Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, is there any good informative external information on how to break certain loops? Like Valks who do the same 4-5 hits (charging high into unblockable, sweep, overhead) over & over? Wish there was a visual indicator of when you can't block / parry a thing due to being GB'd or prone, the point at which your character can block again doesn't seem to be animation-consistent. Basically, I'm bored of dealing with Warden/Valk flowcharts (it's Vanilla SF4 Ken all over again) that if I don't let them flowchart, I murder them for free because they have no game awareness, but it's difficult to know how to get out of.

(Obviously, if you parry the first hit, you get to murder her, assuming you only get to block that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Also doesn't the Valk have an assassin like guard dash? I don't see it used much so I suspect it is punishable?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sogol posted:

Also doesn't the Valk have an assassin like guard dash? I don't see it used much so I suspect it is punishable?

The timing window for the guard deflect is really small, like much smaller than a parry, and might not be worth the risk.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
It doesn't do a whole lot of bleed, anyway, so she's better off parrying into her dumbass combo or just going for the one hit.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't mean the shoulder pin, which seems to be hard to time even for really good players and is blockable. I meant the Dodge Counter, which I think has the small window?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Dodge counter is just her blocking in the direction of her dodge. If you hit heavy after a successful dodge counter, it does shoulder pin. The window for blocking shoulder pin is small, so it's basically unblockable for most people.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shockeh posted:

So, is there any good informative external information on how to break certain loops? Like Valks who do the same 4-5 hits (charging high into unblockable, sweep, overhead) over & over? Wish there was a visual indicator of when you can't block / parry a thing due to being GB'd or prone, the point at which your character can block again doesn't seem to be animation-consistent. Basically, I'm bored of dealing with Warden/Valk flowcharts (it's Vanilla SF4 Ken all over again) that if I don't let them flowchart, I murder them for free because they have no game awareness, but it's difficult to know how to get out of.

(Obviously, if you parry the first hit, you get to murder her, assuming you only get to block that.)

Valk's combo basically works like this:
1. Hit with a chain initiator (usually blockable unless you've been punished or set up)
2. Follow with a second light attack (blockable)
3. Follow with the spear sweep (dodgeable unless you're in a corner, and sometimes even then)
4. Hit with an overhead heavy, which works as a new chain initiator and go back to step 1.

Steps one to three are a chain, so each one needs to go through for the next to follow. So basically to escape it, either block the second light attack, which resets you back to neutral, or dodge the sweep, which should give you an opportunity for a good punish. Sometimes when you fly far or she messes up the timing, you can also block the overhead heavy when you're prone.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Perestroika posted:

Valk's combo basically works like this:
1. Hit with a chain initiator (usually blockable unless you've been punished or set up)
2. Follow with a second light attack (blockable)
3. Follow with the spear sweep (dodgeable unless you're in a corner, and sometimes even then)
4. Hit with an overhead heavy, which works as a new chain initiator and go back to step 1.

Steps one to three are a chain, so each one needs to go through for the next to follow. So basically to escape it, either block the second light attack, which resets you back to neutral, or dodge the sweep, which should give you an opportunity for a good punish. Sometimes when you fly far or she messes up the timing, you can also block the overhead heavy when you're prone.

Do they actually 'combo' in FG terms? I.E If 1 hits, can you block 2, dodge 3, or are you locked in?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Shockeh posted:

Do they actually 'combo' in FG terms? I.E If 1 hits, can you block 2, dodge 3, or are you locked in?

Once you get a sweep the top heavy is guaranteed true combo style. but nothing before that is guaranteed. You can totally stop 2 and dodge 3.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Alternatively, you can bait an attack, do your charged jump back shield thing, sweep, and heavy. If you do it too much, people will start rolling back to avoid the sweep, but in a duel, it makes a difference.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Consider Nobushi, she's fairly similar to Kensei in a number of ways. She's got the same good range, a variety of dodge-attacks, good mobility, and once the enemy is bleeding her heavies hit extremely hard.

Absolutely this.
I thought I was the boss while I was dunking on scrublords as Kensei, and once matchmaking was putting me up against people who knew what they were doing, I switched to Nobushi and suddenly I can't stop winning

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Been thinking about the peacekeeper vs raider matchup and im wondering if it's because back dodge into head smack does so much stamina drain and a light whiff into area attack does a lot of damage with a long range that she cant match so she has to parry but most pks instinctively dodge attack.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Perestroika posted:

Consider Nobushi, she's fairly similar to Kensei in a number of ways. She's got the same good range, a variety of dodge-attacks, good mobility, and once the enemy is bleeding her heavies hit extremely hard.

Or follow your heart and go Conquerer. Slam nerds into lockers all day.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Frozenfries posted:

Ayy, me too. Connections are p. good. What platform are you on?

Pureisutashion foa

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone else notice that the patch has completely hosed up some of the customization colors? Like some that should be unlocked from the start are now locked, and some with shades of grey show up as red?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Play Nobushi because they're gonna buff classes that need it instead of nerf classes that need it. Nobushi has a lot more options than people think; the main issues are getting destroyed by having your super telegraphed light attacks get parried and hidden stance being super awkward.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Red Mundus posted:

I'm at an MMR where all I fight are hyper-defensive wardens who only vortex. Literally the last hour was nothing but wardens both in 1v1 and 2v2 and they all did the same thing: turtle, zone, and vortex. The only way I was able to reliably counter was to turtle myself and just hop around spinning my right stick in circles.

I tried to figure out what's happening and apparently I'm in top 3% berserker or some poo poo so I'm stuck fighting streamers and pros and it's absolute diarrhea. I think I'm done. High-level play is the hidden 10th circle of hell.

Yeah, I've been noticing this as well and apparently it turns out I'm a top 2% raider :confuoot:

I'm assuming that it's because most actually good players actively avoid that character.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

10 Beers posted:

As a complete layman, how can I go about making sure I have the best NAT?

I spent a couple hours forwarding ports and trying to fix my yellow NAT until I found out my new router doesn't have UPnP enabled by default. One checkbox and it's now green for me.

Otherwise, you'll need to look up some port-forwarding guides for your router. If that doesn't work your router probably just sucks.

Corn Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 8, 2017

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Valk 50% life combo = Parry your enemy > GB > Headbutt (This drains 100% of their stamina so they fall over from headbutt) > Follow up with dash forward + 2 light attacks > Sweep them off their feet > Top heavy. Back off as you will have <10 stamina.

Think this was posted earlier? Maybe not.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sogol posted:

Valk 50% life combo = Parry your enemy > GB > Headbutt (This drains 100% of their stamina so they fall over from headbutt) > Follow up with dash forward + 2 light attacks > Sweep them off their feet > Top heavy. Back off as you will have <10 stamina.

It was, better players can dodge the sweep.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I've been noticing this as well and apparently it turns out I'm a top 2% raider :confuoot:

I'm assuming that it's because most actually good players actively avoid that character.

How do you see your leaderboard like top% for x class?

E: is it some poo poo in uplay?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Red Mundus posted:

I tried to figure out what's happening and apparently I'm in top 3% berserker or some poo poo so I'm stuck fighting streamers and pros and it's absolute diarrhea. I think I'm done. High-level play is the hidden 10th circle of hell.

I'm really genuinely sorry that this casual-friendly fighting game doesn't have functional high-skill gameplay. I really mean that. Ultimately high-skill play brings in tons of people so I feel like this is a huge blow to the game's longevity.

Congrats on being really good, good. Especially with the Zerk. That's not an easy class.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

1500 posted:

Additionally, against certain enemies the parry does not confirm into a GB.

Nov 3, 2015

Perestroika posted:

As a Valk main, it seems like most of them.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Anecdotal but what I've experienced it appears to not confirm against ShogukiShrek and Lawbringerthe Lawman. Definitely confirms against raider, warden, pk, and orochi. Not sure about the others.

Forward dash GB can catch the two it doesn't auto-confirm against but of course that's techable.

Sivlan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 8, 2017

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Shugoki!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

1500 posted:

You don't even have to be better. Dodges are so quick in this game you can just jam A during the animation and usually get out of the way.

Good valks usually beat me with light attack spam and don't go for the big combo.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sogol posted:

Valks parry into headbutt isn't always a 100% stam drain, depends on the move that was parried. Still very good when you can get it though

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What is the trick to murdering fools with Shugoki, because I feel slow as poo poo and it seems to basically boil down to "did you manage to grab him? If yes, baseball bat, if not, try again but this time give him a hug and hope he doesn't dodge to the side."

The super armor really doesn't last very long.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Fuzz posted:

What is the trick to murdering fools with Shugoki, because I feel slow as poo poo and it seems to basically boil down to "did you manage to grab him? If yes, baseball bat, if not, try again but this time give him a hug and hope he doesn't dodge to the side."

Learn when to take a hit, basically. If you absorb a light with your armor you can trade a heavy. Slamurai can afford to trade, as long as you don't just give hits away.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fuzz posted:

The charged R2s will slaughter folks who can't parry. The light attack plus headbutt is super disorienting and stuns, even if there's no immediate way to punish them unless they're against a wall. The zone attack covers a shitton of distance and you can cancel the second swing.

Also the baseball bat is only the best option if you're in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise if you hit them into a wall you get a free demon's embrace.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They need to adjust conqueror honestly, I've been playing him a lot and it seems like hes good but has like, no actual offencive options. You basically have to wait till they attack you then abuse superior block or parry it to get damage off.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The jokes on you, the entire cast is like that! :mmmsmug:

I'm gonna give Nobushi a try though! Thanks, thread! I'll let you know how it all works out.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Drone_Fragger posted:

They need to adjust conqueror honestly, I've been playing him a lot and it seems like hes good but has like, no actual offencive options. You basically have to wait till they attack you then abuse superior block or parry it to get damage off.

I imagine he is one of the few characters actually meant to play that way, seeing that they removed feints from him.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Captain Beans posted:

I imagine he is one of the few characters actually meant to play that way, seeing that they removed feints from him.

You can do a sudo feint by using all block.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drone_Fragger posted:

The best way to force an opening as conqueror is either to dash->shield bash->light chain, full block (you just have to enter the stance)->shield bash->light chain, or whiff a heavy->shield bash->light chain. Basically try to hit opponents with your shield bash. If you miss it's no big deal since it's really difficult to punish. His light attack infinite also destroys players if they're bad at blocking or have a slower guard switch speed.

Nov 3, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

Conqueror actually is one of the more active attack heroes currently. He has one of the best offensive options. Shield bash and light attack spam. Sucks to fight it, but it does work.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You can also catch people with a whiff heavy into heavy if they're aggressive. The charged heavy has enough range that it's hard to punish if you space yourself correctly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the dodge window against Conq's shield bash is all kinds of fucky. Even when you know it's coming it's a total crapshoot, half the time he'll still track like a motherfucker. And to make matters more annoying, it appears to be entirely safe, too. Even dodge-attacks can't seem to guarantee a punish. It's really pretty drat obnoxious to fight against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the dodge window against Conq's shield bash is all kinds of fucky. Even when you know it's coming it's a total crapshoot, half the time he'll still track like a motherfucker. And to make matters more annoying, it appears to be entirely safe, too. Even dodge-attacks can't seem to guarantee a punish. It's really pretty drat obnoxious to fight against.

yep poo poo like this makes the game unfun when it's all you come up against :(