Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Pure, unadulterated, popcorn chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Antivehicular posted:

No, no, you see, the Council of Dudes Dictating What Female Sexuality Really Is have theories, and none of them involve outre ideas like "female genitalia isn't a mysterious puzzle box" or "the way a woman orgasms and what stimulation works for her is probably just physiological quirks and not the secret key to her psyche"

aww poo poo the other Dudes on the Council are never gonna let me live this down. also I'm late on my dues :sweatdrop:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Society posted:

Please don't meltdown about your posting history, it gets into the carpet and this thread was just cleaned

lmbo

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Huggybear posted:

LOL, what a sad little creep hahaha. Yeah I post in the running thread in YLLS, sometimes the Trump and ME threads, and lurk in the Misogynoir thread to send cute and uplifting things to my (aaahh! the horror!!) black, feminist girlfriend.

Anything else you want to know, rage baby, how about you, where else on these forums are you so tragically triggered so I can laugh at you some more

is this deja vu

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

datajugend posted:

is this deja vu

I don't know, did the previous thing you quoted happen a goddamn month ago lol

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

woah thats true

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Im a picky eater and i feel so loving guilty and ashamed of it, i dont understand these people that dont understand that that is entirely their problem. If the menu doesnt have your chicken nuggies and potato happy faces at the 5 star restaurant, that's not on them and you dont get to be mad at the world.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Play posted:

aww poo poo the other Dudes on the Council are never gonna let me live this down. also I'm late on my dues :sweatdrop:

Never be in arrears with Dude dues.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
What is the cut off between someone who doesn't like a certain single produce and a picky eater?

The point where you start needing to declare what it is you actually like instead of the other way around?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Haifisch posted:

Went looking for an OP to post, found a comment that was funnier than any of them:

Salt, well known to kill flavors instead of enhance them.

(the OP is a mundane "my SO is a womanchild who lives off pizza and fried food" post)

picky eaters, get a partner who will put a spoon in your face until you eat the loving food

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kullik posted:

Im a picky eater and i feel so loving guilty and ashamed of it, i dont understand these people that dont understand that that is entirely their problem. If the menu doesnt have your chicken nuggies and potato happy faces at the 5 star restaurant, that's not on them and you dont get to be mad at the world.

This. I've mostly gotten over my pickiness after working on it for a long time and gently caress those people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

Could be worse. At least you're not raising a kid that's not yours, I hear they kick you right out for that :ohdear:

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Mirthless posted:

picky eaters, get a partner who will put a spoon in your face until you eat the loving food

I think people forcing poo poo on other people is sort of what causes the issue in the first place, so forcing food down someones neck and making them feel worse about it isnt really an effective solution.

Not to say that it's ok and good to be a dick to people because you want your ketchup and crisp sandwiches with the crust cut off.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Haifisch posted:

I'm getting the vibe that he's internalized 'picky eater' as a fundamental part of who he is, instead of seeing it as a problematic trait he can work on fixing. This also makes it everyone else's problem when they fail to cater to him, instead of him creating the problem in the first place.

I'm no psychologist but the impression I got from that comment was more that he had fixated on eating whatever he wants as a fundamental and crucial part of adulthood, which is honestly just as sad as self-identifying as a picky eater.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

What is the cut off between someone who doesn't like a certain single produce and a picky eater?

The point where you start needing to declare what it is you actually like instead of the other way around?

It's when your preferences start annoying other people. "We can't go to *that* restaurant," "let me tell you again how much I hate condiments" and on and on and on.

Nearly everyone has some common foodstuff they'd prefer not to eat, but most people don't plan social outings around avoiding it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Am I a picky eater for not like the "standard" toppings/condiments that come on most burgers/sandwiches? I feel like there was a big meeting where everyone decided that lettuce/pickle/tomato/onions/mayo/etc must be on all burgers by default and I missed it.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Kullik posted:

I think people forcing poo poo on other people is sort of what causes the issue in the first place, so forcing food down someones neck and making them feel worse about it isnt really an effective solution.

It absolutely does. At least in my case. I've been making good progress, but I gotta be the one to make the decision, not someone else.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you are capable of ordering a plain burger without making GBS threads up dinner for everyone else at the table you are not the problem.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WampaLord posted:

Am I a picky eater for not like the "standard" toppings/condiments that come on most burgers/sandwiches? I feel like there was a big meeting where everyone decided that lettuce/pickle/tomato/onions/mayo/etc must be on all burgers by default and I missed it.

burger places don't use good veggies mostly so they have those terrible little white onion chunks that stick to everything and three solid inches of old moist lettuce

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
This is making me think about how sushi purists cluck their tongues at "Americanized" sushi rolls that are deep fried as if Japan doesn't deep fry everything and then cover it in room temperature mayo and sometimes also corn

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
When Hiking Goes Wrong

My life-long best friend [32 M] and I [32 M] Took a six-month backpacking trip together and it ruined our friendship. What do I do?

quote:

My best friend and I had been planning a trip to hike the Appalachian Trail for around ten years but things just hadn't been lining up. Last year, he told me that his wife wants to start a family and it's now or never. If I couldn't come along, he was going to have to go without me.

After serious deliberation, I quit my job and decided to jump in with both feet. I was having a great time for around four months but it turns out that he really didn't think I was going to come along and he had pretty much decided he wanted to go it alone. I only discovered this six months AFTER we both finished, but I digress.

It seemed like we were kind of drifting apart for a few weeks and then I got a bombshell. He had started sleeping with a girl we were hiking with. I'd warned him about getting close to her on several occasions and he assured me they had a talk about it and they were fine as friends.

Long story short, I told him he was being an rear end in a top hat and he should feel like an rear end in a top hat. We parted ways and we finished separately.
It gets more complicated than that but I won't drone on forever. important points were:
He told me not to tell his wife and that he would do it when he got back. Six months on and that hasn't happened.
She's a friend of mine as well

He's now planning to hike ANOTHER long trail (with his new mistress) and his wife still does not know
What the hell do I do here? We'd never even so much as had a heated argument in 28 years of friendship. I don't want to lose my best friend but I never knew he was capable of lying to people he claims to love before.

tl;dr: Went on a six month hiking trip with my best friend, he started cheating on his wife, we had a fight about it and finished the trip separately, he's now planning to do another long trail with his fuckbuddy and his wife still doesn't know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thus further entrenching "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" as a synonym for "cheating on your wife."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
gently caress his mistress

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

It's when your preferences start annoying other people. "We can't go to *that* restaurant," "let me tell you again how much I hate condiments" and on and on and on.

Nearly everyone has some common foodstuff they'd prefer not to eat, but most people don't plan social outings around avoiding it.
I think this is a good way to approach it. I'm not the best eater and have been working to expand my palette as I was a pretty picky eater when I was younger, but I never put that on anyone else. If people were going out to dinner I would just find something on the menu I'd like wherever we went (the only time this is really difficult is seafood restaurants since I don't like seafood still, but there's usually something on the menu I'll eat or I'll just skip out on that dinner if everyone is dying to go), if I went to someone's house I eat what they make because they went through the trouble of cooking for me so I just deal.

Basically so long as you're not at the extreme levels of picky eating and don't make a big stink about it, most people won't give a poo poo what you eat. Of course there's still the health side of being a picky eater...

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I read this as "sushi preists" and it was humorous. i imagine they have long flowing seaweed robes and burn rice instead of incense.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^ummmm that's amazing

Lockback posted:

When Hiking Goes Wrong

My life-long best friend [32 M] and I [32 M] Took a six-month backpacking trip together and it ruined our friendship. What do I do?

1.Tell wife
2.Plan elaborate horror movie style trick to spring on him and his mistress using something like Blair Witch as inspo
3.Jump out from the bushes in a perfectly crafted A-Ha! Moment
4. Bang wife

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kullik posted:

I read this as "sushi preists" and it was humorous. i imagine they have long flowing seaweed robes and burn rice instead of incense.

Do they give communion with sake and slivers of pickled ginger?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lockback posted:

When Hiking Goes Wrong

tell wife while he's on the second hike so she has time to move all her poo poo out before he gets back

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sushi didn't even have salmon until the 70s, where salmon is clearly the Best Sushi.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I was a pretty picky eater when I was young, but around age 10 I started being more open to the foods around me, and around age 18 I started actively ordering things I've never had. One particular food I still don't like is raw onion, and my parents still give me poo poo and call me a picky eater when I order things without onion. Nevermind that I eat every other vegetable on the plate, that I'm trying escargot, gator, sea urchin, and other things I would have never touched 10 years ago, and that I can actually cook meals that everyone likes now. No, I'm still an rear end in a top hat picky eater because raw onions suck.

My [21 M] 'best friend'/roommate [21 M] keeps making threats towards my girlfriend [20 F] and other women. I have reported him to the school and police, but I am going to have to tough it out until the end of the semester.

quote:

Mike and I had been best friends since elementary school, but our friendship came to an end last week when the bulk of this situation occurred. We went to the same high school and now we are roommates together at university. We share an off-campus apartment with two more of our fraternity brothers and we all have our own leases, which is why I'm stuck living with him for the time being.

Mike has always been a nerdy, quiet guy and he has never had a girlfriend or even had a kiss despite being an attractive guy. He gets super awkward around women and he freezes and can't speak to them out of fear of rejection. My friends and I have tried to hook him up with women before, with no luck. We are all in a fraternity, which makes the situation worse since Mike feels like he is entitled to dating women in the sororities.

A few months ago, me and the girl I've been seeing became exclusive and Mike has become increasingly aggressive towards us and other random women. Last week, we had a party in our apartment and lots of people came over to party with us, including my girlfriend and her girl friends. Mike tried to hit on the girl friends and they politely rejected him. Mike got drunk and belligerent and the night ended after he threatened to pull an 'Elliot Rodgers' on my girlfriend and her friends. Myself and our frat brothers ended the party after the threat and we gave all the girls rides home for safety.

I reported Mike to the school and my apartment company for the threats and my girlfriend filed a police report, but I have been told there is nothing they can do for me. Since Mike never threatened me directly, I can't move rooms (this is not a dorm room, it's off campus student housing with leases) or report him for harassment. My girlfriend can because she was threatened, but I can't. I've spoken to numerous staff at the police station and the school about this and I'm going to have to tough it out until May when my lease ends.

My question is, how should I handle this until May 10th when my lease ends? My girlfriend lives on campus and I can spend the night with her about half the time, but not every night. She and my other roommate's girlfriend are not going to come over to the apartment until we move away from Mike and we have all agreed to stop having parties for the time being. But still, I don't know how to interact with him if I do go back to my apartment to grab clean clothes or whatever. I'm a much bigger man than he is and I could easily kick his rear end, but I'd rather not resort to violence if I don't have to.

Any advice is welcome.

tl;dr: My ex 'best friend'/roommate has never had a girlfriend, is angry about it. Me and our other roommates had a party, best friend threatened to kill the girls who came (including my gf) because they rejected him. Girlfriend filed a police report and reported him to the school, but I can't break my lease until May. Not sure how to handle interacting with him until the lease ends

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Sushi didn't even have salmon until the 70s, where salmon is clearly the Best Sushi.

I felt pretty smug about not having a picky eating problem until this made me realize hell the gently caress no it's white tuna or I'm leaving.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

54 40 or gently caress posted:

This is making me think about how sushi purists cluck their tongues at "Americanized" sushi rolls that are deep fried as if Japan doesn't deep fry everything and then cover it in room temperature mayo and sometimes also corn

My problem with those giant silly rolls is less the tempura and more that they're usually drenched in sickly-sweet sugar sauce (now THAT is Americanization) but for me it's a personal preference and not an attempt to defend anime-land from my fellow round-eye heathens.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pick posted:

You mean Eel but I get where you're coming from.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Kullik posted:

yeah, i was really picky as a kid/teen but i forced myself to get over it, and my intolerance of spicy food, before i moved to another country. i think the only food i cannot stand these days is anything with perilla/sesame leaves.

i've known a couple of fairly pleasant people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) who just.... can't seem to eat anything, even when their pickiness clearly makes them miserable. i am pretty sure every one of those people are on the spectrum so i try not to be a total rear end in a top hat about it.

Pick posted:

tuna.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Pick posted:

yellowtail would like a word w/ u

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The Japanese loving love Western food. As soon as the Portuguese introduced frying to them, they started deep frying everything they could get their hands on. Same with manufacturing hard candy from sugar, then making carbonated soda, then hamburgers/Salisbury steak. It's gotten some Japanese purists pissed, too.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't read the one about the dude threatening the OP's gf but the solution to everything of that nature is for his body to be found broken on the train tracks with a bottle in his hand

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I Was The Fury posted:

I was a pretty picky eater when I was young, but around age 10 I started being more open to the foods around me, and around age 18 I started actively ordering things I've never had. One particular food I still don't like is raw onion, and my parents still give me poo poo and call me a picky eater when I order things without onion. Nevermind that I eat every other vegetable on the plate, that I'm trying escargot, gator, sea urchin, and other things I would have never touched 10 years ago, and that I can actually cook meals that everyone likes now. No, I'm still an rear end in a top hat picky eater because raw onions suck.

My [21 M] 'best friend'/roommate [21 M] keeps making threats towards my girlfriend [20 F] and other women. I have reported him to the school and police, but I am going to have to tough it out until the end of the semester.

Sorry about your jerk parents.

The guy in the post might be able to get his roommate kicked out of their apartment if he and all the other guys all go to the apartment office together. His behavior is making all of them uncomfortable and disrupting life in the apartment. Might not work if they can't find him an apartment to move to, so he may just have to tough it out for 3 months.

Edit: Couldn't they at the very least get him kicked out of the frat for that?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I Was The Fury posted:

This feels like social progress because I'm pretty sure a few years ago all the frat boys would've been coddling that miserable incel sadsack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I Was The Fury posted:

I wonder if there's a post on r/incels related to this which uses the phrase "i thought you were cool, turns out you're just another chad"