Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FakePoet posted:

Literally just said on the radio that he's keeping his mind open to the idea beyond that. I think if he ends next season healthy, and the team looks like it's on a definite upward trajectory, you could see him back beyond next year.

In'shallah we will get one last Dirk-Spurs series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Time posted:

No matter how many times I see him make good plays, or how many stats you show me, I will never believe Seth curry is good. It doesn't fit my head canon

How do you feel about Austin Rivers?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

RCarr posted:

Literally exactly the same way, sorry kibner

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Time posted:

Literally exactly the same way, sorry kibner

Other people's opinions about him don't affect my own. :cool:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Seth Curry has over 100 games averaging over 60% true shooting, at some point he's a good player and I don't like it but it's true

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

CharlestheHammer posted:

But they don't even do that in all regular season games and most of those actually matter somewhat.

Yes, the level of effort in the all star game was just like a regular season game. You're correct.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

RCarr posted:

I like him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Intruder posted:

I like him

Clearly a tripping violation went un-called. :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

A run-by swipe contacting with Austin's shoulder, throwing him off-balance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Seth Curry has over 100 games averaging over 60% true shooting, at some point he's a good player and I don't like it but it's true

He is an NBA player, but I wouldn't be incredibly shocked if he regressed to role-player from his current state of starter-quality.

He's also 26 so this is probably more or less as good as he gets.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, he can shoot at an elite level and isn't a sieve on defense. That's a starter in today's NBA because so many teams don't have a player like that on their roster, let alone starting.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No respect for the Kings
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/839538383705817092

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eh you never really know with Pop

This is the same guy who rested Parker, Manu and Duncan against the Lebron era Heat

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intruder posted:

This is the same guy who rested Parker, Manu and Duncan against the Lebron era Heat

I'm joking but honestly they should beat us anyway

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Intruder posted:

Ah yeah, the game Matt Bonner and Boris Diaw played 30 minutes and the Spurs only lost by 5.

I wish the Spurs would have won so we could've seen if Stern would have still fined them.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

ACTUALLY the correct and proper answer is that I'm a New York Knickerbockers fan, that is why I do not know what defense looks like, get owned me

God dammit. Why did you own yourself? I was just coming in here to do it for you.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

THE

SANCTITY

OF

THE

GAME

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Is Dirk expected to pick up his option?

If so it looks like Dallas is going to be capped out if they re-sign Noel.

From what I've read on multiple sites (double checked to make sure I wasn't wrong), it looks to be a team option. Cuban should just let Dirk get paid another year and have money to spend on Seth the next year. I could see them trying to convince Dirk he should come back on a smaller deal for more help but we will see.

In other news, the Noel era Mavs only have 1 loss and might be undefeated if Nerlens had gone to the right airport for that game.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
IMO, the all star weekend should be replaced with other sports. i want to see if lebron could kill somebody playing jai alai

get me my faintin' couch

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
You gotta admit that it'd be pretty loving cool to see an all star game where every player treated it as serious as game 7 of the finals. I've always wanted something like that.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

chunkles posted:

IMO, the all star weekend should be replaced with other sports. i want to see if lebron could kill somebody playing jai alai

And all-star weekend flag football game would be insanely my poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The all-star game should be a 1-on-1 relay show-case. Guy that gets scored on has to tag in the next player on his team, so you get funny streaks like Irving scoring on 6 guys in a row before the Centers come in.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/mceide_wreg3/status/839561616668692492

Fizdale I know you're posting on these forums, I know you read my posts, come out and let's talk

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

leftist heap posted:

Portland is flirting with the 8 seed again on the back of Big Nurk and it's kinda hilarious

Jokic has been out with illness for two days and Gallinari's questionable tonight for the same reason. Has anyone seen Nurk's dad around? I'm not saying he's been threatening anyone, I'm Just Asking Questions.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/mceide_wreg3/status/839561616668692492

Fizdale I know you're posting on these forums, I know you read my posts, come out and let's talk

drat, that's great.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
kiss my WHAT? face? glasses?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Dejan, which white center did you say had a head like a roman amphorae

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
meyers?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Meyers Leonard I want to say

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Some context for Gordon starting

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/839515599847972864

dokmo posted:

Which bring up probably the biggest surprise for me this season: that a team featuring Harden and Ryan Anderson plus zero rim protection can somehow manage to have a league average defense. If it were possible to nominate an assistant coach, Jeff Bzdelik would get my COY vote.

I wish I had the it handy, but there was a pretty good article early on in the season about how the Rockets turned all their number crunching poo poo onto finding the best defensive outcomes, and how Bzdelik was implementing it. They're probably at Thibs "rotate your feet correctly" level of obsessiveness, which combined with Harden/Gordon/Anderson is good for a league average defense.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

Some context for Gordon starting

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/839515599847972864

I wish I had the it handy, but there was a pretty good article early on in the season about how the Rockets turned all their number crunching poo poo onto finding the best defensive outcomes, and how Bzdelik was implementing it. They're probably at Thibs "rotate your feet correctly" level of obsessiveness, which combined with Harden/Gordon/Anderson is good for a league average defense.

find this article!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I thought Meyers Leonard was when he said he had a jughead

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Idk I just thought of it again and it made me laugh really hard

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

here's the one I was thinking of: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17996143/zach-lowe-james-harden-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets-nba

quote:

Houston probably won't hit that mark if they finish 27th in points allowed per possession -- their current rank. "We have to commit to defense," said Jeff Bzdelik, the assistant coach charged with guiding Houston on that end, "or we're just a .500 team that runs up and down a lot."

Believe it or not, they are actually (kind of) trying. Before the season, Morey's crew culled video of every pick-and-roll faced by top-10 defenses in each of the last three seasons -- about 59,000 ball screens -- and crunched numbers on which strategies worked best against every variety. Bzdelik drafted a set of foundational rules based on that information.

They still start each practice with drills on transition defense, their old bugaboo, and call out breakdowns in film sessions. Coaches found mistakes on 65 percent of Houston's defensive possessions during their loss in Cleveland last week, Bzdelik said.

Everyone appears to be (mostly) working hard. They're talking, rushing out on shooters, and limiting the number of shots at the rim; only five teams have allowed fewer attempts from the restricted area so far. Their transition defense ranks around league average, a huge triumph given last season's lollygagging and the worst turnover rate in the league. Beverley's return will help.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Dejan, which white center did you say had a head like a roman amphorae

NickRoweFillea posted:

I thought Meyers Leonard was when he said he had a jughead

lol. Hey classics teach, isn't that what an amphora is?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Gracias my friend

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

leftist heap posted:

Also ESPN had this nugget that i thought was funny

quote:

Russell Westbrook's 145 points in his last three games against Portland (42, 45 and 58, respecitvely) is the highest by any NBA player over a three-game span vs. a particular opponent since 1990, when Michael Jordan scored 148 points over three games against the Cavaliers. (Elias Sports Bureau)
OKC just lost a bunch of games they should have won

That's some monkey's paw poo poo for sure.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

we've already beaten lebron before. it's not some mystic x-men poo poo. I'm not scared by the Cavs. I'm more scared of the Warriors.west coast best coast

RaySmuckles posted:

well lastthe first time kawhi and lebron were in the finals this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFx-urmQDY

so i don't think it'd be as one sided as you're portraying

the next time lebron quit the heat

LBJ, like Apocalypse, is only defeated because he's outnumbered. LBJ has been the best player in the finals in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. And probably will be in 2017.

LBJ vs. the Eastern Conference playoffs 2011 - 202X? in four minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4puUo4OYViE

Libertine posted:

Do you guys think health advances will ever make it so that post-40yo players can remain competitive (outside of a few unicorn rare players)? Or is that something for a few decades from now in the bionic legs era?

Yes, if things continue to progress in biogenetics and we avoid a cataclysmic extinction level event.

Only then can Kobe/Jordan/KG/Karl Malone put these youngsters to shame in the ASG. Jordan's not going to get down on his stomach and play dead like Stephen Curry did.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Also did he just have a new baby? Start sending men into athlete's houses to procreate with their wives if they want kids, we're paying them millions to perform in front of fans not blow their backs at home

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Idk I just thought of it again and it made me laugh really hard

I laugh really hard whenever I think about Pablo Prigioni (not often) because
"Pablo
Prigioni
The real Prigioni
Argentina Macaroni"
That someone posted here once

• Locked thread