Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Xenoborg posted:

I got sent over here from the personal fiance thread with my PMI question:

Setup:
We have been aggressively paying down our house (about 3x the required) to get rid of PMI payments. The principle is now ~79% of the original loan value, so we sent a request to have PMI canceled. The lender (4th owner of the loan in 2 years) sent a reply that we need to pay $700 to have our house appraised to make sure it doesn't loose value. This would wipe out over a year of the savings we would get from not having PMI anymore.

Question:
Does everyone have to pay to get their house apprised to get of PMI or is this because we requested it at soon as we hit 79%? Would PMI automatically go away sometime before 1 year from now on its own?

It seems like common sense that, since the PMI penalty is due to not putting down 20% of the purchase price, then as soon as I have under 80% of the loan value, I'm all set!

NOT SO FAST! The official rule is 78%. So just pay a little more to hit that mark, and you can confidently tell them cancel without the hoop of an appraiser unless you signed some unscrupulous contract.

FYI, people have also used appraisals in their favor, by :airquote: proving the propety's value went up far enough that their equity qualifies for the 78%mark irrespective of the payments themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Thoguh posted:

If I remember correctly you have to wait until you are 78% LTV to drop PMI without an appraisal.

quote:

NOT SO FAST! The official rule is 78%. So just pay a little more to hit that mark, and you can confidently tell them cancel without the hoop of an appraiser unless you signed some unscrupulous contract.

Reading Homeowners Protection Act it sounds like it only falls off automatically at when normal payments would have it reach 78%. That we payed it off faster and reached 78% early doesn't matter unless we pay to have it appraised.

quote:

Automatic Termination
The Act requires a servicer to automatically terminate PMI for residential mortgage transactions on the date that:
•the principal balance of the mortgage is first scheduled to reach 78 percent of the original value of the secured property (based solely on the initial amortization schedule in the case of a fixed rate loan

The relevant portion of the Requested Cancellation is:

quote:

Borrower Requested Cancellation
A borrower may initiate cancellation of PMI coverage by submitting a written request to the servicer. The servicer must take action to cancel PMI when the cancellation date occurs, which is when the principal balance of the loan reaches (based on actual payments) or is first scheduled to reach 80 percent of the “original value, irrespective of the outstanding balance, based upon the initial amortization schedule (in the case of a fixed rate loan) or amortization schedule then in effect (in the case of an adjustable rate loan), or any date thereafter that:

• the borrower submits a written cancellation request;
• the borrower has a good payment history;
• the borrower is current
• the borrower satisfies any requirement of the mortgage holder for: (i) evidence of a type established in advance that the value of the property has not declined below the original value; and (ii) certification that the borrower’s equity in the property is not subject to a subordinate lien (12 USC 4902(a)(4)).
So we seem to be screwed out $700 here. Its still less than PMI would be until we naturally would have hit 78% I guess...

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 28, 2017

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Re-finance will dump that pesky PMI too if you really are below 80% LTV. That's how I did it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
How much should I anticipate paying for my refinance?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How much should I anticipate paying for my refinance?

H110Hawk posted:

You can re-fi for around $2500 all in, less if you pay exactly $0 for points.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would ask your lender when PMI will drop off they may do it at 78% regardless of the law. Also if rates have decreased you may be able to refi for free, (keeping a higher then market rate).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm living in my hometown currently, Lisbon, and the housing market is insanely high, and was considering contracting a loan to buy a house for me and who knows for any eventuality, kids, even though I'm back to being single.
What gives me immense pause is the idea to pay for an asset whose market value sky rocketed in the past 12 months; on the other hand, renting is also expensive given that one bedroom apartments are being rented by couples, so I'm effectively going against two incomes.
So I dunno, while a loan would be a cheaper rent on the short-term, I'm not sure if I ever wanted to move I could flip the house easily, the market right now seems a big rear end bubble waiting to pop, but I'm not exactly a market expert.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Furnace had water on the floor under it twice in the last two weeks. Not much, but enough to worry since it's a ~15 year old furnace. Gonna replace it before I have a 2am panic call and all the charges associated with that.

Propane or Oil furnace? I have wood backup as well.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

So I dunno, while a loan would be a cheaper rent on the short-term, I'm not sure if I ever wanted to move I could flip the house easily, the market right now seems a big rear end bubble waiting to pop, but I'm not exactly a market expert.

I don't think we're there. Yet. Listings are still expiring at a steady pace and home builder prices keep going up and down because they keep thinking the market will just suck it up and deal. At least here in Richmond that seems to be the case.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think we're there. Yet. Listings are still expiring at a steady pace and home builder prices keep going up and down because they keep thinking the market will just suck it up and deal. At least here in Richmond that seems to be the case.

In Lisbon there's a lot of foreign investment to tap on the tourism and short-lenting market, like grabbbing a 70+ year old building renew it and just pump it full of rooms. It works great for them since even valued the market is still cheaper than other European capitals, but I'm not français, sacrebleu

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

my wife and i put an offer on a house the other day and we just found out it was accepted. huzzah!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rocks posted:

my wife and i put an offer on a house the other day and we just found out it was accepted. huzzah!

Condolences.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Rocks posted:

Enjoy your impending financial ruin!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Spermy Smurf posted:

Furnace had water on the floor under it twice in the last two weeks. Not much, but enough to worry since it's a ~15 year old furnace. Gonna replace it before I have a 2am panic call and all the charges associated with that.

Propane or Oil furnace? I have wood backup as well.

Try the home ownership thread instead.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774735

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 2, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Rocks posted:

Same. Now comes the inespections... Good luck!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a question about house showings and this seems to be the most appropriate thread.

The house I live in is going on the market soon, so I will need to be absent while the house is being shown. I have two chinchillas who live in cages in the main part of the house, I really don't want random people dicking around with them but I can't exactly take them with me when I have to be out of the house for a few hours. Obviously I'm going to tell the seller's agent not to let people gently caress with them but I have my doubts if she'll actually stop anyone from messing with them, and that doesn't cover buyer's agents coming in. My usual protocol for keeping randos from messing with them is to stick them in a room with the door shut but that's not gonna fly at a house showing.

My current thought is to buy some small padlocks so no one can open the cages and maybe stick a small sign on their cages explaining what they are and what their names are and please don't put your fingers in the cages they might bite. Thoughts?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

How much time is left in your lease and what state are you in? You don't have to leave for a showing in any case. You also have a right to quiet enjoyment and it could be reasonable to keep the room with your pets locked. It depends on your specific situation.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The seller's agent (who is also our property manager) is coming by next week to take a look around and see what stuff they have to fix before they put it on the market so I can ask her about the specifics then. They're timing it so it goes on the market less than 30 days from when we're moving out so it would take an act of god for anyone to close before we're out and kick us out early, which I appreciate.

We are in Nebraska, my lease says nothing about showings. House goes on the market March 15th and we're terminating our lease April 11th. It's just one more layer of crap on top of the moving bullshit.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
In my experience, there's absolutely no reason for you to be required to leave while your place is being shown, especially when you're a renter. Some people find it awkward, and of course real estate agents hate it since it breaks the information bubble they try and keep buyers in, but you're still occupying the property and have a right to be there.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Problem! posted:

I have a question about house showings and this seems to be the most appropriate thread.

The house I live in is going on the market soon, so I will need to be absent while the house is being shown. I have two chinchillas who live in cages in the main part of the house, I really don't want random people dicking around with them but I can't exactly take them with me when I have to be out of the house for a few hours. Obviously I'm going to tell the seller's agent not to let people gently caress with them but I have my doubts if she'll actually stop anyone from messing with them, and that doesn't cover buyer's agents coming in. My usual protocol for keeping randos from messing with them is to stick them in a room with the door shut but that's not gonna fly at a house showing.

My current thought is to buy some small padlocks so no one can open the cages and maybe stick a small sign on their cages explaining what they are and what their names are and please don't put your fingers in the cages they might bite. Thoughts?

Like the others have said, (assuming there is no specific provision about it in your lease) you do not legally have to leave the house during a showing. According to Nebraska Rental Laws you are only required to give reasonable access. You being there and protecting your chinchillas does not impinge on that reasonable access. I'm sure it'll be awkward, but if I were you, I'd stick around the room with the chinchillas with a book or some work, and plan to not say much (you can just give non-committal answers if the potential buyers ask questions about the house, or answer them fully if you feel like it).

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Started lurking the thread about a month ago when my wife and I decided we wanted to buy a townhouse, there was a lot of great advice and it helped me feel some relief that everyone stresses the gently caress out about the entire process as much as I have. We are currently at the end of the inspection process where I handed over some super minor requests (a couple junction boxes in the basement needed some cover.)

The one thing that has me nervous is we have an FHA loan and I've heard they are pretty big ball busters when it comes to the appraisals.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We had an FHA loan. The appraiser was mostly just concerned with the unfinished bathroom. We requested sellers to finish it and they did. The biggest difference is the FHA appraiser is just looking for livability aspects of the house.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

For those of you who purchased foreclosed homes, did you have any construction experience/connections?

I'm probably about a year out from doing anything, and just thinking ahead. I've got access to some pretty knowledgeable and incredibly handy people especially when it comes to kitchens, finish carpentry, and most definitely floors. Is it borderline a no-brainer option, provided the property is right, to do that if I'm not planning on little SHRIMPS in the next couple years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My wife and I are starting to get excited and optimistic, which is a sign that I need to slow my roll. How many red flags am I flying here?

1. We're moving from Houston to Nashville, and intending to just buy a house there rather than renting first to learn the city. We've been a few times and have driven through neighborhoods we're aiming at and driven some simulated commutes, including at rush hour.
  2. We are intending to buy a house there in the $350k range, which is between 2x and 2.5x our household income.
  3. It looks like we're going to be buying the new house and moving before selling the old one, which is made possible because of #4:
  4. We've got a private mortgage lined up with a retired relative. A full contract will be drawn up, they will have a lien on the house, and we will still be doing 10% down even though we were offered 0% down. We have enough liquid to put this 10% down and still have an emergency fund before the house we're in right now sells.
  5. That budget and our desired in Nashville are steering us towards new construction in gentrifying neighborhoods. The close in houses in already nice neighborhoods are $500k+, nobody's selling the well-kept houses in the gentrifying areas, and the lovely run-down houses close in seem to be getting torn down, lots subdivided, and cool stuff that we like getting built for $300k-400k. Some of our frontrunners are spec built new houses that are nearing completion.

We're following this checklist here for private mortgage guidance. It's really a win/win because we'd avoid closing costs, and the lender would get a much better than bonds return. The monthly mortgage payment on my Houston house is only ~$630/mo, so I'm not to worried if we end up paying both notes for a bit while this house sells. Tell me, is this whole thing a terrible idea and I need to slow the gently caress down, sell this house first and have the buy-side contract in Nashville contingent on this sale closing, and get financing from a real bank instead?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

We had an FHA loan. The appraiser was mostly just concerned with the unfinished bathroom. We requested sellers to finish it and they did. The biggest difference is the FHA appraiser is just looking for livability aspects of the house.

this is comforting, i'm having nightmares about three silly steps that don't have a railing on both sides.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Photex posted:

this is comforting, i'm having nightmares about three silly steps that don't have a railing on both sides.

I got a FHA loan and my house had four steps leading from a sliding glass door outside with no railing. No comment was made on this issue - the only things that had to be fixed were covering exposed electrical wires in two spots and filling in some concrete around an old disused drain. And the wire issues were solved by the easiest fix ever - the seller basically just nailed up some hastily cut plywood over them (I fixed it properly later). So even if there are issues raised about the rail, it shouldn't affect the sale, since the seller could almost just tack a cardboard tube on the wall and call it a railing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Twerk from Home posted:

My wife and I are starting to get excited and optimistic, which is a sign that I need to slow my roll. How many red flags am I flying here?

1. We're moving from Houston to Nashville, and intending to just buy a house there rather than renting first to learn the city. We've been a few times and have driven through neighborhoods we're aiming at and driven some simulated commutes, including at rush hour.
  2. We are intending to buy a house there in the $350k range, which is between 2x and 2.5x our household income.
  3. It looks like we're going to be buying the new house and moving before selling the old one, which is made possible because of #4:
  4. We've got a private mortgage lined up with a retired relative. A full contract will be drawn up, they will have a lien on the house, and we will still be doing 10% down even though we were offered 0% down. We have enough liquid to put this 10% down and still have an emergency fund before the house we're in right now sells.
  5. That budget and our desired in Nashville are steering us towards new construction in gentrifying neighborhoods. The close in houses in already nice neighborhoods are $500k+, nobody's selling the well-kept houses in the gentrifying areas, and the lovely run-down houses close in seem to be getting torn down, lots subdivided, and cool stuff that we like getting built for $300k-400k. Some of our frontrunners are spec built new houses that are nearing completion.

We're following this checklist here for private mortgage guidance. It's really a win/win because we'd avoid closing costs, and the lender would get a much better than bonds return. The monthly mortgage payment on my Houston house is only ~$630/mo, so I'm not to worried if we end up paying both notes for a bit while this house sells. Tell me, is this whole thing a terrible idea and I need to slow the gently caress down, sell this house first and have the buy-side contract in Nashville contingent on this sale closing, and get financing from a real bank instead?

Oh hey, I bought in Nashville last summer. Where are you looking? Something to keep in mind is that especially around your price range there are a lot of multiple offer situations and yours might get rejected out of hand just for being a complex situation.

IMO though, still good to live somewhere a while before buying and

Twerk from Home posted:

slow the gently caress down ... and get financing from a real bank instead

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

For those of you who purchased foreclosed homes, did you have any construction experience/connections?

I'm probably about a year out from doing anything, and just thinking ahead. I've got access to some pretty knowledgeable and incredibly handy people especially when it comes to kitchens, finish carpentry, and most definitely floors. Is it borderline a no-brainer option, provided the property is right, to do that if I'm not planning on little SHRIMPS in the next couple years.

There are two main types of foreclosed homes, reo, and auction on the court steps. Rel estate owned is what happens after no one bids higher than the bank at a tax auction, or when the bank forecloses on the home and there is no auction. In most ways it is similar to a normal home for sale. The bank wants as much money as possible and to sell as quick as possible. Generally they are less willing to do repairs and they are often exempt from disclosing any problems, they wouldnt know about them anyways. It also takes a little longer to close usually. The homes are usually not in great condition or else the previous owner would not have been foreclosed on, but they may still have the utilities on so you can inspect more easily. There are a lot more of this type for sale.

Tax lien auctions and other auctions will vary a little from area to area. You usually get an imperfect title so it can be harder to sell in the future. You usually have to pay cash the same day so financing is not available. The real savings is here because you are only competing with cash buyers. If there was a mortgage the bank will usually bid up to what was owed. For someone to neglect paying taxes to the point that it is sold usually means the house is in terrible condition. You may not have any access to the inside of the home to inspect and it may be occupied.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Photex posted:

The stairs in our house didn't (and still don't) have railing in them. You will be fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thufir posted:

Oh hey, I bought in Nashville last summer. Where are you looking? Something to keep in mind is that especially around your price range there are a lot of multiple offer situations and yours might get rejected out of hand just for being a complex situation.

IMO though, still good to live somewhere a while before buying and

Well, on the buy end of this transaction it would actually be a plus because we're essentially a cash offer, there's no ability for financing to fall through. We're drawing up contracts now to set this up, and anyone we're buying from wouldn't be aware of all this. I guess I should also add that we owe $50k principal on our house in Houston, and it's tax assessed at $180k and we find it pretty likely we can sell for ~$190k. There's similar new construction going on down our street, and the cheapest there is $230k+.

We're looking to be as close to Vanderbilt as possible with at least a 3/2 for under $400k. There's a ton of new houses going up in North Nashville and near Tennessee State that seem fine to us. We'd really like to be in Wedgewood-Houston, but can't afford it. Nations looks OK, but we'd like to be a little bit east of there if possible.

Maybe we should also be more open to East Nashville, but it seems like to get to our price point you end up all the way out in Inglewood.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, on the buy end of this transaction it would actually be a plus because we're essentially a cash offer, there's no ability for financing to fall through. We're drawing up contracts now to set this up, and anyone we're buying from wouldn't be aware of all this. I guess I should also add that we owe $50k principal on our house in Houston, and it's tax assessed at $180k and we find it pretty likely we can sell for ~$190k. There's similar new construction going on down our street, and the cheapest there is $230k+.

We're looking to be as close to Vanderbilt as possible with at least a 3/2 for under $400k. There's a ton of new houses going up in North Nashville and near Tennessee State that seem fine to us. We'd really like to be in Wedgewood-Houston, but can't afford it. Nations looks OK, but we'd like to be a little bit east of there if possible.

Maybe we should also be more open to East Nashville, but it seems like to get to our price point you end up all the way out in Inglewood.

Cool, I'm in the Nations and it's not bad to Vanderbilt at all, and I say that having previously lived less than a mile from campus. That or North Nashville/TSU is probably your best bet under 400k. Before buying in the Nations we were mainly looking in East Nashville but the market is crazy there unless, as you said, you're way out. In retrospect I'm happy we stayed on the West side because it's a lot better for commuting and access to mundane stuff like Costco and decent grocery stores.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thufir posted:

Cool, I'm in the Nations and it's not bad to Vanderbilt at all, and I say that having previously lived less than a mile from campus. That or North Nashville/TSU is probably your best bet under 400k. Before buying in the Nations we were mainly looking in East Nashville but the market is crazy there unless, as you said, you're way out. In retrospect I'm happy we stayed on the West side because it's a lot better for commuting and access to mundane stuff like Costco and decent grocery stores.

It sounds like I'm not completely off base in the areas we're looking, what do I really have to lose by hopping straight into a house instead of renting first? I want to avoid the pain / expense of moving twice, and a year in an apartment or rental seems like it would be pretty expensive compared to just going ahead and buying.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

The home needs to be in livable condition or you won't be able to get a normal mortgage. There are construction mortgages but they have fees and they will want you to use licensed contractors and other things. I think if it is a newer 1999 built home you probably won't have many code issues.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It sounds like I'm not completely off base in the areas we're looking, what do I really have to lose by hopping straight into a house instead of renting first? I want to avoid the pain / expense of moving twice, and a year in an apartment or rental seems like it would be pretty expensive compared to just going ahead and buying.

I don't think your plan sounds particularly bad, I just think it's in general a better idea to see how things shake out before buying.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Twerk from Home posted:

Mainly you're making a permanent decision on where you want to be before you've had a chance to learn what the area's really like. Renting first lets you get to know your work schedule, where people you like are, where the stuff you like to do is, where the stores and restaurants you like are, and maybe get a better idea of what you want vs. what people are paying.

The second thing is that when you've got a deadline to close on a house you might be tempted to overlook some things or talk yourself into an area you don't like. In other words, if you aren't willing to walk away from any house you put an offer on, you aren't as detached from the process as you could be, and that can cause you to buy the wrong place.

I would consider a short term furnished rental (2-3 months). It'll cost more for those few months and be a hassle to have most of your stuff in storage, but it'll let you get a good feel for the area and lessen the pressure on you to BUY RIGHT NOW. Since you're essentially going in with a cash offer you'll have an advantage in that competitive market, and you'll have some time to be sure you like where you're buying.

Fake edit: You can rent a house Dolly Parton owns for like 11 grand a month if you want.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Were pretty much set on buying a new build home. There's a neighborhood situated perfectly less than 5 miles from both our jobs in our price range with generally not sucky floor plans that we've been eyeballing.

We're still renting first and locked into a 12 month lease to get a good deal on rent, our plan is to scope out the area for 3-4 months to make sure this neighborhood is in fact a good choice then put a deposit down so we can break ground and do the outside stuff in late summer/early fall before the ground freezes and finish up the interior over the winter and early spring and hopefully time closing on the house just as our lease is about to end next spring.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
My offer was accepted! Sellers don't want to close until June, which works out great for my current lease. But my agent says I need to decide on a mortgage lender now. Is that right? I'd rather wait until April and then shop for rates, either locking one in for 60 days or floating. Seems dumb to commit to a lender now before I know the rate, and nobody will lock a rate for 4 months.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Rates are going up, possibly substantially, between now and June, and there can be financing related problems that delay closing by weeks or even months. Yes, absolutely shop & lock in now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Rates are going up, possibly substantially, between now and June, and there can be financing related problems that delay closing by weeks or even months. Yes, absolutely shop & lock in now.

Won't higher rates cause buyers to be able to afford less? I'm pretty sure that higher rates will have a downward pressure on prices, just because fewer people will be able to afford a given price point, slowing sales on more expensive houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There are a lot of variables at play and every city is different but yes generally rising rates hurts prices, particularly on the low end of the market.