Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

King Kong Lives is a weird movie, but I also saw it as a kid in the theaters and remember Kong killing those rednecks more than the rest of the film. There is a tv cut of the 76 Kong that has 45 minutes of extra footage, pushing it to almost 3 hours in length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm pretty sure that was King Kong Lives in '86 with Linda Hamilton where Mr. Kong had heart surgery and Ms. Kong was introduced.

I saw that as a kid and the only thing I could remember was Kong eating some dude, then picking the little red hat out of his teeth.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

So the hat wasn't red, I'm talking twenty-five years ago. Still a hat, motherfucker.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

Talk about your blandly written movies. I can't even get through Apocalypse, it's such a snooze.

Don't worry too much; Dougherty only did the first pass on the story with Dan Harris before Simon Kinberg took over and wrote the actual script. I really wouldn't blame Dougherty for the mess that is Apocalypse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So the hat wasn't red, I'm talking twenty-five years ago. Still a hat, motherfucker.

Wasn't meant as a rebuttal! I remembered that shot too so I went to go find it so that others could enjoy it. Also there's a dude that he *snaps* in half. Oddly enough reading up on it my memory wasn't jogged about the rest of the movie. My memory is just the surgery and Kong killing people.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

dont even fink about it posted:

Things are going quite well for King Kong here before Godzilla powerslams him into the sea.

Kong wins.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lobok posted:

Wasn't meant as a rebuttal! I remembered that shot too so I went to go find it so that others could enjoy it. Also there's a dude that he *snaps* in half. Oddly enough reading up on it my memory wasn't jogged about the rest of the movie. My memory is just the surgery and Kong killing people.

Sorry, thought it was a "WRONG COLOR MOTHERFUCKER" post.

I honestly can't remember much else about that one. I saw the '76 movie recently on television, which is why I commented on how eery it is that NYC is shot as though it's deserted, and there's so much silence on the soundtrack. If it wasn't for the fact that it was still another two years before the slasher movie boom started, I'd say the '76 Kong was influenced by that.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

K. Waste posted:

Well, being instinctive rivals, there's no doubt they will attempt to destroy one another.

Don't worry, I appreciated this.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Rirse posted:

Is this canon?

No, but this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oCF-QFuoYs

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HannibalBarca posted:

Don't worry, I appreciated this.

:high five:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ZBxLjk4qs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember the American Godzilla 98 marketing campaign being obsessed with size comparisons, then when the movie came out, they completely ignored all that poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_oiHWXLIFI

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The Godzilla 1998 marketing campaign was possibly the most cringe-inducing thing in advertising history, in retrospect.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw I meant it in the sense of "cybernetics-based themes that have been part of the American movie-going zeitgeist for three decades instead of something related but different"

It could have been a generic spy thriller but with cyborgs and it still would feel like an original film now. "Altered memory" plot was an unique thing back in 1995 when GITS came out, now it's such an old trope today. The reveal in Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning was more original (mostly because they telegraphed after Scott Adkins leaves the hospital) than when that poo poo popped up in the first episode of GITS: ARISE.

Also, anything could be made better "but with cyborgs". Imagine John Wick or The Raid "but with cyborgs" (meaning a whole lot of goons suddenly become a real threat when you can down them with a single headshot or throat hit).

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 8, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HannibalBarca posted:

The Godzilla 1998 marketing campaign was possibly the most cringe-inducing thing in advertising history, in retrospect.

Video game ads in early 90s magazines have it beat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Video game ads in early 90s magazines have it beat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Suck what down, John?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Geostorm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI_Yau69onQ

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

New Thor will be good:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Suck what down, John?

I want to imagine Killcreek gave him the biggest stinkeye ever when she saw that ad and realized, "I'm sleeping with this guy."

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Haven't we done this film like a dozen times now

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
All anyone really remembers from GodZilla '98 is Puff Daddy's 'Come With Me'.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Here, leezard leezard leezard

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I remember working in a theater that dedicated 4 of it's 9 screens to it. None of them sold out, but we did have a couple Seattle Supersonics at one of the screenings.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CopywrightMMXI posted:

as the poster below you points out, there was also that awful Taco Bell chihuahua

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember working in a theater that dedicated 4 of it's 9 screens to it. None of them sold out

this is essentially G'98 in a nutshell

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

All anyone really remembers from GodZilla '98 is Jamiroquai's 'Deeper Underground'.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HannibalBarca posted:

as the poster below you points out, there was also that awful Taco Bell chihuahua

this is essentially G'98 in a nutshell

We sold enough tickets to Titanic to keep it coasting until early July :shrug:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

We sold enough tickets to Titanic to keep it coasting until early July :shrug:

G'98 was such a box office fizzle that Dean Devlin got Mad Online and shut down a message board because people were laughing at the fact that they came nowhere near their target numbers lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ruddiger posted:

I remember the American Godzilla 98 marketing campaign being obsessed with size comparisons, then when the movie came out, they completely ignored all that poo poo.

wasn't the godzilla in that movie a girl too?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Haven't we done this film like a dozen times now

This time it's explicitly, directly our fault (because we pressed the bad button on the weather machine) rather than being indirectly our fault (we accidentally caused global warming by being greedy). An insightful view on how we view human nature in 2017.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Snooze Cruise posted:

wasn't the godzilla in that movie a girl too?

No but now that you mention it we missed the boat for a feminist Godzilla.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
90s Godzilla did have all those eggs in the Square Garden

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Red Bones posted:

This time it's explicitly, directly our fault (because we pressed the bad button on the weather machine) rather than being indirectly our fault (we accidentally caused global warming by being greedy). An insightful view on how we view human nature in 2017.

A hundred bucks says it's terrorists trying to destroy the world.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HannibalBarca posted:

It did give us that one Sprite ad taking the piss out of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shneak posted:

Oh yeah, it reproduced asexually or something.
A feminist godzilla would be pretty fun.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shneak posted:

Where did the eggs come from then smart guy?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The 98 Godzilla soundtrack is good because it does have a few legit great songs on it, and also because it's pure 90s. See also the soundtracks for The Faculty and Scream 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Codependent Poster posted:

The 98 Godzilla soundtrack is good because it does have a few legit great songs on it, and also because it's pure 90s. See also the soundtracks for The Faculty and Scream 2.

Batman Forever's soundtrack is peak '90s: Seal, Nick Cave, Method Man, U2, Iggy Pop, Flaming Lips, PJ Harvey, Brandy ... I mean, jeez.

Edit: I forgot that Nick Cave so completely hated the song he did for the soundtrack that he kept it off the Bad Seeds' B-Sides and Rarities three-disc set back in like 2006, which had literally every other soundtrack contribution they'd ever done to that point. :lol:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

I saw King Kong Lives in theaters as a child as well (which I guess means nearly half of all the people who saw it are posting in this thread :v: ) and the only thing I remember is the surgery scene. I've thought about trying to dig up copies of those Kong movies just to check them out again, but there's no way I'm paying to watch them.

I kind of liked the grimy King Kong ride they had at Universal Studios. Much like the Jaws ride, it was cheesy and straight out of the 1970's but I was still amused by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A lot of lizard lasses can fertilize their own eggs: Parthenogenesis

• Locked thread