Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Tbqh if you haven't owned a WiiU at all I would recommend

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U (really more New Super Luigi U which has some great rear end levels and is not a cakewalk)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Maker (if your not a fan of random levels without themed worlds then probably stay away)
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101

They'll probably release most of those as ports on the Switch so more than a few dozen people have the chance to play them :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Harlock posted:

Do not buy I Am Setsuna for anything more than $10-15.

Maybe the Switch-exclusive content will be worth it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So with this out, to me it's still a device that has good ideas but some baffling decisions that will keep me from purchasing it, as well as design flaws and price gouging for accessories that might as well be must-haves.

As most reviews have given the advice to wait, that's what I'll do. They need to fix the dock scratching screens and the joycon connectivity, as well as allow saves to an SD card or cloud backups. I'll wait for their inevitable new version because I can see this thing having more and more problems the longer people use them. Seems Nintendo really did rush this out.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

They'll probably release most of those as ports on the Switch so more than a few dozen people have the chance to play them :ssh:

I really hope Toad Tracker gets support so another one gets made.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Kashuno posted:

pls spoil

it will have a mix of old and new content such that most people would classify it as a full price expansion

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mahoning posted:

W101 will be trapped on the WiiU forever. It'll be the WiiU's NCAA Football 14. The ones that do get rereleased will take literal years to come out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I am absolutely double dipping on MK8 Deluxe as having that game on a portable is beyond amazing.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Harlock posted:

Do not buy I Am Setsuna for anything more than $10-15.

Is it just not good or is it too short for $40?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Takoluka posted:

Maybe the Switch-exclusive content will be worth it?

The Switch-exclusive content is an AI-based PVP mode that isn't even included with the game at launch.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

+
Tropical Freeze
Color Splash
MK 8
Splatoon
Wolly World
Kirby

There were a pile of great exclusive games on that old system that doesn't exist and nobody cares about anymore

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ManSedan posted:

I'm sure this thing is going to extraordinarily well amongst service members. When I was in the navy drat near half my boat carried around a [3]DS with Pokémon in it and there was always either an Xbox or PlayStation hooked up in the mess.

If I were still in you're drat right I'd want to play Zelda in the rack.

My step-brother is a merchant marine, and he seemed pretty intrigued by Switch in tabletop mode. He plans on getting a Scorpio too, but yeah the portability of the switch should be a big draw for people that have to spend weeks or longer at sea.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Sonic and All Stars Transformed was still better.
Not gonna lie, I'd buy a Switch port of this. I doubt they'll add Mario as a character because oh no our Mario Kart sales, but if not him then Snipperclips.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the wii u kinda sold like poo poo straight ports of MK8 and Splatoon would probably be literal new games to many people

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RME posted:

the wii u kinda sold like poo poo straight ports of MK8 and Splatoon would probably be literal new games to many people

"These system sellers that failed to sell systems will surely sell the new system!"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FireMrshlBill posted:

Is it just not good or is it too short for $40?

It's mediocre at best and short. Find the I Am Setsuna thread I made for buyers remorse.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

"These system sellers that failed to sell systems will surely sell the new system!"

do you even have a roof?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

Fair, but the Switch looks cooler than the Wii U in every way. That and there isn't any confusion about what the Switch is like there was with the Wii U.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ethanol posted:

So I exchanged my joycons. It was in fact snapping in the wrist straps the wrong way that make the joycons have a little wobble when in handheld mode. The new joycons have two distinct plastic bumps that on the old joycon, were completely obliterated by the wrist strap removal.

New joycons are indeed rock solid and very clearly is not imagination. Just hope these ones don't have desync issues

Rip to all the people who broke their joycons on day 1

Well back too Zelda

Is there an exchange program? Or did you take it back to the place you bought it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still amazed even up to last year I still had people asking if the WiiU was just a accessory for the Wii.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kirios posted:

Why do people keep shortchanging the idea of playing games like BotW portably? That is a game changer that has literally never happened before. The ramp up from a 3DS or even a Vita is STAGGERING for a handheld.

It's just a more powerful portable console, it doesn't change the game any more than any other new generation of consoles.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Sometimes, a console is so bad that even amazing games won't get people to buy them.

I do find it funny however how Wii U owners continue to gush over it and try to convince people to buy it. It's like they are trying to convince themselves that they made a good purchase. I have no doubt that those Wii U games were, in fact, really good. But c'mon. Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Mahoning posted:

Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.

VG I think we have a new thread title!!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah but by the time it came out the Wii U was alread 'noted failed console'. They really messed up the WiiU, I got mine almost 2 years after launch in new bundle for $200 and ended up almost regretting it and returning it even then. I'm glad I hung in there, because it eventually had enough games to warrant the purchase. Switch has as many games I want in it's first year as I got for the WiiU in it's entire lifespan.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 8, 2017

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I do find it funny however how Wii U owners continue to gush over it and try to convince people to buy it. It's like they are trying to convince themselves that they made a good purchase. I have no doubt that those Wii U games were, in fact, really good. But c'mon. Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.

lol can you imagine

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wheany posted:

It's just a more powerful portable console, it doesn't change the game any more than any other new generation of consoles.

There are also - in America, at least - a lot of us who drive ourselves to and from work every day, for whom video games are a thing you do at home. Something being portable is less of a value-add and more of an excuse for expensive slow hardware.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Mahoning posted:

Sometimes, a console is so bad that even amazing games won't get people to buy them.

It was great I never regretted my purchase.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zelda armor:
I swear to god, if you don't dye your Zora armor red as a tribute to Mipha, you are a heartless monster. The helmet is easy to find if you know the clue and the legs are a reward for a Zora side quest. I think it only opens up after to regain control of the beast.

The stealth suit, of course, is wonderful and I'm a big fan of pure white dye on it. Makes me feel like Storm Shadow. After FINALLY finding the second great fairy (Tarry town. I went all over that area except the grove) I'm happy to report that set bonuses are cool but the Hylian and Guard sets don't get one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harlock posted:

It's mediocre at best and short. Find the I Am Setsuna thread I made for buyers remorse.

Honestly a JRPG that's short and not very complex sounds like the perfect game to me. How short we talking? FF4 short? Mystic Quest short?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

TheScott2K posted:

MK8 was one of the main reasons the Wii U sold systems. That bundled release was enormous for the console.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

The Wii U unironically loving sucked and a couple amazing games (that did sell consoles) wasn't gonna fix the inherent issues of the trash machine. I've owned every Nintendo console (Wii and Wii U were both gifts) but if I didn't get the Wii U as a gift I would've probably skipped it entirely. At least the Switch is actually good? Like, literally when the Wii U came out reviews were like "this gimmick is pretty stupid" at least with the Switch a lot of those same sites are like "This gimmick is actually pretty cool!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wheany posted:

On a technical level, no. But we don't consume games technically, we consume them experientially. I don't have any more fun playing a game because the console has more teraflops or something. I do if I can easily play it with friends and family.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still love my switch and still haven't hooked it up to my TV because I like having it all over the house.

Also MK8 was a trash port.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

There are also - in America, at least - a lot of us who drive ourselves to and from work every day, for whom video games are a thing you do at home. Something being portable is less of a value-add and more of an excuse for expensive slow hardware.

Yeah, I only have a 10 minute drive to work and don't travel much. Any portable systems I actually mostly play at home, so I wouldn't use the travel option of this too much, so it's not a big draw. I'm more worried about how it struggles with Breath of the Wild and I can get that on a system I do own, which it will run just as well.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I will say it's fair that most Americans don't have a major use case for the portability. I live in a major city and take the subway so it's great for me, and sometimes I want to just kick back in bed and play the handheld, but I know that's not for everyone.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

parallelodad posted:

Honestly a JRPG that's short and not very complex sounds like the perfect game to me. How short we talking? FF4 short? Mystic Quest short?

Like 20ish hours short but there's not very many side quests or anything but the linear plot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mahoning posted:

Probably trap sprung BUT.
You don't have to buy it, or care about it, but it was a good console with a childproof tablet and a lot of good games. I ended up with about as many games for it as I did my ps3, but I actually have desire to go back and play more WiiU games. I don't what makes it lovely other than it not selling well? I still legit love having a map/inventory management on the second screen. I like its 'gimmick'.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harlock posted:

Like 20ish hours short but there's not very many side quests or anything but the linear plot.

That sounds perfect. FF4 is my favorite of the series, it's the same way.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kashuno posted:

I will say it's fair that most Americans don't have a major use case for the portability. I live in a major city and take the subway so it's great for me, and sometimes I want to just kick back in bed and play the handheld, but I know that's not for everyone.

Yeah, the latter is my case. I really like lying in bed playing Zelda like a chump or sitting by my computer listening to an LP or podcast while playing. It's nice.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kashuno posted:

I love it because I don't have to be a TV hog with Zelda. I've been splitting half and half on portable just sitting on my couch and docked playing on the nice TV. I love them both. It's also great to bring it to bed and play for an hour before sleep.

Also when summer comes, sitting on my patio playing MK8 and drinking beers while my dog runs around is going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't really understand the attitude of "the Wii U sucked but it also had great games"

• Locked thread