Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Imagine how much the 49ers are going to pay Cousins lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/839504419490156546

I literally can't think of a single less inspiring idea

Except maybe Osweiler

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sixteen million dollars for a receiver who can barely scrape together a 1000 yard season?

Like put the cap hit (which is significantly lower) aside for a minute and look at the above sentence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ehud posted:

If you can get an actual QB, it doesn't matter what you pay him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Boosh! posted:

I feel even better about the Marshall contract.

Are you able to structure deals where you can make 16m, 8m, 8m over 3 years as an example? I know SF is flush with cash but are there limits to increases/decreases in AAV like the NBA?

Sure, to pay out $32m scheduled like that you could do something like:

$12m signing bonus
y1: $12m base
y2: $4m base
y3: $4m base

That'll work out to the cap hits above. You can also make a bunch of that money a roster bonus that the team has to pay in year 2 in february/march and have that apply to the year 1 cap to protect the team even further.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

If you can get an actual QB, it doesn't matter what you pay him.

eh I don't know

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

fsif posted:

Welp, guess I better get started trying to memorize the spelling.

Just call him Juice, it's how we got around it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sixteen million dollars for a receiver who can barely scrape together a 1000 yard season?

Like put the cap hit (which is significantly lower) aside for a minute and look at the above sentence.

You overpay for guys when your team is bad, it's the only way to scrap together a decent roster until you can spend 3 years restocking in the draft

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I suppose on the bright side he hasn't been used a whole lot the last few years, but the most successful guy I can think of like that was Marcus Allen and he never ran for more than 900 yards after he was 32, with 207 being his highest carry year. He did get 46 TDs after that though, which is pretty impressive.

Curtis Martin ran for almost 1700 yards at 31 (a career high even) but then retired after putting up 735 yards in his 32 year old season.

Yeah, backs that are solid receivers do better, but the age cliff is ridiculous for running backs

Here's the # of RB to get 1000 Yards from scrimmage at older ages: (Marcus Allen is the 1). Note that 1000 YFS really isn't that amazing. That's a thing Danny Woodhead did last year (and I love me some Danny Woodhead, but nobody's paying out the rear end for that).

28: 103
29: 63
30: 51
31: 22
32: 13
33: 6
34: 3
35: 3
36: 1

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DariusLikewise posted:

You overpay for guys when your team is bad, it's the only way to scrap together a decent roster until you can spend 3 years restocking in the draft

Also bad teams usually have a ton of cap space, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Especially if you have some foresight so you aren't still paying them when you're hopefully trying to retain guys you drafted when their rookie deals run out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/johnjhendrix/status/839516378839269376

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

IMO Saints aren't very serious about moving him, they're just seeing if someone will give them a pants-on-the-head stupid offer.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ehud posted:

I hope he takes a below average deal just to spite the Redskins

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sean10mm posted:

IMO Saints aren't very serious about moving him, they're just seeing if someone will give them a pants-on-the-head stupid offer.

Shame Chip Kelly isnt around anymore. He would have probably traded Wentz for him

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cairo Santos got an original round tender.

Dan Sorensen got a 2nd round tender.

Albert Wilson gets nothing.

um how can Marshall do this:

https://twitter.com/BMarshall/status/839504794293309442

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sean10mm posted:

Also bad teams usually have a ton of cap space, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Especially if you have some foresight so you aren't still paying them when you're hopefully trying to retain guys you drafted when their rookie deals run out.

It ends up distorting the market, though. You think someone like OBJ is going to accept being paid only slightly more than Garcon when his contract is up next season?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The deal isn't technically done until the team signs as well from what I understand.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets and Niners in the Hoyer sweepstakes. :toot:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

No Butt Stuff posted:

Cairo Santos got an original round tender.

Dan Sorensen got a 2nd round tender.

Albert Wilson gets nothing.

um how can Marshall do this:

https://twitter.com/BMarshall/status/839504794293309442

Wasn't he released by the jets?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Players who have been cut can sign whenever, the other guys aren't technically free agents yet they're still under their expiring contracts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jets and Niners in the Hoyer sweepstakes. :toot:

The Jets are going to be completely unwatchable this season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

It ends up distorting the market, though. You think someone like OBJ is going to accept being paid only slightly more than Garcon when his contract is up next season?

Why should the Niners care what the Giants have to pay OBJ

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

sharknado slashfic posted:

When I wanted the Niners to get him I was ready to make "The Constant Consonant" a thing.

But instead we kept drunken old man beater Bruce Miller because you guys took him a spot before us.

Edit: also you dudes need to understand how contracts work. That Garcon contract isn't weird. Mort put it in an awkward way to make the Niners look stupid.

If you have a basic, fundamental grasp of NFL contracts it's not weird at all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

I thought Ray Lewis was the double murderin' Raven

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839521769975316481

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Good for him! He seems to be happy there, so that's pretty awesome

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cool for Jones, deserves the payday.

Also, probably bullshit, but if so, good on Kirk for trashing his trade value so thoroughly and the 49ers for taking advantage:

https://twitter.com/49ersSportsTalk/status/839307813440585728/photo/1

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, signing guys to deals that are easy to get out of in 3 years or so to prop up the team now is a pretty good strategy, even if the contracts look awful now it's better than signing nobody and going 2-14 with 90 million in cap space.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Kalli posted:

Also, probably bullshit, but if so, good on Kirk for trashing his trade value so thoroughly and the 49ers for taking advantage:

Niners possibly keeping the 2nd overall pick while grabbing a franchise QB? Wow

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao if the Redskins give Cousins away for a 2nd and 3rd

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao if the Redskins give Cousins away for a 2nd and 3rd

If someone pays more than that for Jimmy G then double lol

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

If someone pays more than that for Jimmy G then double lol
Triple lol if it's the Redskins

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Kalli posted:

Sashi get on the phones ASAP, we can beat this and keep our firsts and get a better QB than Grapes. GO GO GO!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839532282222379009

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

Man, can the Texans still jump in and offer their first and third or something?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

drat, he was supposedly in the mix for Buffalo.

I would have thought “Come play for Tyrod, or maybe not Tyrod” would be a stronger pitch.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839533253967106049

:chloe:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/AJBOUYE21/status/113761388249362432

heh

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Man, can the Texans still jump in and offer their first and third or something?

Michael Corleone posted:

Sashi get on the phones ASAP, we can beat this and keep our firsts and get a better QB than Grapes. GO GO GO!

The thing with this being this cheap is that Kirk said he will only sign an extension with the 49ers. He completely torpedoed his trade value for Washington because that whole situation is an awful mess.

If this is true, then Kirk is kind of a genius to end up traded somewhere that doesn't have to burn the future down to get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hi I haven't paid attention to any combine/free agency/offseason news, what funny poo poo have I missed?

• Locked thread