Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Shut up about sales numbers and talk about Switch games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Splatoon 2 isn't a port. Your insistence that it is just makes you sound ridiculous. The easy way you can see it isn't a port is it's called Splatoon 2.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

I am not saying it isn't going to sell. I am sure it will. I am sure it will be a fun and fantastic game just like the original. That statement was made in contrary to someone saying it was a brand new game (It isn't. It's a port with added features listed in my post) I do disagree it will be a system seller. It will sell into the base.

It has new stages, new single player campaign, new weapons, new music, new items, new multiplayer features. But it's not a new game. Gotcha. Again, your posts aren't worth reading.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
it sounds like an expansion pack

but, you know, full price

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I feel like you should probably learn to read before posting stupid opinions.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My favorite port of all time is probably Mario Galaxy 2. They were so lazy that they didn't even bother porting it to a different system!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wish that they'd stop producing ports of those Call of Duty games, literally making ports that are on the same console is so lazy.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Mario Kart 8 was the best-selling Wii U game by far, don't underestimate its appeal.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Is this a new thread game where we pretend we lost the part of our brain that can comprehend iterative design?

Because Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was a really lazy port of Assassin's Creed 2.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

do people really want to be comparing splatoon to call of duty and madden?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

deadly_pudding posted:

Is this a new thread game where we pretend we lost the part of our brain that can comprehend iterative design?

Because Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was a really lazy port of Assassin's Creed 2.

We're indulging utnayan so he can feel really smart

Edit: Your reminder that utnayan will find a product that has flaws and poo poo on it endlessly to make himself look like a prophet if it fails. At least he stopped trying to claim insider info this latest attempt

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RZA Encryption posted:

I went to 4 stores last night including two targets and couldn't find any. Got a nice hori hard case at Fry's, though.

Come play switch on my rooftop.

Motherfucker it's cold outside!
And yes, I saw none in stock online for Target stores until about 10pm. Targets closed at Midnight, and so I crossed my fingers they would have them at opening.

Segue:

Holy poo poo. I really wanted to like Zelda, but Handheld mode doesn't work well for me (I got big hands, I need more action in my analog sticks... etc etc) and TV mode with the Joycon grip was only Marginally better.

Pro Controller has solved all of that. I am so happy. Zelda is not tedious and difficult for me. I am a beast in it now!

I will say, my hope now layeth in an improvement on TV docked mode's performance. Any word on that from anyone?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

deadly_pudding posted:

Those stupid consumers buying it and considering it the 2nd best AC game.... don't they realize they just bought a port with a new storyline?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

You should ignore him and put him on the ignore list so that the thread can improve

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ohtsam posted:

Right? All I'm saying is that it was ludicrous of them to expect $60 for an idle game and a different set of crumbling Italian landmarks to climb.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

HyperPuma posted:

Bingo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mahoning posted:

Just wanna say that even if they never release another game for the Switch, the investment was totally worth it just to play Breath of the Wild.

, a game also available on Wii U

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

Agreed, it definitely has more potential than the WiiU, but they need to fix the joycon and push games out to maintain interest/hype. It will do better than the WiiU either way.

I don't see it replacing the 3DS unless they can make a smaller, handheld only, lower res screen version with permanent controls attached for cheaper ($150-$200). I think that would be ok, as 3D is interesting and became very usable with the N3DS/XL release, but not necessary. Also, dual screens is cool for having maps pulled up or inventory, however, people are used to other consoles and PC having just 1 screen and would adapt to a single screen handheld.

Basically, even though the Switch is portable, I don't see it knocking out their handheld market. I dunno, I just can't see as many people traveling with that as they would a 2DS/3DS/XL. Or an 8 year old sitting in the back of the car for hours playing it unless they detach the controllers and hang the console itself on the back of the headrest in front of them. Or parents spending $300 on each kid like they do with the $99 2DS.

I actually don't know if a scaled down handheld-only switch would make much of a difference for dedicated handheld players, and would probably muddy the waters because that would essentially be a dedicated 3DS successor, and not a Switch at all really. I don't really see anybody keeping their 3DS in their pockets, it's mostly nestled away in a bookbag or a satchel or something, where people also keep their tablets. I think it's mostly about traditionally handhel IP's coming over.

They do need to fix the hardware issues though. I haven't encountered any of them, including desync, but I've definitely read enough about them to know it's a thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It's not an expansion pack because it's got all that new stuff in the multiplayer plus has a full single player campaign. Unless we're calling Titanfall2 an expansion pack?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

HyperPuma posted:

Yes, when discussing multiplayer heavy games with smaller gameplay changes between each new game. But Splatoon2 has the bonus of not cheesing annual releases and is on an entirely new system.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

HyperPuma posted:

I'm laughing

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

VideoGames posted:

It's not an expansion pack because it's got all that new stuff in the multiplayer plus has a full single player campaign. Unless we're calling Titanfall2 an expansion pack?

ill allow it if it means i win the argument

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

How many games release on a new console with an expansion pack included for less than full price?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Let's think of other unjustly-priced games that claim to be sequels, but are actually full price expansion packs.

Super Mario World was definitely just SMB 3 with high-rez graphics and some new powerups.

I think if Gamefreak weren't a bunch of INDU$TRY $HILLS, then Sun/Moon could have easily been a New Game+ for XY.

Am I doing it right?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Majora's Mask is just an expansion to Ocarina of Time, it's the same game exactly

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

How many games release on a new console with an expansion pack included for less than full price?

no youre right i dont think its unusual that its priced and named like a new game, i was speaking just about the reality of whats included in the package

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Majora's Mask is just an expansion to Ocarina of Time, it's the same game exactly

:golfclap:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HyperPuma posted:

no youre right i dont think its unusual that its priced and named like a new game, i was speaking just about the reality of whats included in the package

but we don't actually know everything included in the package so????????

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I skipped on the Wii U but I did play some MK8 and I almost bought one for it so you bet your rear end that I'm hyped for the deluxe edition on April 28th.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Do not buy I Am Setsuna for anything more than $10-15.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

I actually don't know if a scaled down handheld-only switch would make much of a difference for dedicated handheld players, and would probably muddy the waters because that would essentially be a dedicated 3DS successor, and not a Switch at all really. I don't really see anybody keeping their 3DS in their pockets, it's mostly nestled away in a bookbag or a satchel or something, where people also keep their tablets. I think it's mostly about traditionally handhel IP's coming over.

They do need to fix the hardware issues though. I haven't encountered any of them, including desync, but I've definitely read enough about them to know it's a thing.

Probably true. I just think of my own scenarios when traveling and having to stuff my stuff and part of my kid's stuff into my backpack that I take on planes. My 2DS, 3DS and Vita cases all fit in the front pocket of my backpack. That Switch case takes up about 3x the room. Also, kids usually have smaller backpacks and 1/2 of it would be dedicated to a Switch vs a smaller portion for a 2DS/3DS. That may be a smaller portion of the market for handhelds than I am thinking it is and so the Switch may take over. Just something that makes me doubt it taking over the handheld market.

Maybe I am also secretly hoping for that Switch mini concept to become the revived Gameboy line.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

but we don't actually know everything included in the package so????????

i do

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sonic and All Stars Transformed was still better.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wheany posted:

, a game also available on Wii U

(a console which I ALSO didn't own and would have had to buy, but used.)

I totally should've bought that Fisher Price dead console to play one game instead of the brand new one that I can play wherever the gently caress I want.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pls spoil

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Olivil posted:

I skipped on the Wii U but I did play some MK8 and I almost bought one for it so you bet your rear end that I'm hyped for the deluxe edition on April 28th.

When Nintendo dropped the price, bundled MK8, and offered a free game dl they basically had me by the balls.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm sure this thing is going to extraordinarily well amongst service members. When I was in the navy drat near half my boat carried around a [3]DS with Pokémon in it and there was always either an Xbox or PlayStation hooked up in the mess.

If I were still in you're drat right I'd want to play Zelda in the rack.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kashuno posted:

pls spoil

Tweens in spandex shorts will spray each other down with brightly colored goo, and your tumblr feed will be filled with "woomy" memes for 6 months.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

(a console which I ALSO didn't own and would have had to buy, but used.)

I totally should've bought that Fisher Price dead console to play one game instead of the brand new one that I can play wherever the gently caress I want.

Tbqh if you haven't owned a WiiU at all I would recommend

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U (really more New Super Luigi U which has some great rear end levels and is not a cakewalk)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Maker (if your not a fan of random levels without themed worlds then probably stay away)
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm gonna buy MK8 again for the Switch, and I never did play Splatoon so even if it was a port, I'd still get it anyway. The only reason I never got it for the WiiU is because I don't have any friends who have one, and I don't really want to play exclusively with randos.

• Locked thread