Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

Ryan: 2
Sepinwall: 6

On a scale 1 to 5, how much do those reviewers suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

On a scale 1 to 5, how much do those reviewers suck?

They're two of the most respected around.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You mean it's WORSE than Luke Cage? loving hell.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Norwegian Rudo posted:

So, both Sepinwall and Mo Ryan have absolute blood on the floor reviews of Iron Fist out...

Complete misfire: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/iron-fist-review-netflix-marvel/

quote:

It’s easily the worst of the Netflix Marvel shows — where the others tend to start off well and then run into massive pacing problems around episode 8 or 9, Iron Fist begins as if it’s already at that sag point — and an unfortunate illustration of the perils of miscasting.

:ohdear:

e:

Snak posted:

Oh no. :(

Edit: of course, it's possible they just aren't ready for what's basically Mortal Kombat: The Series.

There are people that think the Mortal Kombat movie is bad, after all..

Based on Sepinwall's review, it looks like by episode 6 Danny still doesn't get to the fireworks factory flashback to a martial arts tournament. I am very disappointed that this probably isn't going to happen. Though with their seemingly super terrible fight choreography as shown in the trailers and confirmed in the reviews, this is probably for the better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 8, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BSam posted:

guys, it's marvel

it won't be bad.

Counterpoint: every season of a Marvel Netflix show aside from maybe Daredevil s1 has only had half a season of actually good material. If Iron Fist's front half is bad that's a terrible sign because usually they at least have the courtesy to start strong before petering out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of those guys super overrated the other 3 too so imagine how bad it has to be to get that reaction.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I went into this with pretty low expectations and this sounds rough

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Guy Mann posted:

Counterpoint: every season of a Marvel Netflix show aside from maybe Daredevil s1 has only had half a season of actually good material. If Iron Fist's front half is bad that's a terrible sign because usually they at least have the courtesy to start strong before petering out.
Or maybe they front loaded all the bad stuff and all the good batshit insane stuff is in the end half :v:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

It only gets better.

Very glad to hear this

Escobarbarian posted:

You mean it's WORSE than Luke Cage? loving hell.

Maybe they're like me and checked out after 1 and a half episodes so they're not even counting that one

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Ironically, if Danny Rand retired from drama to go be a lumberjack in the woods (can there be lumberjacks anywhere else?) It would be a neat arc.

In 2017? On stage at a rock and roll show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

It's Scott (Lumberjack Dexter) Buck.

Don't forget that Marvel Studios also put Scott (Lumberjack Dexter) Buck in charge of The Inhumans.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Timby posted:

Don't forget that Marvel Studios also put Scott (Lumberjack Dexter) Buck in charge of The Inhumans.

I wouldn't be surprised if that changes reeeeal quick, especially if social media reacts to this show the way the critical press did -- especially after the Asian-American Danny Rand campaign. Marvel has never eaten poo poo like this before.

Just for the record, I thought Asian-American Danny Rand would've been cool, but I didn't mind when they went traditional. I think you can get plenty of juice out of a story about a boy of great privilege being forcibly separated from society for years, only to return with an enlightened soul that his old friends and colleagues don't share or understand. It looks like Scott Buck, being Scott Buck, made the absolute least interesting version of that story possible, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought Luke Cage was pretty bad so this is a bummer. I thought the casting initially sounded really good and the implied K'un-lun stuff in DD S1 was really neat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I don't care a whole lot about the amount of K'un Lun stuff in the first season. I just think it needs to be a lot of sweet fights. Like, at the end of the day, Iron Fist is about punching poo poo really good. Luke Cage is impervious and his character is defined by all the things he can do with his power, Jessica Jones is clever and she figures people out and tries to help them, Daredevil tries to protect the innocent and turns his weakness into a strength. Iron Fist punches poo poo really good. Like, yeah, there's more to Danny Rand than that, but there's not a lot more to Iron Fist. Every Iron Fist is a warrior champion. That's their power: they fought poo poo good enough that they unlocked an upgrade to fight poo poo even better.

So like, make it a show about fighting poo poo good.

Like, I would be fine if we didn't see a flashback of Shao Lao until season 3, when they have the budget to do justice to a fight between a person and giant immortal CGI dragon. They could do it like Arrow, where the flashbacks are spaced out in parallel with the current storyline.

But if the show isn't full of sick fight scenes every episode, then like, why did they even make an Iron Fist show?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. I've mostly enjoyed all the Marvel Netflix series. DD S2 was badly paced and tried to do too much and Luke Cage had a way better first half than second half. And I guess Jessica Jones could just be too emotionally grueling for some. But I've gotten more good than bad out of all of them so I'll reserve judgment until I actually see Iron Fist.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Daredevil was good except for the ninja stuff. Less ninjas and more Punisher/Kingpin please.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Daredevil s2 would have been better just focusing on one or the other. It felt like two different seasons that they tried to haphazardly mash together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd have to rewatch it to give a fair analysis, but yeah, the main problem with DD S2 is it tries to fit too much into one short season. Punisher, Elektra, Kingpin. Then in the end you have The Hand which have gotten no real time and come off like generic foot soldiers from a cartoon that just mean nothing. If it had been a full season about Elektra and the Hand it probably would have been better. If it had been a full season about Punisher and Kingpin it probably would have been better. If it had been a season about Punisher and Elektra with no Hand or Kingpin it could have been better. But it tried to squeeze them all in and make them all fit and it was a bit of a rushed mess with really shallow parts due to time and focus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OMG The Americans came back last night? Why didn't you guys tell me?!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imposters 5 episodes is already better than half the shows on TV.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched it this morning. I love that show.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I only just found out that Last Man On Earth is back and the newest episode only drove home how much better the show would be if it was just an anthology series about comedians playing people dealing with living through the apocalypse instead of being a melodrama about a bunch of morons in a giant house being mean to each other.

https://i.imgur.com/BWDkEnZ.gifv

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guy Mann posted:

I only just found out that Last Man On Earth is back and the newest episode only drove home how much better the show would be if it was just an anthology series about comedians playing people dealing with living through the apocalypse instead of being a melodrama about a bunch of morons in a giant house being mean to each other.

https://i.imgur.com/BWDkEnZ.gifv

I watch it, but I really cannot stand Will Forte's character most of the time. He's alright when he's just a basic goofy guy with some crazy ideas, but sometimes they dial it up to 11 and it just becomes too over the top.

I agree that it needs more episodes like this. Standalone stories would definitely improve it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I bailed on LMOE after they killed off black Phil and regular Phil's brother made it to earth. I'm kind of surprised the show is still on, I've heard almost nothing about it since then.

DivisionPost posted:

Just for the record, I thought Asian-American Danny Rand would've been cool, but I didn't mind when they went traditional. I think you can get plenty of juice out of a story about a boy of great privilege being forcibly separated from society for years, only to return with an enlightened soul that his old friends and colleagues don't share or understand.

Unfortunately for them, Arrow is a show that already exists.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 9, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder if one day the kids who grew up when multicam sitcoms were popular will make YouTube videos where they edit out all the cutaways and times people emote to the camera to prove that the format is objectively terrible in the same way that people currently think it's a masterstroke to edit the audience reactions out of single camera sitcoms to show that they're all garbage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Already been done dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnedYYgg3N0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_m1DDdbqkc

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I wonder if one day the kids who grew up when multicam sitcoms were popular will make YouTube videos where they edit out all the cutaways and times people emote to the camera to prove that the format is objectively terrible in the same way that people currently think it's a masterstroke to edit the audience reactions out of single camera sitcoms to show that they're all garbage.

You've also confused your multicams and singlecams.

Don't they mute the audience laughter to try and demonstrate its not funny? If a singlecam comedy isn't funny, isn't the evidence right there on screen?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

You've also confused your multicams and singlecams.

Don't they mute the audience laughter to try and demonstrate its not funny? If a singlecam comedy isn't funny, isn't the evidence right there on screen?

Yeah, a single cam isn't going to have the laugh track, but the device that is over used, at least in two wildly successful shows (The Office and Parks and Rec) is that cut away to the camera, and/or "Jimming". Its still a style that works and serves a purpose. The Office definitely over used it and full on committed to it being a documentary crew. Parks and Rec just kind of had a chance for you to hear the inner thoughts of a character, without it being a full on "mockumentary".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Yeah, a single cam isn't going to have the laugh track, but the device that is over used, at least in two wildly successful shows (The Office and Parks and Rec) is that cut away to the camera, and/or "Jimming". Its still a style that works and serves a purpose. The Office definitely over used it and full on committed to it being a documentary crew. Parks and Rec just kind of had a chance for you to hear the inner thoughts of a character, without it being a full on "mockumentary".

I'm sure there are a handful of others, but outside of those two, the UK Office, and Modern Family do any other single cam sitcoms actually do it? It's hardly some epidemic that's used in every half hour comedy show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh Lyman posted:

I did

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know I said it last year but man, this year's season finale for Man Seeking Woman really seemed like a series finale. It's going to be kind of hard to continue the show under that name when Josh just got married. Also they redid the raining fish gag from the first episode which seems like it was meant to bookend things.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Imposters 5 episodes is already better than half the shows on TV.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I know I said it last year but man, this year's season finale for Man Seeking Woman really seemed like a series finale. It's going to be kind of hard to continue the show under that name when Josh just got married. Also they redid the raining fish gag from the first episode which seems like it was meant to bookend things.
I bet that they made it like that just in case it doesn't get renewed, so people can point to that episode as something that wrapped things up nicely. That was the case with the season two finale of Legit, except that it came out that FXX actually did cancel it a couple days before it aired. And I think Ugly Americans on Comedy Central was the same way.

Regardless, it was a great episode. The season was a bit off because it's about Josh's relationship with Lucy and not about Josh dating around, but it was never a wasted watch.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Haha, from Dan Fienberg's review:

quote:

Subtext. Daredevil's Matt Murdock is driven by his Catholic guilt, Jessica Jones by traumatic assault and consent issues and Luke Cage by America's multi-century history of imperiled black masculinity. Iron Fist arrives in a deep hole amid concerns about its curly-haired, blonde protagonist appropriating Asian culture, but the bigger problem ends up being that he's barely even appropriating. There's no specificity to Danny's experience other than the most generic of identity crises — like the world needed another billionaire vigilante — and Jones is far too placid a leading man to give any sense of Danny's internal torment. He's not placid in a Zen way, just tepid like room temperature. Rather than being a man who found enlightenment through tragedy and disassociation from his upbringing, Danny comes across like a spoiled frat boy who took a comparative religion class and spends a few months picking up coeds by telling them he's totally into meditation and tai chi now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Holy hell, is Legion ever good TV.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

Haha, from Dan Fienberg's review:

This is why i don't read reviews. Someone always has an axe to grind.

This cultural appropriation poo poo rubs me the wrong way. You can't have a society where people aren't allowed to use any aspect of another culture.
There are plenty of Asian martial arts movies, the art of kicking someone in the face has no barriers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's fine but it's also the case that I never see an Asian protagonist get martial arts training in some buddhist temple and then come back to America to kick some rear end. Why can't that happen once. The cultural appropriation thing isn't even his main complain anyway. Everyone says it's boring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
those bloody sjw critics!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

those bloody sjw critics!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm avoided saying that, it's dismissive and too broad a brush for rational discussion. I save that for people who yell over you while you're talking.

Homeslice might have an axe to grind or is professionally angry, i don't know who he is. Sticking to the show reviews would be good, arguing arbitrary politics and theory crafting reasons for drama, no one bats an eyelid when this stuff happens 99% of the time.

China sells it's culture wholesale, literally. Being angry at a film producer or actor is pathetic.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rocksicles posted:

This is why i don't read reviews. Someone always has an axe to grind.

This cultural appropriation poo poo rubs me the wrong way. You can't have a society where people aren't allowed to use any aspect of another culture.
There are plenty of Asian martial arts movies, the art of kicking someone in the face has no barriers.

It's a show in which I white man explains the ~true~ meaning of martial arts to his Asian sidekick. To somehow not mention any of that would be entirely worse.

Media has had a long long history with the White Saviour trope. Even if it's handled well it's still a loaded image. That IRON FIST so callously just blusters through it (As almost every review has mentioned), probably deserves to be pointed out. None of this "axe grinding" bullshit is needed.

• Locked thread