Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I hate when the Blood Moon comes and those stories sound frustrating but I guess the developers succeeded in making us fear a game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

All I can think about lately is "why am I not playing Zelda right this second"

It's a good feeling to have

Youre probably playing it right, maybe try again when the rain stops so you dont slide down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

I hate when the Blood Moon comes and those stories sound frustrating but I guess the developers succeeded in making us fear a game mechanic.

It happens when im doing something important and its the worst to get the cutscene when im climbing or fighting. Lots about the game feels like a first try that needs improvement to not be annoying.

What a horrible bloodmoon to have a curse

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TheScott2K posted:

I could have an hour lunch but it would mean being at work 30 minutes longer

A lot of people.don't have that option. I have set working hours.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has this become Zelda thread mk 2?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Knowing now that you don't have to press the release buttons on the back of the joycons to release the straps makes them 100x easier to deal with.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Louisgod posted:

Knowing now that you don't have to press the release buttons on the back of the joycons to release the straps makes them 100x easier to deal with.

No way!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, whatever is doing the lockout has to be reverse engineered first unless they license from Nintendo and I wouldn't imagine that'd be that much cheaper than their own.

There is actually a lockout that prevents the video signal to be sent over USB-C? Interesting...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

All I can think about lately is "why am I not playing Zelda right this second"

It's a good feeling to have

Last night I was tired and could only play an hour so I played I am Setsuna.

The Switch is good, imo

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shot in the dark here, but anybody found a decent Switch case that has room for the wall-wart AC adapter?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Astro7x posted:

There is actually a lockout that prevents the video signal to be sent over USB-C? Interesting...

Yes. They're using their own homespun solution to prevent USB C hubs to output video, don't even think power gets passed either if I recall.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes. They're using their own homespun solution to prevent USB C hubs to output video, don't even think power gets passed either if I recall.

This can't be true because how would you use USB c power banks

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kashuno posted:

This can't be true because how would you use USB c power banks

Because it's connected directly. I'm talking about a hub as a man in the middle. The Switch won't talk to it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beastie posted:

I like the mechanic but I'm surprised you can't skip the cutscene when the game is really good about letting you skipping most repetitive cutscenes otherwise.

I just defeated the Lynel near Zora's Domain and I had to use almost everything I had to kill him and than the Blood Moon rose literally right after I killed him.:laugh: It's cool to finally see them in a 3D Zelda. They used to scare the poo poo out of me in Zelda 1 and LTTP. The redesign looks rad as gently caress as well.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 9, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the mechanic but I'm surprised you can't skip the cutscene when the game is really good about letting you skipping most repetitive cutscenes otherwise.

I just defeated the Lynel near Zora's Domain and I had to use almost everything I had to kill him and than the Blood Moon rose literally right after I killed him.:laugh:

You can skip it. I believe either A or B will bring up the Skip button prompt.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can skip it. I believe either A or B will bring up the Skip button prompt.

Oh good. I just figured since the skip prompt is usually already in the corner of the screen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh good. I just figured since the skip prompt is usually already in the corner of the screen.

Just press plus.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Kirios posted:

People with public transit commutes are the best people.

Because we can play the Switch while commuting. Sorry that you have to deal with traffic every day in your life, I get to complete shrines for 40 minutes.

My transit is down 2 flights of stairs from my bedroom to my basement office... I could play the switch for 20 seconds I guess, but I may trip on this one step I forget about periodically....

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Thank you VG for telling the console warriors to quit it.

Trip report: been playing Zelda on the train while going around town and it is so awesome that I'll get home and put the same game up in my TV without skipping a beat. Battery is holding up well I'd easily I'd get over 3 hours given the drain at medium brightness/volume and airplane mode. Recharged from the pack at 11w from 67% back to full in an hour while occupied. Screen is still perfect after being put in a laptop pocket in my bookbag.

Oh and someone said stand by drains too much, Idk what they are talking about I lost 1% in 8 hours when I put it in my bag before sleeping

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys blaster master zero tomorrow

live it love it

be the blaster master

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

live it love it

be the blaster master

Not until it supports pro controller

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Surprised I like the joycon grip so much. I still got a Pro because it's still a better controller and it's easier to switch when I don't have to mess with the joycons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

you can be a blaster master without the pro controller if you truly believe

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

KingEup posted:

Why do you care so much about the vicissitudes of game sales?

I don't really, was just replying to some saying after the launch bump, sale will plummet to nothing until the holidays when Mario comes out.

Real hurthling! posted:

Wait, what? How does it not support the pro controller? Crazy.

edit: looks like they are hoping to have a day 1 patch for Pro controller support

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

you can be a blaster master without the pro controller if you truly believe

its not called blaster apprentice

i gotta go pro

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What a poo poo tone this thread has. Don't you have zelda, snipperclips to play? Don't like the switch? Please keep making GBS threads.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the battery life if you're only playing something like Shovel Knight?
I'm thinking about only playing Zelda at home since it is such a hog and it's hard to notice details when I have sporadic glare.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
If anyone is curious about launch sales of the Switch:

Note: It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparisons to launch weeks of other consoles since initial shipment size, shortages, and tracked days differs from launch to launch.

- Japan: 330K during launch week in line with Vita and PS4. PS2 holds record with 630K.
- North America: Interview with Reggie - "Fri-Sat sales for Nintendo Switch exceeded first 2-day sales in Americas for any system in Nintendo history. Next biggest was Wii."
- UK: 80K sold through the weekend. Double the sales of Wii U but below Wii and 3DS
- Germany: "Best launch of a Nintendo console in Germany"
- Portugal: "Best launch of a Nintendo console in Portugal"
- Italy: "Best launch of a Nintendo console in Italy"
- France: 105K sold. Best launch of any console in France's history. Attractive yet overly optimistic head of Nintendo of France was proven right.
- Spain: 45K Sold. 50K shipped. Best console launch in Spain's history

It's sold out in several regions. Breath of the Wild has a extremely high attach rate everywhere except in Japan. 1-2 Switch is typically the next best selling game.

Nintendo is performing much stronger in Europe. They've typically struggled in that region either due to a lack of appealing titles or poor distribution. France is the exception to this. Nintendo has been the #1 publisher in France for the past few years over the likes of EA and Ubisoft.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Inzombiac posted:

I'm thinking about only playing Zelda at home since it is such a hog and it's hard to notice details when I have sporadic glare.
I think someone in the midst of all the terrible Utnayan posts that it lasts about 8 hours with something like Shovel Knight. There may have been a link to an Ars Technica story.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Less you're on a plane forever Zelda lasts plenty long portable.

Some site said they got 8 hours mobile shovel Knight. :iia:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Any clever analysts have an idea when the next wave of Switches might get sent out?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nice. Sometimes I have around 5 hours of downtime at work and Zelda kills the battery in 3.
Looks like I'm buying Shovel Knight again.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I bought some micro USB to USB C adapters so I could charge the Switch with my existing car charger and AC charger at work.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Utnayan posted:

I was going to recommend returning the Switch and upgrade to a PS Pro and 4k HDR for Horizon but you at least beat me to the Horizon part.

Yeah I have 65" 4k HDR and a Pro too. I've already finished Horizon but intend to go back and do all the side stuff, which I never do.

I have been agreeing with most of your posts on this thread. I just put several more hours into Zelda and it's growing on me but I still keep thinking how much cooler it would have been on non-gimped hardware. I would've gladly paid another $200 for a better quality Switch. As it is I already had to pay the $100 premium for being Canadian.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

eonwe posted:

live it love it

be the blaster master

As a fan of the first game (warts and all) am I going to want to get this immediately?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Switch is not a home console that you can take on the go.

It's a mobile console that you can dock into your TV.

It's the single best mobile console ever made and hyperbolic doomsaying gets us nowhere.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Any clever analysts have an idea when the next wave of Switches might get sent out?

i dont think anyone really knows
next big Nintendo launch is at end of April, so there will probably be another large shipment then
but presumably it's going to be smaller maybe just random shipments until that push

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

The Switch is not a home console that you can take on the go.

It's a mobile console that you can dock into your TV.

It's the single best mobile console ever made and hyperbolic doomsaying gets us nowhere.

Nomad was better.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The switch is the single worst mobile console ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Nomad was better.

Turbo Express did it first.