Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

TheScott2K posted:

Sonic and All Stars Transformed was still better.

Also this. I bought Mario Kart 7 and 8, and the entire time I was thinking how much more fun I had with Sonic and All Stars Transformed.

Kashuno posted:

At least the Switch is actually good? Like, literally when the Wii U came out reviews were like "this gimmick is pretty stupid" at least with the Switch a lot of those same sites are like "This gimmick is actually pretty cool!"

More like they are saying this gimmick is poorly engineered and designed, if those were fixed, it may be good. Or, not even that. An excerpt verdict from an IGN review:

quote:

The Switchs chameleon-esque ability to change between being a home console, a handheld, and a mobile party-game machine helps it rise above its individual shortcomings, but only to an extent. On the go, its a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen thats a bit too large and power hungry to feel completely portable. As a console, its underpowered, unreliable, and lacking in basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. Its nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but ultimately, the Switch doesnt do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mario kart was the main reason I bought a Switch. It's basically the only Nintendo game I missed when moving to other platforms. It's one of the few games my wife will play too. Like literally just Mario Kart or NHL is all she plays.

The paid online combined with not being new for a lot of people worries me though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Utnayan posted:

Also this. I bought Mario Kart 7 and 8, and the entire time I was thinking how much more fun I had with Sonic and All Stars Transformed.

Good news for the people who are tardy to the Transformed party - you can at it on America's Console, the Xbox One.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Mario kart was the main reason I bought a Switch. It's basically the only Nintendo game I missed when moving to other platforms. It's one of the few games my wife will play too. Like literally just Mario Kart or NHL is all she plays.

The paid online combined with not being new for a lot of people worries me though.

Hey man maybe buying a console for a game that isn't out when you don't know how multi is gonna shake out is a bad idea

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

koolkal posted:

VG I think we have a new thread title!!

Do this and I will destroy you

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't really understand the attitude of "the Wii U sucked but it also had great games"

The Wii U did have several great first party games. The large, clunky, bad screen handheld controller was a bad dumb gimmick. If it didn't have that, it was literally just a Wii. There was no need for an entirely new system just for that controller.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Probably trap sprung BUT.
You don't have to buy it, or care about it, but it was a good console with a childproof tablet and a lot of good games. I ended up with about as many games for it as I did my ps3, but I actually have desire to go back and play more WiiU games. I don't what makes it lovely other than it not selling well? I still legit love having a map/inventory management on the second screen. I like its 'gimmick'.

They never did really make good use of the gamepad, which for me at least just kind of gets in the way most of the time. Xenoblade Chronicles X made good use of the screen I guess, but even that was still just a map when you get right down to it. It was a lovely expensive bauble that was only included because someone at Nintendo was like 'rubes like tablets, right?' without thinking about why they like tablets.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

TheScott2K posted:

"These system sellers that failed to sell systems will surely sell the new system!"

Well, the WiiU did have sales... so those games sold that many along with the two Zelda HD rereleases. So those will boost Switch sales. Then add in the new Zelda and 3D Mario games people craved for the last system and probably was what kept them from biting the bullet, and you have a decent potential for Switch sales.

Look at it this way... the Splatoon WiiU bundle had sales, and I mean a spike in sales than before it came out. So why wouldn't the Switch (a system that has a critically acclaimed Zelda game, the best Mario Kart game with improvements, and a new 3D Mario game later in the year) sell more units when that game comes out? Not everyone will have a Switch in their hands before Splatoon 2 comes out, Splatoon 1 helped with WiiU sales, so it is perfectly reasonable to expect Splatoon 2 to help with a much more anticipated console's sales.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Wii U did have several great first party games. The large, clunky, bad screen handheld controller was a bad dumb gimmick. If it didn't have that, it was literally just a Wii. There was no need for an entirely new system just for that controller.

Well they also needed to up the power so they could get third party ports of games made for the console gen that was pretty much wrapping things up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'll at least concede that BoTW probably sold a non-trivial number of WiiU's in 2015.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't really understand the attitude of "the Wii U sucked but it also had great games"

Some of the exclusives were great. Splatoon is my fave new IP in years from anyone. That said, the tablet controller was bulky, annoying to store, really terrible on battery life, and generally useless. The idea was clearly a stepping stone to the switch, and a bad one at that.

Also Splatoon was big enough in Japan that Callie & Marie got vocaloid concerts so uh..that's a thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

THE loving MOON posted:

They never did really make good use of the gamepad, which for me at least just kind of gets in the way most of the time. Xenoblade Chronicles X made good use of the screen I guess, but even that was still just a map when you get right down to it. It was a lovely expensive bauble that was only included because someone at Nintendo was like 'rubes like tablets, right?' without thinking about why they like tablets.

I think it was more, "why is the DS/3DS line so popular? Gotta be the second screen" The problem unlike the right next to eachother DS screens if you use it a bunch people complained they are looking at 2 screens at once on near one far, which is a legit problem. Zelda map/inventory was exactly what I wanted from it, with drag and drop items into slots on the fly. It worked well. I think they didn't have the balls to use it to its full potential AND the balls not to use it at all if the game didn't need it.

Also multiplayer with one person on tablet and on TV was cool too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TheScott2K posted:

Hey man maybe buying a console for a game that isn't out when you don't know how multi is gonna shake out is a bad idea

I also bought it for Zelda after seeing near consistent 10/10s. Unfortunately I'm not as impressed by it as most people.

Still considering returning the whole thing. In the meantime I keep plugging away at Zelda to see if it will get its hooks in me.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

TheScott2K posted:

There are also - in America, at least - a lot of us who drive ourselves to and from work every day, for whom video games are a thing you do at home. Something being portable is less of a value-add and more of an excuse for expensive slow hardware.

Portability has its place in the home as well. The living room in our house has the largest TV and best surround sound setup. Therefore, all of the consoles, cable box with DVR, etc. are hooked up in that room to provide the best experience. With the Switch, I can continue playing in another room while my wife watches something on the DVR (or falls asleep on the couch). Also, it'll be nice to take it with me when I have to go out of town for work.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Brickseek showed a nearby Wal-mart had 4 systems in stock, so I rode over. I didn't see it in case with all the other stuff so I asked if they had any in stock and she said that the Switch isn't out yet. I said it released last week and she told me that was just for pre-orders, launch is tomorrow.

Meanwhile I saw a switch on the shelf last Saturday and didn't buy it since I was on the fence about it and now I am kicking myself. I wanted to play Zelda all weekend :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I'm choosing to read into it that the Switch port is a last minute thing that they are spending extra money to port over quickly in time to launch it simultaneously on all platforms.

There's enough reports of the Switch being easy to develop for and the developer kit being super cheap compared to other consoles that I can't really think of another good reason for the price difference beyond having to rush it.

Its probably nintendo charging a higher licensing fee. All that other stuff shouldnt matter. Ps3 was the devil for devs and the games were same price

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GI_Clutch posted:

Portability has its place in the home as well. The living room in our house has the largest TV and best surround sound setup. Therefore, all of the consoles, cable box with DVR, etc. are hooked up in that room to provide the best experience. With the Switch, I can continue playing in another room while my wife watches something on the DVR (or falls asleep on the couch). Also, it'll be nice to take it with me when I have to go out of town for work.

You've got a point about in-house. Of course, MS and Sony could literally flip a switch (lawl) and turn everyone's phone into a streaming client whenever they want too.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I also bought it for Zelda after seeing near consistent 10/10s. Unfortunately I'm not as impressed by it as most people.

Still considering returning the whole thing. In the meantime I keep plugging away at Zelda to see if it will get its hooks in me.

This is a valid opinion entirely, but, are you a big Zelda fan in general and did you play all of the other Zelda's in the console area of the franchise? Just curious.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

nerox posted:

Brickseek showed a nearby Wal-mart had 4 systems in stock, so I rode over. I didn't see it in case with all the other stuff so I asked if they had any in stock and she said that the Switch isn't out yet. I said it released last week and she told me that was just for pre-orders, launch is tomorrow.

Meanwhile I saw a switch on the shelf last Saturday and didn't buy it since I was on the fence about it and now I am kicking myself. I wanted to play Zelda all weekend :(

Ask for the drat manager, shes saving for her dumb friend probably. The store manager of walmart will gladly sell you a $300 toy.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

People with public transit commutes are the best people.

Because we can play the Switch while commuting. Sorry that you have to deal with traffic every day in your life, I get to complete shrines for 40 minutes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kirios posted:

People with public transit commutes are the best people.

Because we can play the Switch while commuting. Sorry that you have to deal with traffic every day in your life, I get to complete shrines for 40 minutes.

:shrug: I honestly feel sorry for the people who don't get to ride a motorcycle to work

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah between my train commute and my girlfriend using the TV for the ps4 I am really loving portable mode.

TheScott2K posted:

:shrug: I honestly feel sorry for the people who don't get to ride a motorcycle to work

Riding a motorcycle loses the appeal when I'd have to leave an hour earlier and sit in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is a valid opinion entirely, but, are you a big Zelda fan in general and did you play all of the other Zelda's in the console area of the franchise? Just curious.

I hadn't played the series since SNES and never got into it then. But when everyone says it's one of the greatest games of all time, with almost every review saying 10/10, you naturally want to play it, no?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Given that Puyo and SFII are also $40, I wonder if Nintendo maybe has a rule about minimum physical game prices?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You know, I can understand complaints and criticism, but why are there people in this thread that are trying to convince everyone else not to buy one or that buying one was a bad decision?

Like, just say "lol nintendo" and leave the thread.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Switch actually really owns. Haters are either A. Trolls, or B. Are unable to buy a Switch and are lashing out like a manchild.

Just ignore them.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Takoluka posted:

You know, I can understand complaints and criticism, but why are there people in this thread that are trying to convince everyone else not to buy one or that buying one was a bad decision?

Like, just say "lol nintendo" and leave the thread.

that guy was talking about the wiiu not the switch

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

There are also - in America, at least - a lot of us who drive ourselves to and from work every day, for whom video games are a thing you do at home. Something being portable is less of a value-add and more of an excuse for expensive slow hardware.

All the cool people have millenial roof parties on the bus.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Kashuno posted:

Yeah between my train commute and my girlfriend using the TV for the ps4 I am really loving portable mode.

Riding a motorcycle loses the appeal when I'd have to leave an hour earlier and sit in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours

Kick your girlfriend off the PS4 and have her stream the game via remote play to her Vita. Take control back of your technology before it's too late!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Everyone who says a switch is bad is part of the fake news lamestream media

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Oof, that sounds like it would suck. Stop and go traffic definitely de-funs the whole biek process.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mahoning posted:

Sometimes, a console is so bad that even amazing games won't get people to buy them.

I do find it funny however how Wii U owners continue to gush over it and try to convince people to buy it. It's like they are trying to convince themselves that they made a good purchase. I have no doubt that those Wii U games were, in fact, really good. But c'mon. Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.

Mahoning posted:

Just wanna say that even if they never release another game for the Switch, the investment was totally worth it just to play Breath of the Wild.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

koolkal posted:

Everyone who says a switch is bad is part of the fake news lamestream media

Sad!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Utnayan posted:

Kick your girlfriend off the PS4 and have her stream the game via remote play to her Vita. Take control back of your technology before it's too late!

In this thread: Someone says the Switch sucks but recommends to have a Vita.

Every day we fall further from God's light.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

The Switch actually really owns. Haters are either A. Trolls, or B. Are unable to buy a Switch and are lashing out like a manchild.

Just ignore them.

C.) Wish Nintendo would pull their heads out of their rear end and either make a console that matches today's value consumer standards when compared to their competition, even if it is underpowered, or go 3rd party and wrap up the hardware business altogether.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nintendo systems have the best couch multiplayer games. I hope the trend continues with Switch.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Oh, no. I am just trying to figure out a way for you to get your TV back.

Just remember.... First it's the TV. Next? Your bank account. Stop the bleeding while you can.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kashuno posted:

Look man you just can't get that anime titty experience from any other handheld

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I hadn't played the series since SNES and never got into it then. But when everyone says it's one of the greatest games of all time, with almost every review saying 10/10, you naturally want to play it, no?

Maybe you just don't like Zelda games. Which is totally fine! Ocarina got these same gushing reviews and you never played it?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

parallelodad posted:

Given that Puyo and SFII are also $40, I wonder if Nintendo maybe has a rule about minimum physical game prices?
Puyo Puyo Tetris is $30, same as PS4. SFII is $40 because Capcom are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Maybe you just don't like Zelda games. Which is totally fine! Ocarina got these same gushing reviews and you never played it?

To be fair, BOTW isn't like any other Zelda game out there. Like, at all. So, if he doesn't like this one, it may be he really likes the previous installments.

• Locked thread