Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is it a safe assumption to assume that once boxes are actually being opened inquisition of Kozalik will go closer to the 2-3 dollar range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ShaneB posted:

If anyone needed Dark Confidant, Noble Hierarch, Karn, Fulminator Mage, etc, and didn't instantly purchase them when the full spoiler got released, I dunno what to tell you.
"Good job resisting the urge to spend money on cardboard!"

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The urge is strong for me to pull the trigger on stuff now seeing prices this low, but I think they can go further down.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ShaneB posted:

God, they could at least open a box with friends and just provide all the cards for a sealed event or draft. Even if they keep them, anything but just cracking them...

I buy a box of everything and open it just for the gently caress of it. Masters sets are hysterically funny to open when you have disposable income.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its a very popular sideboard card that sees 3-4 copies in the board.

As you can see, the most popular competitive modern deck uses it as well as about every deck with black in it atm. It shouldn't be surprising. I also warned you guys 2 days ago.

It also has no other close alternative. Molten rain is a complete downgrade that has no synergy with k command and sees little to no play. So many decks are running 4 instead of 3 as well.

The crystal commerce issue has made supply dry up from stores as well. This only accelerated the rise of price though. Instead of 3 weeks its 3 days. Probably won't go cheaper than 25 when the issues are resolved.

ok im legit shocked to see it in so many lists. wtf

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is the best way for Jund to play around its weakest match-ups. And it is the best land destruction spell in Modern.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

If anyone needed Dark Confidant, Noble Hierarch, Karn, Fulminator Mage, etc, and didn't instantly purchase them when the full spoiler got released, I dunno what to tell you.

"there's some nice people in china willing to meet the demand that wizard's refuses to"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

little munchkin posted:

"there's some nice people in china willing to meet the demand that wizard's refuses to"

I hope a reactionary movement calling for no more sleeves in magic (because then players would be able to tell fakes in a tournament setting!) comes around.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope a reactionary movement calling for no more sleeves in magic (because then players would be able to tell fakes in a tournament setting!) comes around.

And the increased wear on the cards would increase demand for non-lovely ones, driving up prices. This'll be the next Frontier!!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

mcmagic posted:

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice
2 Highland Lake
5 Island
6 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole
SB: 3 Dispel
SB: 2 Fiery Temper
SB: 2 Nahiri's Wrath
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Release the Gremlins
SB: 2 Wretched Gryff
SB: 1 Lightning Axe
SB: 1 Key to the City

This is running 5 tempers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Retromancer posted:

This is running 5 tempers.

Someone pointed that out before. It was a typo. One of the tempers in the board should be a Shock.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Shortest Path posted:

And the increased wear on the cards would increase demand for non-lovely ones, driving up prices. This'll be the next Frontier!!
*rotates through my 6 remaining copies of underground sea*
Hmmm, this one's been bend tested 6 times in tournaments to prove authenticity, it's getting there...
*carefully eyes the NM copy*

Has WOTC acknowledged the more recent fakes? The only article I can find on the actual site is this one from 2004: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/buyer-beware-2004-04-26

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

I have a feeling this would result in more rip-tested authentic cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

*rotates through my 6 remaining copies of underground sea*
Hmmm, this one's been bend tested 6 times in tournaments to prove authenticity, it's getting there...
*carefully eyes the NM copy*

Has WOTC acknowledged the more recent fakes? The only article I can find on the actual site is this one from 2004: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/buyer-beware-2004-04-26

Fun fact, you can actually send cards to WOTC to have them checked out.

No, wotc has talked about fakes very little for obvious reasons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

odiv posted:

I have a feeling this would result in more rip-tested authentic cards.

:mrgw:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

No, wotc has talked about fakes very little for obvious reasons.

We did this when we found fakes in our community (combined with an investigation into the person they were found on)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

We did this when we found fakes in our community (combined with an investigation into the person they were found on)

"Where did you get these fakes son?"

"I traded for them. I guess got ripped off."

Investigation foiled again! :argh:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

"Where did you get these fakes son?"

"I traded for them. I guess got ripped off."

Investigation foiled again! :argh:

It really didn't take very long to find out where someone who suddenly appeared with all the modern money cards but can't afford a bus fare to FNM got them, especially when they're an idiot and bragged to all their mates.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

It really didn't take very long to find out where someone who suddenly appeared with all the modern money cards but can't afford a bus fare to FNM got them, especially when they're an idiot and bragged to all their mates.

I wish the lack of funds for basic adult things was a sign of not being able to pay for magic cards. A facebook group for a LGS close to my hometown is low income and full of begging for rides to fnm each week. One individual begs for himself and his wife (2 kids, who knows where they go during this time) for a ride each week because he doesn't have a car. He does however seem to have the ability to trade for all the hot standard staples at a given time and swapped between expensive decks constantly. I am sure he is a mtgfinance savant and not an irresponsible person spending what little money he has on magic cards.

But yeah, investigation seem like they are pretty easy if the person confesses to you or someone else.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
We're dangerously close to another thread-favorite "poor people are not allowed to pay for anything fun" slapfight so can we just pretend that already happened and move on to something else.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
"And so maybe rather than getting that new tier-1 Modern deck that they just love and they want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest that in their own healthcare," Chaffetz continued.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Playing with fake cards is fine and as long as they're not trying to trade or sell them who gives a poo poo

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

Playing with fake cards is fine and as long as they're not trying to trade or sell them who gives a poo poo

:agreed:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

This, really

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I actually didn't copy and paste that post but I truly feel this way.

There are some cool younger kids at our local FNM who play semi budget decks or a couple of the known decks with single cards and other budget options because they're like 16-20 and I don't feel like that should be excluded from a Modern event because they can't afford to spend $700 or more on a deck. I know others feel different and I don't meant to turn it into an 80'sJH hottake but for FNM or saturday store level events who really loving cares

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Spend less on candles.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mehall posted:

Spend less on candles.

no

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

What exactly are you """investigating""" about a dude playing Magic the Gathering?

Unless he was trying to pass them off as real to sell them, in which case gently caress that guy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

What exactly are you """investigating""" about a dude playing Magic the Gathering?

Unless he was trying to pass them off as real to sell them, in which case gently caress that guy.

He is a judge and he feels he needs to defend WOTC's ip because

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

mfcrocker posted:

Was this the guy with long black hair and piercings who turned up with 4 oddly pale Future Sight Goyfs at the front of his binder, then got called out by Dom on a fake Stifle (of all things)?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

Was this the guy with long black hair and piercings who turned up with 4 oddly pale Future Sight Goyfs at the front of his binder, then got called out by Dom on a fake Stifle (of all things)?

I am hard pressed to believe there has ever been a counterfiet ever made of stifle from any big printer. Unless this person is attempting to make them themselves it was real.

Goyfs on the other hand have had issues with the shade of green being just right on those proxies.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

not that i care but i thought proxy talk was kinda verboten or something

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dehtraen posted:

"And so maybe rather than getting that new tier-1 Modern deck that they just love and they want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest that in their own healthcare," Chaffetz continued.

:golfclap:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Talking about where you can get counterfeits is against the rules, talking about them as they pertain to the game is not.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ShaneB posted:

No Mods No Masters

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dehtraen posted:

:allears: This is great.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sickening posted:

I just checked!!

quote:

Unfortunately, Wizards of the Coast does not provide any sort of authentication service.

Here is an article to on how to identify counterfeit cards:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/buyer-beware-2004-04-26

Another option would be to take your cards to your local game store for authentication.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

I just checked!!

People still talk about sending cards to WOTC and having them checked out very recently. Either these people are liars (possible) or WOTC website isn't up to date (very possible).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Help make vertical cycles https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789848&goto=lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

When I was on chemo I was not allowed to drive within a few days of receiving each treatment, so I asked for rides to fnm. It was unsafe for me to drive but not unsafe for me to play with cardboard. There are more reasons than money to not drive.

• Locked thread