Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Not a Step posted:

When I said that video was an unfunny desperate and out of touch gasp to appeal to millennials the Hillarymen all scoffed that 'No, its a parody!'.

Yeah, I understood that it was a parody. An unfunny desperate and out of touch parody.

i thought it was funny

I loled when the trump ad came on that video

it has like 14 mil views I think it was prob the most successful hillary PR thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Typo posted:

i thought it was funny

I loled when the trump ad came on that video

it has like 14 mil views I think it was prob the most successful hillary PR thing

Yea it really helped her lock down the New York and California vote.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Typo posted:

i thought it was funny

Dog...

bro....

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
every between two ferns was prty funny tbh

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
You mean the between two ferns where he made like two jokes about the guest and the spent the rest of the time ragging on her political opponent

And where she was introduced as "Hillary Clinton - had pneumonia" supposedly as a joke but really to reaffirm that particular lie

Because it SUCKED

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
This is how you do a between two ferns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVIpY-r95w8

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Holy poo poo, I get his tweets!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Remember when she explained to that dude who was almost wrongfully executed that the death penalty was a good thing?

fun fact: donna brazile told the hillary campaign before the debate and now shes blacklisted from cnn imao

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Agriculture is important. Our rivers are full of fish. You cannot have freedom without liberty. Our future lies ahead.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

people resoundingly told me "NO!" eight years ago, but what they meant was "please just wait your turn for 2016 you'll get swept in for sure!"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I also liked the one with natalie portman

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Freaking Crumbum posted:

people resoundingly told me "NO!" four years ago, but what they meant was "please just wait your turn for 2020 you'll get swept in for sure!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The 2020 motto is "Won't take no for an answer!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Proud Christian Mom posted:

How very Trump of her.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You're nuts if you don't think they'll go with "Hindsight is 2020."

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Like entropy, the universe tends always towards increased irony.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That would be perfectly Dem of them.

HILLARY'S CAMPAIGN: Hey, idiots, you feel stupid yet, stupids? Well we're givin' you another chance.

EVERYONE: *collectively wrinkles nose, sighs, votes for someone- anyone- else*

HILLARY'S CAMPAIGN: Oh drat, they must be misogynists or hate old people or something. Eh, the checks cleared.

They're really missing their opportunity to appeal to millennial nostalgia if they don't have a big ad that's a shot for shot remake of the Tales From The Crypt opening but at the end, instead of the Cryptkeeper, it's 73 year old Hillary just having a hell of a time.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/8/14848636/hillary-clinton-tv-ads

Hmm. So she spent nearly all her ads going after Trump. I guess her policy was. "I am not Trump.".

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, Hillary can't run in 2020, because she would be nearly the same age as Bernie was in 2016 and Bernie Was Too Old, as we were repeatedly told.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvyGydc8no

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/for.2016.14.issue-4/for-2016-0040/for-2016-0040.xml?format=INT

quote:

There was a huge imbalance in advertising at the presidential level in 2016, with Clinton and her allies pummeling Trump and his allies in almost every media market in the country. Pro-Clinton advertising dominated on local broadcast, national cable and even local cable television. Decades of research (e.g. Zaller 1992) suggests that in the face of such imbalanced message flows, the advantaged candidate should benefit at the polls. And yet in spite of those advantages, Hillary Clinton lost many of the states that saw the most political advertising. Is the message from 2016 that political ads just do not work anymore?

Although the impact of advertising in 2016 on the outcome of the general election race was likely minimal, we urge caution in concluding that television advertising is no longer effective. For one, we never expect advertising to have a large effect in a presidential race. Research has demonstrated that advertising effects are smaller in presidential contests than in other down-ballot races (Ridout and Franz 2007), and this may be especially true in a presidential race that features two well-known candidates, a former First Lady and a celebrity who has been on Americans television screens for decades. Because voters have a large store of pre-existing information about the candidates, they are less open to influence by advertising. Nevertheless, advertising is an important way in which candidates can talk directly to voters, and research does suggest that advertising advantages do correlate with movement in the polls (Ridout and Franz 2007; Sides and Vavreck 2014). Despite the fact that pro-Clinton advertising dominated the airwaves overall, in several of the pivotal states especially Michigan and Wisconsin Donald Trump actually had ad advantages on local broadcast up until the very last week of the campaign, which may well have mattered.

Second, in a presidential race, advertising must compete with almost limitless media coverage of the race, which tends to neutralize the impact of the advertising. Perhaps the intense media coverage in 2016 was driven less by the messages of political advertising as it has been in the past and more by Donald Trumps Twitter account. Although the Clinton campaign may have viewed the news medias focus on Donald Trump as beneficial to them, they also claimed to have trouble getting coverage of policy statements. Yet the Clinton campaign itself did not focus on policy in its own messaging either, a tactic that very well may have hurt their candidate, which leads to our next point.10

Third, all ads are not equally effective. Even though the ad advantage may have been in Clintons favor, it does no good if the message does not resonate with voters. Of course, the jury is still out on how effective Clintons message was, but evidence suggests that negativity in advertising can have a backlash effect on the sponsor (Pinkleton 1997) and that personally-focused, trait-based negative messages (especially those that are uncivil) tend to be seen as less fair, less informative and less important than more substantive, policy-based messaging (Fridkin and Geer 1994; Brooks and Geer 2007). In stark contrast to any prior presidential cycle for which we have Kantar Media/CMAG data, the Clinton campaign overwhelmingly chose to focus on Trumps personality and fitness for office (in a sense, doubling down on the news medias focus), leaving very little room for discussion in advertising of the reasons why Clinton herself was the better choice. Trump, on the other hand, provided explicit policy-based contrasts, highlighting his strengths and Clintons weaknesses, a strategy that research suggests voters find helpful in decision-making (Mattes and Redlawsk 2014). These strategic differences may have meant that Clinton was more prone to voter backlash and did nothing to overcome the medias lack of focus on Clintons policy knowledge, especially for residents of Michigan and Wisconsin, in particular, who were receiving policy-based (and specifically economically-focused) messaging from Trump. As such, it may very well be that Clinton misallocated advertising funds (both hyper-targeting on local cable and advertising in non-traditional battlegrounds like Arizona rather than in the Midwest, for example) and a lack of policy messaging in advertising may have hurt Clinton enough to have made a difference.

While advertising patterns in the 2016 presidential race were certainly a departure from the past, it seemed to be business as usual in the House and Senate. The tone of these races was very similar to the past few election cycles, as was the volume of advertising. And the sponsorship of advertising, with outside groups taking on a heavier role in the Senate than House, also reflected the past few elections. Indeed, it is almost surprising that so much has stayed the same with television advertising given the recent rise of digital media and social media.

But will down-ballot candidates in the future read the outcome of the 2016 presidential race as a signal that spending millions on television advertising just is not necessary? While many might consider such an approach in 2018, we think it would be unwise for candidates to use Trump as a model. For sure, future campaigns will invest heavily in new approaches to reach voters, from local cable to digital and web-based advertising. But at least in 2016, it seems that these additional tactics are viewed as just an add-on way to reach voters (a complement if you will) rather than as a replacement for more traditional ad buys on local broadcast stations. In sum, the race between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton violated so many of our rules of political science that generalizing from it strikes us as risky at least for now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember 2007 when this video was bad.

But it's somehow way better than Fight Song.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Echo Chamber posted:

Echo Chamber posted:

Better messaging than "I'm with her" too

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I also remember how back in that primary Hillary openly endorsed an SNL skit pushing the idea that the media was biased against her. And then the media spent a few news cycles debating whether or not the media was fair to Hillary.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

call to action posted:

Actually, Hillary can't run in 2020, because she would be nearly the same age as Bernie was in 2016 and Bernie Was Too Old, as we were repeatedly told.

I remember when Bernie won Iowa and NH against all odds and her campaign went 'Those states don't represent America'. Her campaign didn't even realize that they were their own Cassandras.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bernie didn't win Iowa.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

call to action posted:

Bernie is old as gently caress mate

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/03/18/hillary-clinton-doesnt-need-white-men/

WAPO 3/18/16 posted:

Im not sure who the Democratic leaders are who think that, because the only one the article quotes is Bill Richardson, whos been out of politics for a few years and frankly was never considered a strategic genius to begin with. But heres the truth: Hillary Clinton doesnt need white men.

Lets be more specific. Clinton will have the support of tens of millions of white men. But she doesnt need to do any better among them than any Democrat has, and even if she does worse, shell probably be completely fine.

Thats because whites are declining as a proportion of the electorate as the country grows more diverse with each passing year. In 1992, just 24 years ago, whites made up 87 percent of the voters, according to exit polls. By 2012 the figure had declined to 72 percent. Since women vote at slightly higher rates than men, white men made up around 35 percent of the voters.

Those numbers will be lower this year, which means that even if nothing changes in how non-whites vote, Republicans will need to keep increasing their margins among whites to even stay where they are overall in other words, to keep losing by the same amount.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:shibe:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ironically if Hillary had actually run on her qualifications and policies instead of resorting to constant personal attacks she probably would have won.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Not a Step posted:

Ironically if Hillary had actually run on her qualifications and policies instead of resorting to constant personal attacks she probably would have won.

Eh, not even qualifications, she did that a fair bit. She needed to tell people what shes actually going to change in their life.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

mugrim posted:

Eh, not even qualifications, she did that a fair bit. She needed to tell people what shes actually going to change in their life.

Well she did tell a bunch of blue collar workers that they would lose their jobs

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ScrubLeague posted:

Bernie is old as gently caress mate

He is an immortal that feeds off of Mike Pence's fevered dreams of a third red scare.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The Brown Menace posted:

Well she did tell a bunch of blue collar workers that they would lose their jobs

that, and in one interview she did, the news person asked her "would you ever lie to the American people?" and instead of just saying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" she went on this rambling answer that included phrases like "well I would always do my best to be as honest as circumstances allow".

how can you have that much experience in politics and be that bad at politics? how

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that, and in one interview she did, the news person asked her "would you ever lie to the American people?" and instead of just saying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" she went on this rambling answer that included phrases like "well I would always do my best to be as honest as circumstances allow".

how can you have that much experience in politics and be that bad at politics? how

why bother putting effort into the race when you're guaranteed to win?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that was the worst bit of political word salad I've ever seen. I mean, she would have been better off just saying "yeah, sure, I'd lie, have and will in fact" then people could say she was at least being honest in that one instance

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Not a Step posted:

I'm not so sure about that. Many of the things that she and her team considered qualifications were actually huge turn offs to the many voters who didn't want a continuation of the status quo.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I remember everyone(including myself) in the old Trump thread being so smug about how inept the Trump campaign's ad strategy was. We all laughed at how they were late to ad buys, how their ad buys were misplaced, how their ads seemed amateur hour...

Then during college football games I would see Trump ads targeting the rust belt's economic concerns. Not a single Hillary ad to counter them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

The Brown Menace posted:

She also Mitt Romney'd it up by calling Trump voters a 'basket of deplorables' (i mean, it's largely true, but you don't say it in public)

• Locked thread