Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Any Palestinian who joins the IDF can vote" is to me, despite being literally Starship Troopers, an acceptable improvement to the status quo.

It also won't happen.

I forgot that was the plot of Starship Troopers and now I think this whole business is even more ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Starship Troopers (the movie) is a rather flimsy allegory to Israel\Palestine or Vietnam or pretty much any colonialist struggle presented as a defensive war anyway.

It's a good movie and whenever I see people say it's a glorification of war I just want to smash my head into a wall.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Starship Troopers (the movie) is a rather flimsy allegory to Israel\Palestine or Vietnam or pretty much any colonialist struggle presented as a defensive war anyway.

It's a good movie and whenever I see people say it's a glorification of war I just want to smash my head into a wall.

Who could have ever thought that Paul Verhoeven could be too subtle for some people. It boggles the mind that anyone could see that movie as anything other than a blatant satire attacking fascism, jingoism and war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
happy page 88! :godwinning:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Mods please leave the I/P thread up until page 1488, tyvm.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Miftan posted:

Mods please leave the I/P thread up until page 1488, tyvm.

Oh I'm sure the whole situation will be resolved by then.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Hope none of the haters have plans to travel to Israel lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/world/middleeast/israel-knesset-vote-boycott-bds-reform-judaism.html?_r=0

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Oh noes, the state I'm boycotting refuses to let me break my boycott by vacationing there... :rolleyes:

This is just going to further isolate Israel by making its government look even more blatantly like the terrified regressive horror show it is.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Only democracy in the Middle East! A proud example for everyone.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Well poo poo, so much for my spring break plans.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ah poo poo, looks like I can still go. Only a couple more years until I can renounce my citizenship!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They aren't the only country that denies visas to hostile foreigners are they though?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I'm sure there are other countries that ban critics though I don't think it's good company.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
drat, there go my plans for an anti-Zionist Sixth Aliyah. I guess it's Aliyah Gimel now.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

like that ban will actually affect anybody who posts here

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

They aren't the only country that denies visas to hostile foreigners are they though?

I think there's a difference between being a public critic and being "hostile."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This might come off as a dumb question but an earlier related thread talked about rockets being improvised using urine for rocket fuel, is that actually real?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It makes it a heck of a lot more difficult for foreign activists and aid workers to visit the settlements or the Palestinian territories. Israel recently denied a visa to a Human Rights Watch official, too. And, of course, because of its broad wording and applicability, it hurts Palestinians worst of all:

quote:

While the law appears geared primarily at foreign nationals, it in fact directly threatens Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza who apply for permits to reside in Israel with their families, enter the country for humanitarian reasons, or who have been living in Israel’s 1948 borders for a long time yet have not obtained permanent residency status (those who applied for permanent residency for the purpose of family reunification had the process frozen by Israel in 2003).

It means that Palestinians from the occupied territories who seek to enter Israel on humanitarian grounds — for example for medical treatment or to visit a sick family member — may simply be barred on grounds of their political opinion.

It remains unclear just how the Israeli border authorities will determine whether somebody supports a boycott. But the law’s political message is clear: if you oppose Israel’s occupation and subjugation of the Palestinian people, you shouldn’t be allowed in, even if your opposition is entirely non-violent. This is Israel’s way of treating Palestinians as foreigners in their own home — to stem the most effective form of non-violent resistance to the occupation, for which Palestinians with no citizenship living under occupation have a vested interest in advocating.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hakimashou posted:

Criticism is hostile. A bold stance to take, certainly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TheKingofSprings posted:

This might come off as a dumb question but an earlier related thread talked about rockets being improvised using urine for rocket fuel, is that actually real?

There's info here - https://www.quora.com/What-material...shipped-to-Gaza

Urine can be used in the process of making an oxidizer but many Hamas rockets are not quite the low-tech homemade affair they're often presented as in certain circles. In general I'm pretty sure the homemade Qassam rockets are made with fertilizers, I don't know if urine is really a part of it or not.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's info here - https://www.quora.com/What-material...shipped-to-Gaza

Urine can be used in the process of making an oxidizer but many Hamas rockets are not quite the low-tech homemade affair they're often presented as in certain circles. In general I'm pretty sure the homemade Qassam rockets are made with fertilizers, I don't know if urine is really a part of it or not.

They were told to "junk 'em" and someone misheard.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
After what Europeans did to the Jews I don't blame them for being a little suspicious of foreign "critics."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

hakimashou posted:

After what Europeans did to the Jews I don't blame them for being a little suspicious of foreign "critics."

The state of Israel isn't the whole of jewish peoples. For instance, there are ethopian jews there too, who have been targeted by the state of israel in non-consensual temporary sterilization efforts - a form of genocide. That's not being 'a little suspicious' of 'critics' for security's sake. Unless you think that the potential ethopian jewish children were critics that posed an existential threat to the state of israel for some reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

I take exception to conflating Israel's actions with some unified Jewish will. I and many other people somehow manage to be Jewish without simultaneously being an authoritarian rear end in a top hat, and the same is true for many of the Jews who live in Israel.

It's usually pretty obvious when criticism of Israel is motivated by antisemitism (and sometimes it certainly is!), so there's no need to be suspicious of the intentions of every single person who criticizes Israel. Certain language usually makes it obvious (in particular blaming Jewish people for Israel's crimes is usually a sign that the person is motivated by antisemitism).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

If you're implying anti-Semitism, go ahead and hurl your accusations already. Or are you saying that past injustices excuse current injustices? Either way, come on out and say it already, instead of beating around the bush with vague yet sinister one-sentence remarks. State your position instead of making people guess at it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodatose posted:

The state of Israel isn't the whole of jewish peoples. For instance, there are ethopian jews there too, who have been targeted by the state of israel in non-consensual temporary sterilization efforts - a form of genocide. That's not being 'a little suspicious' of 'critics' for security's sake. Unless you think that the potential ethopian jewish children were critics that posed an existential threat to the state of israel for some reason.

The Ethiopian thing was shady as gently caress, but it doesn't appear to have been a deliberate, concerted state action. Just a bunch of doctors being assholes in an environment that tacitly encourages assholery towards Ethiopian Jews.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rodatose posted:

Genocide? Are you loving freebasing heroin? If that was true it'd be beyond stupid and racist, but it's largely been debunked in this very thread by Israeli leftists.

Anyway, there's a strong analogy to made between Netanyahu and Trump in that both are wildly unpopular, and even when they were elected, a majority of voters would have preferred for their chief opponents to be heads of government. We have the electoral college. In Israel, the leading vote getting party gets the first chance to form a government, so two of the centrist parties (well Kulanu is, YB is more just a blatant corruption ploy) who would have preferred to caucus with Zionist Union are instead bought off by Likud. Both Netanyahu and Trump cater only to their small chunks of the electorate, and are similarly unrepresentative of the whole of their countries.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i hope i'm still allowed to go to israel

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i hope i'm still allowed to go to israel

The more important question is whether Israel will be able to come to you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Palestine-Israel in the Trump Era - a panel discussion at Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs.

Sorry if no one else much cares but I first was introduced to this channel on this board when someone linked to a speech by a man named Mark Blyth who explained the rise of anti-establishment fervor in the world. I subscribed to the channel after that and this just popped up. I tend to find the videos pretty interesting and informative so maybe someone else would like to see it.

If nothing else, introducing all the speakers and their works is great for expanding my reading list on this topic. The struggle against American imperialism in particular sounds right up my alley.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We've been having our own Trump in charge since 2009.

I'd say it's actually worse because our Trump is a fair bit shrewd and has some notion of political strategy and long term thinking.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

We've been having our own Trump in charge since 2009.
1996 actually.

But seriously, beyond "right wing rear end in a top hat" and "populist, for a very specific definition of populist", how are the two at all similar?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Xander77 posted:

But seriously, beyond "right wing rear end in a top hat" and "populist, for a very specific definition of populist", how are the two at all similar?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Demagogue, cartoon villain, terrible comb over, dog whistling and race baiting, islamophobia and 'clash of civilizations' nonsense, newspeak enthusiasts, extravagant hedonism, abject slaves to moloch, etc.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is Bibi a Kremlin whore as well?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That would be awkward considering Russia's relationship with Syria.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
With any luck they'll get to share the same jail cell.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

Genocide? Are you loving freebasing heroin? If that was true it'd be beyond stupid and racist, but it's largely been debunked in this very thread by Israeli leftists.

Anyway, there's a strong analogy to made between Netanyahu and Trump in that both are wildly unpopular, and even when they were elected, a majority of voters would have preferred for their chief opponents to be heads of government. We have the electoral college. In Israel, the leading vote getting party gets the first chance to form a government, so two of the centrist parties (well Kulanu is, YB is more just a blatant corruption ploy) who would have preferred to caucus with Zionist Union are instead bought off by Likud. Both Netanyahu and Trump cater only to their small chunks of the electorate, and are similarly unrepresentative of the whole of their countries.

"We were not attempting to genocide them. We were merely attempting to prevent their demographic from ever having any children, without their consent, and only got caught when someone noticed their birth rate had dropped through the floor with no explanation."

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I think the point was that it wasn't institutional. It was just a bunch of shifty doctors being racist assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Miftan posted:

I think the point was that it wasn't institutional. It was just a bunch of shifty doctors being racist assholes.

A Likud government couldn't find anyone to say "this is official immigration policy." For that level of institutional, sure.

It was an institutional enough problem, however, that, the way it was uncovered was someone asking the question "why, exactly, have ethiopian immigrants to Israel ceased having children. at all" instead of any Israeli medical professional asking why, exactly, sterilization treatments were suddenly part of Standard Immigration Procedure.

Best way I can put it is that if Abu Ghraib constituted institutionalized torture, this constituted an attempt at genocide.

And when your best defense for a charge of genocide is "it depends on what you mean by institutionalized," ~weeeeellll~