Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

rovert posted:

I've maintained he's a Heavyweight. Re-asked two days ago and yep still a Heavyweight.

Kevin Kelly is full of poo poo, as per usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I usually believe Rovert but ZSJ is just too small to be a HW.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Rovert is right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

I usually believe Rovert but ZSJ is just too small to be a HW.

With the three belts around his waist, yeah I can absolutely believe he steps on the scale at heavy weight levels

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He wouldn't have pinned Goto in a match with three CHAOS juniors one night after pinning Shibata if he wasn't going to be a heavyweight. Yes, the NEVER title is technically openweight but they'd never debut a junior that way. Look at Hiromu's reintroduction in November if you want to see how they'd push a junior as a star.

Chris James 2 posted:

With the three belts around his waist, yeah I can absolutely believe he steps on the scale at heavy weight levels

Wouldn't shock me if he adds a fourth soon....

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Venomous posted:

He is possibly the worst announcer in pro wrestling today. Matt Striker, Mongo McMichael, and Yoshitatsu are all better at getting the wrestlers over.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Thauros posted:

ZACKY4BELTS

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Under the vegetable posted:

He is possibly the worst announcer in pro wrestling today. Matt Striker, Mongo McMichael, and Yoshitatsu are all better at getting the wrestlers over.

Woah woah woah let's not get crazy here, he's better than Mongo.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Venomous posted:

To be fair NJPW did a faction swerve with Zack this might be similar.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The Japanese announcing tells a story better in English than Kelly does.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

He wouldn't have pinned Goto in a match with three CHAOS juniors one night after pinning Shibata if he wasn't going to be a heavyweight. Yes, the NEVER title is technically openweight but they'd never debut a junior that way.

have any juniors even actually challenged for that belt? Wikipedia says Masato Tanaka was the lightest champion.

rovert posted:

To be fair NJPW did a faction swerve with Zack this might be similar.

Was that deliberate then? I just assumed whoever made the graphic thought all skinny Brits were the same and mixed him up with Ospreay.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think ibushi challenged for it when he was a junior or something

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thauros posted:

He wouldn't have pinned Goto in a match with three CHAOS juniors one night after pinning Shibata if he wasn't going to be a heavyweight. Yes, the NEVER title is technically openweight but they'd never debut a junior that way. Look at Hiromu's reintroduction in November if you want to see how they'd push a junior as a star.

Goto wouldn't have even been in the match if Zack was a junior. NJPW is pretty careful about balancing their tags with respect to the divisions. Plus, without ZSJ in the heavyweight division, Suzuki-Gun would just be an army of juniors (and one big gaijin) led by an already small heavyweight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thrifting Day! posted:

The Japanese announcing tells a story better in English than Kelly does.

"AJ STYLES GO HOME! :argh:" was a great line :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

"AJ STYLES GO HOME! :argh:" was a great line :)

YOUNG-AH BUCK-AH GO HOME

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think ibushi challenged for it when he was a junior or something

yeah, on that Yokohama Arena show that bombed in part because AJ hadn't gotten over yet. KUSHIDA also challenged Ishii during that same reign on a Taiwan show. Other than that, nothing

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

yeah, on that Yokohama Arena show that bombed in part because AJ hadn't gotten over yet. KUSHIDA also challenged Ishii during that same reign on a Taiwan show. Other than that, nothing

they do Taiwan shows? How often do they do them? I'm in Taiwan and if they come here semi-regularly I'd want to check out a show

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

they do Taiwan shows? How often do they do them? I'm in Taiwan and if they come here semi-regularly I'd want to check out a show

like once a year, maybe twice at most

Here's the most recent one they ran:

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 9, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

like once a year, maybe twice at most

They're to the point of running in Taiwan and Singapore one weekend a year each IIRC, right. If you poke around on their page you can find dates but I think they were in Taiwan in late Jan-Feb, from memory. But much like WWE making a single annual trip to Japan, those international NJPW ones are pretty regularly set.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cheers, I'll keep an eye on their schedule. Too bad I didn't get into NJPW sooner. I could have seen Yoshitatsu vs. BONE SOLDIER live in the flesh.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Goto wouldn't have even been in the match if Zack was a junior. NJPW is pretty careful about balancing their tags with respect to the divisions. Plus, without ZSJ in the heavyweight division, Suzuki-Gun would just be an army of juniors (and one big gaijin) led by an already small heavyweight.

Plus this means we should get ZSJ in the G1, which means everyone wins.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
On WOR today Meltzer has finally realised Zack Sabre Jr. is a New Japan Heavyweight.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
But the young bucks aren't and they are physically larger than him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bigass Moth posted:

But the young bucks aren't and they are physically larger than him.

Zack's also way more muscley than either of the bucks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.njpw1972.com/g1special/

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I wonder what the breakdown between English-speaking and Japanese diaspora fans will be.

Have NJPW ever tried to do a show in Hawaii? It seems like an easy win - a shorter plane ride for the guys and a huge Japanese-American population.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

They need to fire their web dev and hire me solely because of the error in the page name

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

harperdc posted:

They're to the point of running in Taiwan and Singapore one weekend a year each IIRC, right. If you poke around on their page you can find dates but I think they were in Taiwan in late Jan-Feb, from memory. But much like WWE making a single annual trip to Japan, those international NJPW ones are pretty regularly set.

They ran three shows in Singapore last year and hopefully that's going to be the norm here going forward. They did the TV taping last November but last few years they have been running two spotshows back to back during the summer at the Chara Expo. This is a convention Bushiroad sponsors here with bandai and some others, mostly a bunch of tables of Cardfight! players/collectors and such, plus a lot of anime voice actors and Gundam stuff. They basically just plop a ring down in the far end of the hall and run the show, with it being free standing room for the seven bucks or so the festival admission costs, but you can pay an extra ten bucks for a ringside seat. They claimed the total attendance last year was 19,000 so it would seem to be pretty great exposure for them. They sold out most of the merchandise on the first day, and had Okada do autograph signings and such.

Here's bushiroads press release from after the event, a picture of the size of the crowd and such is midway down to get an idea what it's like:

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/sg/pinpoi...po-2016-1489171

Looks like their websites down so I can't post the cards but if anyone's curious I can dig out my program and take a picture.

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 10, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tomorrow morning marks the first night of the NJC. 1st round is split this year among the two weekend shows

New Japan Cup Rd 1
March 11th at 4:00 AM EST/9:00 AM GMT
Aichi Prefectural Gym

Hirai Kawato and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. TAKA and Desperado (Suzuki-gun)
Ten-Cozy and Jushin Liger vs. Nagata, Nakanishi, and TMIV
Tomohiro Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI (CHAOS) vs. Kenny Omega and Yujiro (Bullet Club)
Shibata, Juice, KUSHIDA, and Finlay vs. L.I.J (Naito, Hiromu, SANADA, and BUSHI
CHAOS (Okada, Goto, Jado, and Gedo) vs. Suzuki-gun (MiSu, Iizuka, Taichi, and Kanemaru)
NJC 1st Rd:Yuji Nagata vs. Tanga Loa
NJC 1st Rd:Toru Yano vs. Tama Tonga
NJC 1st Rd:Michael Elgin vs. Bad Luck Fale
NJC 1st Rd:Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. EVIL

Sunday's show is strange as it seems to start at the same exact moment the clocks jump forward fom 2 to 3 on the US East Coast due to DST. So the show I guess will start at 3:00 EDT, 1:00 CST. 7:00 GMT?[/b]

New Japan Cup Rd 1
March 12th at 3:00 EDT/7:00 GMT
Hyogo Baycom Gym

David Finlay vs. TOmoyuki Oka
Jushin Liger and Yuji Nagata vs. Manabu Nakanishi and Tiger Mask
Ten-Cozy and Hirai Kawato vs. Bad Luck Fale and G.O.D.
Tana, Elgin, KUSHIDA, and Taguchi vs. L.I.J (Naito, Hiromu, EVIL, and BUSHI)
CHAOS (Okada, Goto, YTR, Jado, and Gedo) vs. Suzuki-gun (Iizuka, Taichi, Kanemaru, TAKA, and Desperado)
NJC Rd 1: Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro Takahashi
NJC Rd 1:YOSHI-HASHI vs. SANADA
NJC Rd 1:Katsuyori Shibata vs. Minoru Suzuki
NJC Rd 1:Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm pulling for Juice but a second round match up against Suzuki or Shibata doesn't bode well for his chances barring some shenanigans from the loser of the first round match. At least he should beat Yujiro.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The NJC matches on that second card look way better, but EVIL vs. Tanahashi should be rad too.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hard kicks tomorrow
Suzuki Shibata fight
Painful submissions

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That is a solid rear end bracket. I'm predicting an Omega/Elgin final but I'm not sure yet who I think wins it all.

Shibata/Suzuki is going to be the toughest tough guy poo poo and I can't wait.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A Juice chant. Whatever city this is knows what's up.

Is David Finlay a junior btw? The makeup of the teams would suggest he is, but he looks around the same size as Naito, Juice and Shibata.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah time for New Japan Cup, I wonder what is going on right no-

:stare:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The undercard is done and the cup matches are about to begin if anyone's waiting on that. 2 hours in for anyone watching the show later and wanting to skip the tags.

There's an intermission so probably more like 2 hours 10

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 11, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

well, made it for the top two matches at least

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EVIL! :neckbeard:

Shame about Bad Luck Fale though.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
EVERYTHING IS EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Huh, genuinely no idea who comes out of this side of the bracket now. Thought it would be Elgin for sure, then Tanahashi when he was eliminated.

• Locked thread