Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Serf posted:

Clearly they had their own advanced civilization in a previous cycle and sent over their own arks to Andromeda.

maybe they're actually native to andromeda and made their way to the milky way from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If Cerberus turns out to be the main bad guys of the andromeda series I'm done

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

i wouldn't put anything beyond bioware at this point

Serf
May 5, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

maybe they're actually native to andromeda and made their way to the milky way from there

:aaaaa:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i wouldn't put anything beyond bioware at this point

Pulling the rug out from under them and going "uhhhhh they're actually all indoctrinated and are the bad guys" was the worst thing that me3 did plotwise, and there's a lot of competition for that honor

I don't doubt that they'll pop up in at least a cameo role, since Cora clearly seems to be TIM's daughter but hopefully they at least won't be major players in this one

There was no reason for Cerberus to be as much of a thing as they were in the OT

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guess I have to preorder this assuredly terrible game now.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ainsley McTree posted:

That would be stupid as poo poo and extremely disappointing, but the idea of a small cell of them working undercover to sabotage and undermine the non-human arks could actually be interesting if done well.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

What really steams my buns is that we're going to the Andromeda Galaxy when there are dozens of smaller galaxies that are much closer. Tore away my ability to feel human etc.

Just got a note back from marketing saying "Mass Effect: Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal" isn't going to fly with our target demo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i give it a nonzero chance that some of the reapers that were hanging out in the black between galaxies decided it made as much sense to go towards andromeda as it did the milky way as a end game twist nothing is impossible

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FunkMonkey posted:

That would be stupid as poo poo and extremely disappointing, but the idea of a small cell of them working undercover to sabotage and undermine the non-human arks could actually be interesting if done well.

I would tolerate one, maybe two side missions of this but they really need to forget Cerberus ever happened

At least if they do show up, they won't be indoctrinated this time and might actually be interesting?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ages posted:

Just got a note back from marketing saying "Mass Effect: Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal" isn't going to fly with our target demo

loving suits know nothing about hard sci fi

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

IcePhoenix posted:

Maybe the butterfly was dreaming it was you

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

gmo-free companions only

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't care whether Cerberus is in this. I would play a Mass Effect: Shadowrun Initiative game and do corp runs all day if they let me, using space wizard powers to throw people out of buildings would be good fun. It would make sense to have them be kind of an East India Company in the game.

Also wait a sec

This game takes place a long time after the events of Mass Effect? But they've been in cryo sleep since around the events of the first three? Maybe even before? I kind of gloss over stuff you guys care about that I don't care about as much. Anyway, if that's the case, maybe Cora's not TIM's daughter. Maybe she's his mother.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

SgtSteel91 posted:

Aren't they plants that fly in space until they land on a planet?

Yeah, just have one who flew thousands of years from the Milkey Way and landed on a planet in Andromeda

2.5 million light years. If thresher maws have a biological FTL capability combined with super hibernation I am...impressed by the environment that evolved those capabilities.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Looking into it Walters has said this:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/798742467231305728

which doesn't make sense given that the Andromeda Initiative was going on for years and years before Shepherd became a name, but currently we have "not likely" for Cerberus involvement.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

which doesn't make sense given that the Andromeda Initiative was going on for years and years before Shepherd became a name, but currently we have "not likely" for Cerberus involvement.

Not a shock. That Mass Effect timeline makes a ton of no sense. I wouldn't think too hard about it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

2.5 million light years. If thresher maws have a biological FTL capability combined with super hibernation I am...impressed by the environment that evolved those capabilities.

To be fair, one of the major sentient species in the galaxy evolved to be blue spacebabes to every species and live for thousands of years. Mass Effect is about as soft as sci-fi gets.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Biotic Threasher Maw :aaaaa:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Skippy McPants posted:

Not a shock. That Mass Effect timeline makes a ton of no sense. I wouldn't think too hard about it.

Yeah, I won't. Makes about as much sense as every other Cerby thing in the games, anyway.

"Lol, let's see what happens when we release thesher maws on a special forces unit!"

*Everyone dies*

"Intriguing!"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You thought Tuchanka was tough, wait till you see the thresher maw homeworld.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

homullus posted:

I don't care whether Cerberus is in this. I would play a Mass Effect: Shadowrun Initiative game and do corp runs all day if they let me, using space wizard powers to throw people out of buildings would be good fun. It would make sense to have them be kind of an East India Company in the game.

Also wait a sec

This game takes place a long time after the events of Mass Effect? But they've been in cryo sleep since around the events of the first three? Maybe even before? I kind of gloss over stuff you guys care about that I don't care about as much. Anyway, if that's the case, maybe Cora's not TIM's daughter. Maybe she's his mother.

i'm as much into dismissing the plot details of a bioware game as wholly irrelevant as the next person but considering the basic premise for the entirety of this new series an ignorable detail is pretty impressive

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

homullus posted:

Also wait a sec

The Arcs launch between ME 2 and 3, most likely case is either Cora being TIM's daughter or clone

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Outside chance, younger sister.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

The Arcs launch between ME 2 and 3, most likely case is either Cora being TIM's daughter or clone

Yeah, but that's when they launch. I guess they could wait until T-30 minutes to freeze people, but it's plausible they'd test the tech on people before they hit the big red button.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

CottonWolf posted:

You thought Tuchanka was tough, wait till you see the thresher maw homeworld.

Their cave art is gorgeous.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Ryder will harpoon a thresher maw and ryde it to the Kett home world.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i give it a nonzero chance that some of the reapers that were hanging out in the black between galaxies decided it made as much sense to go towards andromeda as it did the milky way as a end game twist nothing is impossible

One of the only things they've been willing to confirm without reservation is no Reapers.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Can I gently caress a red sand dealer in return for product to feed my habit

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Besides the Catalyst was programmed to preserve all life in the Mikley Way galaxy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Admiral Ray posted:

Well, when you talk to EDI in ME2's endgame she goes over Cerberus' funding and power structure, there aren't that many projects running at once because TIM prefers to be very hands on with what's going on. He probably wouldn't support the Andromeda initiative for several reasons. He wouldn't live to see the outcome, it was too multi-racial, it wasn't actually going to support earth, and by the time the AI launched, he was already probably drinking the blue kool-aid.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

The entire point of Andromeda is to jettison the toxic elements of Mass Effect (the ending and by extension the Reapers) while keeping the parts everyone loves.

They're not gonna bring back the Reapers, period. Cerberus and TIM might be indirectly referenced but that's it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

homullus posted:

Yeah, but that's when they launch. I guess they could wait until T-30 minutes to freeze people, but it's plausible they'd test the tech on people before they hit the big red button.

She would have to be like eighty to be his mother

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Maybe she's secretly asari

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes but not for her historical research, for becoming a crime boss. It remains weird.

Not really, because it's not saying she made presentations on reapers to the council itself or taught classes about them or some poo poo in a university. Dadryder has an audio log made by someone very important to research into the reapers. There's a good chance it would have been recovered from the wreck of the original Normandy and added to archives available to researchers once the reapers became real to the rest of the galaxy, especially since Liara would have seemingly disappeared immediately after that. It's not really that weird he'd have it if he needed to be aware of the reapers when they made their exit from the milky way, and the fact that it's readily available on his desk the way we find it kind of says that was the case.

Also part of her becoming a crime boss was very few people knew who she was, so that's a weird argument.

exquisite tea posted:

And I wrote my thesis on 17th century French theatre but world governments aren't calling me up and asking me what I thought about Tartuffe.

And when Tartuffe appears to purge the galaxy of all life, maybe they will.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Have we heard any Angarans speak before? Based on the one in that video I'm imagining that the whole species speak in cheerful Cor Blimey Guv'nor accents, which would be amazing and horrifying.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Or -- stay with me here -- frozen for a long time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a flimsy connection because Liara isn't poo poo for most of the timeline this initiative is even being developed, and even when she is, nobody outside of the Normandy crew even knows that she's the Shadow Broker. Nobody gives a poo poo about her research into the Protheans, most of the galaxy isn't even aware of the Reaper threat at all. Regardless of any in-game continuity, the reason for including her VA is "we have no confidence people will like our game without it containing endless references to the original," so brace yourselves for many more tortuous callbacks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I didn't even recognize that was Liara's voice. She was always so generic sounding when she wasn't talking about murdering the poo poo out of someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

It's a flimsy connection because Liara isn't poo poo for most of the timeline this initiative is even being developed, and even when she is, nobody outside of the Normandy crew even knows that she's the Shadow Broker. Nobody gives a poo poo about her research into the Protheans, most of the galaxy isn't even aware of the Reaper threat at all. Regardless of any in-game continuity, the reason for including her VA is "we have no confidence people will like our game without it containing endless references to the original," so brace yourselves for many more tortuous callbacks.

I mean, so far as anyone knows pre-Javik a lot of her Prothean research gets validated, yeah? So if you were looking for someone for advice on "dead cultures" she'd probably be a person to consider