Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Moblin with a spear, run in fear.

Moblin with a bat, hit him in the nads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nessin posted:

-The lack of markers was a mistake in my view. All it meant is I spent a lot of time entering the map and creating my own pointlessly. I never cared about marking some particular vista or interesting scenery, I was marking shrines, collectibles I couldn't reach or solve yet, major resource nodes, enemy camps not easily visible on the map, all the stuff every other game gives you markers for. I get some people feel that takes the "magic" of exploration out, but different strokes for different folks. To me it just created more busy work.

Yeah sorry but gently caress no. Getting rid of map markers was one of the best ideas in the game. Every other open world game floods your map with markers and makes exploring the world a chore of filling out a checklist and having your eyes glued to the minimap at all times. You never discover anything, you never have to think about anything, it just becomes mindless. Making you engage with the world instead was the perfect decision to make. Especially since they give you a tool which lets you easily mark stuff down from afar by looking at it in first person.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For a game that literally has no review lower than 9/10 a 7/10 is quite jarring and I'd expect some sharp criticism of what you said.

I...somewhat understand where you're coming from, but I feel like you're stretching to find complaints on a game that is getting universal praise. You sound like you went into this game determined to not like it.

Edit: Claiming that the lack of markers that pop up upon hitting a tower is...a criticism, but one that I strongly disagree with. This whole game is designed to give you this massive playground to do whatever you want with, including littering it with interesting things the entire way. That's also where the complaint about it being empty is amazing to me, I have never felt that way at all.

The 2-3 people who are complaining about the game in this thread feel like they are playing an entirely different game to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've spent about 15 hours with the game and I probably wouldn't score it higher than a 7. There's too many little flaws that add up.

- You don't know if that monster will one-shot you. Go west and the blue moblin kills you in one hit. Go east and the exact same blue moblin barely takes a quarter of a heart out. There's nothing at all to differentiate them. The only way to tell if a region in the game is 'appropriate' to your character's state is by saying hello to one of the mobs and maybe dying immediately, in which case you pick a different region to trudge to. If it was one thing Nintendo was trying to copy Dark Souls on, they failed it miserably. The skeletons near the firelink shrine kicked your rear end but still let you run away. Zelda makes you die instantly and maybe lose 5-10 minutes of time if you were unlucky enough to miss an auto-save trigger.

Their damage is based on the weapon they have. You have to observe that. The first blue bokoblin you're talking about likely had a simple wooden club while the second probably had a shiny sword or gnarly spiked one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yes congratulations on focusing on literally one line. It's a valid complaint sorry
There are mobs with tiny weak looking weapons that do 4-5 hearts damage, and other mobs with huge spiked weapons that do maybe 1-2.

Why do I have to focus on anything else but one line? I'm not reviewing your post, I'm stating my confusion at your statement that it's ~so random~ how much damage you take.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha why can't I go into Gerudo Town as a guy even after I beat the dungeon? I just saved your whole poo poo, idiots

vvvv this guy isn't very smart lol

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 8, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Kirios posted:

For a game that literally has no review lower than 9/10 a 7/10 is quite jarring and I'd expect some sharp criticism of what you said.

I...somewhat understand where you're coming from, but I feel like you're stretching to find complaints on a game that is getting universal praise. You sound like you went into this game determined to not like it.

I spent 330 quid just to play it, believe me I wanted to love the game like my firstborn.
No I didn't stretch to find complaints, those issues are very in-your-face and I think that when two posters quickly jumped on literally 1 line about the weapons and ignored the rest without trying to rebutt them, it says something.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yes congratulations on focusing on literally one line. It's a valid complaint sorry

lol gently caress off buddy. people are allowed to disagree with you and point out flaws in your reasoning

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Well I like the game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Macintosh HD posted:

Well I like the game

But it's so random how you die!!!!! unless you actually look at the game and pay attention

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

haha why can't I go into Gerudo Town as a guy even after I beat the dungeon? I just saved your whole poo poo, idiots

Rules are rules :j:

I just discovered the hidden clothing store and uh.. back to the mines I guess. I'm not sure my house cost this much.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Don't get too mad friends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

- You don't know if that monster will one-shot you. Go west and the blue moblin kills you in one hit. Go east and the exact same blue moblin barely takes a quarter of a heart out. There's nothing at all to differentiate them. The only way to tell if a region in the game is 'appropriate' to your character's state is by saying hello to one of the mobs and maybe dying immediately, in which case you pick a different region to trudge to. If it was one thing Nintendo was trying to copy Dark Souls on, they failed it miserably. The skeletons near the firelink shrine kicked your rear end but still let you run away. Zelda makes you die instantly and maybe lose 5-10 minutes of time if you were unlucky enough to miss an auto-save trigger.

Their weapons differentiate them. In general, if an enemy is something you haven't seen before or is a new color variant you haven't seen before, assume it's strong enough to be a serious threat, and if it has a weapon that looks like a real weapon, or a club that is really big and scary, assume it's going to kill you in one or two hits. The more "real" a weapon looks, the more damage it's probably going to do, and the spikier it is, the more damage it's probably going to do.

I had this problem too for a while, but then I realized I could scout ahead with the slate's scope and see what enemy weapons look like and get a good idea of how dangerous they are. (Also, as soon as you reach Kakariko Village, you can and should start carrying around fairies, because you don't need bottles for them this time and they still revive you when you die.) I also appreciate just how much this game will let you buff yourself to gently caress up enemies way above your pay grade if you're into doing a lot of gathering and cooking.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

- The graphics are consistently inconsistent. Some areas look amazing, others look washed out and plain unfinished with low resolution textures and no effects. The models are exceptionally well done but sometimes they appear in environments taken straight out of the PS1-era. The entire game should have gone with the cel-shaded aesthetic I feel. By trying Windwaker (models) and Twilight Princess (environments) aesthetics together the game makes too many compromises and ends up looking stodgy for a 2017 game.

Style-wise, I don't agree that it has "realistic" Twilight Princess-esque environments or Wind Waker-like models. It's sort of halfway between in both cases. It looks to me like it's trying to emulate Studio Ghibli a bit. That said, outdoor environments with lots of greenery look a lot better than outdoor environments without that, because the actual textures aren't great and without lots of grass to cover them, it's a lot more obvious.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

- The technical performance. WAY too many frame drops and slowdowns that even makes it less fun to play, if you're fighting two+ monsters in high grass on a sunny day, the input lag is intolerable and using bows are much harder than they should be. I play in undocked mode to keep the drops to a minimum, squinting at the little screen half of the time. 20FPS- is embarassing and lousy for a Wii U port on a system that's multiple times more powerful. The Switch's lousy ergonomics in handheld mode are another problem unrelated to the game altogether.

I haven't noticed any input lag on the Wii U, but that's Wii U, not Switch, so I can't really comment on your own experience. No argument re: performance, though. I can understand why this game would chug on the Wii U but it's not a well-done port to the Switch by a long shot from everything I could see.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

- The controls and menu system is poor, especially in combat when you're trying to do multiple things at once.

Weapon switching is awful and I have no idea why you can't quick-slot consumables (did the horse whistle really need to be a dedicated button?), so no argument there.

That said, I think this is one of those games that's greater than the sum of its parts. Like, I could make a list a lot like yours for Dark Souls but still come out calling it a 9/10 game easy because the overall experience of it overcomes some of the weird control or gameplay decisions and technical gently caress-ups. I feel the same way about Zelda: you're definitely not wrong in your technical and graphical criticisms, and the controls really are awkward as poo poo, but the overall experience of it overcomes that easily for me. It's got some of the best world design I've ever seen in an open world game. The physics-based puzzles are fantastic. The atmosphere is fantastic (with a couple of exceptions where bad texture work with nothing to hide it kinda undermines it).

It's something I can't really quantify except to point out some ways it takes open world mainstays and makes them something more interactive and therefore a lot more worthwhile as a game mechanic (like climbing towers to reveal the map instead just letting you actually see things and mark them yourself), so I can't really account for the game just not clicking, I guess.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've spent about 15 hours with the game and I probably wouldn't score it higher than a 7. There's too many little flaws that add up.

- The graphics are consistently inconsistent. Some areas look amazing, others look washed out and plain unfinished with low resolution textures and no effects. The models are exceptionally well done but sometimes they appear in environments taken straight out of the PS1-era. The entire game should have gone with the cel-shaded aesthetic I feel. By trying Windwaker (models) and Twilight Princess (environments) aesthetics together the game makes too many compromises and ends up looking stodgy for a 2017 game.

- The technical performance. WAY too many frame drops and slowdowns that even makes it less fun to play, if you're fighting two+ monsters in high grass on a sunny day, the input lag is intolerable and using bows are much harder than they should be. I play in undocked mode to keep the drops to a minimum, squinting at the little screen half of the time. 20FPS- is embarassing and lousy for a Wii U port on a system that's multiple times more powerful. The Switch's lousy ergonomics in handheld mode are another problem unrelated to the game altogether.

- The controls and menu system is poor, especially in combat when you're trying to do multiple things at once. I'm sure it comes with time but I'm about 15 hours in and I'm still struggling with them. To be fair, that's partly down to Nintendo's hosed up AB/XY button placement. I just can't undo 10 years of Xbox controls muscle memory. That said, it doesn't excuse the inability to quick select consumables, or the inability to throw damaged shields and bows. There's no real control customization either and some of the placements are odd. Bomb throwing should be the right trigger not the bumper for instance.

There are also plenty that the game does exceptionally well - it's the best 'survival' game but that's always been a low bar. I just really can't see why a graphically poor, technically shoddy, clunky-controlling game with empty environments have 98% on metacritic. I just can't see it at all. I've done two guardians and the 'click' just hasn't happened for me.

This is a great troll post.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
gerudos didn't get to be best zelda race by breaking their hard No Boys Allowed rule

anyway I went to go talk to Beedle to buy some frogs so I could give them to a Zora child who had to sell them to make money for his family now this mother is missing and he gave me an ancient arrow used to kill the Guardians for free

thanks dude

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's a great comeback, pal :thumbsup:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't be ridiculous, you didn't save anything. That lovely blonde girl who was here earlier is the one who saved everyone. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo™ Wii-U® video game console.

Hope this helps.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Moltrey posted:

gerudos didn't get to be best zelda race by breaking their hard No Boys Allowed rule
They broke it once and now the result is an evil pig-shaped cloud of hatred and spite.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

That's a great comeback, pal :thumbsup:

I'm sorry you feel the need to make this a you vs me thing. Enjoy the game!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo™ Wii-U® video game console.

Hope this helps.

hosed up that its not the Nintendo™ Switch® version

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I spent 330 quid just to play it, believe me I wanted to love the game like my firstborn.
No I didn't stretch to find complaints, those issues are very in-your-face and I think that when two posters quickly jumped on literally 1 line about the weapons and ignored the rest without trying to rebutt them, it says something.

The vast majority of your post is subjective. The part about energies doing random damage is the only objective thing and it's incorrect.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

calm down

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hope this helps.

MODS?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Graphics/framerate issues and UI quibbles are like the well known criticisms of this game, it mostly comes down to how much these bug you on a personal level.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You dont have one or several hundred metacritic accounts do you?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you must address all of my points one after the other with proper APA citations or address none of them!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hope this helps.

fuk u

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I upgraded my hyrule trousers to level 4.

I think Link is going to need a new pair after that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Honestly these were more entertaining

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/user-reviews?dist=negative

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

how can dis be a great game it izn't even gud graphics like my favourite games horizon and cod

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Graphics/framerate issues and UI quibbles are like the well known criticisms of this game, it mostly comes down to how much these bug you on a personal level.

Yes, I can't disagree that it has graphics and framerate issues, especially given that the Switch should, on paper, probably be able to run this at 1080p and with much fewer frame drops in docked mode and the only reason I can think of that it can't is because it's a rushed port. I'd love it if they released an optimization patch in the future but I think they would've announced they're working on something like that by now.

I also can't argue with someone who hates the controls, because there are a few things about them that I think are just confusing as hell, like the weapon-switching system.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Your Computer posted:

lol gently caress off buddy. people are allowed to disagree with you and point out flaws in your reasoning

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

you must address all of my points one after the other with proper APA citations or address none of them!

I would very much like someone to respond to my response because I did exactly that (although I didn't cite anything I'm sorry, I have failed :negative:)

I am perhaps too interested in talking about a game's faults and the differences in people's subjective experiences and/or subjective experience of objective flaws which maybe Something Awful Games Forum isn't the right place for I dunno

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 8, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Don't get too mad friend?

Actually this is getting really loving stupid. Let's talk about horse names. What is everyone naming their horses? I'm gonna name my horse Polnareff

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Don't get too mad friend?

Actually this is getting really loving stupid. Let's talk about horse names. What is everyone naming their horses? I'm gonna name my horse Polnareff

named my white horse shadowfax

wish i'd named the previous horse scrublord b/c it got oneshot by a lynel arrow

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I named my horse Potato

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Asssssy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I've only caught two horses, but their names are Butz and Bepis.

They're terrible horses.