Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've redone the map on roll20 to load faster and betterer for those people who weren't seeing the east end of the map. Let me know if it isn't working right and I'll change it back. (Or if someone else needs to, go to the map toolbar and drag the "players" Icon back to the original map)

Will see about a set of map chits tonight.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: Special Disciplinary Update

Attention all commanders.

At an informal meeting of the special military tribunal, General RaffyTaffy denied a charge of desertion (in that he intentionally accessed the enemy's Roll20 chat room with the intent of gaining an unfair advantage), but fully and frankly admitted an alternative charge of being absent without leave (in that he inadvertently accessed the enemy's Roll20 chat room while it was out of bounds). The violation was proactively self-reported, the player immediately closed the window when realising the error, and the player offered without prompting to withdraw entirely from the current round. This matter will therefore be settled without recourse to a full court-martial.

You are required to immediately nominate another commander for the brigade that General RaffyTaffy was due to command. The player may continue reading this thread and your Roll20, but may not contribute in any way whatsoever to the discussion of any military matters until Turn 24 of the battle, by which point any information he may have gained access to will be of no use. The player may not at any time make any reference to anything seen in the enemy's Roll20. The player may then take command of an infantry brigade, and is commended for personal integrity in immediately reporting the violation. He is also to be confined to quarters for 21 days and deprived of his beer and wurst rations for that time.

All commanders are reminded that it is their personal responsibility to avoid such mistakes. All commanders are also cautioned most strongly that on active service, desertion and/or repeatedly going absent without leave will result in execution by firing squad. That is all.

Telephone Map

Here is your starting telephone map. Please do not confuse it with the points at which you may deploy your forces.

The telephone map will expand and contract as you advance and retreat.

Divisional HQ

Please note that Divisional HQ will enter the map at the same time as its lead elements enter the map, and at the same location.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: Special Disciplinary Update

Attention all commanders.

At an informal meeting of the special military tribunal, General RaffyTaffy denied a charge of desertion (in that he intentionally accessed the enemy's Roll20 chat room with the intent of gaining an unfair advantage), but fully and frankly admitted an alternative charge of being absent without leave (in that he inadvertently accessed the enemy's Roll20 chat room while it was out of bounds). The violation was proactively self-reported, the player immediately closed the window when realising the error, and the player offered without prompting to withdraw entirely from the current round. This matter will therefore be settled without recourse to a full court-martial.

You are required to immediately nominate another commander for the brigade that General RaffyTaffy was due to command. The player may continue reading this thread and your Roll20, but may not contribute in any way whatsoever to the discussion of any military matters until Turn 24 of the battle, by which point any information he may have gained access to will be of no use. The player may not at any time make any reference to anything seen in the enemy's Roll20. The player may then take command of an infantry brigade, and is commended for personal integrity in immediately reporting the violation. He is also to be confined to quarters for 21 days and deprived of his beer and wurst rations for that time.

All commanders are reminded that it is their personal responsibility to avoid such mistakes. All commanders are also cautioned most strongly that on active service, desertion and/or repeatedly going absent without leave will result in execution by firing squad. That is all.

Telephone Map

Here is your starting telephone map. Please do not confuse it with the points at which you may deploy your forces.

The telephone map will expand and contract as you advance and retreat.

Divisional HQ

Please note that Divisional HQ will enter the map at the same time as its lead elements enter the map, and at the same location.

Per disciplinary action mandated by Kuno von Moltke, Generaloberst. RaffyTaffy is hereby relieved of command and confined to quarters. He will be released from confinement to take command of the 88th Infantry Brigade of the 40th (Saxon) Division when it arrives vice Koolkevz666 who is hurrying forward to take command of RaffyTaffy's previous Cavalry command.

Congratulations Koolkevz666, you now have the Cavalry brigade you requested.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Crazycryodude posted:

Alright, we've been hard at work in Roll20, and have a preliminary OOB. If you've volunteered for a line officer spot and didn't get one, fear not - there's still PLENTY to come, this is just for the first day and a half.

For everyone who's in the OOB, please chime in within 72 hours to confirm you're still active and accept your command.

18th Cav - Saros
1bde - Ikashuhito
2bde - The Sandman
3bde - mossyfisk
4bde - RaffyTaffy

72nd Inf - Flesnolk
1bde - HEY GAIL
2bde - Capfalcon
3bde - Koolkevz666
4bde - Fatis Munk

Reporting in! My boys are ready to show those French what real fighting looks like.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

On the subject of your order of battle.

Your cavalry division is the Bavarian Cavalry Division, with the 1st-4th Bavarian Cavalry Brigades. Your infantry division is the 40th (Saxon) Division, with the 86th, 87th, 88th, and 89th (Saxon) Brigades.

You may all be part of the German armed forces, but the Bavarian Army is not the same thing as the Saxon Army; neither of which which are same thing as the Wurttemburg Army, nor the Prussian Army. Have fun with that.

also, you may refer to the infantry brigades via the following Official Codewords for added security

86th: Green Brigade
87th: Grubby White Brigade
88th: Slightly Pinkish Brigade
89th: Somewhat Mauve Brigade

Ja ne, nuuuu

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mossyfisk posted:

I think the primary concern is cavalry keeping themselves from sniggering every time they hear Ronny from the Infantry speak.
i know two dudes named ronny and two marios, a henri, a peggy, and a janine. the last one was named after a brand of perfume

edit: the bavarian cav needs to be Pappenheim fanboys

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey guys, I brought presents!

I want to make these for the rest of the thread, but I'm out of ideas after providing for all the people who played in the previous round. If you have a nickname or a motto for your brigade, let me know! If you have a complaint to file, also let me know.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Haha that's great, thanks.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wouldn't mind one as the Pedant-General of the 1st independent rules-lawyer company or some german equivalent :)

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Are you doing this to me on purpose? I finally got around to being okay with being infantry and starting to work out how to draw those cool formation diagrams from last round, current status: still no idea, and now I am being rushed to be cavalry. Well can't complain.

On a serious note though any help/hints of designing those cool formation images people used last game would be super helpful.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

Are you doing this to me on purpose? I finally got around to being okay with being infantry and starting to work out how to draw those cool formation diagrams from last round, current status: still no idea, and now I am being rushed to be cavalry. Well can't complain.

On a serious note though any help/hints of designing those cool formation images people used last game would be super helpful.

I think most were just cropped screenshots of the chits in the roll20. I'll try and make sure suitable counters are available later tonight. As for the formations themselves, I don't really know, but you aren't the first person to ask, so I'll have to have a think about it at some point.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Those banners are great, gonna whip something up for myself when I get a chance.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Or you might just tell me what you want me to put on it to save yourself the effort (and also to make sure they are Precisely Standardised).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
aaaa! thank you!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Tevery Best posted:

Hey guys, I brought presents!

Marvelous. I'm far to lazy to do something that looks this good myself, so thanks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

awesome banner presents

Those are great!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Quick Update:
The owner of the original Roll20 room has disappeared, and one of the wonderful things about Roll20 is that there's a bunch of important stuff only the room owner can do. So, we made a new one with Trin as the owner. Basic setup is done, come on in and bug Trin until he gives you GM permissions.

:siren:EVERYBODY PLEASE USE THIS NEW ROLL20 FROM NOW ON:siren:
https://app.roll20.net/join/2072499/xBy_pQ

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Does this mean I have to realign my map again :suicide:

PS use 1 unit = 10in instead of 1in for more zoomable maps
2625 * 7 units

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Already made a full scale map for pushing chits around and a 1 unit = 10 inches version for ease of use.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think we probably won't need the full size unless to-scale companies turn out too small. I'll check it out later, it it doesn't work I might see what a 1unit=5in map looks like, it should allow individual chits to be manipulated at a 200% zoom.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Or you might just tell me what you want me to put on it to save yourself the effort (and also to make sure they are Precisely Standardised).

Can I get one? Pretty please? Of Max Hoffmann?

It can say "Someday, Staff Officers will be relevant" or "Voted highest words/intelligence ratio 2017" you can pick

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:siren:Orders for Bavarian Cavalry Division (Saros):siren:
From the desk of General der Infanterie Kassan Verruckt Kryogene, Graf von Wahrsager, Cassandra aus dem Rhine

Securing the vital crossroads at Stethoscope and a ford across the shallow river bisecting the AO is vital to our future success in this battle. Considering this, make every effort to rapidly take and hold both the town of Stethoscope and the southernmost ford (Ford G). Objectives circled on the enclosed map in blue. Beware of possible ambushes from the red areas (entrenched forces in BdB covering Ford G, and enemy cavalry using the Chemin Creux as cover), and possible enemy reserves in the Foret de Effyaders (white).

(Crunch wise, I'd like to get our strategy hammered out over the next day or so and hopefully have brigade orders in by Thursday evening/Friday.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If we can take Foret de Effyadders I think it could be significantly more useful?

A line of cavalry along that white border would allow infantry to cross over all three northern fords at once in safety. In contrast, a force in Bois de Blob would only really protect the southernmost ford.

For the first two cavalry brigades, remember that anything they haven't spotted by Turn 8 my reinforcement brigade won't know about. The more you see by then, the more useful I can be.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 9, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
My suggestion:

Still waiting for the numbers to be crunched, but the common estimate is that by the southern road, our cavalry will reach Stethoscope by turn 4, and on the northern road they'll reach it by turn 5. In roll20 I've repeatedly advocated we converge on the town, since it's likely the BEF will be heading to Steth and CC to use the defensive terrain to stop our advance dead in its tracks, and that way our approach will be visually shielded depending on which end of CC they dig into while giving us more muscle for any fight that happens at Steth. If my estimates are correct, on turn four the northerners will be right outside Steth, and the southerners will be inside, so they can spend the next turn switching to battle order and securing the place, possibly with conditional orders to charge or open fire if any enemies are spotted. Once we take the town, the northern troops keep going, diagonally southwest; they either stop in Taillis Douche to ambush any BEF moving around in that corner of the map, or they just move down to the southern ford, hopefully while the enemy's been committing to taking/defending Steth and CC. My worry is if that will leave a brigade alone and unsupported in the town, but the situation does call for some aggressiveness.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 9, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

If we can take Foret de Effyadders I think it could be significantly more useful?

A line of cavalry along that white border would allow infantry to cross over all three northern fords at once in safety. In contrast, a force in Bois de Blob would only really protect the southernmost ford.

For the first two cavalry brigades, remember that anything they haven't spotted by Turn 8 my reinforcement brigade won't know about. The more you see by then, the more useful I can be.

FdE is a death trap, I think we should avoid it. They're most likely to expect us to attempt the central and northern fords.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tevery Best posted:

I like image editing, and some puttering around with Photoshop is something I'm keen on for a variety of RL reasons. Thanks though! If you let me know what font you used, I will do my best to ensure Precise Standardization, the cornerstone of German Efficiency.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

How fast can we get a brigade to Ford G if it does nothing but beeline there (with a turn to shake out into battle order at some point)?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Oh, speaking of traps! Staff officers, get us some number crunching on visual and weapon ranges from all the forests, especially Taillis Douche and Bois de Blob. Machine guns, rifles, artillery, we need to know how safe the crossings are if they have men waiting for us.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

My suggestion:

Still waiting for the numbers to be crunched, but the common estimate is that by the southern road, our cavalry will reach Stethoscope by turn 4, and on the northern road they'll reach it by turn 5. In roll20 I've repeatedly advocated we converge on the town, since it's likely the BEF will be heading to Steth and CC to use the defensive terrain to stop our advance dead in its tracks, and that way our approach will be visually shielded depending on which end of CC they dig into while giving us more muscle for any fight that happens at Steth. If my estimates are correct, on turn four the northerners will be right outside Steth, and the southerners will be inside, so they can spend the next turn switching to battle order and securing the place, possibly with conditional orders to charge or open fire if any enemies are spotted. Once we take the town, the northern troops keep going, diagonally southwest; they either stop in Taillis Douche to ambush any BEF moving around in that corner of the map, or they just move down to the southern ford, hopefully while the enemy's been committing to taking/defending Steth and CC. My worry is if that will leave a brigade alone and unsupported in the town, but the situation does call for some aggressiveness.

I generally support this. However, after we take the town, we should send one of our two starting brigades down the middle road, and send our reinforcing brigade (hopefully after deploying from CC) down the third east-west road, thereby maximizing the possibility of establishing a bridgehead over the central river. One brigade might get wiped, but if the other two get over the river that's more than worth it.

e: I'm a huge moron who thought Cryo's orders were for only one brigade, look upon my stupidity, o observers, and despair

disjoe fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 9, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The middle road is the one they'll most expect us to go down after taking Steth, and if they want Steth too, they're most likely to be taking that road themselves. Sending troops down there is just going to get them killed.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

The middle road is the one they'll most expect us to go down after taking Steth, and if they want Steth too, they're most likely to be taking that road themselves. Sending troops down there is just going to get them killed.

If I were in their situation, I would minimally defend the center because I would think we think it's a deathtrap.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If I were in their shoes I would think that, unless I thought we thought they would minimally defend the centre because we think it's a death trap. As well, there's the chance we just happen to run right into them rather than them actively expecting us to try that ford, and there's two forests from which the ford is probably in machine-gunning and shelling range. The term "fish in a barrel" comes to mind.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ah, but what if we have to play two levels of meta higher to outplay them because they're expecting us to play on this level of meta so they played one higher.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The four northern fords are all in rifle range of the Foret Effyaders. The southern three are about 12" from the Bois de Blob, so they can be covered by machine guns in the woods. So I think we have to assume that these crossings will be opposed by units that gain cover in the woods.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What does the non crossing division want to do if Stethoscope turns out to be empty/after it's taken?

No point leaving them to get drunk in town for a couple of hours when they could be scouting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Quick point of order for observers/people who missed it in Roll20, we're referring to the fords as Ford A-G from top to bottom.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'd say be ready to hold the town just in case. Our third brigade arrives a few turns later, so we could bring them up to reinforce a push on Ford G.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

What does the non crossing division want to do if Stethoscope turns out to be empty/after it's taken?

No point leaving them to get drunk in town for a couple of hours when they could be scouting.

If the division's orders are to take the town and Ford G, then it makes sense to leave one brigade in the town to preserve flexibility.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Crazycryodude et all

What are our long term plans for taking Effyaders? How does taking the southern ford, instead of say, the center or northern ford help us accomplish those goals? Is securing Stethoscope helpful in any way to those long term plans?

I keep asking this because I've yet to hear any discussion about how to achieve our actual objective and everyone agrees that Stethescope has no value in and of itself.

Personally, I favor a Southern approach because it is harder to contest the fords down there and the Saucisson Vallee provides a uniquely safe approach to just barely within indirect fire range of Effyaders and control of the central road. Trying to push forward through the hills to the North will seems likely to turn into a boondoggle for someone.

On the other hand, assaulting into the Saucisson could easily turn into a death trap since we won't know what's in there until we get close. Unless we a have a scout plane that can check it shortly before our soldiers arrived. Troops placed along the Southern edge of Foret de Effyaders (I just realized how confusing this name is) can interdict troops passing along the center road and obviously completely control the Northern.

I have every confidence in G. Saros and his Brigade commanders to accomplish our short term objectives. It is Corps Command and staff's duty and privilege to determine which short term objectives will best position our Corps to accomplish our ultimate objective - taking Effyaders from the perfidious British and isolating the weak French from their island allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

disjoe posted:

If the division's orders are to take the town and Ford G, then it makes sense to leave one brigade in the town to preserve flexibility.

Not to mention telephone lines and whatever taking the town does for our deployment zone.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread