Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Fishing is good, though I made a ton of money with machine murder. Machine cores are worth a lot to the right NPC. I think time also affects it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

White moose and boar meat sells for a lot. If you're in your first playthrough don't worry about it, the game starts raining machine cores on you later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

the game starts raining machine cores on you later.

This is pretty much the answer. Around halfway through playthrough 2 I wasn't really wanting for money. It's materials for your weapons that are going to be in short supply.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My biggest problem with the game is that I turned brightness all the way up. In most games when I calibrate it "just right" like the game wants I wind up not being able to see poo poo so I'm used to just blowing it out.

The boss in the desert that I fought was basically this blinding white ball with absolutely no tells to it's attack animation as a result :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can uh, turn it down at any time

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

You can uh, turn it down at any time

Oh I did midfight, I was just kinda making a joke about it is all.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Also fun fact: after the first playthrough you get more money for items you sell. Don't know if it keeps rising after that

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I totally played through the prologue while the game was still downloading and didn't see the warnings until today. I've put like three hours into the game, is the issue for sure still in the US version? Nobody seems to have a definitive answer.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

As far as I've seen it won't even let you continue into the game if it isn't finished downloading anymore, it pops up a little quiz thing instead

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm gonna play this all day I don't have to work!!

*Power goes off*

WHYYYY

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So uhhhhh finished the prologue. This game seems good?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I played a few hours yesterday. I like it quite a bit so far! I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, I'm trying not to expect things like the other endings to be as inventive as the ones in the original Nier. But it's hard not expect a lot when what I have played so far is very good.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So uh, what's with these gold machines? They're about the same level as I am but my attacks are doing almost no damage to their health bars, is there some trick to this fight?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Eopia posted:

So uh, what's with these gold machines? They're about the same level as I am but my attacks are doing almost no damage to their health bars, is there some trick to this fight?

Come back later

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Come back later

Don't those only show up when (cycle 2 spoilers) you're playing as 9S? In that case, hacking is all you need to do.

e: Wow. I didn't come across them at all in the first cycle on two different saves. This is news to me.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 8, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm on my first playthrough so they definitely show up before cycle 2.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I ran across them in the first playthrough. Beat them on the second though, I just ran away because it was taking too long.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doing a second full playthrough, just had a realization after fighting Adam the first time. There's a bit of dialogue from either 2B or 9S that plays before that when you're wandering around the ruined city that mentions how, recently, more and more machines have stopped being violence and just stand around doing nothing in particular. The machines that come together to birth Adam repeatedly chant "this cannot continue" and one of the first things that Adam does is to ask why 2B and 9S are fighting him. Then fast forward later and Adam is loving obsessed with violence and hatred.

Perhaps I was slow in this realization, but that suggests Adam was birthed in an attempt to broker peace, which is likely why he looks not just like a human, but like a YorHa model android in particular, what with the pale skin and silver hair. And 2B's and 9S's immediate violence towards him is what teaches him to love hate. Which in turn causes all of the poo poo that happens up to the death of Eve. Now granted, things still would end up taking a nosedive after that anyway, but it's interesting to note how 2B and 9S are directly responsible for a lot of the bad poo poo that happens in the game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Since we're talking about cool things we noticed, regarding the subject of Beepy that got brought up early and the end of path A, I like that the cult chose a factory that manufactures Beepy's model as their place of worship, considering Beepy is their god. Of all the places for machines to establish a death cult and turn themselves into scrap, it's where machines are built in the image of their god. Become a god indeed, huh? At least that's the impression I got.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yesterday, I died in the prologue on normal then stopped playing for the night when I saw that it restarted the entire level, lol. So: Is there any penalty for putting difficulty on like, very easy or easy for the prologue then putting it back to normal after the game can save?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

redreader posted:

Yesterday, I died in the prologue on normal then stopped playing for the night when I saw that it restarted the entire level, lol. So: Is there any penalty for putting difficulty on like, very easy or easy for the prologue then putting it back to normal after the game can save?

Nope. Go ahead and do that. Also you can just run past most of the enemies, there's no need to kill everything.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

redreader posted:

Absolutely none

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Do the enemies in the arena of the desert city ever run out? I must have killed over two hundred by now but I can't catch a break to collect the drops.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ahhh I just had a lock up or something. Retrieved a random Android body and saw another right next to it and scooped it up while it was doing the blah blah is your ally now :c

I literally saw the SAVING IS POSSIBLE but was like nah I'll grab these bodies :CCC

Now I gotta fight No Dick again goddamnit

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How do I get to the desert? I've been running through the factory and I can't find the path no matter how hard I search

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How do I get to the desert? I've been running through the factory and I can't find the path no matter how hard I search

If you're trying to get to the desert, than the Factory is the completely wrong area. You want to go back to the ruined city.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to disappointed if there's no batshit insane reason in the narrative later in the game that explains the lack of auto-saves

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If you're coming back from the factory, the desert entrance is to your left off the broken highway you use to get into the ruined city.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Eopia posted:

Do the enemies in the arena of the desert city ever run out?
No, it seems to be the designated grind area

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

dasmause posted:

No, it seems to be the designated grind area

Ah, well. At least I have plenty of Machine Cores and an Machine parts for upgrading weapons now.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to disappointed if there's no batshit insane reason in the narrative later in the game that explains the lack of auto-saves

From a talk at the Nier Square Enix Cafe in Akihabara a day and half ago:

Q: What was your reason for not implementing Auto Save?
Yoko Taro: When Nier came out, it originally got extremely bad reviews with many people saying that save points were old and outdated, and that made me really want to put save points in Nier Automata. In fact, Taura strongly recommended that we use Auto Save, but I refused.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
That is some amazing spite

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm only very briefly into the game, so there may be more of an in world explanation but I just based it off one of the VERY early conversation where 9S talks about saving 2B's personality but wasn't able transmit his own. I assumed that these androids require regular transmissions back to base to "save" their memories.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

ntan1 posted:

From a talk at the Nier Square Enix Cafe in Akihabara a day and half ago:

Q: What was your reason for not implementing Auto Save?
Yoko Taro: When Nier came out, it originally got extremely bad reviews with many people saying that save points were old and outdated, and that made me really want to put save points in Nier Automata. In fact, Taura strongly recommended that we use Auto Save, but I refused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE9zsc9NQN8

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Welp, I played through the demo. I guess here be my thoughts:
  • Feels nice buttonmashing and slicing and using the robot to shoot things. Any negative repercussions of that?
  • The game's more chill than the demo? I can dig it.
  • I hope there's some chips that make going :black101: viable. Or SOMETHING.
  • loving dodging. HOW DO I DODGE TWO BIG-rear end BLADES SMASHING INTO MY BODY
  • I get the feeling 9S ain't as dead as he got during the Goliath fight.
  • DO THEY SURVIVE THE JO CRYSTAL USAGE AUGH
  • Demo ended right when I expected it to. That fuckin' helps.

I'll probs buy it. Maybe for the PC since I apparently cbf to buy a new PS4 HDD.

This also reminded me to play more FF15. Similar gameplay styles in terms of running around?

Also, I'm right in considering the black boxes JO Crystals, right.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Two questions:

How high does Father Servo go, and is it worth trying to take him out? I'm level 20 and just beat the level 50 version after 20 minutes. It's getting super tedious.

In Nier there was a halfway point that made sidequests fail. Is there anything like that and what's the sign I'm almost there? My ocd is making me complete all sidequests and it's real annoying running back and forth across the map.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

widespread posted:

Welp, I played through the demo. I guess here be my thoughts:
  • Feels nice buttonmashing and slicing and using the robot to shoot things. Any negative repercussions of that?
  • The game's more chill than the demo? I can dig it.
  • I hope there's some chips that make going :black101: viable. Or SOMETHING.
  • loving dodging. HOW DO I DODGE TWO BIG-rear end BLADES SMASHING INTO MY BODY
  • I get the feeling 9S ain't as dead as he got during the Goliath fight.
  • DO THEY SURVIVE THE JO CRYSTAL USAGE AUGH
  • Demo ended right when I expected it to. That fuckin' helps.

I'll probs buy it. Maybe for the PC since I apparently cbf to buy a new PS4 HDD.

This also reminded me to play more FF15. Similar gameplay styles in terms of running around?

Also, I'm right in considering the black boxes JO Crystals, right.

1. Not really if you play on normal or lower. Better play is still more efficient, and the actual game is tuned harder than the demo.

2. Dodging big things, spam R2.

Hackan Slash posted:

Two questions:

How high does Father Servo go, and is it worth trying to take him out? I'm level 20 and just beat the level 50 version after 20 minutes. It's getting super tedious.

In Nier there was a halfway point that made sidequests fail. Is there anything like that and what's the sign I'm almost there? My ocd is making me complete all sidequests and it's real annoying running back and forth across the map.

I think Father Servo is up to 60? I don't remember. But you don't have to do him now, you can come back later.

There are points-of-no-return in this game for quests, but there is always a return. I don't want to get deeper into it, but don't worry about losing access to side quests. You'll eventually be able to do them. Also, don't do side quests until the story unlocks fast travel for you. Makes things much more efficient.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Other Questions:

Q: Are you going to release an Adam and Eve dakimakura?

Yoko Taro: Seriously whoever asked that question please raise your hand.
Yosuke Saito: Nobody's going to raise their hand.
Takahisa Taura: They just did.
Yoko Taro: It's a woman. We'll no poo poo. If it was a dude then... we'll I guess it would mean that they had some passion burning inside
Yosuke Saito: No but really, you'd buy it? Really? Really?
Yoko Taro: (listening to audience) "I'm sure somebody would be interested."
Yosuke Saito: "Wait what? So you'd only say yes to Adam but no to Eve?"

Q: How many resources were spent on 2B's butt?

Taura: Well, there is a modeller in Platinum who is known as Matsudaira, who has an obsession with the shape of butts. In particular, he wanted the butts in Nier Automata to be depicted more beautifully than the butt of a painting of Yoshida Keiko, and...
Yoko Taro: Actually, let me explain in detail. When I initially proposed the design of 2B to Taura, 2B had pretty large boobs. However, Taura strongly objected because he has a preference for small boobs (Taura: that's personal information!). Then, when I talked to Matsudaira, he had strong opinions on butts. Basically, Taura became the bobb representative and Matsudaira became the butt representative, and that's how we now have 2B.

Q: Are there any gimmicks that ultimately ended up being rejected by SQEX?

Yosuke Saito: I do want to speak of one. There is a message in the game that involves me being caught with a speed violation. Let me spoil it. The person who was originally ticketed was the CEO of Square Enix, but he got really mad at me so we had to change it to me instead.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It's a good butt

e: these loving heels man 2B you need some more stable footwear

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
First thing I've done out of the tutorial is to disable the self-destruct mechanism and I hope this ends up making the world blow up or something.