Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

I'll have to take your word for this as you haven't provided a link to the report.

It's not like it's on wikipedia or anything
https://aliceperry.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/labour-nec-report-january-2017/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

That blog post is the report? I expected something a bit more substantial than

quote:

Labour Party Membership

Labour has an impressive 540,000 members – a significant increase on this time last year. Membership peaked at just over 550,000 in July 2016. Membership figures will rise and fall at various points in the year.

Especially as it gives no breakdown or clarification of what sort of members it's referring to.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

You weren't able to find it either, were you.

There's literally two NEC member reports on the January NEC meeting on the first page of search results which both give the membership figures.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

That blog post is the report? I expected something a bit more substantial than

Especially as it gives no breakdown or clarification of what sort of members it's referring to.

There's also this from another NEC member http://www.leftfutures.org/2017/01/peter-willsman-reports-from-labours-january-executive/

quote:

Iain and other senior officers presented a small booklet which analysed in detail the membership data. The membership at the 1 January was 543,645. This is the highest figure on Labour Party records.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

There's literally two NEC member reports on the January NEC meeting on the first page of search results which both give the membership figures.

Like i said, when you referred to a 'report' I expected something with a bit more detail than that.

And it still leaves us without evidence about what proportion of labour income is derived from membership fees. We'll probably have to wait a year.

Sounds like we need that booklet containing the detailed analysis rather than people blogging about its existence.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pochoclo posted:

I didn't read that - reporting on the actual budget's effects seems to be terrible. I was commenting on the quoted comment though. I guess it's fine as long as it's progressive.

I still think large accumulations of wealth and high incomes should be taxed more aggressively. I'm happy to pay more myself if it means they tax capital gains on the order of my income as if it was income.

EDIT:

According to the BBC these Class 4 contributions which are being increased only go up to £43,000. Anything you earn above that is taxed at a flat 2%. Which is bullshit.

Abolishing the Class 2 contributions helps out the poorer self employed but the set up of Class 4 is dreadful. I know NICs all have this weird cap but it's so loving irritating and pointless; is there really any value to not have it operate closer to normal taxation?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Like i said, when you referred to a 'report' I expected something with a bit more detail than that.

And it still leaves us without evidence about what proportion of labour income is derived from membership fees. We'll probably have to wait a year.

Sounds like we need that booklet containing the detailed analysis rather than people blogging about its existence.

The fact is that only the most absurd estimates of how many members pay a reduced rate would prove your point.

Anyway;

https://twitter.com/DavidJo52951945/status/839188384413286400

Why the hell is Caroline Lucas, of all people, in the front of the dumb meme?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

why do you keep arguing with him does nobody learn their lesson
It's been said we keep voting in Tories because the British public loves misery and pain, and I think the amount of time people spend arguing pointless minutiae with Pissflaps shows they maybe have a point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Toryprojections.png

https://twitter.com/MattWhittakerRF/status/839479830496292864

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidJo52951945/status/839188384413286400

Why the hell is Caroline Lucas, of all people, in the front of the dumb meme?

Can't help but notice that Jeremy isn't in it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

No reason to stick to silly stuff like "facts" and "reality" when you see someone like Trump outright lie about every single thing saying everything will be great and awesome and people eating all of it.

"Haha yeah, so, I know I'm building this 60 billion pound warchest for Brexit but it doesn't mean we'll actually need it haha, also I'll raise taxes on the poor to finance it, thanks bye."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lunar Suite posted:

Considering the other member state have successfully tackled the problem according to the linked article, I don't think it's an unfeasible "death of a thousand cuts" situation.
It's possible that the other member states don't believe the Port of Guangzhou as often when a smartphone comes through with a customs sticker for $5, or they have better funded customs departments to detect that kind of thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tory manifesto, 2015:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Good lord. Everyone click this and check the other graphs; Tory mismanagement of the economy has totally hosed any recovery since 2008, the stupidly optimistic productivity growth forecasts still indicate growth slowing in the coming years and if you want to be a doomsayer the employment figures are just turning downwards which is very, very bad.

Pissflaps posted:

Can't help but notice that Jeremy isn't in it.

Because he whipped the Labour Party to vote for it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

Tory manifesto, 2015:

A clear break of a simple manifesto commitment? The opposition must be having a field day with this. Giving the Tories a good shoeing.

Right.

Right?

namesake posted:

Because he whipped the Labour Party to vote for it?

You might be on to something there.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

A clear break of a simple manifesto commitment? The opposition must be having a field day with this. Giving the Tories a good shoeing.

Right.

Right?

You might be on to something there.

It's not a break of a commitment, it's just an alternative fulfillment.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Fangz posted:

Toryprojections.png
The OBR staff are politically neutral and have produced forecasts that were awkward for Tory chancellors in the past. The pre-2010 forecasts in that chart would have been based on Gordon Brown's spending plans; the revisions after Gideon took over and went for full-on austerity rather than stimulus are perfectly reasonable.

e: more OBR stuff

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/839504511592984576

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/839504795786412034

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 8, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can I get a job in statistics if I learn to draw 45 degree lines on the end of graphs of actual data?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

LemonDrizzle posted:

The OBR staff are politically neutral and have produced forecasts that were awkward for Tory chancellors in the past. The pre-2010 forecasts in that chart would have been based on Gordon Brown's spending plans; the revisions after Gideon took over and went for full-on austerity rather than stimulus are perfectly reasonable.

However 'politically neutral' they are they have to work according to assumptions supplied to them by the treasury. That's why the projections are a joke. It's a way to launder tory lies into 'neutral' facts.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Agreed on the neutrality but you can't look at that particular graph and think anything but 'forecasts more than a year out are trash and shorter ones are probably also trash'. Modelling real economies is basically impossible but I don't understand the mentality which consistently projects rocket trajectories which don't materialise outside of rapid industrialisation.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Can I get a job in statistics if I learn to draw 45 degree lines on the end of graphs of actual data?

Tories should hire Bitcoin "analysts". The UK economy is going up uP UP!!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Tories should hire Bitcoin "analysts". The UK economy is going up uP UP!!

i just coming t post this gently caress yOU!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

i just coming t post this gently caress yOU!!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

namesake posted:

Agreed on the neutrality but you can't look at that particular graph and think anything but 'forecasts more than a year out are trash and shorter ones are probably also trash'. Modelling real economies is basically impossible but I don't understand the mentality which consistently projects rocket trajectories which don't materialise outside of rapid industrialisation.

My understanding is that the OBR would ideally like folks to stop putting so much weight on their forecasts given how wide the confidence bands are on them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Now taking wagers that barring a snap GE we'll be back to 4 million unemployed by the time May is done.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

My understanding is that the OBR would ideally like folks to stop putting so much weight on their forecasts given how wide the confidence bands are on them.

While that's fair given the difficulty of their job if they want that to happen they should stop providing 'hard' figures and provide forecast ranges with the reason that it's impossible for them to just draw a line and be right.

All analysis on BBC so far is 'why didn't he talk about Brexit' and the tiny NI contribution change, we're literally doing better analysis ITT.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Terrible news - I've found a typo on page 22 of the new Private Eye, they've misspelt "Bukkake" as "Bukkaka"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Now taking wagers that barring a snap GE we'll be back to 4 million unemployed by the time May is done.
As in Theresa or as in before June?

I could be persuaded to believe either.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

namesake posted:

While that's fair given the difficulty of their job if they want that to happen they should stop providing 'hard' figures and provide forecast ranges with the reason that it's impossible for them to just draw a line and be right.

This shouldn't come as a surprise, but that is what they provide. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/KatieAllenGdn/status/839503208796028929

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

This shouldn't come as a surprise, but that is what they provide. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/KatieAllenGdn/status/839503208796028929

No I mean forget the (future) purple lines entirely, they're misleading when the level of accuracy is low.

Obviously they'd have to calculate them to get the forecast but they shouldn't appear in their presentations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

namesake posted:

No I mean forget the (future) purple lines entirely, they're misleading when the level of accuracy is low.

Obviously they'd have to calculate them to get the forecast but they shouldn't appear in their presentations.

Yeah, well, the OBR isn't as independent as they'd like to be and I imagine the Treasury would throw a poo poo-fit :(

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

namesake posted:

I know NICs all have this weird cap but it's so loving irritating and pointless; is there really any value to not have it operate closer to normal taxation?
inertia basically

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

We have to go deeper

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

namesake posted:

According to the BBC these Class 4 contributions which are being increased only go up to £43,000. Anything you earn above that is taxed at a flat 2%. Which is bullshit.

Abolishing the Class 2 contributions helps out the poorer self employed but the set up of Class 4 is dreadful. I know NICs all have this weird cap but it's so loving irritating and pointless; is there really any value to not have it operate closer to normal taxation?
It probably should be rolled into income tax but it'd be politically awkward because there are a lot of misconceptions about what NI is and pays for, plus the bad optics of apparently increasing most people's marginal rates of income tax by 12%.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"GDP growth for the next year is projected to be between -100% and +105%, so on average it's +2.5%, yeah, nothing wrong with this picture"

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Terrible news - I've found a typo on page 22 of the new Private Eye, they've misspelt "Bukkake" as "Bukkaka"

I got one of the Funny Old World stories in Private Eye this month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's just Hislop trying to pretend he's not knee deep in bukkake.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Watched a Stacey Dooley programme the other night. I know it's BBC3, but she's not very bright is she?

She recently went over to Japan to demand Anime be banned, asking a popular manga author "Why don’t you Japanese people follow what the UK does?"

To which he replied: "Why don’t you British people follow Japan, since we’re more civilized, and have lower crime rate than the UK?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I don't know if that's such a good burn though, I definitely wouldn't want to live in Japan - their workaholic culture is too extreme for my taste. They need to relax.

• Locked thread