Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Don't think I've said it yet, but NASCAR dumbing down the engine noise is akin to the Cleveland Browns having an awful team and going "LET'S CHANGE THE UNIFORMS!". It might be nicer at tracks, but it's still not fixing the god drat aero package.

Good news, everyone! The number of 1.5 milers gained and lost next season will wash out:

http://jeffgluck.com/charlotte-motor-speedway-road-course-2018-playoffs/

Bad news(?): It's the Charlotte Roval. I'm glad the Glen and Sonoma are staying Summer races, though. MAH TRADITIONS!

They should have used new Hampshire's roval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong with a guy putting most of a field a lap down before halfway. My interest in NASCAR rapidly dropped once they started dropping debris cautions when it seemed like someone might stink up the show.

you know, if they're going to do this poo poo, I vastly prefer the stage system. at least everyone knows about them beforehand. if you're going to contrive poo poo to put on a good show, at least be transparent about it.

(good example: people complaining, pre-GWC that NASCAR was showing favoritism with throwing red flags on late cautions to ensure a green flag finish, so they made up a rule that any caution between 10-5 laps to go was an automatic red flag)

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

shyduck posted:

New Hampshire's fall race date is officially moving to LV starting next season.

God damnit there goes the only race I can go to each year.

Oh well at least Lee USA still exists.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm surprised it took this long for Bruton to indirectly gently caress Bob Bahre after the two of them hosed North Wilkesboro, to be quite honest.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

It's why so many people bitch about Kansas, Texas or Las Vegas and rarely poo poo on Charlotte and Atlanta directly. The typical NASCAR fan will bitch about 1.5's but would also howl in anger if you bulldozed those two because of "mah traditions"

They are also conveniently the perfect size for 150,000 seat grandstands

I'm from Atlanta and I would gladly bulldoze that shitpile after Smith kneecapped it and made it into a loving Charlotte clone. Also the reason 1.5 mile tri-ovals got popular is because it's shaped like a ball diamond only it's pointed at the finish line instead of home plate meaning people sitting on the front stretch don't have to crane their necks to see the race.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for Bruton to indirectly gently caress Bob Bahre after the two of them hosed North Wilkesboro, to be quite honest.

I dont get it. Bahre sold the track years ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

daslog posted:

I dont get it. Bahre sold the track years ago.

He did, but I seem to remember people expecting (myself included) him to buy Bahre's track and promptly exploit it for its date, which would go to Kentucky or Las Vegas.

It just took a decade for it to actually happen, which is a surprise given both of them bought NWS for the sole purpose of harvesting its dates and SMI later buying Rockingham for the same purpose.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ḙ̹̰̜͉̱͉N͔̤̹̭͕C̪U̸͓̫̻͈̳ͅMͅB̲̣͖͕E̷R̦̲̤̹͢E̵D̫͈͝ ͇͈̜FI̯̣̘͔̠̭N̙̰̖͟Ì̲͓̩S̨͈̤H͞

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/three-nascar-teams-incur-encumbered-finish-penalties-after-atlanta-880851/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
NO GMS why you cheating with the guest driver car. Better sell me some t shirts so you can pay that guys fine.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iospace posted:

see that would be them making a good decision and nascar is not in the business of good decision making

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

That roval is awesome and is underused.

love to see IMSA swing up there for it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I think SRA hosed up by not getting that Barstool Sports sponsorship. Could have had SRA on Pardon My Take.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

Following are the 20 nominees for induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame, listed alphabetically:

Davey Allison, won 19 times in NASCAR's premier (now Monster Energy NASCAR Cup) series, including the 1992 Daytona 500
Buddy Baker, won 19 times in NASCAR's premier series, including the Daytona 500 and Southern 500
Red Byron, first NASCAR premier series champion, in 1949
Ray Evernham, three-time NASCAR premier series championship crew chief
Red Farmer, three-time Late Model Sportsman champion; 1956 Modified champion
Ray Fox, legendary engine builder, crew chief and car owner
Joe Gibbs, combined for nine car owner championships in premier and XFINITY series
Ron Hornaday Jr., four-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion
Harry Hyde, 1970 NASCAR premier series championship crew chief
Alan Kulwicki, 1992 NASCAR premier series champion
Bobby Labonte, won a championship in both the premier series and XFINITY Series
Hershel McGriff, 1986 NASCAR west series champion
Roger Penske, combined for four car owner championships in premier and XFINITY series
Larry Phillips, only five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion
Jack Roush, five-time car owner champion in NASCAR's three national series
Ricky Rudd, won 23 times in NASCAR's premier series, including the 1997 Brickyard 400
Ken Squier, legendary radio and television broadcaster; inaugural winner/namesake of Squier-Hall Award for NASCAR Media Excellence
Mike Stefanik, winner of record-tying nine NASCAR championships
Waddell Wilson, won three NASCAR premier series championships as an engine builder
Robert Yates, won NASCAR premier series championship as both an engine builder and owner

The five nominees for the Landmark Award, listed alphabetically, are as follows...
Jim France, worked closely with father and NASCAR founder Bill France Sr.; current chairman of International Speedway Corporation
Janet Guthrie, the first female to compete in a NASCAR premier series superspeedway race
Alvin Hawkins, NASCAR's first flagman; established NASCAR racing at Bowman Gray Stadium with Bill France Sr.
Ralph Seagraves, formed groundbreaking Winston-NASCAR partnership as executive with R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
Ken Squier, legendary radio and television broadcaster; inaugural winner / namesake of Squier-Hall Award for NASCAR Media Excellence

Baker, Yates, Squier*, Stefanik, Hornaday, Rudd. Evernham and every car owner on the list are too recent.

*I think Squier should be in the HoF itself, but could also go in for the Landmark assuming they don't make it the Nepotism Award for Jim France.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
It would be a crime if Stefanik didn't get in.

Also, no Smokey, HoF continues to be a garbage fire.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Here's a fun read:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18856556

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

You know a series is healthy when Dale Jr has a single date free that needs sponsorship.

I mean maybe i'm overreacting but I bet when he was with Bud he would have been locked up for every weekend, right?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GMSRacingLLC/status/840214700684107778

Some of us may think the running gag of asking for merch may have gotten old but Spence. Spencer. Our Man Spence. SRA. We're so close. I'd bet you'd sell more 23 Allegiant Travel Chevy diecasts than those.

algebra testes posted:

You know a series is healthy when Dale Jr has a single date free that needs sponsorship.

I mean maybe i'm overreacting but I bet when he was with Bud he would have been locked up for every weekend, right?

That's back in the day when everybody pretty much had one sponsor save for a one-off for a company lucky enough to get a piece of a Jeff Gordon (Pepsi) or Junyer.

Even backmarkers had full-time sponsors.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
sell us hats sprinkler

e- Also backmarkers did have sponsors, but you don't remember that you almost never had a one off single race deal. Dude's would run 2/3rds of the year with a blank car and then lock up a deal for the rest of the year. Or start the year with a sponsor and then lose it. Teams would also just disappear and no one cared and there were far more teams that'd only show for big races with their one car and one of those rare "I'm sponsored for three races" deals. Some of the owners today feel like NASCAR needs to be a money making enterprise and 20 years ago owners would just piss money in the wind to do it.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
You have to remember that 20 years ago running a car at daytona or your local track was a 50-60k investment. Now 5 figures doesn't even get you to first practice.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Oh definitely. A big reason for that, though, is the teams. A guy like Haas will slap his name on a car, or Penske, and just eat the money, but a lot of teams today want to fully fund everything and it's just unrealistic. I could give two shits hearing about Jr. having a race still open when I know Hendrick can just put him in the City Chevrolet car for a race and make all the money in the world.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

In general racing's just gotten too expensive while stagnating in popularity. Hence the increase in ride buyers across all forms of motorsports.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

sell us hats sprinkler

e- Also backmarkers did have sponsors, but you don't remember that you almost never had a one off single race deal. Dude's would run 2/3rds of the year with a blank car and then lock up a deal for the rest of the year. Or start the year with a sponsor and then lose it. Teams would also just disappear and no one cared and there were far more teams that'd only show for big races with their one car and one of those rare "I'm sponsored for three races" deals. Some of the owners today feel like NASCAR needs to be a money making enterprise and 20 years ago owners would just piss money in the wind to do it.

I was thinking specifically of teams such as the #81 Kenny Wallace ran which had Square D for 2-3 years despite never doing anything in Cup (though that might have been Wallace, because they followed him to Andy Petree), the RAMOC 75 with Remington and later a revolving door of sponsors who I guess were all related, or Brett Bodine's team (Lowe's, Close Call, Paychex, Ralph's, Hooters). All those teams eventually died off, but were able to lock down full-year deals or, like you mentioned had a sponsor and lost it (Bodine and whatever Close Call was) despite never having any success.

A more recent example might be the Jim Smith's 7 after Geoff Bodine sold it (Philips, Nations Rent, SiriusXM) or the early days of Gene Haas' team, which had Netzero and Best Buy year-round well before Smoke got involved and turned them into a winner.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The decline of the mid-range team has been ongoing since the 2000s. I think the only guys we have left that you might call a mid-field team are the 47, the Petty cars, and maybe the Furniture Row guys. (and, at this point, maybe Roush).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alain Post posted:

The decline of the mid-range team has been ongoing since the 2000s. I think the only guys we have left that you might call a mid-field team are the 47, the Petty cars, and maybe the Furniture Row guys. (and, at this point, maybe Roush).

I assume you mean Front Row, but yeah that's about all in the mid-tier. I'd pretty solidly put Roush in there at this point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alain Post posted:

ganassi

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The big teams are running out of sponsors because they don't have the small and middle sized teams to poach them from anymore.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The big teams are running out of sponsors because they don't have the small and middle sized teams to poach them from anymore.

It is a fragile ecosystem.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NASCAR itself poached a shitload

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

NASCAR itself poached a shitload

preparation h, the official hemorrhoid cream of nascar

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the real downward slide was when boudreaux's butt paste left the sport. rip.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

financially racist posted:

the real downward slide was when boudreaux's butt paste left the sport. rip.

same but Buckshot Jones

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

financially racist posted:

the real downward slide was when boudreaux's butt paste Tabasco left the sport. rip.

farewell, best looking stock car of all time

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fauxhawk Express posted:

MGD

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

best looking stock car of all time

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MN12s are great looking cars.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Human Grand Prix posted:

MN12s are great looking cars.

I know that people ended up spending a fortune on those things in the wind tunnel.

But man, why'd they get rid of that era of cars.

edit: And one make of car was offset, which was hilarous. Like the whole body was to the left of the line of center.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Another quality post from the professor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

this isn't a Monte Carlo and it isn't #17 what is wrong with you

• Locked thread