Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Beedrill stone just reminds me of how weird some of their picks for who got megas were. I get that they are trying ot retroactively make some of them usable, but who wanted Beerdrill? Who sat there and thought, "Yeah, the Kanto starter bird needs a good buff right about now." At leas some of them look kinda goofy to make them fun. Like Mega Slowbro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hrist posted:

The Beedrill stone just reminds me of how weird some of their picks for who got megas were. I get that they are trying ot retroactively make some of them usable, but who wanted Beerdrill? Who sat there and thought, "Yeah, the Kanto starter bird needs a good buff right about now." At leas some of them look kinda goofy to make them fun. Like Mega Slowbro.

I wanted Beedrill.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasps are mad scary and Mega Beedrill is badass.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I won't allow anyone to say bad things about my good friend Mega Beedrill.

Mega Pidgeot is poo poo though, feel free to insult that one. Mega Fearow or Mega Dodrio would've been so much better, or hell, why not Mega Staraptor? That could be genuinely useful.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mega Pidgeot is cool! And its new stat spread and ability fills an interesting niche! Staraptor's already great, Dodrio's been mostly caught up with its new stat boosts and that's all Fearow would need to be useful what with its unique access to Drill Run.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

I won't allow anyone to say bad things about my good friend Mega Beedrill.

Mega Pidgeot is poo poo though, feel free to insult that one. Mega Fearow or Mega Dodrio would've been so much better, or hell, why not Mega Staraptor? That could be genuinely useful.

Mega Pidgeot is cool. Mega Staraptor is unnecessary, as Staraptor is already kinda OK. Pidgeot just flat out sucked before Mega.

The ones that made the least sense to me were Medicham and Audino. Beedrill I just forgot about.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mega Audino is a Mega designed for doubles but it's just kinda lovely. Mega Medicham is really just a generic power boost but it also comes with a really useful speed increase.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hrist posted:

Who sat there and thought, "Yeah, the Kanto starter bird needs a good buff right about now."

I did and I'm glad now, thanks

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Where would you put the 100 points on Mega Staraptor though? SPATK would be pointless, and boosting his attack any higher than it is would be pretty ridiculous. As much as I'd love to see something dumb like an Aerialate Return on a mega staraptor.

e: Pompador bigger than the sun.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wanted Beedrill.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nah, just give it Scrappy as an ability and add 25 points to everything but Sp.Atk and HP. Presto, now it eats Spiritomb and Sableye for breakfast.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Where's my Mega Crobat with Merciless/Aerialate, 30 more in attack, 20 more in speed, and 25 and 25 in the defenses?

HUH, GAME FREAK?!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Hrist posted:

Is it from gen one?

Okay quota filled.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I want a Mega Spiritomb. My favorite goofy rear end ghost. :3:

And give it something like Prism Armor so it can go back to having no weaknesses. (They better nerf Fairy a bit in the next gen. It doesn't need to be Ice minus like 3 weaknesses.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Nah, just give it Scrappy as an ability and add 25 points to everything but Sp.Atk and HP. Presto, now it eats Spiritomb and Sableye for breakfast.

This would make it hit less hard against everything else though cause it would lose Reckless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Where would you put the 100 points on Mega Staraptor though? SPATK would be pointless, and boosting his attack any higher than it is would be pretty ridiculous. As much as I'd love to see something dumb like an Aerialate Return on a mega staraptor.

Remember that mega evolutions lose their item, so if they're not gaining a big offensive ability they need those huge stat gains just to keep their attacks from getting weaker. And Staraptor already has an ability to power up its most common attacks--if you gave it Aerialate you could just straight up dump +100 Attack on it and Return still wouldn't hit as hard as Reckless Choice Band Brave Bird on regular Staraptor.

I like megas that explore new niches, too, so you could do something like +50 Attack/+50 Defense with Intimidate (allowing for double Intimidate shenanigans), play up the tankiness of an Intimidate mon with Roost that still hits hard enough to scare things off.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, I really can't even think of what I would want to have megas anyway. I was happy enough with Mawile. But some of them just seem really random. Starters, sure. Mewtwo, of course. But then it gets to that tier of picks where they might as well be, 'Uh... what about Mega Torcoal?'

I think that's my hang up with Pidgeot and Beedrill and stuff. I feel like new move pools would do a lot more than just raising stats. Gen 1 bugs especially have that stigma in my mind of being not great, outside of Butterfree having psychic moves pretty early.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hrist posted:

To be fair, I really can't even think of what I would want to have megas anyway. I was happy enough with Mawile. But some of them just seem really random. Starters, sure. Mewtwo, of course. But then it gets to that tier of picks where they might as well be, 'Uh... what about Mega Torcoal?'

I think that's my hang up with Pidgeot and Beedrill and stuff. I feel like new move pools would do a lot more than just raising stats. Gen 1 bugs especially have that stigma in my mind of being not great, outside of Butterfree having psychic moves pretty early.

I would like Mega Torcoal too if i'm being honest.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mega Camerupt is soooooooooooo laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Dabir posted:

This would make it hit less hard against everything else though cause it would lose Reckless.
Only time I owned a Staraptor was in Gen IV man. I didn't remember it even had a Hidden Ability. TBH I think the best candidates for Mega Evolution at this point would be Pokemon that supposedly fill a similar niche, but one is flatly superior to the other. E.g., Pinsir vs. Heracross prior to Gen VI. Heracross gets to evolve into a different but still powerful niche--multi-hit attacks--and Pinsir gets to evolve into a form that's really good at killing Heracross.

Along similar lines there's Flygon and Garchomp. Garchomp gets to evolve into a speedy wall-breaker, so Flygon gets to evolve into MODOGK (Mega Organism Designed Only for Garchomp Killing). Hell, it can even keep the Levitate ability. Just make it Dragon/Fairy and dump everything into Speed, Attack and Special Attack. Now it's a legit threat, but still goes down to one STAB Ice Shard/Bullet Punch.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

Remember that mega evolutions lose their item, so if they're not gaining a big offensive ability they need those huge stat gains just to keep their attacks from getting weaker. And Staraptor already has an ability to power up its most common attacks--if you gave it Aerialate you could just straight up dump +100 Attack on it and Return still wouldn't hit as hard as Reckless Choice Band Brave Bird on regular Staraptor.

I like megas that explore new niches, too, so you could do something like +50 Attack/+50 Defense with Intimidate (allowing for double Intimidate shenanigans), play up the tankiness of an Intimidate mon with Roost that still hits hard enough to scare things off.

Eh, Not everything needs to be "but how will this play in doubles." Sometimes it's nice to just have a 'mon that's good for casually playing through the game.

All the neat dudes I decided to use in SuMo are so ludicrously slow and evolve so late, I'm just glad that the berry farm has given me more sitrus berries than I know what to do with.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here's how they decide which mega stones + moves + move sets + any other curious things get added:

gamefreak 1: i made a cool thing
gamefreak 2: i just added it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's also partially based off of if they can come up with a design for one. Flygon was planned to have a mega, but didn't get one solely because they couldn't come up with a good design.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's also partially based off of if they can come up with a design for one. Flygon was planned to have a mega, but didn't get one solely because they couldn't come up with a good design.

I'm actually mad now that I've heard this

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

No wait, guys... Guys, I've got it!

Perfect.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Before they made snorlax stand up they could have made him the easiest mega ever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

Before they made snorlax stand up they could have made him the easiest mega ever.

Nah, snorlax lying passed out is the mega. Give him the sleepy koala thing's ability and let him be a status absorber.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Snorlax is also easy: he has a heart attack and dies. Now he's Normal/Ghost thereby removing his biggest flaw, which is that Close Combat is a move which exists.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

WRT terrible gen 1 Pokemon that could use a mega, Rapidash is still awful while Arcanine has always been decent and Ninetales got Drought, and Seaking has always been terrible forever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mega Seaking's ability is "people briefly remember that Seaking exists."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mega Seaking's ability is Multitype

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Seaking at least had that brief gently caress Yeah Seaking meme-ish thing way back. I like Seaking well enough.

I think you're thinking of Lumineon, for Pokemon that is most often accompanied by "Who?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luminenon is the Pokemon everyone immediately goes to when the topic of ignored pokemon comes up, which basically means that it can't be the most ignored pokemon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[solemnly] i know lumineon, and frankly all of the monsters

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Luminenon is the Pokemon everyone immediately goes to when the topic of ignored pokemon comes up, which basically means that it can't be the most ignored pokemon.

That's honestly a good point. I wonder who the most genuinely forgettable Pokemon is then. Would we even be able to remember?

Maybe Qwilfish?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
stantler, girafarig and swalot are up there.

edit: carnivine

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Can confirm. I almost used it instead of Torcoal.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eox posted:

stantler, girafarig and swalot are up there.

edit: carnivine

I completely forgot Carnivine was a thing. I think I could name every Pokemon, from a picture at least, but I would have been completely stumped by this guy.

EDIT: Ooh, Volbeat and Illumise.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember when lightning rod got changed so it absorbs electric attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Reminder that Pineco exists. Forretress is memorable cause competitive, but it evolves from a loving PINECONE.

e: Tyrogue is also extremely forgettable

e2: CHINGLING. THE MOST FORGETTABLE POKEMON