Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Problem there is Illmor is practically connected to Penske iirc. It'd have to be Andretti since they're now 2nd fiddle again but now with Honda.

Cosworth still exists, and i could honestly see them pulling a 2003 to help out Chevy if they wanted to stay in the sport with Ganassi or Andretti.

If it's Andretti? I think it's more like it'd be Volkswagen.

My money is on FCA to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

You'd have to do some juggling IMO.

I can only see Mercedes Benz coming if Penske was the partner.

Then Ganassi or Andretti would have to be Chevy (Cosworth?) and Honda powered.

Back when they first came bubbling up, I had the notion that Alfa wouldn't have to/need to partner with Penske/Ganassi/Honda, but could fit as a "third wheel" manufacturer that would more easily cater to mid-pack and new teams. ("Coyne" and "Alfa" are two words that fit together in my head perfectly.) Ideally you'd have a major team anchoring each engine, but I'd like to think that a third engine could eventually pave the way for a new major team to emerge.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Juncos and/or (eventually) Carlin as the anchor teams for Alfa/insert OEM here?

M-B is more likely to be in DPi, IMO, seeing as the rumors of that last year were much stronger and it appears it just fell apart late. They have the investment in a GT3 motor to use there, can't see them wanting to jump in without Penske's enterprises.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If I was a manufacturer, I would not bother entering IndyCar without Penske, Ganassi, or Andretti as an anchor, regardless of who else you can snag or bring into the series. Andretti is obviously the least desirable of the three, but they at least have the staff, cars, and institutional knowledge/experience to get you up and running. Without one of those, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Rumors on TF and other places mentioned the aerokit cost and lack of an available anchor as factors that kept the mystery 3rd engine from jumping in earlier, and that seems pretty logical.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What's the history overall of FCA involved in IndyCar/Indy 500 racing?

I can recall Chrysler and Dodge both being pace cars. (1991, 1996). I also know full well about Alfa Romeo's background, how it was originally a project by Enzo Ferrari, etc.

Has Dodge proper ever entered into the Indy 500? Their history doesn't seem to pop up like Ford, Chevy or Buick, so i'm a bit curious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

Problem there is Illmor is practically connected to Penske iirc. It'd have to be Andretti since they're now 2nd fiddle again but now with Honda.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me until now, but that makes sense as to why Ganassi left Chevy. They must have felt, rightfully or not, that Penske was getting better support due to their rampant success.

And completely agreed that any new manufacturer is going to want at least one large, established team. Penske is not up for grabs, which leaves Ganassi, Andretti, and maaaybe ECR if you consider them a big enough team.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

And completely agreed that any new manufacturer is going to want at least one large, established team. Penske is not up for grabs, which leaves Ganassi, Andretti, and maaaybe ECR if you consider them a big enough team.

This is what I was talking about. If Alfa comes in with a reputable engine maker like Cosworth, a team like ECR wouldn't be a bad pick as an anchor team. They have their poo poo together at Indy and the ovals, just as much as the big three. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that their two cars, together with Coyne, Juncos, and other Indy one-offs could make a solid contender of a package that may not necessarily be winning every race, but would always be competing—which is pretty much the status of those kinds of teams anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The question mark there is how does ECR do without Josef. I only put them that high because he was the highest non Penske car, but he was also ECR's only full time entry. At least they ran two cars in most races, unlike Rahal.

That leaves SPM as maybe the only other possible flagship team, and I don't think that'd be desirable enough for a new manufacturer in place of AA or Ganassi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost done 1999 - this Houston street circuit is still appalling.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's the history overall of FCA involved in IndyCar/Indy 500 racing?

I can recall Chrysler and Dodge both being pace cars. (1991, 1996). I also know full well about Alfa Romeo's background, how it was originally a project by Enzo Ferrari, etc.

Has Dodge proper ever entered into the Indy 500? Their history doesn't seem to pop up like Ford, Chevy or Buick, so i'm a bit curious.

LUCKY FOR YOU i have a gigantic 500 chronicle and nothing to do with my life!! Lets break it down by FCA brand.

• FIAT

There was a Fiat in each of the first two 500's. In fact, a Fiat driven by Teddy Tetzlaff would finish 2nd in the 1912 500. The baller rear end LA native himself:

There would be one more Fiat entered in 1925. No word if they also had those bad rear end sweaters.

• Chrysler

The first Chrysler shows up in 1930 driven by Roland Free:

Chrysler's would be entered in 31-33 as well. Best finishs looks to be in '33 when Paul Riganti finished 14th. Chrysler pulled out of racing due to the depression in 33, and wouldnt be back for a looooong time.

• Alfa

Alfa has a long, long history at Indy. Their first entry is in '37, driven by Rex Mays:

Alfa would make starts every year betwen 37 and 48. They would of course return in 90-91 briefly with Patrick Racing.

• Ferrari

Ferrari has 1 career start in the 500, running the legendary Alberto Ascari in a slightly changed Ferrari 375F1 in 1952, as the 351 was no longer eligible for F1 due to rule changes. Four cars were brought over from Europe with the factory team, but only Ascari qualified. They DNFed early when Ascari spun and broke the cars left front hub.

(suck it ferrari)

• AMC

Yes, that AMC. Did you forget they were absorbed by Chrysler? AMC was approached by Champion Spark Plugs about building a 209ci Iron-block Turbo V8 for the 500. Champion had determined that a 209 high pressure turbo would be the best way to exploit the current formula. Built in Long Beach, the engines proved more powerful than anything else in the field, but the crazy weight made the car uncompetitive in the corners. Engines were entered from 76-79

• Maserati

Saving the best for last!

Of all the FCA brands, Maserati undoubtedly has the longest and most successful history. Maseratis were staples for a long time period, ironically competing side by side with future conglomerate cousin Alfa for most of their time. They would be a strong presence from 37-49, but their highlight is of course the back to back wins of Indy 500 legend Wilbur Shaw. Shaw piloted an absrudly beautiful candy apple red Maserati to wins in 1939 and 1940.

Wilbur Shaw would of course go on to essentially single handedly save much of American racing (debatable) and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (undebatable) when he convinced a local grocer and coffee producer from Terra Haute named Tony Hulman to purchase a dilapidated IMS after WW2 for $750k. For his efforts, Shaw was appointed President of IMS and served in the role until he died 54, presiding over the speedway's transformation into the biggest race in the world.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm almost done 1999 - this Houston street circuit is still appalling.

The Circuit of Endless 90 Degree Turns

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Cygni Alfa was also around in '89 with Guerrero as a driver.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Alberto Ascari driven roadster is a truly beautiful looking machine.

it's a drat shame that Ferrari proper never gave Indy another shot in the manner n which they've succeeded at Le Mans and F1. I mean they came close with loving around with Ferrari 637, but really that just wound up becoming the Alfa that Sullivan ran with Patrick in the 90's

I still think if it's indeed FCA (as has been implied by a friend, via his insistence that Jay Frye has a close relationship with them)? It's gotta be Alfa Romeo who is indeed looking to dip their toes back into the US market again.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Lotus 2.0 is just what the series needs

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just wish we could get the car counts up again so we could bring back "Bump Day" and make "Pole Day" interesting.

Though...it feels like that's drat impossible to accomplish because i imagine the risk of DNQ would drive a lot of sponsors, etc away.

Which sucks because watching the old broadcasts of qualifications is fun as hell. The stories of guys trying to just MAKE the field against the Goliath's of Penske, Newman Haas, etc is rather incredible. Small teams like Dick Simon's (literally ran out of an old firehouse), Hemelgarn, and such trying to just get it right.

don't get me wrong. At this point? Just grateful to even have a sport...but man, those were some cool times.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Honestly I'm more concerned about the full season count than the Indy500 one.

Since the end of the old car we've lost Conquest, Dragon, Dreyer and Reinbold, HVM, KV, Newman Haas and Panther as full time runners.

We've gained ECR.

It's a problem masked a little by the fact 3 teams are running 4 cars each, but even so we're down to 21 full time cars now. Carlin and (More seriously) Juncos are sniffing round at a full time run of course but so were people like Michael Shank and it never came to pass.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The reason Ferrari never tried it again is because through the '80s they were busy with F1, and when they threatened to leave F1 for America - allegedly - they got everything they wanted rules-wise - allegedly.

The short story of that is Enzo Ferrari held a meeting with the FIA and rulesmakers at Maranello and during the meeting, after the old man vaguely hinted at threats to go to CART, an engine was fired up. It wasn't a F1 engine, but instead a ~2.65 turbo V8. :v: (baller as hell, btw)

quote:

Champion had determined that a 209 high pressure turbo would be the best way to exploit the current formula

Heh. Sounds like The Beast, no?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just wish we could get the car counts up again so we could bring back "Bump Day" and make "Pole Day" interesting.

Though...it feels like that's drat impossible to accomplish because i imagine the risk of DNQ would drive a lot of sponsors, etc away.

Yup. Let's be fair, it costs a hell of a lot more money to make a qual attempt today than it did 30 years ago or 40 years ago. Even 22 years ago, you could still easily get your hands on older cars and have a shot at getting in.

In this era where cars aren't changed much year to year, it lowers the costs for full time runners, while increasing the resale value of used cars. You also have zero options to buy your own engine.

If we had 25-28 full time cars, then I'd focus a bit more at increasing Indy-only runs.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So hh gregg just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Can't be good for their sponsorship deal with Andretti.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

gret posted:

So hh gregg just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Can't be good for their sponsorship deal with Andretti.

Hopefully Andretti got most of that money up front

And yes the downtown Houston track is definitely on the shortlist of most abominable AOW circuits

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Can anything possibly beat San Jose in abominable street circuits? Maybe that Chinese A1GP circuit with the unnavigable chicanehairpin? Boston (lol)?

ed- chicane != hairpin, derp

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 8, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vancouver II was terrible, though that might just be me remembering how great the first Vancouver street course was.

the old 90s Denver wasn't like, abominable but it was like the worst case of an American street circuit being nothing but right-angle bends and short straights.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

No. Nothing was worse than San Jose.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Vancouver II was terrible, though that might just be me remembering how great the first Vancouver street course was.

It would be mediocre even if old Vancouver had not existed. OldVan was awesome.

Alain Post posted:

the old 90s Denver wasn't like, abominable but it was like the worst case of an American street circuit being nothing but right hand bends and short straights.

Average speed: 128km/h.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Montoya was really accident prone on street circuits in '99.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

WindyMan posted:

Can anything possibly beat San Jose in abominable street circuits? Maybe that Chinese A1GP circuit with the unnavigable chicane? Boston (lol)?

The China one wasn't a chicane, it was a hairpin that was too tight for the cars to actually take. Like, they were having to stop in the turn.

Incase you're wondering, yes. It was a Hermann Tilke design.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

ABC/ESPN is, amazingly, doing new things to improve the production of race broadcasts this year. I guess ESPN isn't completely phoning it in yet.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/live-abc-telecast-open-verizon-indycar-series-season-st-petersburg/

quote:

ESPN’s production of the race telecast will introduce two new innovations to enhance the viewing experience for fans, including the first, exclusive usage of a predictive analytics system built especially for IndyCar racing that will bring viewers closer to the strategy that often determines race winners.

Designed for ESPN by Pit Rho, a technology company focused on the development of custom, predictive analytics solutions for the motorsports industry, the system will supplement the scoring tickers and graphics that race fans are accustomed to with additional information related to race strategy such as tire compound choices and laps on tires, fuel windows and optimal laps for pitting, as well as predictive analysis of positions, lap time falloff and probability of cautions.

Which means that computers will probably give more accurate strategy insights than Cheever and Goodyear. That's a plus.

quote:

Also new this season will be “Visor Cam,” a tiny camera mounted to a driver’s helmet, which will provide a unique view that will be used during ABC’s course description segment. Driver Josef Newgarden will be the first to utilize the camera for ABC as he drives the St. Petersburg circuit for a preview that will be recorded during practice for the event.

When I first read this, I thought they would be bringing back live in-race visor cam. It seems that this is just going to be the new 1080p/60fps visor cam that we've already been seeing from IndyCar during practice segments, just used as a precorded segment during the broadcast. Still, that'll be swell to see on TV.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Both of those things are actually bad because they will be inserted into the broadcast while actual racing is going on.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Hmm there is some racing happening lets now take 5 minutes to look at a graph that shows the likelyhood of Marco Andretti winning this race

|
|
|
|_______________________________________________________

And now for a commercial break!

*misses 3 passes for the lead*

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Old Vancouver may be my least favorite video game circuit ever, because I absolutely loving sucked at it on Andretti Racing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Hmm there is some racing happening lets now take 5 minutes to look at a graph that shows the likelyhood of Marco Andretti winning this race

|
|
|
|_______________________________________________________

And now for a commercial break!

*misses 3 passes for the lead*

*returns from commercial break to 30 seconds of video of Kanaan wearing a tuxedo in a warehouse*

That poo poo is my #1 loving pet peeve about American racing broadcasts, every time they cut back from commercial they show some dumb footage THAT THEY HAD TO PAY TO CREATE instead of just returning straight to the racing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxhawk Express posted:

No. Nothing was worse better than San Jose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIOxPjPF5A&t=48s
(this was after they ground it overnight, lol)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Which means that computers will probably give more accurate strategy insights than Cheever and Goodyear. That's a plus.

I mean, so would this:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIOxPjPF5A&t=48s
(this was after they ground it overnight, lol)

My favorite thing about this Derek Daly's reaction at the start of the race, marveling at the sheer dumbfounded spectacle.

Despite this, and because of it, San Jose is the biggest street course shitshow ever. Emergency chicanes, hardline passing rules into the hairpin that cars could barely get through, and even a reversal of the circuit. What a hot mess that one was.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WindyMan posted:

My favorite thing about this Derek Daly's reaction at the start of the race, marveling at the sheer dumbfounded spectacle.

Despite this, and because of it, San Jose is the biggest street course shitshow ever. Emergency chicanes, hardline passing rules into the hairpin that cars could barely get through, and even a reversal of the circuit. What a hot mess that one was.

I went to the next two races held there and it was fun. It was kinda weird that the paddock was in the convention center, and the crew would work on the cars in there. Saw Katherine Legge jump out of a trailer in there and ambush her crew with a spray bottle.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Didn't Baltimore also have a railroad crossing that needed a Chicane added? Or did only IMSA run the Baltimore streets. I missed the last year they ran it, right before I moved to the area.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Baltimore actually was a pretty nice street circuit, all things considered.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bring Back Baltimore

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Baltimore also added a chicane, but unlike San Jose it was actually a pretty good track for racing, or at least I thought so. I'm bummed it couldn't stay on the schedule.

And since you brought up Baltimore…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr05J9nvUhA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:stare:
one track vehicle in the runoff at turn 1 at the race start and one frantically dodging out of the racing line, driving counter to the circuit?

:stonk:

• Locked thread