Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Switch isn't a real video game console since it doesn't have a port of Resident Evil 4

I really want one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GUI posted:

The Switch isn't a real video game console since it doesn't have a port of Resident Evil 4

I really want one...

Give it time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just realized I really want to see a superhero game use the Nemesis system. Like, something that isn't tied to Marvel or DC or anything, but a new superhero universe, and the Nemesis System is what determines who your rogues gallery and archenemy end up being as you defend the city from a bunch of small-time supervillains all clamoring over each other for wealth and power.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I just realized I really want to see a superhero game use the Nemesis system. Like, something that isn't tied to Marvel or DC or anything, but a new superhero universe, and the Nemesis System is what determines who your rogues gallery and archenemy end up being as you defend the city from a bunch of small-time supervillains all clamoring over each other for wealth and power.

the next Batman game is rumored to utilize this poo poo but idk if there's any truth to the rumor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Batman video games are kind of like the Nemesis system in that I keep hoping they just go away but inevitably they return, each one more messed-up looking and horrifyingly broken than the last.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've said this before, but I'm really dissappointed that all the batman games use a setting that fills the world only with enemies for batman to fight. It's always the apocalyptic Arkham setting. I want a batman game with a Gotham full of civilians just trying to get by and True Crime style random incidents. As Batman, you work "with" the police to clean up corruption and organized crime in Gotham. But two types of villains rise here: Criminals you bust, and civilians who you don't save. When a crime happens, sometimes the victim resents Batman for not saving them or their family or whatever.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't know they were making another Batman game, is it Rocksteady? I can't find anything about it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like, they won't make another Arkham Batman game, right?

Right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming it's going to be Arkham Nation, where the Joker is somehow the president. And you have to stop him from declaring war on the UK or something.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I only bought one batman game and it completely refused to work because games for windows live is unbelievably terrible and the fuckers at steam refused to refund me

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's a rumour going for over a year now where it'll be a game where you play as Batman's son and it's completely disconnected from the Arkham universe despite having similar gameplay. ~~Rumours~~ also say it'll scrap the one nigh plot point all Arkham games had, take place in Gotham and have civilians.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm still burned out on the Arkham formula after Origins. I just don't want to play that drat game again unless they take it in a completely different direction.

Asylum was great, City was fun but diluted, and I shouldn't have even played Origins. Haven't played Knight obvs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

The Switch launched with like 8 games. I think not having Netflix is the least of its launch software problems.

Yeah, but looking over the launch titles of every Nintendo handheld, even their most successful have had pretty terrible or limited launch titles. Arguably the best was the GBA, but that was based mostly on ports of already-favorites, with the only cool new one being Castlevania.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's a very lean launch but FAST RMX and Snipperclips are great titles that I am enjoying when I'm not completely absorbed in BotW

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When has any system launched with more than like one game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean all launch lineups are kinda bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like the best selling title at launch for PS2, which is the most successful console ever, was a DVD of the matrix

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dont buy consoles at launch friends

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

babypolis posted:

dont buy consoles at launch friends

I'm very happy with my portable breath of the wild

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

have to say im a lil jelly of people playing botw because it looks amazing but once you finish that its gonna collect dust for a while, probably

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

babypolis posted:

have to say im a lil jelly of people playing botw because it looks amazing but once you finish that its gonna collect dust for a while, probably

Splatoon 2 is coming out during summer. Also it's not like there is any shortage of games at the moment.

Jesus christ there are a lot of good games out/coming out

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 8, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

For a long time, maybe since Crackdown, I've been dreaming of a Spider-Man: Gang War game featuring his organized crime (and henchmen-heavy) villains. The Nemesis system reinforced that idea for me, though it wouldn't necessarily need that system exactly. But it would be that same overall idea where you have the city carved up by mob bosses and supervillains and it's up to you to take down all their operations. But I'll settle for just seeing Mr. Negative in the new PS4 game coming out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

babypolis posted:

That's kinda all games, though. Besides Mario Maker I can't think of a game over the past several years that I've continued to play well after it "beating" it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least the Switch has the distinction of launching with a really excellent game for it. Granted, it isn't exclusive, but it's still something truly fun and cool you can do with your Switch right away. Meanwhile the best game that came out for the PS4 on launch was probably AC4: Black Flag? (Actually it was probably Resogun but let's stick to the "big" ones.)

babypolis posted:

I gotta admit I wish I'd gotten a Switch for BotW. I have it for Wii U and it's a blast, but having it in portable form would be nuts. I'm probably going to rebuy it when I eventually do get a Switch for that exact reason. If only I could transfer my save then :smith:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

Splatoon 2 is coming out in the Summer. Also it's not like there is any shortage of games at the moment.

Jesus christ there are a lot of good games out/coming out

yeah thats why I cant justify finding some way to play botw as good as it looks

I mean gently caress I havent even beaten witcher 3 yet and theres so much good stuff out there right now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I don't understand about the Switch: how the hell did Nintendo not get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ready for launch? It's a rerelease of a game that's been out for a couple years now, for gently caress's sake. How does that need two months after launch? Did they not even decide they were going to release it for Switch until too late to make the launch window or something?

Because honestly, that would've been the tipping point for me to buy a Switch at launch. One game I want to play isn't enough, but two might've done it. And while new games like Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey are clearly going to take more time because they're, y'know, new games, MK8 is a rerelease. I really would've thought that'd be feasible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

When has any system launched with more than like one game

The SNES launch is remembered for being legendary

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Harrow posted:

One thing I don't understand about the Switch: how the hell did Nintendo not get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ready for launch? It's a rerelease of a game that's been out for a couple years now, for gently caress's sake. How does that need two months after launch? Did they not even decide they were going to release it for Switch until too late to make the launch window or something?

The Wii U launched with 32 (e: looked up the correct number) games and then had nothing of real note for months and months. They're deliberately waiting to release bigger name games over the next 9 months in the lead up to the holiday season. Mario Kart in April, Splatoon in the summer, Mario Odyssey in the fall.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mak0rz posted:

Holy cow that launch title lineup :stare:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Goddamn X-Men: Wolverine Origins is so fun. Shame it shares the name with that appalling film.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy cow that launch title lineup :stare:

I just looked it up and apparently FF2/4 add ActRaiser weren't launch titles but I thought they were? Oh well the rest of the games are good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF2/4 and ActRaiser came out in time for Christmas, which is all that matters. :)

e: I know this because when I got an SNES literally all my Christmas list had on it were "FF2, ActRaiser, PilotWings"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Does the switch have any good party games yet? Not that dumb thing with ppl copying dance moves or whatever in the advert but more like Mario party or trivia games, those are really good

Anything like that?? 🤔🤔🤔

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the switch has like four games, but luckily one of them is snipperclips so yeah

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Add was the Dreamcast launch

Unrelated, I really like how fast you run in Nier. It's such a small thing that so many things get wing. Begging able to run through the works at top speed with no stamina limit is great

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/839542070050115584

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

He is just the worst

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Wii U launched with 32 (e: looked up the correct number) games and then had nothing of real note for months and months. They're deliberately waiting to release bigger name games over the next 9 months in the lead up to the holiday season. Mario Kart in April, Splatoon in the summer, Mario Odyssey in the fall.

Maybe that's a good enough reason, then.

I just wish they'd gotten MK8 out on launch because that would've been enough for me to take the plunge and then I wouldn't feel compelled to re-buy and re-play Breath of the Wild when I do get a Switch. (This is obviously an issue that probably only I have :v:)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MinibarMatchman posted:

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

Horizon definitely has a jump button and it actually has one of the best traversal systems in terms of "you can jump onto pretty much anything and keep momentum to keep jumping upwards"

And I already thought this guy was a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Feel like maybe they didn't need to create more demand at launch; they sold all the Switches right?

Be a while before the things are readily availible probably

• Locked thread