Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Bruceski posted:

The smith in Zora Domain can rebuild it for you.

Out of curiosity can you do this quest with either or the lightscale tridents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

JethroMcB posted:

If you've only run into him once, you can probably find him across from Outskirt Stable.

Hey thanks this was it. Also lol this thread moves

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ice Fist posted:

Out of curiosity can you do this quest with either or the lightscale tridents?

Actually, yes!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bruceski posted:

The smith in Zora Domain can rebuild it for you.

Oh nice, can you rebuild any of the post dungeon weapons?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Is there an easy way to get another ancient core? I just need one more but I'm only getting springs, screws, shafts, and gears.

i think its pure luck

i need one more too. RIP

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Scholtz posted:

Actually, yes!

ugh.

It took me a while to figure out/remember that weapons sink so I didn't find the ceremonial one for a while.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish there was an option to hold a button while aiming to activate gyro controls. If I'm just looking through my camera or binocs, the view is shaky even if I'm not moving the controller. But I need the gyro to aim my bow with a drat. Even a sensitivity setting for gyro might work nice. This is with the Wii U gamepad btw.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel like this game is set so far in the future (Calamity Ganon first came around 10,000 years ago and got brutally blown up by robots, presumably there'd been a long period of peace before that in order to reach that level of advancement) that it could be literally any or all timelines, which I like. The rock salt references a great sea now gone, one of the memories mentions the Twilight Realm and the events of Skyward Sword I wonder if somebody at Nintendo regrets coming up with an official timeline split guide and wants to draw a line under it

They call this a "dragon break" in Elder Scrolls--a point in history where multiple timelines all come together. In Elder Scrolls, it's a way to reconcile the games' multiple endings without having to pick a canon one: eventually, all the timelines will reach the same point in history regardless and they all converge.

It makes sense to think of Breath of the Wild as Zelda's version of that. It's so far in the future that it's entirely possible that its events could come to pass in any of the Zelda timelines, and it has strong references to at least two of them, to the point that I don't think they're just wink-wink, nudge-nudge references for nostalgia. We have an explicit reference to Twilight Princess among references to Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time as events that took place in this timeline. At the same time, there are Rito, who only existed in the Adult Timeline (Wind Waker)--but they also didn't coexist with the Zora, who do exist in Breath of the Wild. And, like you mention, there's a reference to the Great Sea.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that Breath of the Wild's timeline is both timelines, or maybe even all three (if we don't accept the idea that Breath of the Wild is essentially the events of the original Legend of Zelda playing out in the Child/Adult Timelines instead of the Defeat Timeline) and, if that's the case, it definitely gives Nintendo an out on saying "Yep, timelines converged, now it doesn't matter anymore."

Or they could also just go "it's not in any of the timelines, get over it."

Cojawfee posted:

Is there an easy way to get another ancient core? I just need one more but I'm only getting springs, screws, shafts, and gears.

There's one in the shrine near the Central Hyrule Tower if you haven't done that shrine yet. Also that shrine is insanely good, so do it anyway.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

A Zelda game where the plot is that Ganon is merging the timelines and you have to deal with poo poo getting hosed up as a result of it would be interesting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Icedude posted:

A Zelda game where the plot is that Ganon is merging the timelines and you have to deal with poo poo getting hosed up as a result of it would be interesting.

That's kinda Hyrule Warriors, but Cia's behind it instead of Ganon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game does the "climb a tower to reveal the map" thing better than any other game with that mechanic precisely because it doesn't populate your map with icons. It's not Link using the vantage point to mark stuff on his map--it's you, the player, using the vantage point to see what you can find. Yeah, it reveals map geography and place names, but after that, it's up to you to mark shrines or cool things you want to check out or that Fairy Fountain you think you saw. I get much more excited about climbing towers in this than I do in any other game with that mechanic because of how active the "find cool poo poo" part is afterwards.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's kinda Hyrule Warriors, but Cia's behind it instead of Ganon.

Well Ganon is behind that too since he corrupted Cia with power. Originally Cia was just a lonely creep that really wanted to gently caress Link.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Zelda is trying to single handedly hold off ganon and I've spent an in game month waiting naked at this shrine with the accordion guy for a blood moon

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Zelda is trying to single handedly hold off ganon and I've spent an in game month waiting naked at this shrine with the accordion guy for a blood moon

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

They call this a "dragon break" in Elder Scrolls--a point in history where multiple timelines all come together. In Elder Scrolls, it's a way to reconcile the games' multiple endings without having to pick a canon one: eventually, all the timelines will reach the same point in history regardless and they all converge.

It makes sense to think of Breath of the Wild as Zelda's version of that. It's so far in the future that it's entirely possible that its events could come to pass in any of the Zelda timelines, and it has strong references to at least two of them, to the point that I don't think they're just wink-wink, nudge-nudge references for nostalgia. We have an explicit reference to Twilight Princess among references to Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time as events that took place in this timeline. At the same time, there are Rito, who only existed in the Adult Timeline (Wind Waker)--but they also didn't coexist with the Zora, who do exist in Breath of the Wild. And, like you mention, there's a reference to the Great Sea.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that Breath of the Wild's timeline is both timelines, or maybe even all three (if we don't accept the idea that Breath of the Wild is essentially the events of the original Legend of Zelda playing out in the Child/Adult Timelines instead of the Defeat Timeline) and, if that's the case, it definitely gives Nintendo an out on saying "Yep, timelines converged, now it doesn't matter anymore."

Or they could also just go "it's not in any of the timelines, get over it."

There's one in the shrine near the Central Hyrule Tower if you haven't done that shrine yet. Also that shrine is insanely good, so do it anyway.

agreed with this whole post. i had the same thoughts but i dont word as good as this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
holy poo poo that dude is tall

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just think the time line is going to be whatever sounds cool or makes for neat references like lost in time, skyward bound or shrouded in the embers of twilight and it is folly to try to piece everything together in a way that makes sense, even if it's Nintendo trying to do it

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Bruceski posted:

Oh clever. I used stasis to remove the timing element.

I kept the balls under Magnesis and moved them gently out of the way so I could pass them before setting them back in place :shobon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do I get anything unique by scanning my Smash Zelda amiibo in this game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

This game does the "climb a tower to reveal the map" thing better than any other game with that mechanic precisely because it doesn't populate your map with icons. It's not Link using the vantage point to mark stuff on his map--it's you, the player, using the vantage point to see what you can find. Yeah, it reveals map geography and place names, but after that, it's up to you to mark shrines or cool things you want to check out or that Fairy Fountain you think you saw. I get much more excited about climbing towers in this than I do in any other game with that mechanic because of how active the "find cool poo poo" part is afterwards.

Agreed with this and I'll add that I get excited to climb a new tower because I know I can forever warp back to it and use it as a literal jumping off point to paraglide around and find new stuff/get places fast.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Internet Kraken posted:

Do I get anything unique by scanning my Smash Zelda amiibo in this game?

Bows, materials, and rarely the Twilight Bow

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My new favorite thing to do is wear the Rito headdress and pants to get two levels of Cold Protection and then walk around shirtless in -15F because gently caress the weather.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone have a good spot to farm ore? I need to make money and that deer hunting mini game sucks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Other than Amiibo weapons and the Master Sword, are there any other unbreakable weapons in the game? (Are Amiibo weapons breakable? I thought someone said they weren't so I assumed, but I have 0 Amiibo and I'm not about to start now, so I have no idea.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Breath of the Wild - Hijacked by Ganon

E: Amiibo weapons break, dunno who told you they didn't.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RCarr posted:

Anyone have a good spot to farm ore? I need to make money and that deer hunting mini game sucks.
Wait until evening in some places, then hunt the glowing flies and mix them with monster junk to make elixirs. Faster and less of a hassle, especially as there's a few guaranteed spots with it. (One I remember is ninja village)

Beats mining at least

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've only discovered four "regions" in the game out of the fifteen I think I counted, just everything to the east and Zora's Domain and I spent like two hours this morning clearing out sidequests and I haven't even seen a full third of the full map yet.

this is a hefty game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Should I be buying a pro controller for this game? Do any of the controls get less awkward with one as compared to the tablet?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Should I be buying a pro controller for this game? Do any of the controls get less awkward with one as compared to the tablet?

I've been doing fine with the game both in tablet mode and the joycons separated (no grip). The Pro feels great but isn't necessary at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sorry, I should specify, my question was for Wii U

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think so. I got a pro controller with it and I don't regret it.

The controls never stop being kind of awkward, though, especially weapon switching. I do think the default controls make more sense with a Wii U controller layout than a Switch one (jump being on X is a lot nicer when the right thumbstick is above X, for example).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I bought a Pro controller for this game since I honestly couldn't imagine playing this game with the gamepad, and it's been ace so far, haven't gone back and tried with the gamepad though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do the gyro puzzles work in the WiiU version if you're using the pro controller?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sorry, I should specify, my question was for Wii U

Wii U Pro doesn't have gyro so aiming is just Worse with Pro.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

parallelodad posted:

How do the gyro puzzles work in the WiiU version if you're using the pro controller?

They make you switch to the pad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good call, didn't think of that

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've spent about 15 hours with the game and I probably wouldn't score it higher than a 7. There's too many little flaws that add up.

- You don't know if that monster will one-shot you. Go west and the blue moblin kills you in one hit. Go east and the exact same blue moblin barely takes a quarter of a heart out. There's nothing at all to differentiate them. The only way to tell if a region in the game is 'appropriate' to your character's state is by saying hello to one of the mobs and maybe dying immediately, in which case you pick a different region to trudge to. If it was one thing Nintendo was trying to copy Dark Souls on, they failed it miserably. The skeletons near the firelink shrine kicked your rear end but still let you run away. Zelda makes you die instantly and maybe lose 5-10 minutes of time if you were unlucky enough to miss an auto-save trigger.

- The graphics are consistently inconsistent. Some areas look amazing, others look washed out and plain unfinished with low resolution textures and no effects. The models are exceptionally well done but sometimes they appear in environments taken straight out of the PS1-era. The entire game should have gone with the cel-shaded aesthetic I feel. By trying Windwaker (models) and Twilight Princess (environments) aesthetics together the game makes too many compromises and ends up looking stodgy for a 2017 game.

- The technical performance. WAY too many frame drops and slowdowns that even makes it less fun to play, if you're fighting two+ monsters in high grass on a sunny day, the input lag is intolerable and using bows are much harder than they should be. I play in undocked mode to keep the drops to a minimum, squinting at the little screen half of the time. 20FPS- is embarassing and lousy for a Wii U port on a system that's multiple times more powerful. The Switch's lousy ergonomics in handheld mode are another problem unrelated to the game altogether.

- The controls and menu system is poor, especially in combat when you're trying to do multiple things at once. I'm sure it comes with time but I'm about 15 hours in and I'm still struggling with them. To be fair, that's partly down to Nintendo's hosed up AB/XY button placement. I just can't undo 10 years of Xbox controls muscle memory. That said, it doesn't excuse the inability to quick select consumables, or the inability to throw damaged shields and bows. There's no real control customization either and some of the placements are odd. Bomb throwing should be the right trigger not the bumper for instance.

There are also plenty that the game does exceptionally well - it's the best 'survival' game but that's always been a low bar. I just really can't see why a graphically poor, technically shoddy, clunky-controlling game with empty environments have 98% on metacritic. I just can't see it at all. I've done two guardians and the 'click' just hasn't happened for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you spend 15 hours on this game and not realize that different weapons deal different amounts of damage :psyduck:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've spent about 15 hours with the game and I probably wouldn't score it higher than a 7. There's too many little flaws that add up.

- You don't know if that monster will one-shot you. Go west and the blue moblin kills you in one hit. Go east and the exact same blue moblin barely takes a quarter of a heart out. There's nothing at all to differentiate them. The only way to tell if a region in the game is 'appropriate' to your character's state is by saying hello to one of the mobs and maybe dying immediately, in which case you pick a different region to trudge to. If it was one thing Nintendo was trying to copy Dark Souls on, they failed it miserably. The skeletons near the firelink shrine kicked your rear end but still let you run away. Zelda makes you die instantly and maybe lose 5-10 minutes of time if you were unlucky enough to miss an auto-save trigger.

- The graphics are consistently inconsistent. Some areas look amazing, others look washed out and plain unfinished with low resolution textures and no effects. The models are exceptionally well done but sometimes they appear in environments taken straight out of the PS1-era. The entire game should have gone with the cel-shaded aesthetic I feel. By trying Windwaker (models) and Twilight Princess (environments) aesthetics together the game makes too many compromises and ends up looking stodgy for a 2017 game.

- The technical performance. WAY too many frame drops and slowdowns that even makes it less fun to play, if you're fighting two+ monsters in high grass on a sunny day, the input lag is intolerable and using bows are much harder than they should be. I play in undocked mode to keep the drops to a minimum, squinting at the little screen half of the time. 20FPS- is embarassing and lousy for a Wii U port on a system that's multiple times more powerful. The Switch's lousy ergonomics in handheld mode are another problem unrelated to the game altogether.

- The controls and menu system is poor, especially in combat when you're trying to do multiple things at once. I'm sure it comes with time but I'm about 15 hours in and I'm still struggling with them. To be fair, that's partly down to Nintendo's hosed up AB/XY button placement. I just can't undo 10 years of Xbox controls muscle memory. That said, it doesn't excuse the inability to quick select consumables, or the inability to throw damaged shields and bows. There's no real control customization either and some of the placements are odd. Bomb throwing should be the right trigger not the bumper for instance.

There are also plenty that the game does exceptionally well - it's the best 'survival' game but that's always been a low bar. I just really can't see why a graphically poor, technically shoddy, clunky-controlling game with empty environments have 98% on metacritic. I just can't see it at all. I've done two guardians and the 'click' just hasn't happened for me.

It's the weapons. The weapons let you know if a blue bokoblin will caress you or rip you head to rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Your Computer posted:

How do you spend 15 hours on this game and not realize that different weapons deal different amounts of damage :psyduck:

Yes congratulations on focusing on literally one line. It's a valid complaint sorry
There are mobs with tiny weak looking weapons that do 4-5 hearts damage, and other mobs with huge spiked weapons that do maybe 1-2.