department, I expect the joycons to first. However, if the Switch's rail slots get bent, then no joycon swap would fix it.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
why is there no virtual console on the switch

Wendell
May 11, 2003

HyperPuma posted:

why is there no virtual console on the switch

I don't know, why?

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
So i tried to copy over my Miis through amiibo. Every one was successful except for my two Miis that are registered to nintendo IDs. Is this a known issue? I've seen plenty of videos and guides that say you can do it, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. The switch says no mii is registered to this amiibo. I even checked the Mii and thought maybe it's because i have copying turned off. Turned that on, still same issue. At this point I just don't care, but seems odd. I figured if my Mii is registered to my nintendo ID it would have just imported it when I logged in. Then again.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Wendell posted:

I don't know, why?

having too many games probably confuses the messaging

people see it in the store and they think oh god now i need to decide which game to buy and they get scared and leave

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

1) Rock Giant has a weak spot that you can probably figure out if you examine it. There is a trick to being able to actually get to said weak spot, though. Tank Walkers are a similar case, with a fairly obvious weak spot, but there are a couple of other moves you can use against them, too, which may not be obvious unless you think about how energy-based projectiles work in a lot of previous Zelda games.

What was the trick. I just jumped at it repeatedly until I latched on then jumped up and beat it with sticks.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

HyperPuma posted:

having too many games probably confuses the messaging

people see it in the store and they think oh god now i need to decide which game to buy and they get scared and leave

Kind of a dry punchline...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bum the Sad posted:

What was the trick. I just jumped at it repeatedly until I latched on then jumped up and beat it with sticks.

You can blow up its arms with bombs, and then it will be forced to lower its whole body down to make new arms. It's really easy to climb up onto its head from there and then just kill it with the Sledgehammer Charged Attack.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hyperpuma wants a switch so bad

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

You can blow up its arms with bombs, and then it will be forced to lower its whole body down to make new arms. It's really easy to climb up onto its head from there and then just kill it with the Sledgehammer Charged Attack.

Hahaha yeah that's why more elegant then me just spamming jump underneath it. My way worked though damnit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

Hyperpuma wants a switch so bad

Wants a switch across his rear end!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I posted this just a bit ago, but for the rock guy, just find a higher ground and paraglide on top of him to smash his weak spot with melee, i figure that out after throwing bombs at him for 5 minutes, lol

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I just shot his mineral rock part with an arrow to knock him down, shot an ice arrow to cool off his body, climbed onto him Shadow of the Colossus style then beat on the weak spot. You can even stay on him for a bit after he rights himself up before he reignites his fire.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I posted this just a bit ago, but for the rock guy, just find a higher ground and paraglide on top of him to smash his weak spot with melee, i figure that out after throwing bombs at him for 5 minutes, lol

Or you can literally just mash jump at his crotch. I killed him like 30 minutes into the game like this.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Keep in mind that whacking weapons (like hammers) work better on rocks than cutting/stabbing weapons

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Also, I'm really pleased that there are like 5 different perfectly usable ways to kill that monster. Zelda is good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I need to start hoarding hammers, they're so very useful and they always break at inopportune times

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pureauthor posted:

5K sales 1st week in Japan.

Lol no way, those numbers can't be right.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So you can now you use your Joycons and Pro Controllers with your NES mini thanks to this - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/you_can_now_use_your_switch_joy-cons_on_your_nes_classic_mini

Now, if only I could purchase one of the loving things I'll be golden.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lol no way, those numbers can't be right.

I mean D5 was a 2015 game that has historically never been on a Nintendo system. It doesn't seem surprising at all. More importantly it also first launched on PS4 which is still a beast.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Apparently the Switch sold 105k units in France during its first week. In comparison with the Wii, that sold 95k in its first week there. Also BOTW has about a 90% attach rate, unsurprisingly.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Bum the Sad posted:

Or you can literally just mash jump at his crotch. I killed him like 30 minutes into the game like this.

I tried that before and got instakilled somehow. Maybe one of hos attacks has splash damage, or maybe it's when he gets back up?

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Cerepol posted:

I mean D5 was a 2015 game that has historically never been on a Nintendo system. It doesn't seem surprising at all. More importantly it also first launched on PS4 which is still a beast.

There was a disgaea DS game but I guess that was a long time ago.

I want to buy D5, think I'm going to order a physical copy from Amazon Japan.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Feenix posted:

If you're in the Seattle area, like 15 targets for pro controllers near closing last night and have stock as of 7 am

I went to 4 stores last night including two targets and couldn't find any. Got a nice hori hard case at Fry's, though.

Come play switch on my rooftop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today was a slow day at work so I bought my Switch upstairs to my office (I work from home taking glass claims calls). Then it became a SUPER slow day and my Switch's battery started to falter.

So I built a dock out of my daughter's Duplo so I could play and charge at the same time. Works great!

• Locked thread