Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kirios posted:

The Switch actually really owns. Haters are either A. Trolls, or B. Are unable to buy a Switch and are lashing out like a manchild.

Just ignore them.

maybe we need two threads so people who get defensive about the new nintendo thing can go in there and poo poo that thread up as well

it'll be just like the wii u years, we could even buy new emoticons to indicate when we're going to SWITCH back to our preferred thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Sometimes, a console is so bad that even amazing games won't get people to buy them.

I do find it funny however how Wii U owners continue to gush over it and try to convince people to buy it. It's like they are trying to convince themselves that they made a good purchase. I have no doubt that those Wii U games were, in fact, really good. But c'mon. Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.
I really like the Wii U's library, way more than the Wii's, but if you're not into Nintendo's stuff the system has very little to offer. Splatoon's a great game but if you like it and aren't a fan of much else on the system, then it becomes an extremely hard sell.

It wasn't the games that failed the Wii U, but the release of like 2-3 marquee titles a year. People aren't going to buy your system when big titles are spaced 6-8 months apart. I think Nintendo has learned their lesson and is at least getting indie devs on board early. The Switch also has the niche of being portable, so I hope that keeps it afloat since I don't buy that big list of third party devs anymore than when they did the same for the Wii U.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How hard could it be to make a third party dock for this thing that is affordable?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

Nintendo systems have the best couch multiplayer games. I hope the trend continues with Switch.

Snipperclips absolutely owns as a couch multiplayer game. A couple beers in and the game is absolutely bonkers fun

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Inzombiac posted:

Zelda armor:
I swear to god, if you don't dye your Zora armor red as a tribute to Mipha, you are a heartless monster. The helmet is easy to find if you know the clue and the legs are a reward for a Zora side quest. I think it only opens up after to regain control of the beast.

The stealth suit, of course, is wonderful and I'm a big fan of pure white dye on it. Makes me feel like Storm Shadow. After FINALLY finding the second great fairy (Tarry town. I went all over that area except the grove) I'm happy to report that set bonuses are cool but the Hylian and Guard sets don't get one.

Please don't post Zelda spoiler outside of the Zelda thread.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Switch owns, Wii U owns, Nintendo owns. Haters DO NOT own.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Maybe you just don't like Zelda games. Which is totally fine! Ocarina got these same gushing reviews and you never played it?

He probably just already had his fill of Ubisoft games

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

irlZaphod posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is $30, same as PS4. SFII is $40 because Capcom are insane.

He mentioned physical. Which is $39.99. The physical version of the game on PS4 is $29.99. Albeit I guess you are paying $10 for a free keychain with the Switch version?

http://www.gamestop.com/games/puyo-puyo-tetris-nintendo-switch/141921

Someone mentioned that the Eshop version is $29.99 however, but that isn't the physical edition as he was talking about.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 8, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Utnayan posted:

To be fair, BOTW isn't like any other Zelda game out there. Like, at all. So, if he doesn't like this one, it may be he really likes the previous installments.

He didn't play any 3D Zeldas ever before this one so :shrug:

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

fivegears4reverse posted:

maybe we need two threads so people who get defensive about the new nintendo thing can go in there and poo poo that thread up as well

it'll be just like the wii u years, we could even buy new emoticons to indicate when we're going to SWITCH back to our preferred thread

careful, i believe this suggestion is a trigger to begin renaming the thread

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Utnayan posted:

C.) Wish Nintendo would pull their heads out of their rear end and either make a console that matches today's value consumer standards when compared to their competition, even if it is underpowered, or go 3rd party and wrap up the hardware business altogether.

You're never going to buy Mario and Zelda games on Steam for 10 dollars on a Steam Sale, stop deluding yourself.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mahoning posted:

On a technical level, no. But we don't consume games technically, we consume them experientially. I don't have any more fun playing a game because the console has more teraflops or something. I do if I can easily play it with friends and family.

Other consoles have had working multiplayer for... 40-ish years?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Kirios posted:

You're never going to buy Mario and Zelda games on Steam for 10 dollars on a Steam Sale, stop deluding yourself.

I don't want too. I want to buy a Mario/Zelda game with their great mechanics to be displayed natively (Or even Checkerboarded at this point) on a 4k HDR TV via Ps Pro or Scorpio and pay $59.99 with a solid frame rate that doesn't drop into the 20's on 900p/720p.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
We should stop posting like a bunch of crabs in a pot full of turds imho

You dudes are right about the Wii U gamepad being generally underused. Most games ended up with a map or inventory there and while that's nice it's not the most imaginative thing you could do with it. I don't think that makes it a poo poo console, the games are good and that's the best measure of a console imo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Another thing that will never happen. You're being entirely unrealistic with your expectations.

Not to mention if Nintendo were to fail in the hardware business, it would mean huge layoffs and shifts. Whatever Mario / Zelda you got would likely be heavily bastardized by the time it went 3rd party.

This is a future you do not understand.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Astro7x posted:

How hard could it be to make a third party dock for this thing that is affordable?

Well, whatever is doing the lockout has to be reverse engineered first unless they license from Nintendo and I wouldn't imagine that'd be that much cheaper than their own.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Switch is Good, and I feel sorry for anyone who got a messed up console. I got a bricked Wii and that sucked poo poo. I hope the next batch of consoles is more reliable.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Utnayan posted:

I don't want too. I want to buy a Mario/Zelda game with their great mechanics to be displayed natively (Or even Checkerboarded at this point) on a 4k HDR TV via Ps Pro or Scorpio and pay $59.99 with a solid frame rate that doesn't drop into the 20's on 900p/720p.

Nintendo will leave the game market before going 3rd party.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Snipperclips absolutely owns as a couch multiplayer game. A couple beers in and the game is absolutely bonkers fun

Snipperclips should be the bundle game, not 1-2 Switch.

But what they really need is Switch Sports

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

Another thing that will never happen. You're being entirely unrealistic with your expectations.

It's the only thing that saved Sega. It may come down to them not having a choice.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Utnayan posted:

It's the only thing that saved Sega. It may come down to them not having a choice.

Nintendo will have to entire a hell of a downward spiral to reach that point, though. You have to admit that fact.

Roadie posted:

Snipperclips should be the bundle game, not 1-2 Switch.Nothing

ftfy

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Roadie posted:

Snipperclips should be the bundle game, not 1-2 Switch.

1-2 switch isn't bundled either. Which is whatever, I'd consider getting it if it cost as much as Snipperclips

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, Sega 3rd party post Dreamcast is exactly what I was referencing to. Sega pre crash and post crash were/are two entirely different companies. You don't have any unique or quirky games from them anymore.

RIP Jet Set Radio, you were too good for this world.

Not to mention Sonic. But sure, feel free to point to Sega as your example of it "working."

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

uh there are dozens of people in this thread jazzed about a new lovely sonic

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

THE loving MOON posted:

1-2 switch isn't bundled either.

:thejoke:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HyperPuma posted:

And it's because fans of classic Sonic finally convinced Sega to stop loving it up and let the fans make it for them.

Why are you people making my points for me?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kirios posted:

Yeah, Sega 3rd party post Dreamcast is exactly what I was referencing to. Sega pre crash and post crash were/are two entirely different companies. You don't have any unique or quirky games from them anymore.

RIP Jet Set Radio, you were too good for this world.

Not to mention Sonic. But sure, feel free to point to Sega as your example of it "working."

Keep in mind, our perspective as "hardcore gamers" is kind of... warped? Sonic has games coming out pretty much annually and a currently-airing TV series. It's a merchandising powerhouse. It's practically the definition of a successful franchise.

Those games being terrible has little impact on the process.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Nintendo will have to entire a hell of a downward spiral to reach that point, though. You have to admit that fact.

Oh for sure. But the Wii U started that. But aside from just console business, with decisions like this one... (Basically forgoing licensing revenue on Pokemon Go and not restructuring that and instead, making a pokemon go accessory) well, kind of defines they need a drastic change of the guard. They cannot move their cheese and adapt to the current market place. When they crash, it will be fast and hard.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/nintendo-pokemon-go-shares-stock-fall/

It's these continual mistakes that will hurt Nintendo more and more... The console failures will just be the tipping point.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 8, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Keep in mind, our perspective as "hardcore gamers" is kind of... warped? Sonic has games coming out pretty much annually and a currently-airing TV series. It's a merchandising powerhouse. It's practically the definition of a successful franchise.

Those games being terrible has little impact on the process.

Sure, and I do agree with this point. However, he's selling it as "Now I get to play Mario and Zelda on 4k Scorpio!" or whatever.

Yeah, you get to play the Mario equivalent of Sonic Unleashed in 4k . That sounds...awful.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

HyperPuma posted:

There are people saying that a new Sonic game looks pretty good, but are prepared for it to be pretty bad.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kirios posted:

You only believe this because you haven't played the Yakuza games.

Yakuza is basically "What if Sega made a good video game as opposed to Shenmue, and then was successful enough to not need a kickstarter to finish a story nobody actually cares about."

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

what about the mario equivalent of sonic 2006

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HyperPuma posted:

what about the mario equivalent of sonic 2006

Mario can already kiss a human-proportioned woman 2.5x his height.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sir

I have played every Yakuza game but 0. I adore that series.

It's a bloody miracle that we even get that here. I cherish it.

However, it's definitely a unique shining spot on an otherwise bloody track record for Sega after the Dreamcast.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

Sure, and I do agree with this point. However, he's selling it as "Now I get to play Mario and Zelda on 4k Scorpio!" or whatever.

Yeah, you get to play the Mario equivalent of Sonic Unleashed in 4k . That sounds...awful.

I am not talking about 3rd party producing and Nintendo publishing. I am talking about Nintendo 1st party titles being developed in house (By Nintendo), developed for 3rd party Consoles. Also, Comparing Sega and Nintendo in the development business isn't fair. Nintendo destroyed Sega in that area, and always will. Sega fails not because of the switch (No pun intended) into software development/publishing, Sega fails because it's Sega.

That doesn't mean the same thing would happen with Nintendo.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 8, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Maybe you just don't like Zelda games. Which is totally fine! Ocarina got these same gushing reviews and you never played it?

Didn't buy much of anything in 1998. I had just moved out of my parents house and was living on $1,000 per month.

Zelda games before BotW have never appealed to me but well crafted open world games do, and I liked what I saw from BotW. If it was getting 8 out of 10s instead of 10s I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I have the means, and I can return the Switch before April, so why not give it a shot? I gave Horizon a shot recently too despite doubts and now consider it one of my fav games ever. Same with Witcher 3 - didn't like Witcher 2 but Witcher 3 is amazing. Gotta always give new stuff a chance.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Utnayan posted:

I am not talking about 3rd party producing and Nintendo publishing. I am talking about Nintendo 1st party titles being developed in house (By Nintendo), developed for 3rd party Consoles.

And you don't think Nintendo failing to such an extent to no longer make hardware would have a...negative result on the quality of their products? There would be a mass exodus of talent at Nintendo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Utnayan posted:

Oh for sure. But the Wii U started that. But aside from just console business, with decisions like this one... (Basically forgoing licensing revenue on Pokemon Go and not restructuring that and instead, making a pokemon go accessory) well, kind of defines they need a drastic change of the guard. They cannot move their cheese and adapt to the current market place. When they crash, it will be fast and hard.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/nintendo-pokemon-go-shares-stock-fall/

It's these continual mistakes that will hurt Nintendo more and more... The console failures will just be the tipping point.

I sincerely miss Iwata's personality, but Kimishima is a business man like Yamauchi was, and I think that will be far more beneficial to Nintendo in the long run.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

There are people saying that a new Sonic game looks pretty good, but are prepared for it to be pretty bad.

Sonic Mania at least looks like a sure bet. Sonic 2017 is a coinflip at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

And you don't think Nintendo failing to such an extent to no longer make hardware would have a...negative result on the quality of their products?

No. Did the failure of the Wii U stop the quality of the 1st party titles released for it?

• Locked thread