Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

My favorite hypocritical aspect of this turd burger's existence is that he's a loving libertarian who shits on people who get food stamps and all of that yet he makes his money from patreon donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who's Colin Moriarty and why should I care what he thinks if that's a typical example?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also the follow-up to that is all "My woman is in bed next to me and she thought it was funny, looks like you got TRIGGERED." Reading replies and comments is always a worthwhile endeavor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNH1Jj4UTDI

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I hate how the term triggered has been turned into a joke. :mad:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Who's Colin Moriarty and why should I care what he thinks if that's a typical example?

I think he's the villain of Sherlock.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Why are you posting what MRA weirdos on Twitter think about here

I don't need that everywhere dude

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Q not equal E

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

haveblue posted:

IGN games ~journalist~

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I think he's the villain of Sherlock.

Man, season 4 is even worse than I thought. REDBEARD WASN'T A DOG GUYS LOL

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

Climbing mechanics: Zelda lets you climb literally anything that isn't in a shrine or a dungeon. Horizon has Tomb Raider-style climbing, where you can only grab onto ledges or hand-holds when they're specifically made to be that. (This can be a little jarring in Horizon sometimes, when Aloy can't grab on to a ledge to jump up to a place that she can clearly reach, and it's a place that you can walk to just by walking around and finding a ramp up. It gets mildly annoying sometimes, but it's not a huge deal.)

Weapon durability: Horizon has none--your weapons will never break. In Zelda, weapons are really fragile compared to what you're probably used to from durability mechanics. The majority of weapons you find, especially in the early game, will last you two to three fights max before they explode (literally). That said, most enemies you fight also use weapons and any weapon an enemy can use, so can you. And eventually you start to find more durable weapons and at least one truly unbreakable weapon. You also can never repair weapons, though some specific weapons can be "remade" if they break.

Enemy variety: Hoo boy, that's kind of a tough one. Zelda has way better variety in fights with enemies on Link's scale--I won't say human or even necessarily humanoid, but fighting bokoblins, moblins, and lizalfos in Zelda has a lot of variety because they can use lots of weapon types and different tactics on you. In Horizon, human enemies are pretty one-note and not that fun to fight. On the other hand, Horizon does have like 20 awesome robots to fight and, for the most part, they're all unique experiences to fight, especially the bigger ones. I'd say Horizon's the clear winner here, but I'd also say that Horizon's combat in general is the best I've ever seen in an open world game.

Travel: Zelda lets you be a lot more mobile and go drat near literally anywhere. Plus, you have a glider. Horizon's mobility options are comparatively a lot more limited.

Hidden stuff and collectibles: This is where Zelda blows Horizon out of the water (where Horizon blows Zelda out of the water in the combat department). Horizon does have a rough equivalent to Zelda's shrines, but they're bigger and there are only four or five of them total. Plus, Horizon marks stuff on your map for you, even when you haven't climbed a tower to reveal that region sometimes, so you don't often stumble on total mysteries out in the wild. Zelda's totally different. Climbing a tower in Zelda does reveal map geography, but it doesn't place any map markers for you--instead, you get a great vantage point from the tower and you can actually mark things you can see from there while looking through your scope. It's a much more active process and makes you feel a lot more like you're actually exploring. And the koroks are nearly ubiquitous, while Horizon's little collectibles are in smaller number (and also you can buy cheap maps to mark their general areas on your map for you).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Quest For Glory II posted:

IGN games ~journalist~

Former one, he left IGN a few years ago with Greg Miller and two other random IGN people I don't remember and started a patreon.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was born in 1990 so I don't really know what it was like, but I imagine going from NES music to this was fuckin' neck-hair raising stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yuzo Koshiro is the best

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not a Children posted:

I was born in 1990 so I don't really know what it was like, but I imagine going from NES music to this was fuckin' neck-hair raising stuff

You are correct but it really depends on whether or not you played C64 or Amiga games, which were melting faces with their soundtracks long before the SNES was around.

I didn't so it kicked rear end to hear this poo poo for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkH2zETKqws

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

to the few people who own both zelda and horizon, what are the main differences? just off the top of my head I'm thinking it's in:
--climbing mechanics
--weapon durability
--enemy variety

...but I'm curious how the locomotion of parachute stuff in Zelda compares to what moving around and traveling is like in Horizon, or if there's an analogue to the discoveries of kokoroks/shrines/shrine boss things in Horizon. Are they much different in world biome structures and platforming? I actually don't even know if Horizon has a jump button.

Jumping in Horizon:

https://gfycat.com/HomelyViciousCow

The uncharted-style traversal is sub-par, but servicable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Hidden stuff and collectibles: This is where Zelda blows Horizon out of the water (where Horizon blows Zelda out of the water in the combat department). Horizon does have a rough equivalent to Zelda's shrines, but they're bigger and there are only four or five of them total. Plus, Horizon marks stuff on your map for you, even when you haven't climbed a tower to reveal that region sometimes, so you don't often stumble on total mysteries out in the wild. Zelda's totally different. Climbing a tower in Zelda does reveal map geography, but it doesn't place any map markers for you--instead, you get a great vantage point from the tower and you can actually mark things you can see from there while looking through your scope. It's a much more active process and makes you feel a lot more like you're actually exploring. And the koroks are nearly ubiquitous, while Horizon's little collectibles are in smaller number (and also you can buy cheap maps to mark their general areas on your map for you).

All true but the best collectibles in Horizon (the data stuff and logs) have to actually be found, I don't think you can ever buy a map that shows where those are, and a lot of them are really hidden away or hidden in plain sight (like I was exploring a ruin last night and there was a text log datapad sitting inside a rusted car)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not a Children posted:

The first day I brought home my SNES, I heard that Actraiser track and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFm_EaLRmQ

It was truly a whole new world

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

All true but the best collectibles in Horizon (the data stuff and logs) have to actually be found, I don't think you can ever buy a map that shows where those are, and a lot of them are really hidden away or hidden in plain sight (like I was exploring a ruin last night and there was a text log datapad sitting inside a rusted car)

That's true, I forgot about the datapoints and text/audio logs in Horizon. Those are pretty well-hidden and found all over the place.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mak0rz posted:

You are correct but it really depends on whether or not you played C64 or Amiga games, which were melting faces with their soundtracks long before the SNES was around.

I didn't so it kicked rear end to hear this poo poo for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkH2zETKqws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_MCOF3yGA4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first day I brought home my SNES, I heard that Actraiser track and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFm_EaLRmQ

It was truly a whole new world

When my granparents bought me the SNES, my parents complained that "it's the same thing as what he already has (the NES)" and my retort was to load up the opening scene of FF2 and be like :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

When my granparents bought me the SNES, my parents complained that "it's the same thing as what he already has (the NES)" and my retort was to load up the opening scene of FF2 and be like :colbert:

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQyqX9iu_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYwagM63UBc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The more i play zelda the less i enjoy it.
The more i play hzd the more i enjoy it.

Both are good, id score them the same, but horizon has a lot more than i expected and zelda is turning out to have much less.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I still can't believe what a masterstroke it was to get Amon Tobin to do the soundtrack for Chaos Theory. He should score all Splinter Cell games for forever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Could the wait for MK8 be due to them setting up online servers for the Switch?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Maybe they're finishing up other stuff before they give MK8 its final, extremely bitter tasting coat of paint? I dunno

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

comparison

thanks, very useful. I'll probably get to play Horizon SOMEDAY probably in the sleepy july/august period where nothing else is coming out

haveblue posted:

the worst commentator on the KindaFunny channel because he reads poo poo like he's on the news. I laughed when I read his tweet "I'll keep saying what needs to be said" dude you write about loving children's toys please check yourself, you pathetic gently caress

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe people should be arrested the moment they make even a single penny from playing or writing about video games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I've said this before, but I'm really dissappointed that all the batman games use a setting that fills the world only with enemies for batman to fight. It's always the apocalyptic Arkham setting. I want a batman game with a Gotham full of civilians just trying to get by and True Crime style random incidents. As Batman, you work "with" the police to clean up corruption and organized crime in Gotham. But two types of villains rise here: Criminals you bust, and civilians who you don't save. When a crime happens, sometimes the victim resents Batman for not saving them or their family or whatever.

I had an idea for a GTA style game where you play as this small time crook who rises through the ranks of Gotham's underworld by working as a henchman for a bunch of Batman's rogues, and Batman would only appear in the game when you get the maximum wanted level or during special story missions, and he'd basically be unstoppable. And at the end you could become your own dumb themed villain or work with Batman to bring down Joker, and maybe some other endings because why not.

It probably wouldn't get made because people would get upset they're not playing as Batman.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe people should be arrested the moment they make even a single penny from playing or writing about video games

nintendo has the right idea, they won't let anyone stream or even do videos of their poo poo. I thought this was greedy at first but considering the people who do this poo poo for a living I fully support preventing them from making monies

mutata posted:

GameGrumps has a Breath of the Wild series right now, in fact.

that's unfortunate

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 8, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Uh, plenty of people make videos of Nintendo stuff. GameGrumps has a Breath of the Wild series right now, in fact.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

GDC is better than like 99% of video games journalism tbh, having an informed development perspective on a game is way more interesting to me than the opinions of someone whose qualifications are "I have played games a lot". I think there's also definitely an issue where a huge amount of games journalism is just regurgitating press releases; games development seems to be locked down pretty tight behind NDAs and the like, it's rare that you get a fun and interesting story of what's going on at a studio or anything actually leaking. It's mostly just "this game is coming out soon, here's a trailer", or "here's a review of a game that we're softballing a little bit so we'll keep receiving press invites from EA in the future".

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also botw had like 100k people watching streams of it the last time I looked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Red Bones posted:

GDC is better than like 99% of video games journalism tbh, having an informed development perspective on a game is way more interesting to me than the opinions of someone whose qualifications are "I have played games a lot". I think there's also definitely an issue where a huge amount of games journalism is just regurgitating press releases; games development seems to be locked down pretty tight behind NDAs and the like, it's rare that you get a fun and interesting story of what's going on at a studio or anything actually leaking. It's mostly just "this game is coming out soon, here's a trailer", or "here's a review of a game that we're softballing a little bit so we'll keep receiving press invites from EA in the future".

A couple years ago one of the Diablo 3 devs gave a talk at GDC about readability and all the little things they did with the art direction to make your character stand out even while a hundred monsters are exploding in showers of blood onscreen. That one really stuck out to me as super interesting and I've seen lots of other great panels since then, too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mutata posted:

Uh, plenty of people make videos of Nintendo stuff. GameGrumps has a Breath of the Wild series right now, in fact.

Nintendo makes you pay them for this unless you are really big i think.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At some point I'll do Nintendo games for my channel but I just keep putting it off with all the other games I have to play anyway, maybe in that time the Nintendo youtube program will get less lovely (their program doesn't even cover all games MADE by Nintendo internal studios which is weird)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Red Bones posted:

Games "journalism" seems perpetually stuck in the 90s. Little more than a PR mouthpiece and the occasional sidebar about how wacky Japan is. It's fun to read opinions and reviews on upcoming stuff but even reviews have barely gone anywhere.

DigitalFoundry maybe gets a little better with their performance analysis kind of stuff, but I've rarely if ever seen reviews go to that much depth over the entire game apart from forum rants.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

StrixNebulosa posted:

Still not gonna buy it though.

I'm looking at this game instead because apparently I'm in the mood for old, anime srpgs? It's not on sale, but...I still want to play it, so I might splurge a bit.

FirstAidKite posted:

lmao that art, those faces
Roberta Williams gonna sue somebody lol

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

exquisite tea posted:

A couple years ago one of the Diablo 3 devs gave a talk at GDC about readability and all the little things they did with the art direction to make your character stand out even while a hundred monsters are exploding in showers of blood onscreen. That one really stuck out to me as super interesting and I've seen lots of other great panels since then, too.

My favourite Blizzard GDC talk is the one where they reveal that Diablo 1 was developed as a turn-based roguelike and then they just changed the turn speed from "every time the player moves" to "multiple turns per second" because some of the dev team wanted to see what it'd look like in real time, and they decided to stick with it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red Bones posted:

the turn speed from "every time the player moves"

Like Superhot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

like dredmor